UPDATED: WDW Christmas Parade taping..da..da..da..daaa (Nov 9 through 13: See POST 80 and 115)

New guest advisory posted on the HUB

Filming for upcoming holiday television specials will take place November 9-13 in all Walt Disney World theme parks. The television specials will air on ABC and the Disney Channel in November and December.

Cast, Crew and Imagineers will be recruited to fill the audience as extras during the filming of stage show elements and musical performances. While some portions of the filming may take place before or after park operating hours, Guests are welcome to observe the filming as it takes place during standard park operating hours.

Frequently Asked Questions (for use on a reactive basis)
Will a parade be filmed?
This year, parade elements will be filmed at the Disneyland Resort, while stage show elements and musical performances will be filmed at the Walt Disney World Resort

Can you share more details about when/where filming will take place?
Filming will take place November 9-13 throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. Due to the nature of television production, film schedules are in a continual state of development and cannot be shared.

New guest advisory posted on the HUB

Filming for upcoming holiday television specials will take place November 9-13 in all Walt Disney World theme parks. The television specials will air on ABC and the Disney Channel in November and December.

Cast, Crew and Imagineers will be recruited to fill the audience as extras during the filming of stage show elements and musical performances. While some portions of the filming may take place before or after park operating hours, Guests are welcome to observe the filming as it takes place during standard park operating hours.

Frequently Asked Questions (for use on a reactive basis)
Will a parade be filmed?
This year, parade elements will be filmed at the Disneyland Resort, while stage show elements and musical performances will be filmed at the Walt Disney World Resort

Can you share more details about when/where filming will take place?
Filming will take place November 9-13 throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. Due to the nature of television production, film schedules are in a continual state of development and cannot be shared.

Interesting....so they are not filming the parade at WDW?

Do they announce the celebrities that will be attending and performing?

Do they normally always film the parade at WDW? Or have they in the past filmed the parade at DLR?

They are NOT filming FOF. FOF moves to 5:00 so that there is plenty of time to tape at the Castle Stage or on Main Street from the early morning hours until they complete their taping needs for the day.

CMs sometimes arrive at 5:30a for pre-park taping. Disney completes as much taping as they can and sets back FOF so that also clears the scheduling for any CMs that may be involved in the taping and are also in FOF.

Any effect on getting to Peter Pan at RD on the 11th (EMH at 7AM)? Will we be able to go through the castle?

The fact that CM's are used for alot of the shots now makes alot of sense. We have the Disneyland Celebration on our DVR as my 4 year old watches it a few times a day. When it came to the Frozen song, the audience members all seemed REALLY into it, behaving just the right way, gestures, mannerisms etc. I'm sure that the same arrangement existed out there as well.

The fact that CM's are used for alot of the shots now makes alot of sense. We have the Disneyland Celebration on our DVR as my 4 year old watches it a few times a day. When it came to the Frozen song, the audience members all seemed REALLY into it, behaving just the right way, gestures, mannerisms etc. I'm sure that the same arrangement existed out there as well.
it wasn't always just CM. The production company that did the show used to give out tickets online for people who would sign up. Other years they gave extra tickets to annual passholders. The CM that sign up are not getting paid or anything extra other than 5 more tickets (great since they can give them out to family members) and are asked to stay during the entire filming process but once the park opens for guests everyone tends to disperse, hence why they allow regular guests to join in the filming

Well, it's interesting that they are not filming any portion of the parade at WDW this year. I would say that means the impact on MK is going to depend on who is performing (and there are pretty much always leaks). I would think there should not be too much impact down near the Town Square end of Main Street and the street probably won't be closed off much if at all, if they are not parade filming. We were there on the dreaded Jonas Brothers Sunday (they were supposed to tape on Friday and we planned around that- but they got rained out and taped on Sunday). It was during the height of their popularity and the park was fine while they were taping, but the minute they finished the crowd flooded the rest of the park. In last years show, I can't think of anyone who performed that might draw that type of crowd. I recall one year we were in MK while they were taping a castle performance and they were practically begging people as they entered to park to come down and be a part of the castle crowd- clearly they did not have enough people watching the taping (we declined as DD had rides to ride and characters to see).

In the years we were at WDW during Dec. parade taping, the performances in front of the castle were mostly filmed on one day (and they often started filming them before rope drop), but then we did see film crews getting some footage of other parks (no real disruption with that at all) on other days. It is interesting that they say they are filming at WDW from Nov. 9 to 13 (5 days) when they are not filming any portion of the parade there. When we were there, it was usually 3 days, that included the parade, and the 3rd day was typically a "just in case" day for weather and other issues. I wonder how much of 5 days are performances that would have any impact and how much might be some spot filming in the parks where the only impact would be right in the area where they are filming (i.e. when their stars are riding 7DMT and being filmed on, and around, it like the clips they are always showing on the Disney channel). I'm really interested in seeing the scheduling (and any leaks). Hopefully, not taping the actual parade there will reduce the impact on people's trips.

Well, it's interesting that they are not filming any portion of the parade at WDW this year. I would say that means the impact on MK is going to depend on who is performing (and there are pretty much always leaks). I would think there should not be too much impact down near the Town Square end of Main Street and the street probably won't be closed off much if at all, if they are not parade filming. We were there on the dreaded Jonas Brothers Sunday (they were supposed to tape on Friday and we planned around that- but they got rained out and taped on Sunday). It was during the height of their popularity and the park was fine while they were taping, but the minute they finished the crowd flooded the rest of the park. In last years show, I can't think of anyone who performed that might draw that type of crowd. I recall one year we were in MK while they were taping a castle performance and they were practically begging people as they entered to park to come down and be a part of the castle crowd- clearly they did not have enough people watching the taping (we declined as DD had rides to ride and characters to see).

In the years we were at WDW during Dec. parade taping, the performances in front of the castle were mostly filmed on one day (and they often started filming them before rope drop), but then we did see film crews getting some footage of other parks (no real disruption with that at all) on other days. It is interesting that they say they are filming at WDW from Nov. 9 to 13 (5 days) when they are not filming any portion of the parade there. When we were there, it was usually 3 days, that included the parade, and the 3rd day was typically a "just in case" day for weather and other issues. I wonder how much of 5 days are performances that would have any impact and how much might be some spot filming in the parks where the only impact would be right in the area where they are filming (i.e. when their stars are riding 7DMT and being filmed on, and around, it like the clips they are always showing on the Disney channel). I'm really interested in seeing the scheduling (and any leaks). Hopefully, not taping the actual parade there will reduce the impact on people's trips.
it also states that it will be "in all Walt Disney World theme parks. " so people should expect filming everywhere, I would even think that they might add a Disney Springs performance
As for leaks I couldn't say if they will happen or not ;)

We are planning on hitting Springs on the 10th for a bit of WDW before a cruise. That would be cool to catch a stage show shooting there!

1. Will they be filling all 3 days?
2. Are ride wait times shorter during filming?

1. If they do, it will be in different areas on different days.
2. No more or less than "normal" for that time of year.

Does anyone know when or if we will know who the performers are and where they will be performing? TIA
We should have some type of schedule on Monday, we will know the times for sure for each day but I'm not sure if the will give the CM signing up for this a clue of the performers
It could be something like: sign up from 6am to 9am filming at the Castle Stage

We should have some type of schedule on Monday, we will know the times for sure for each day but I'm not sure if the will give the CM signing up for this a clue of the performers
It could be something like: sign up from 6am to 9am filming at the Castle Stage

Any additional info about the Christmas taping shedule?

Here's the taping schedule, CM are not told how long or where or what is taping, just the time they have to be there. They did it by slots:
Nov 9th MK 10am and 6pm
Nov 10th MK 10am and 1pm
Nov 10th Epcot 4:30pm and 7pm
Nov. 11th MK 8am and 12pm
Nov 12th MK 8:30am and 2pm
Nov 12th AK 4:30pm
Nov 13th DHS 11am and 2pm and 5pm
Obviously all of these are subject to change

New Taping Info: Updated 11/3/16
Here are the impacts of the taping for MK:

Tuesday, November 8 • Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire: 1 & 2 (unadvertised), 4, 5:15 p.m. • Princess Elena Royal Welcome: 1:35 & 3:40 p.m. (unadvertised) • Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party: 7 p.m.-midnight (operates as scheduled)

Wednesday, November 9 • The following offerings will not be presented: A Frozen Holiday Wish, Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire, Princess Elena Royal Welcome, Once Upon a Time, Trolley Show, Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party • #INCREDIBLESSuperDanceParty: 3-6:30 p.m.

Thursday, November 10 • The following offerings will not be presented: Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire, Princess Elena Royal Welcome, Trolley Show, Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party • Flag Retreat: 4:30 p.m. • Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade: 5 p.m. • Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 7 p.m.-midnight (operates as scheduled)

Friday, November 11 • The following offerings will not be presented: Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire, Princess Elena Royal Welcome, Trolley Show, Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party • Flag Retreat: 4:30 p.m. (enhanced for Veterans Day) • Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade: 5 p.m. • Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party: 7 p.m.-midnight (operates as scheduled)

Saturday, November 12 • The following offerings will not be presented: A Frozen Holiday Wish, Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire, Princess Elena Royal Welcome, Once Upon a Time, Trolley Show, Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party • Flag Retreat: 4:30 p.m. • Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade: 5 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter