• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weight loss surgery - does anyone REALLY need it?

I'll share my story...

I am 34 years old. If you told me 10 years ago I would have had it I would have laughed in your face. But I did....a little over one year ago and it was THE best decision I ever made for myself. See, when I was pregnant with my son a little over 12 years ago issues in me that lay dormant came out, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, you name it I had it. I gained weight and never kept it off. I tried for years to keep it off through better eating, exercise. I ended up having my daughter 3 years ago. Almost lost her...and me. I was a high risk pregnancy and had to take her by CSection 2 weeks early due to complications.

Trust me I tried everything. I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had no energy, hated my life. I was miserable. I was getting up sick to my stomach each day. I had no clue why. Turns out I was diabetic. Did I want to go on insulin my whole life? Nope I sure didn't.

My husband's friend has the surgery 2 years ago. His whole life was transformed by it. My husband tried talking me into it. I fought him. Finally one day he said think about the kids. And I did.

April 17, 2012 I changed my life. From that day forward I have yet to be sick to my stomach in the morning. I went from 259 lbs to 140. A size 26 who could barely move to a size 4. I lucked out. I do have some excess skin but not much. I certainly had to change my lifestyle as far as foods. We ate healthy before but now we really eat healthy.

But the best part is that I will now be around to enjoy my kid's lives. I can run around with my 2 year old, keep up with my 12 year old. It's amazing the amount of energy I have. It wasn't a quick fix. Trust me. I had to really change my mind and my attitude on things and I have. But for me, it gave me my life back. As someone previously had said, my only regret was not doing it sooner.

:cheer2:Congratulations on your success!:cheer2:

Wow, lots of unfortunate language early in this thread! Like in the psych meds thread, I don't think anyone has to justify a medical decision to anyone.

Congratulations to all the people here who have found success, regardless of how it was achieved. :thumbsup2

Wow, lots of unfortunate language early in this thread! Like in the psych meds thread, I don't think anyone has to justify a medical decision to anyone.

Congratulations to all the people here who have found success, regardless of how it was achieved. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I totally agree.

Had gastric sleeve 6 months ago & it was a game/lfe changer. Have lost 125 lbs & feel so much better. In the process of planning first Disney trip post-surgery

Had gastric sleeve 6 months ago & it was a game/lfe changer. Have lost 125 lbs & feel so much better. In the process of planning first Disney trip post-surgery

:cool1:

That's great - this is the kind of reason to bring up an old thread :)

As for the original question, I do think it's quite possible to reach the point where you're not in good enough condition to GET in better condition. And I think reaching that point can happen a lot quicker than any of us realize. I don't know if this surgery would be my first choice, but for many it's the best choice.

I know several people that have had to varying degrees of success. One is 8 years past her surgery so she has how to eat mastered.

I think part of the difference between trying not to eat (diet) and not being able to eat (gastric for the first few months) is cheating it really difficult with the surgery at least in the beginning. You can't physically eat a lot so you kind of force yourself to eat less. Like anything do this long enough and it will become a habit.

I think to judge anyone for having it is nuts. Until you walk in an over weigh persons footsteps you can't know. Maybe you can stick to a diet, doesn't mean everyone can.

It's a drastic measure that does not completely solve the problem but it is a good step in the direction of a solution.

To be successful you have to do the work after the surgery. You have to exercise, you have to eat the right foods in small amounts. The surgery is only part of the tool to lose weight but sometimes people need a great big wham in their life to cause change and for some surgery and all that it entails is exactly that.

I honestly think that people need to really look at WHY they eat and why they eat it. Because they are bored, because they are depressed, because it's what they are used to eating, because it's inexpensive and satisfying, because they are tired. We eat to morn, we eat to celebrate, we eat socially. There are a lot of aspects to why someone is over weight that goes beyond they just eat a lot.

Lisa

I'll be honest...gastric bypass surgery saved my life. However, it does NOT take away the underlying emotional issues that caused the weight problem to start with, and that is where I find myself now-I've regained over 70 lbs of the 187 lbs I lost, and I'm miserable. My mom lost her mind about 3 years ago (I'm not joking, she really is crazy), and, when she went off the rails, everything I was doing right went horribly wrong. I eat way too much junk food, don't drink enough water, and don't eat enough protein. I know this, but I can't stop myself. I have tried. Over. And over. And Over. It doesn't help that I can eat as much food as I could pre-surgery. I know what I have to do, I just can't do it. It feels like I'm driving head-on into a train, and I can't make myself turn the wheel.

I'll be honest...gastric bypass surgery saved my life. However, it does NOT take away the underlying emotional issues that caused the weight problem to start with, and that is where I find myself now-I've regained over 70 lbs of the 187 lbs I lost, and I'm miserable. My mom lost her mind about 3 years ago (I'm not joking, she really is crazy), and, when she went off the rails, everything I was doing right went horribly wrong. I eat way too much junk food, don't drink enough water, and don't eat enough protein. I know this, but I can't stop myself. I have tried. Over. And over. And Over. It doesn't help that I can eat as much food as I could pre-surgery. I know what I have to do, I just can't do it. It feels like I'm driving head-on into a train, and I can't make myself turn the wheel.

Some one said to me once that those who have addictions to drugs, or alcohol garner sympathy, those with an addiction to food, garner jeers. Even worse, those who quit other addictions can stop drinking, or stop doing drugs, you can't stop eating, so you have an addiction sitting in your head like a dragon, but you still have to pet that dragon at least 3 times a day, you can't just lock it away and never look at it again. Then you have to deal with people who are offended (and that's what they are, offended) that you got bit.

There is never, never a bad time to try again. Even 1 good day is a great thing to build on. Start with 1 good meal, and then move to the next, it's a matter of trying again and again. I just got back up on that horse, so right now I'm pretty optimistic (although if I have to eat another raw green vegetable today I'll scream! :furious:) Hang in there, and chose to start over again. :hug:

Morning, for those that have fallen off the rails, here is the 5 day pouch test link: http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.ca/2013/04/the-5-day-pouch-test-cottage-cheese.html
I'm 5 yrs out in July and have not gained any more than I've lost. It's a daily struggle to keep those food demons out.
Someone also talked about transfer addiction. Anything is possible if you don't find the trigger. I know I'm an emotional eater. I know my triggers. It is a daily struggle, but my VSG is keeping me true!
All the best to everyone!

It's a daily struggle to keep those food demons out.
Someone also talked about transfer addiction. Anything is possible if you don't find the trigger. I know I'm an emotional eater. I know my triggers. It is a daily struggle, but my VSG is keeping me true!
All the best to everyone!

That was my point, you have to learn your triggers and deal with them.

Lisa

Have you considered counseling? Getting to the root of your problem and fixing that may help with your eating problems. I try to keep only healthy foods in the house that way I have only healthy foods to eat. It helps. It really really helps when I go to get something because I am hungry but am really just bored. I know that if I am truly hungry, I will find something to eat. If I am not truly hungry, I will just not eat anything. It is helping.

I also found buying fruit and vegetables already chopped up for me has me eating more fruits and vegetables for snacks and less wanting to bad stuff. Currently I am trying to retrain my taste buds to crave the healthier foods.

worm761 said:
Have you considered counseling? Getting to the root of your problem and fixing that may help with your eating problems. I try to keep only healthy foods in the house that way I have only healthy foods to eat. It helps. It really really helps when I go to get something because I am hungry but am really just bored. I know that if I am truly hungry, I will find something to eat. If I am not truly hungry, I will just not eat anything. It is helping.

I also found buying fruit and vegetables already chopped up for me has me eating more fruits and vegetables for snacks and less wanting to bad stuff. Currently I am trying to retrain my taste buds to crave the healthier foods.

I heartily agree. The best thing I ever did for myself was weight loss surgery and the second best thing was therapy afterward!

OP, its not too late to turn the boat around. Food addiction is real. Hie thyself to a therapist now, preferably one who is familiar with WLS. Call your surgeons office and get a referral today. Better yet, make an appointment to see your surgeon. He can help you get back on track. You aren't the first person to backslide and you won't be the last. Don't throw your health away. Fight for yourself!

My DH is in the process of going through the steps to have the GBP surgery - 2months into a 6 month wait due to insurance.
he has rods in his back and exercise is none due to this per the surgeon.
but his weight is 340 so not helping with all the pain.
pain mgt and surgeon thought this would be best idea for him and he is actually very excited to finaly lose the weight. He stated with a dietion and to our surprise she said he eats well and correctly.. but still gains the weight. So its nice to read these success stories big or small.
he will have the surgery in Sept/Oct time frame and I am more nerveous then him.. really because I will need to make sure I have the proper foods for him in the house, I also warned my son be ready for a change cause I don't want to put temping items in his face. I was concerned with eating out now and again too or vacations and food.. so glad there are things set up and ideas out there..

I heartily agree. The best thing I ever did for myself was weight loss surgery and the second best thing was therapy afterward!

OP, its not too late to turn the boat around. Food addiction is real. Hie thyself to a therapist now, preferably one who is familiar with WLS. Call your surgeons office and get a referral today. Better yet, make an appointment to see your surgeon. He can help you get back on track. You aren't the first person to backslide and you won't be the last. Don't throw your health away. Fight for yourself!

Make an appointment with your surgeon's office ASAP. They can help and they know the challenges you are struggling with. They can refer you to a counselor that is familiar with the issues unique to bariatric patients. They can help you fine tune your eating.

I was in the middle of a back slide (gained nearly 30 lbs after maintaining a stable and healthy weight for over two years) and had to get established with a new bariatric practice due to a move. Meeting with the surgeon, nutritionist and psychologist were so helpful and motivating. I'm sure that if you schedule an appointment with your surgeon, they will help you get your motivation back.

i had a little talk with myself last night, and have resolved to get back on track.

in response to a couple of questions:

i live in a very small town, and there are no counseling options nearby-i can't afford to drive almost an hour for a therapy appointment.

my surgeon had to retire, due to a colon cancer diagnosis, and there are only a handful of doctors in the state who do gastric bypass surgery-none of them will take me on as a patient, since i already had surgery with another surgeon (went through this with my mom several years ago-her surgeon retired, and no one else would take her, not even a doctor in the same practice). i'm not sure what the issue is, i have all of my medical records. it's just policy, i guess.

i have resolved that i'm not going to let her demons beat me, and, thus far, i'm doing well.

i can't banish cookies, ice cream, etc., from my home, because i have a DH and DD16 who don't have weight issues, and it's really unfair to them to not be able to have a treat, just because i can't control myself.

stress is a HUGE trigger for me, and i've had NOTHING BUT STRESS the past 2 months-2nd mom died, grandmother died, pastor appreciation day and easter weeks at church (i work at the church), father-in-law had open heart surgery, now DH has pneumonia. i can't catch a break. but, i AM going to do this. i'm stating right here, right now.

evaready51 said:

Congratulations on your success!

i had a little talk with myself last night, and have resolved to get back on track.

in response to a couple of questions:

i live in a very small town, and there are no counseling options nearby-i can't afford to drive almost an hour for a therapy appointment.

my surgeon had to retire, due to a colon cancer diagnosis, and there are only a handful of doctors in the state who do gastric bypass surgery-none of them will take me on as a patient, since i already had surgery with another surgeon (went through this with my mom several years ago-her surgeon retired, and no one else would take her, not even a doctor in the same practice). i'm not sure what the issue is, i have all of my medical records. it's just policy, i guess.

i have resolved that i'm not going to let her demons beat me, and, thus far, i'm doing well.

i can't banish cookies, ice cream, etc., from my home, because i have a DH and DD16 who don't have weight issues, and it's really unfair to them to not be able to have a treat, just because i can't control myself.

stress is a HUGE trigger for me, and i've had NOTHING BUT STRESS the past 2 months-2nd mom died, grandmother died, pastor appreciation day and easter weeks at church (i work at the church), father-in-law had open heart surgery, now DH has pneumonia. i can't catch a break. but, i AM going to do this. i'm stating right here, right now.

ok this is going to sound harsh but perhaps some honesty is in order. I did not suggest counseling I suggested a support group. Over eaters anonymous or a gastric bypass support group. If there is not one why not start it?

I am happy to hear your new resolve It sounds like you have a lot of excuses. about why it didn't work before. You HAVE to get real with yourself. You have to, it's your health and once you have the surgery if you don't get the protein and water you need you are going to have bigger problems down the road. My friend that had the surgery explained it to me this way. She said for the rest of her life she has to be careful she altered her body in a way that was not natural and because of that she has to watch everything she eats every single bite counts.

You can't NOT buy ice cream and cookies? Why not? I would expect your husband and son to fully support you in this process and if you can't be around them I would hope they would love you and your health enough NOT to have that stuff around. If they need it then let them go out somewhere to get it. Keep it in the trunk of your husbands car, something drastic.

Why not tell them, not to let you eat that stuff under any circumstances?

You know what you need to be eating, make sure they do too and make sure they will call you on it if you veer off.

I have an allergy to a food I LOVE. It I eat it it's not going to kill me but just make my life unpleasant for a bit. If my family even sees me taking one bite of it they are all over me. They love me and want what is best for me. We don't have it in the house because why put it under my nose? They understand.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter