What Are You Reading Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never read Karen Kingsbury before, but I just wandered over to Amazon to see what her books are about. They look like something I'd really enjoy. Any recommendations for a first time Kinsbury reader? BTW, I lovw to read also.

If you don't want to start off with her "Redemption" series (about the Baxter family - which includes two other series for a total of 14 books), you could try "A Thousand Tomorrows" by Karen Kingsbury or her 2-book series (fiction - centering around 9/11 and a case of mistaken identity - "One Tuesday Morning" and "Beyond Tuesday Morning".. I've recently ordered "Like Dandelion Dust" - which sounds very interesting.. Be aware that she is a contemporary Christian writer and while not all of her books are filled with a lot of "conversations with God" (for lack of a better way of describing it), the "Redemption" series and the two that follow ("First Born" series and "Sunrise" series) definitely are.. It doesn't make them "preachy" though - just shows how a strong faith can get people through some of the hardest times and worst tragedies..:goodvibes

I finished the 4th book of the "First Born" series earlier last evening and now I'm on to the 5th - and last - of that series before I move on to the "Sunrise" series - the last of the Baxters..

She's a great writer.. One who gives you a lot to think about..:thumbsup2

Today I abandoned "19 Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. Maybe the Columbine connection is to upsetting to me?:confused3

Have to pick something for tonight.....

Have you read "Vanishing Acts" by Jodi Picoult? It's a great book - and not nearly as sad or upsetting as some of the others..:goodvibes

I'm trying to get through
21d%2BTRvQFsL._SL500_AA160_.jpg

but I'm having a hard time.

The first part of the book was mostly the author whining. Whining about her decision to end her marriage, then immediately jumping into another disasterous relationship with the absolutely wrong person. Sorry, but I just can't feel much sympathy for whiners. :sad2:

The next part is her going around stuffing her face in Italy and learning Italian. :rolleyes:

Now, I'm reading about her talking about meditation. Now, meditation is boring enough already, but reading about someone talking about meditation is just unbearable.

I'm really hoping this picks up . . .

I'm currently reading "Dead as a Doornail" by Charlaine Harris. I'm so addicted to these Sookie Stackhouse books. I'm also watching True Blood on HBO. The show is a lot different than the books, but it's good, too.

I don't know what I'll read when I've read all the Stackhouse books. I also need to find something to take with me on a 7-night cruise. Any suggestions?

Have you read "Vanishing Acts" by Jodi Picoult? It's a great book - and not nearly as sad or upsetting as some of the others..:goodvibes

I read "Mercy" & "The Pact". Maybe she's just not for me......I liked both books but didn't love them.

Would you believe I started another Beverly Lewis last night? :)
The 1st of the "Courtship of Nellie Fischer" series.

I have had 3 boxes from B&N arrive in the last week. I have books stacked in many places & DH just shakes his head.

Would you believe I started another Beverly Lewis last night? :)
The 1st of the "Courtship of Nellie Fischer" series.

I have had 3 boxes from B&N arrive in the last week. I have books stacked in many places & DH just shakes his head.

Oh - you're going to love that series!! I have another one here (after I finish the Baxter series) - "Amish Country Crossroads" (3 books) by Beverly Lewis..

When my latest book order comes in I'll have some other Amish books from a few Amish fiction writers I haven't tried yet: Cindy Woodsmall; Evie Yoder Miller; Amy Clipston; and P.L. Glaus.. :thumbsup2 (P.L. Glaus writes mystery Amish fiction - the book I ordered is: "Blood Of The Prodigal")..

I'll let you know what I think of each of these authors as I start reading their books.. I'm really getting into this Amish stuff.. Pretty soon I'll be walking around saying, "Ach", "selfsame", and "jah" - LOL..:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm trying to get through
21d%2BTRvQFsL._SL500_AA160_.jpg

but I'm having a hard time.

The first part of the book was mostly the author whining. Whining about her decision to end her marriage, then immediately jumping into another disasterous relationship with the absolutely wrong person. Sorry, but I just can't feel much sympathy for whiners. :sad2:

The next part is her going around stuffing her face in Italy and learning Italian. :rolleyes:

Now, I'm reading about her talking about meditation. Now, meditation is boring enough already, but reading about someone talking about meditation is just unbearable.

I'm really hoping this picks up . . .

I felt the same way about the book. It was extremely self-indulgent! I finished it, but it's not something I would read again.

I plan to start the Sookie stackhouse books. Do you have to read them in order? If so, what is the first one?

I plan to start the Sookie stackhouse books. Do you have to read them in order? If so, what is the first one?

While I believe you could read them out of order, you would definately miss the forming of some relationships she has. So I would suggest reading them in order.

In order:
Dead until Dark
Living Dead in Dallas
Club Dead
Dead to the World
Dead as a Doornail
Definiitely Dead
All Together Dead
From Dead to Worse
Dead and Gone

Yesterday I finished reading "The Dive from Clausen's Pier." It was an ok book. Some of the prose was beautifully written, but at times, the author got so sappy and self-indulgent, it was hard to slog through. I did think that the subject matter was very thought provoking! After finishing that I picked up "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom". Let me preface by saying that I'm not a really big sci/fi fan. This was difficult for me to get into. However, I finished it this afternoon. It was ok. If you like science fiction and Disney World all mixed together, try it.

Now I'm on to the final book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series. The title of this one is "The Last Olympian." I've really liked these books and hopefully I can get my 10 year old son interested in reading them!

After that, I need to get to the library to pick up the books I have waiting for me there.

The Diary by Eileen Goudge~Just started it last night I'll let you know how it is.

I really enjoyed, Crooked House, by Agatha Christie. I thought it was well done and suspenseful. I had an inkling of who did it, but I wasn't sure. It was a surprise to me in the end. Cold, cold, cold.

I just started, Elephants Can Remember, by her. I'm enjoying it. Next up, I have, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

I really enjoyed, Crooked House, by Agatha Christie. I thought it was well done and suspenseful. I had an inkling of who did it, but I wasn't sure. It was a surprise to me in the end. Cold, cold, cold.

I just started, Elephants Can Remember, by her. I'm enjoying it. Next up, I have, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

I loved Fried Green Tomatoes... It was a really great book, and (no surprise here) I enjoyed it much more than the movie. I have also liked other books by Fannie Flagg. Great story telling!

I loved Fried Green Tomatoes... It was a really great book, and (no surprise here) I enjoyed it much more than the movie. I have also liked other books by Fannie Flagg. Great story telling!

Glad to hear it! The book was recommended by another DISer. I'm sure I'll like it. I loved the movie, but I'm sure this is better. I'm wondering if I'll get hooked on Fannie Flagg too. That's how it goes with me usually. If I like an author, I just stick with him or her till there isn't anything else to read. :upsidedow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter