• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We've Been Here Two Hours...Let's Figure Out When We Can Come Back! (updated 10/2)

I'm so glad your tr is back up and running! :) I think it is so sweet that your parents could go and experience their first time with their granddaughters. :goodvibes What happy memories that will make for all of them. They seem like really good sports too!
Good start to your park days, I hope the rest of the trip went this well. :thumbsup2

Day 1 in the Parks, Part 2: Epcot continued, ‘Ohana, and MK

Sorry for the delay…things have been busy with school, sports, work, and life. Since my last update, Minnie has turned 15 and now has her learner’s permit. Watch out! :scared1: She had her first driving lesson last night (thanks to Papa since DH wasn’t home) and did a good job.

My PhotoPass CD finally arrived this weekend so I’ll be adding some of those pictures soon. :banana:

To pick up where we left off…it was now 12:45 and we decided to split up. We still had our 6 FPs for TT and Grandma most definitely did not want to ride it again. Her main goal was to get to WS and spend some time looking and shopping around the world. So the plan was for DH, Papa, and the girls to go ride TT and then meet up with us in WS. The Plan was generally ok with this, even though it had wanted to keep the family together as much as possible, because The Plan was fairly sure that Grandma wasn't going to want to ride any rides at all and the "menfolk" in the group didn't really want to do any shopping at all and prefer rides to walking around WS. As we were splitting up, Tinkerbell decided she would rather go with Grandma and me and so we ended up in two groups of three.

As we were heading in the direction of WS we saw one of the Kim Possible kiosks. Tinkerbell had been wanting to try KP so we got her signed up to do that. I think her scheduled time was 1:20 in Norway. By this time it was getting rather hot (although not nearly as hot as it would get later in the week). We decided to take the boat across the lagoon to WS since it would give us a few minutes off our feet. The boat ended up being full (I guess a lot of people had the same idea!). It was a nice little ride and we got off in Morocco and slowly made our way over to Norway, stopping to look in the shops along the way. We stopped in the Outpost (why is it called that?) for cold water and sodas and then arrived in Norway. Grandma was hot and wanted to rest so she sat on a bench with a lovely view of the lagoon while Tinkerbell and I ran around Norway doing the KP mission. While we were doing that, DH, Papa, and Minnie arrived after riding TT. They had a 20 minute wait in line with their FPs (it was probably the longest FP return line we had all week). Minnie joined in on the KP missions Tinkerbell was doing.

I have to admit that none of us really enjoyed the KP thing. :sad2: I don’t know if it’s Tinkerbell’s age or the fact that it was hot and humid and it felt like we were just crisscrossing Norway non-stop, always ending up in the same few places, or what it was…but after doing several mission segments Tinkerbell decided she was done and went and turned in the Kimmunicator. I asked her if she would like to try again in another country and she said no. It just didn’t interest her.

After turning in the Kimmunicator, DH, Minnie, and Papa rode Maelstrom (5 minute wait) while Grandma, Tinkerbell, and I looked around the stores. We then set off towards Japan. We had a mission – Minnie wanted to do the Pick-a-Pearl (an early birthday gift). It sprinkled just a little bit while we were in Germany and Italy, but not enough to notice. Papa saw a sign for the Supremes show and wanted to see it but unfortunately they weren’t performing then (we did come back later in the week and saw part of the show and called Papa from my cell phone so he could hear it, LOL).

Some pictures as we made our way around the world (in no particular order):

Yes, I’m actually in this picture!
IMG_3071.jpg

DH, Minnie, and Tinkerbell:
IMG_3069.jpg

Minnie and Me:
IMG_3070.jpg

Grandma and Papa:
IMG_3072.jpg

I just loved this light fixture in Morocco – everyone thought I was crazy for taking pictures of a light but I really thought it was lovely:
IMG_3083.jpg

Anyway…we arrived in Japan and went straight to the Pick-a-Pearl counter in Mitsukoshi. We were surprised that there really wasn’t a crowd at all -- I was prepared for huge crowds but there weren't many people. There was only one person ahead of us. Minnie picked out the biggest, ugliest, hairiest oyster she could find and was very excited that it had a 7.5mm pinkish pearl in it. (I took pictures but they didn’t turn out at all) The CM banged the drum and showed off the pearl and gushed over it so Minnie was very happy. :cloud9: She looked at settings but wasn’t sure yet what she wanted so we decided to look at DTD later in the week before deciding on a setting.

We found a PhotoPass photographer in Morocco and got our first magic shots – Tinkerbell wings on both of the girls (will post those pictures soon since I just got the CD). The girls weren’t sure what the heck was going on when the photographer told them to stand sideways and hold their arms out. LOL Afterwards I told them what it was all about and they were really excited. We didn’t see any other PhotoPass photographers in WS. As we continued our journey around WS, Papa heard British Invasion playing and got really excited because he is a HUGE Beatles fan, so we went back and watched part of their show. It was nice to sit down in some shade and relax for a little while. By now it was about 2:45. We refilled our water bottles, made a restroom stop in Canada (I have still never gotten to really tour Canada and Great Britain – my family is always too worn out by the time we get there so next time I want to start my WS tour in those countries), and decided to go use our Soarin’ FPs as we left the park and headed towards our ADR at ‘Ohana. BTW, the women’s restroom in Canada was not very clean and it smelled terrible – the only less-than-clean restroom I’ve encountered in WDW.

Grandma wanted to do more sightseeing and shopping but we were all hot and tired by now. We had decided to stay at Epcot longer in lieu of taking a resort break this day since it was the only day Grandma and Papa had at the parks…and we were all feeling the heat, humidity, and miles of walking by this point in time. We had at least seen all of the countries except Mexico, so Grandma was fairly satisfied. And they were already planning a return trip with a full day devoted to Grandma seeing whatever she wanted in WS!
We got back to Soarin’ at 3:00 and had a 10 minute wait in the FP return line. This time I swore to myself that I would keep my eyes open for the entire ride and not hold on to the handlebars. (I’m such a wuss!) This ride never disappoints – it’s always wonderful. We were talking, though, about how neat it would be if they would come up with some other movies so it isn’t always the same one…what about movies that would take us over the other countries were Disney parks are located? Or the various countries in the WS? It would be neat if they had several so that you never knew which one you were going to get (like the randomized drop sequences on TOT). Just a suggestion to WDW for how they could improve the ride….but even if they never change it, we’ll continue to ride it because we love it!

So after Soarin’, no one wanted to do TT again except me…we still had 3 FPs for TT and I wanted to ride but no one else did, so we found some people to give the FPs to. It was nice to see the smiles on their faces! It always feels good to spread a little magic in WDW. As we headed out, everyone wanted to ride Spaceship Earth (it was closed on our last trip). The line looked really long but the sign said it was only a 5 minute wait and we had time so everyone but Tinkerbell and I went on SE. I didn’t want to because I’m really claustrophobic and I just wasn’t sure how that would go. Tinkerbell said she didn’t want me to be alone so she waited with me. We looked around at the little shop there (darn, what is the name of that shop?), took a few pictures, munched on some trail mix, and rested while we waited for everyone to get off the ride. They all enjoyed the ride and said it was “corny but cute”, especially picking their futures and seeing the pictures of themselves. Minnie’s picture was projected on the big screen inside so she thought that was neat. We gathered ourselves up and headed out of Epcot so we could make our way to our ADR at ‘Ohana. We never did use our VIP FP from being family of the day since we had FPs for everything we wanted to do twice, so we decided to keep it and I'll include it in our trip scrapbook.

A few general thoughts on Epcot, before I move on – we were amazed at how light the crowds were. Really, it was wonderful. The weather cooperated and although it was definitely hot and humid, it wasn’t unbearable. The CMs were all very helpful and happy and the girls had a lot of fun trading pins. Grandma and Papa were very impressed with the entire experience and couldn’t wait to come back and spend more time there. The Plan had worked beautifully and everyone was really happy. Everyone was in a good mood and had gotten to do what they wanted to do. The Plan was happy because we hadn’t deviated too much and even when we did, we got back on track quickly and everything worked out well. :cool1:

Papa was excited to ride the monorail and the ride was very relaxing. Our ADR at ‘Ohana was for 5:20 and we arrived a 5:00. The waiting area was packed and we were all worried that it would be a long wait. Minnie and Tinkerbell were a bit worn out by now and started picking at each other. *Sigh* Fortunately, we only waited about five minutes until it was time to be seated. I wish we had been seated by the window, but we weren’t. (Thinking back, I should have asked to be moved since there were lots of tables available by the window.) Our server “Cousin” was very sweet and attentive and kept the food coming and our drinks filled. Papa and Minnie ordered virgin Pina Coladas and they were so yummy! The bread was fabulous, as was pretty much everything. I do miss the potatoes – the noodles just aren’t the same. My favorite is the salad – I could eat that salad all day (in fact, we make that same salad dressing at home – yummy). Tinkerbell didn’t like the shrimp because she doesn’t like to peel them (can’t say that I blame her). I didn’t try the turkey but DH and Papa said it was really good. Grandma loved the Asian dumplings. We ALL loved dessert…oh my goodness, that bread pudding with the banana caramel sauce and real vanilla ice cream is SO good…wow….just thinking about it makes my mouth water. :love: We’ve made it at a home once or twice and it’s pretty good, but just not the same.

A picture….
IMG_3097.jpg

The entertainment was, as always, fun and lively. It was fun to watch all of the kids hula. Minnie talked Tinkerbell into going up to hula even though Tinkerbell didn’t really want to (she’s shy)…and then as soon as Minnie got her lei, she left Tinkerbell hanging and came back to the table. LOL We handed her the camera and told her to go take pictures for us.

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

After the dancing, Tinkerbell came back and wasn’t too terribly upset with her sister for ditching her (LOL). We tried to get Grandma and Papa to go dance but they managed to get out of it. :rotfl:

After dinner, we decided to go to MK because Papa really wanted to ride BTMRR. We stopped for a few PhotoPass pictures in front of MK and then headed in. We decided to take the train back around rather than go through the crowds (and also saving Grandma some walking) so we just headed up the stairs and waited about 5 minutes for a train and hopped on board. I love riding the train in MK…I don’t know why, but I do. There was one guy who kept putting his arms out on the train and the “conductor” kept reminding him to pull his arms back in…finally she told him she would stop the train if he wouldn’t stop sticking his arms out the side. LOL

Now, is it just me or is the area around BTMRR and SM absolutely the most crowded spot in all of MK? Wow – there’s hardly any room to move in there! :sad2: Anyway, the posted wait time for BTMRR was 30 minutes so everyone decided to just ride standby while Grandma and I did a little looking around and shopping. (We knew there was no way she would ride BTMRR!) Grandma and I looked in a couple of little shops and then rode IASW (posted wait 5 minutes and that’s about what it was). While were on IASW, I got a text message from Minnie that they were done with BTMRR – even though the posted wait time was 30 minutes, it only took them 15 minutes to get through. I was surprised! We met up with them and decided to go see Mickey’s PhilharMagic. The posted wait time was 10 minutes but it was really only 5. We all loved the show – it was a lot of fun. I love the 3-D shows at WDW (other than HISTA…and I’ve never tried ITTBAB because I HATE bugs).
After Mickey’s PhilharMagic we decided to just wander around a bit. Everyone was tired and worn out…it had been a long day! I took a picture of the Randy Pausch plaque at the tea cups – I read his book this summer and really enjoyed it, so I wanted to be sure to find the plaque:
IMG_3101.jpg

We didn’t ride anymore rides – we were all worn out. The wait times really weren’t too bad, though. It was about 7:30 and the wait times were: Dumbo, 30 minutes; Peter Pan, 40 minutes; Snow White, 20 minutes; tea cups, 20 minutes; Tomorrowland Speedway, 20 minutes. Since no one really wanted to ride anything else, we decided to head back to the hotel and go swimming. I took this picture as we walked down Main Street…it looks really crowded and Main Street was crowded, but the crowds weren’t too bad back in the “lands”.
IMG_3104.jpg

It was about 8 pm and there were still some really good parade spots left on Main Street, which surprised me!

We waited about 15 minutes for our bus and made our way back to the hotel. Once we got there, we all changed into swimming attire and headed to the pool. Grandma and I sat with our feet in the hot tub while everyone else swam. Our feet were tired and the hot tub felt so good! The hot tub was pretty crowded so after a little while we moved to some pool chairs. Grandma and I went in to OPR to do a little souvenir shopping and I bought our refillable mugs (I think the red lids/handles clash with the cups…but oh well…), and we all just relaxed and enjoyed a little time at the pool. It was a lovely way to end a very full, very fun day in the parks. Grandma and Papa were already planning a return trip and I was trying to figure out how I could convince DH that we needed to come back with them! (As you can tell from my signature, I found a way – we’ll be going back in October for MNSSHP and to use more of our water park/Disney Quest ticket days). We were so excited that we had been able to introduce Grandma and Papa to WDW and that they loved it as much as us! In fact, Papa is talking about the possibility of a big family trip with more of the family in a couple of years…if we can get the entire immediate family to come, that will be one heck of a Grand Gathering since I have three married sisters who all have children, plus a brother!

Next Up: Day 2…we say goodbye to Grandma and Papa and “The Girls” have some mother/daughter bonding (shopping) time in DTD

It sounds like your plan worked perfectly. I am glad everyone had a good time. Epcot is a really big park, it is so hard to see everything you want to see. I guess that is what makes "next time" so exciting.

Great first day!! :goodvibes What did you end you doing with the pearl? We did that on this trip too and Krista loved it. I had ordered the pearl cages off Ebay, the one of Cinderellas coach, and after wearing it for day it tarnished! :eek: Now I have two pearls and not really sure what to do with them? :confused:

You are right, we sooo need to get "Tink" and Krista together, she wasn't about to get up and hula at Ohana this trip! What is it about this age??

Great first day!! :goodvibes What did you end you doing with the pearl? We did that on this trip too and Krista loved it. I had ordered the pearl cages off Ebay, the one of Cinderellas coach, and after wearing it for day it tarnished! :eek: Now I have two pearls and not really sure what to do with them? :confused:

You are right, we sooo need to get "Tink" and Krista together, she wasn't about to get up and hula at Ohana this trip! What is it about this age??

She ended up finding a ring (back at Epcot) and we had it set in that. We went with an inexpensive sterling silver setting and for her 18th birthday (assuming that she hasn't lost the ring), we'll have it reset in a white gold setting. We saw the Cinderella's coach cages on Ebay but I was worried about them tarnishing. I'm glad we didn't buy one! Tinkerbell ended up doing "Pick a Pearl" later in the week and she got a pearl that is a twin to Minnie's. She had hers set in a necklace at Epcot.

A few PhotoPass pictures from Day 1...

Epcot...
Image1320.jpg

Test Track -- yeah, Grandma didn't like this at all!
Image1346.jpg

With Mickey...
Image1366.jpg

The Girls with Minnie and Donald
Image1394.jpg

Image1398.jpg

Image1406.jpg
Image1410.jpg

In Morocco...
Image1453.jpg

Magic shots...
Image1461.jpg

Image1466.jpg

France...
Image1480.jpg

At MK...
Image1517.jpg

Great update! And love your photopass pics! The wings magic shot is great! I didn't see that one until after we came back!

Great update and love the photopass pics. I hadn't seen the Tinkerbell wings one before, very cool.

I agree with you, the area there at SM and BTMRR is the worse.

You did have a long day, but sounds like a great one.:goodvibes

Great pictures! I love the magic shot with the Tinkerbell wings! I have never seen that before.

Thanks! I had never seen the Tinkerbell wings magic shot before, either, so I was really excited about it.

Loving your TR -
great looking family !
I read Randy Pausch this summer, too !

:cool1:

Thanks! I really loved his book and gave it to a few high school graduates from church as a graduation gift. They loved it, too,

Great update! And love your photopass pics! The wings magic shot is great! I didn't see that one until after we came back!

Thank you!

Great update and love the photopass pics. I hadn't seen the Tinkerbell wings one before, very cool.

I agree with you, the area there at SM and BTMRR is the worse.

You did have a long day, but sounds like a great one.:goodvibes

Thanks! The SM/BTMRR area is SO crowded and congested. You would think they could have found a way to space them out a bit or adjust the area to account for the traffic flow. Having two of the headliner rides in such close proximity to each other causes crazy traffic jams. It was definitely a long day, but we loved it.

Day 2…we say goodbye to Grandma and Papa and “The Girls” have some mother/daughter bonding (shopping) time in DTD

Today was our first scheduled non-park day. We weren’t able to sleep in much, though, because Grandma and Papa are early risers and they wanted to have breakfast and get on the road so they could get back home. We were sad they were going back home after just one day, but that was just the way things worked out with their work schedules. :guilty: The good news was that they had enjoyed themselves so much that they had already asked me to help them plan a few more weekend trips so they could use as many of their park ticket days as possible before they expired in December. Yea!! :cloud9: The magic of Disney World had been worked on them…they are now hooked.

We all got up, got ready for the day, and decided to have breakfast together at OPR before they left. This was the only time during our trip that we did a sit-down breakfast…we’re just not big breakfast eaters. Grandma had a Mickey waffle and she liked it. Papa had a breakfast platter and he said it was good. Minnie had a children’s breakfast platter and it was just the right amount of food for her. I had a French toast platter and it was way too much food for me (and I liked that the French toast wasn’t soggy – I hate soggy French toast). Tinkerbell had a fruit cup and part of my French toast. I can’t remember what DH had. None of it was really out-of-this-world amazing food, but it was fine.

After breakfast we did some shopping at OPR. Grandma bought a cookbook and some little odds and ends items for the grandkids. She wanted to make sure that the others who didn’t come on this trip got a Disney souvenir, plus she did a little Christmas shopping (we like to get our Christmas shopping done early!). The previous day, Tinkerbell had done some pin trading and got a Hidden Mickey pin that looked like a chestnut, which we discovered later had fallen off and gotten lost. At OPR they had some “mystery pin” packs and the girls each bought one. Tinkerbell was thrilled to find that same pin in her package. She was so excited!! :banana: After that, we went for a walk to Caribbean Cay. There were lots of turtles in the little lake there (BTW, the water is really green and murky – I can see why they say no swimming in it – I don’t know why anyone would want to swim in that water :eek:) and we had fun watching them swim around. Caribbean Cay is a very nice little play to relax – lots of hammocks, a covered picnic table, little sandy play areas for children…it’s well shaded with so many beautiful trees and shrubs. We rested in some hammocks for a few minutes and just enjoyed being there. It was still pretty quiet outside – not many people in the pool – and it was beautiful morning weather. After relaxing for a bit, we walked back to Barbados and helped Grandma and Papa load up the car, and sent them off on their way home. (Funny thing – Papa called about two hours later and said he didn’t know why they had been in such a hurry to leave…they wished they had stayed longer and spent some time touring other resorts, riding the monorail again, or whatever – yes, we definitely got them hooked!)

We were all a bit sad after they left. :sad1: We headed up to the hotel room and tried to regroup and start on the rest of our day. This was our first non-park day and The Plan had us scheduled to tour other resorts, go take pictures of the place in Orlando I wanted to take pictures of, then go to DTD for lunch and look around there (we hadn’t been there before), go swimming, rent paddleboats on the lagoon at CBR, and watch the Epcot fireworks from the beach. No one but me really wanted to go look around other resorts. I had planned for us to do a little sightseeing in Orlando (a specific place I wanted to go take pictures of), but no one else wanted to do that and I wasn’t comfortable enough, even with GPS, to wander off and do it on my own. A big golf tournament was on TV (can’t remember which one) and DH wanted to stay in the room and watch that (“I’m on vacation too and this is what I want to do for a while!” – sorry buddy, but The Plan doesn't include watching Tiger Woods play golf). The girls and I didn’t really want to watch golf on TV and I’m not the kind of person who can spend all day in a hotel room and be happy about it – I’m a “get moving” kind of girl. The Plan had scheduled a full day…and no one was really cooperating. *Sigh* :sad2:

The girls and I decided to go ahead and go to DTD to look around and get some lunch while we were there. DH hates shopping with a passion and he had absolutely no desire to go with us. From the look of things, he was perfectly happy to just lie on the bed watching golf. The girls and I headed to the bus stop and waited about 15 minutes for the bus to DTD. A picture of us on the bus…

IMG_3134.jpg

When we got there, we wanted to find Earl of Sandwich and get some lunch. I’m not good at all with maps and I couldn’t tell where it was from the map, so we decided to just start walking and see where we ended up. Fortunately, we found it quickly. That place was SO crowded! :scared1: We decided what we wanted and I got in line and the girls found a table. I had the veggie sandwich, Minnie had the All American, and Tinkerbell had the Full Montague. The sandwiches were wonderful! We loved them and decided that we definitely needed to come back before the end of our trip. The prices were fabulous and the sandwiches were big and yummy! I wish they sold some of their sauces, though – I would have bought several.

After filling our tummies, we started browsing and shopping. We went to the kitchen store and I bought some Mickey macaroni and cheese for our niece and a lovely apron and matching hot pads for Grandma for Christmas (she likes aprons). I am still tempted to go back and get a polka dotted Minnie apron for myself… The next stop was the pin store where the girls spend forever browsing through the pins and picking out new ones for their collection and posing with our two favorite couples…

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

Next we headed to Goofy’s Candy Co., even though we were still stuffed from lunch and couldn’t eat another bite. Minnie bought some sour candies for herself and we had some Mickey rice krispie treats and pretzel rods done…some dark chocolate with sprinkles and caramel and some regular chocolate with sprinkles and caramel. I couldn’t believe how many sprinkles they packed onto those things! I expected just the ears to be dipped but they dipped the entire thing. Next time, I’m going to ask just to have the ears dipped. While the rice krispie treats were yummy, my favorite was the pretzel rods. Can’t wait to go back! A few pictures from Goofy’s Candy Co…
This is a huge Mickey rice krispie treat that is supposed to serve something like 50 people. It’s huge!
IMG_3116.jpg

We watched them make our treats…
IMG_3112.jpg

Goofy’s Candy Co. sign made out of jelly beans…
IMG_3114.jpg

Minnie showing off one of her treats back at the hotel…
IMG_3139.jpg

Next up we went to the Pick a Pearl kiosk but they wouldn’t show us any settings because we hadn’t brought Minnie’s pearl with us. She wasn’t happy about that. We knew the size of the pearl, so why couldn’t we just look at a few settings so she could get an idea of what she might want? Oh well.
Next stop was Basin and we had a lot of fun smelling the different soaps and bath bombs and using the sample scrubs on our hands. It was nice but we couldn’t stay in there long because all of the strong scents started giving me a headache.

We had a great time exploring World of Disney – that place is huge! TInkerbell was happy to see her favorite character atop the building…
IMG_3432.jpg

We walked through the place that has the scrapbooking supplies and we were really disappointed – our local Hobby Lobby has a bigger selection of Disney scrapbooking products than they did. We played around with customized Mickey ears but ended up not getting any. We also went to Tren-D…it was a cute store but we saw a lot of things that we had seen at other stores the day before. (We went back later in the week and still, most of the stuff in Tren-D was stuff we had seen at other stores in the parks.)
A picture of the ceiling with all of the chandeliers….
IMG_3421.jpg

And the Lego Store – wow! This place was so cool! We actually didn’t even go in (at least not this day) – we just wandered around the outside taking pictures of all of the Lego sculptures. We were really impressed with the cityscapes in the windows – those were amazing. It was fun to notice that the Lego dogs were in most of them.
IMG_3124.jpg

By this time it was starting to sprinkle a bit so we decided to head back to the hotel to see what DH was doing. We waited about 10 minutes for a bus…not bad! When we got back to the hotel, DH was still watching golf. I took the girls swimming in the quiet pool for a little while, and then we decided to eat dinner at OPR instead of going to look around other resorts (The Plan and I were not happy about this – I still haven’t had a chance to look at any other resorts!). Tinkerbell and I shared rotisserie chicken (it was ok but the side dishes weren’t hot enough), Minnie had salmon (she said it was ok), and DH had a cheeseburger with fries (he said it was good). After dinner we went swimming at the main pool and decided to go to bed early since Tinkerbell had a BBB appointment at 8 a.m. the next morning. I stopped at guest services in OPR to find out the best way to get to MK by 7:45 and encountered the only not-so-helpful CM of our entire trip. :sad1: He didn’t know if the buses would be running early enough to get us there on time or if we should drive ourselves or take a taxi. We went back to our room and decided to just drive ourselves the next morning.

After watching TV for a little while, Minnie and I decided to go watch the Epcot fireworks from OPR while DH and Tinkerbell stayed in the room. We had a nice walk along the lagoon and saw some bunnies and ducks. While we were watching the fireworks (a great view!), a snake came across the sidewalk and freaked us out. LOL

All in all, it was a good day. The girls and I had a great time at DTD and it was fun to spend some “girl time” together. DH was happy because he got to watch golf and didn’t have to go shopping. Grandma and Papa decided that they should have stayed the entire day with us and driven back that night (now they know for next time!). And we all were in bed at a relatively early time, with visions of MK dancing in our heads!

Next Up: Day 3 –BBB and MK – Another Princess is Born and Tinkerbell Meets Tinkerbell

Loved all your CBR pics :love: Don't you just love relaxing days like this? (it's too bad you didn't get to stick to the Plan and not see the other resorts plus Orlando. But at least it gives you something to look forward to on your next trip, right? ;)) I had 4 full days solo back in December and had fun seeing AKL, SSR and a little bit of CBR. I stayed at BWV and finally ventured over to Beach & Yacht Club resorts - they were so pretty w/all the Christmas decorations.

Those snacks you all made at Goofy's look so yummy!

I love the relaxing days! You do almost have to plan for them or they don't happen, it's too easy to get caught up in all the craziness.

I totally agree about the scrapbooking supplies. :sad2: You would think you could find at least one unique thing in the parks. DD kept asking me if we were going to buy any and I told her the same thing you said, Hobby Lobby has more to choose from AND I think the stuff is cuter there. Very disappointing.

We loved Earl of Sandwich too! :thumbsup2 I was impressed at how good the sandwiches were and their prices were very good for park food. I don't think I would waste a counter service on it, just pay oop.

Love the photopass pic of the wings! Never seen that one before.

Day 3 – BBB and MK – Another Princess is Born and Tinkerbell Meets Tinkerbell

Sorry for the delay between posts! Isn’t it miserable when everyday life interferes with Disney dreams? *sigh* This post won’t have pictures since I’m at work (shhhh – don’t tell! :rolleyes1) and I don’t have access to my pictures. But I’ll post lots from home to accompany this installment.

So it’s now Day 3 – MK and, especially, Tinkerbell’s BBB appointment. Tinkerbell is a bit of a tomboy, so I was really surprised when she asked for a BBB appointment as a birthday gift (her birthday was a couple of months before our trip but she got the idea from the WDW vacation planning DVD, so I made up a lovely gift certificate for her to open on her birthday and she was so excited!). You may recall that we had some trouble figuring out how to get to MK this morning since her appointment was at 8 am and we were supposed to arrive at 7:45. Apparently, The Plan hadn’t thought this through…it just assumed that, if we had to be at MK at 7:45, the buses would be running so we could get there. Oh well – even The Plan can’t be perfect all the time. ;) The CM at guest services at OPR told us the buses wouldn’t be running that early and we could get a cab, but we decided to just drive since we had a car. So we all got up very, very early, ate breakfast in the room (I made a dash to OPR to get my morning Coke and a chocolate croissant), and then got in the car and headed to MK.

It was an overcast morning with some light mist/drizzle. We arrived very early (I think we arrived at MK at 7:25?) and were the second car parked in the parking lot. It was kind of funny but DH and the girls were grumbling a little that we could have slept a bit longer. :sad2: Oh well! We’re at Disney – The Plan didn’t call for sleeping in!

So we arrived and got in line to go in and waited. Soon they let us in and it was so neat to walk up a practically empty Main Street! We got some great pictures in front of the castle. I wish I had time to linger and take lots of pictures but we needed to get to BBB. We arrived and waited for them to open the doors and then we got checked in. Now, Tinkerbell can be quite the chatterbox, but in new settings and around people she doesn’t know she is very, very quiet and shy. I could tell that she wasn’t going to be chatting much during this experience! I was surprised that DH and Minnie wanted to come along and watch…and BBB in the castle isn’t big at all, and they were full that morning, so it was really crowded in there. DH looked very out of place. :laughing: We got checked in and met Tinkerbell’s Fairy Godmother in Training (FGIT) immediately. Tinkerbell had already decided which hairstyle she wanted and her worries about them not being able to match her red hair were for naught – because they were able to match it perfectly! :cheer2: The FGIT got started on her hair and I was amazed at how much gel they put in her hair…but, at the same time, there were no stray hairs and her hair stayed in place all day so obviously the gel worked! The FGIT did her hair and teased up the “bubble” a lot more than I would have liked but that’s life, and she did her makeup WAY too heavy and dark. :sad2: Seriously – it was awful – not at all “natural” like the brochure says it will be. Tinkerbell chose fake fingernails instead of nail polish. The PhotoPass photographers took lots of pictures (I promise to post some). The FGIT tried a little to get Tinkerbell to open up and chat with her, but it just didn’t work so she pretty much gave up. That made me sad – many of the other FGIT were very sweet, talkative, chatty, and tried really hard to get their “princesses” to loosen up and interact, but ours didn’t. But Tinkerbell still had a lovely time and was very, very happy with the results of her makeover.

After the big reveal, we went outside BBB to wait and the castle exit to go into the park. I could tell by Tinkerbell’s face that something was wrong but she wouldn’t tell me at first. I started guessing…and eventually she told me that some of the hairpins (they had used a lot of them) were digging into her head and hurt, and that the fake fingernails hurt (Tinkerbell’s nails are rather flat and the fake fingernails are more curved, so they were pulling on her nailbeds). So the fingernails lasted all of about 10 minutes, if that, before we took them all off. She also didn’t really like the heavy, dark makeup (neither did I!) so I grabbed a baby wipe from the park bag and we toned it down a bit. We loosened the hairpins and she was good to go. :goodvibes Fairy Godmother came over to welcome us to the park and she specifically said hello to Tinkerbell, which she loved. And then they opened the park!

Wow – it was craziness. A guy behind us with a stroller didn’t obey the “walk, don’t run” rule in his effort for his children to be the first to wake up Tinkerbell in her shop and he ran over a few people, me included. Oh well… It was fun to look behind us and see the mass of humanity quickly making their way up Main Street!

The morning was still overcast and it misted/drizzled a bit all morning, until about noon. We never needed our umbrellas or ponchos and I think the weather helped keep the crowds down a bit. It definitely kept it at a comfortable temperature all morning.

We decided to follow The Plan (one of the UOG plans) all morning, adding in Dumbo as our first ride and then omitting IASW (DH and the girls don’t really like that one), POTC (ack! I wanted to do this one but they didn’t), and SM (they did it on the last trip and thought it was a “let down” and didn’t want to do it again). Other than that, we stuck to The Plan all morning. First up? Dumbo! We were in the second group of the day to ride it – in fact, the seats were still wet from the overnight rain! :) The posted wait was 5 minutes and that’s about exactly how long we waited. Next up, the teacups for Minnie and Tinkerbell while DH and I watched. They love this ride and had a lot of fun. The posted wait was 5 minutes and again, that’s about how long it was. Next, Buzz Lightyear…posted wait of five minutes but we walked right on. My score wasn’t very good and I think DH, Minnie, and Tinkerbell all beat me! We grabbed FPs for this ride for later and then rode it again immediately, walking on again.

We decided at this point in time to split up so I could take Tinkerbell to meet Tinkerbell. DH took Minnie to ride Astro Orbiter but they ended up not riding because the posted wait was 40 minutes, so they just got a cool drink and wandered around and looked at things until Tinkerbell and I were done meeting the fairies. Tinkerbell and I got to the entrance to Toontown and had fun chatting with the CMs at the rope. Tinkerbell’s head was hurting again from the hairpins so I loosened more hairpins. All of the CMs were calling her princess and other little girls were commenting on how pretty she was and asking how she got to look like that, so she told them all about BBB. Soon, they dropped the rope and we got to go back to meet the Fairies! We were the second in line and only waited about 5 minutes. :thumbsup2 I was hoping my Tinkerbell would interact more with Tinkerbell because they are perfectly matched in attitude and sassiness (LOL), but my Tinkerbell just clammed up. *Sigh* :sad2: We saw Tinkerbell, Iridessa, and Rosetta. My Tinkerbell didn’t even know who the other fairies were since she hasn’t seen the movie. Oh well – she was grinning from ear to ear when we were done and was very happy that she had accomplished her one and only goal for this trip – to meet Tinkerbell. We did a little shopping there since I had forgotten my sunglasses and needed new ones, and then it was off to meet up with DH and Minnie.

Next was The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh…the posted wait was 20 minutes but we only waited about 7 minutes. The ride did stop at the end because of an unloading problem so we sat in the last “room” of the ride (before you get to the loading/unloading area) for several minutes. We were all very ready to get off by the time they fixed the ride and got us moving again! LOL Then we headed to the Snow White ride, which we didn’t ride on our last trip. The posted wait was 10 minutes and we waited a little less than that. Next up was Peter Pan…the posted wait was 30 minutes but we actually waited 35-40 minutes and everyone was grumbling about it (usually The Plan is right on and we don’t have waits longer than 15-20 minutes, so this was an aberration). I think, too, the fact that we had all gotten up so early that morning and were getting hungry was contributing to the grouchiness factor. Plus we saw lots of people cutting in line and that really, really bothers Minnie and Tinkerbell who are sticklers for fairness and rules. LOL Anyway, we got in line for Peter Pan at 10:30 and were off by about 11:15 and headed to Columbia Harbor House for lunch. It was empty! DH had the chicken nuggets and complained that they were very small and there were only a few of them. Minnie and I shared a salad and it was ok. Tinkerbell had the kids’ chicken nuggets complained, like DH, that they were small and few. We ate quickly and by the time we were done eating, the clouds were starting to burn off.

After lunch, DH and Minnie wanted to ride The Haunted Mansion. Tinkerbell and I didn’t want to (I’m too claustrophobic and she just didn’t want to, although we are definitely going to ride it when we go to MNSSHP!). DH and Minnie headed to The Haunted Mansion and Tinkerbell and I went to pick up FPs for BTMRR (we picked them up at 11:50 and the return time was 1:35). The posted wait time for The Haunted Mansion was 20 minutes but the wait was about 15. At this point, we deviated from The Plan for the rest of the day, since The Plan was based on the UOG plans and called for some rides/attractions we weren’t interested in. Since The Plan had been forewarned that we were going to do this, it wasn’t too upset with us. :laughing:

We rode Jungle Cruise next…the posted wait time was 30 minutes but we only waited 15 minutes. Next was Aladdin (posted wait 20 minutes, actual wait 20 minutes), and then we headed back to BTMRR to wait for our FP window to open up. We rode BTMRR and picked up FPs to ride it again later. By now that area of the park was really, really crowded (it is laid out poorly back there – it gets SO congested!) and the sun was out in full force and it was horribly humid as all of the rain dried up. We decided to grab a cold treat (Mickey ice cream bars, frozen strawberry bars, and a chocolate dipped frozen banana – YUM), ate those, and decided to go back to the hotel for a break and come back later in the evening. As we were leaving, some CMs called down to Tinkerbell from the Train Station – “Good evening, Princess!” All through the day, CMs were calling her princess and it made her feel so special. I was so glad we had done the BBB experience for her, even though I couldn’t talk her into go to Exposition Hall to have the photo session done. Oh well!

Next Up: Day 3 cont'd, more MK

Day 3 cont’d, MK

Having had our snack, we made our way out of MK and to our car which was conveniently parked right in the first row since we had arrived so early that morning! :cool1: It was so hot and humid by now and the park was really crowded, and we were ready for a break. When we arrived back at CBR the girls wanted to swim in the quiet pool and DH wanted to take a nap, so I went with the girls and DH napped for a bit and then came out to join us. Tinkerbell was torn between not wanting to mess her up BBB hairstyle, and wanting to swim like a fish (she LOVES the water). In the end, she decided she wanted to keep the hairstyle so we pinned up all of the extensions so she could get in the water and play, but not go underwater. We swam for a while, then rested for a little while, and then I took the girls to look around OPR. The CMs were doing the Macarena in the aisle but I couldn’t get Minnie and Tinkerbell to join in. Darn! Oh well… I bought a pair of Mickey flip-flops to wear but the girls didn’t get anything.

After some rest and relaxation, we got cleaned up and headed back to MK (by bus this time – only waited a few minutes). When we got back to MK, we immediately took the train back to Frontierland to use our BTMRR FPs and only had to wait a few minutes. We really love this ride! Then we headed over to Buzz Lightyear to use our FPs for that ride. I finally got a good enough score this time to beat Minnie and Tinkerbell. Yea! :woohoo::yay::woohoo: We headed to the Tomorrowland Speedway where DH waited in the bleachers and took pictures while the girls and I drove. Tinkerbell was excited to find that she was tall enough to drive her own car and she did pretty well! Unfortunately, Minnie suffered a breakdown and a CM had to come out onto the track and do something to her car so she could finish the course. We joked with her that it was a bad omen for her driving abilities, since she was going to be getting her learner’s permit the next month…we told her that if she couldn’t even drive a fake car at WDW she might not be able to drive a real one. :rotfl:

After that, we split up again so that Minnie and DH could ride AstroOrbiter. The posted wait was 35 minutes but they really wanted to ride, and since we didn’t have any definite plans for the rest of the evening they decided to go ahead and do it. While they did that, Tinkerbell wanted to ride Goofy’s Barnstormer so we headed over there. On our previous trip, we hadn’t set foot in Toontown so I had no idea what to expect. WOW. Just watching the ride, I was pretty sure I didn’t want to try it. :scared1: It is a very short ride but goes pretty fast! The posted wait time was 20 minutes but the actual wait was about 15. Tinkerbell loved it…I didn’t love it, but it was fun. We looked around Toontown a bit and then went to meet DH and Minnie to get some dinner.

We went to Cosmic Ray’s for dinner. We like this place because there is something for everyone…I just wish it didn’t mean going to three separate counters to get a meal! LOL It took longer to stand in line and get our meals than it took to actually eat them! Tinkerbell had the chicken Caesar salad and she liked it. Minnie had a cheeseburger with bacon and she said it was good. I had a hamburger and it was good. DH had the grilled chicken sandwich and he said it was too dry. After dinner, we wandered through some of the shops and just rested and watched people.

Around 8:00 we decided to go ahead and find our spots for SpectroMagic. We found spots right in the hub area. They were actually pretty good seats. There was a Brazilian tour group next to us but they didn’t bother us at all (although it was a bit distracting to have one of the girls strip down to her sports bra and what appeared to be spandex cheerleading shorts – the kind that go UNDER the cheerleading skirt!). :eek: It was fun to watch the CMs interact with the children and we just had fun sitting together and chatting. We loved the parade!

By the time the parade was over, DH, who really isn’t a parades and fireworks kind of guy, wasn’t feeling really well :sick: so he said he wanted to go back to the hotel. The girls and I were really disappointed because we wanted to watch Wishes together, but I could tell DH wasn’t feeling well, so we sent him back to the hotel. The girls and I stayed in our spots and waited for Wishes. We had fun watching the castle change colors and we took a lot of pictures of it (I think we got a picture of every single color variation/combination!). We were so excited when Wishes started….it is such a wonderful show and we loved it. We were sad that DH wasn’t with us, but since he really doesn’t enjoy fireworks he wouldn’t have felt the same way about it that we did. After the show, we made our way down Main Street and back to the bus. We were all tired from the long day and were ready to get some sleep! We only waited about 10 minutes for a bus and then were on our way back to CBR. We got back to the hotel and all fell asleep very quickly!

Next Up: Day 4, Disney MGM (or DHS...but it will always be MGM to us!)

Ok, finally caught up after being away at WDW. I would love to be able to walk down Main Street before park opening. Will have to book a breakfast at CP or CRT once just for that.

I wish they would do something about the area around SM and BTMRR, it is horrible on a crowded day.

Sorry your DH got sick and had to leave. My DH was sick at MNSSHP this past weekend and left before Hallowishes.:sad2:

Can't wait to see the pics!

I so understand the issue with your DD ("Drama Diva") claming up. Mine does the exact same thing when she's around people she doesn't know, then won't shut up at home! :laughing: I'm sorry they didn't want to ride POTC, we ride that more than any other ride at Disney. I don't know why, just something about it. pirate: I'm very proud of you for your high score on Buzz, I never even try to score on that ride cause I'm too busy taking pics. DH and DS take that ride so seriously that I have to capture it and DD just likes to spin. I don't think she even knows there is a score. :laughing:
We never rode Astro Orbiter this time either, everytime we tried the wait was 45 min or longer. Sorry, but it's just not worth it. DD and I watched someone wake up Tinkerbell one afternoon and she thought that was the coolest thing. Apparently now you can wake her if you just ask no matter what time of day.

So glad you got to visit the fairies! We watched the movie before our trip in hopes that we could meet them, but the wait was just too long. Of course I didn't have "The Plan" so that could have been the problem. :)

Sorry DH wasn't feeling well. Mine doesn't care for the parades or fireworks either and would be just as happy to skip them. Men! :confused3

Can't wait to see your pics!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter