Unghh, got my 60 day email. From bad to worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my 'yeah you! 60 days out pick you fp+' e-mail today. This will be our fourth trip in just under 4 years and it all just sucks.

This was supposed to be our take it easy trip. First non deluxe dining take it easy, enjoy ourselves and bounce around happy fun time no schedules bonanza.

Given my FP/FP+ combo testing from our last trip, I was already not looking forward to being forced into Fp+ only but now that it's upon us... I want to cancel the trip.

Our touring plans make fp+ at MK a night mare. We'll spend 4, possibly five days in MK as it's our favorite park.

I think the only way to hit WDW from here on out will be completely off season with crowd levels of 3 or below.

Given unbiased reports of some friends , changing on site with crowd levels over 6 is difficult at best.

It could be worse, I could be living back in FLA and stuck with an AP right now.

I guess I'm confused. If you know how many days you plan to be at MK why can't you make FP+ for it? You don't want to? You don't know what you might like to ride? There's nothing that says you have to use FP+ at all. You can choose not to.

I've read some scuttle on the boards about FP+ changing in the months/next year. Why not put your trip off, then, and see if there are changes coming that may roll out in your favor? Frankly, if I was so worked up about an aspect of the trip that it made me want to cancel, I would. That's a lot of money to spend to be unsatisfied.

So I got my 'yeah you! 60 days out pick you fp+' e-mail today. This will be our fourth trip in just under 4 years and it all just sucks.

This was supposed to be our take it easy trip. First non deluxe dining take it easy, enjoy ourselves and bounce around happy fun time no schedules bonanza.

Given my FP/FP+ combo testing from our last trip, I was already not looking forward to being forced into Fp+ only but now that it's upon us... I want to cancel the trip.

Our touring plans make fp+ at MK a night mare. We'll spend 4, possibly five days in MK as it's our favorite park.

I think the only way to hit WDW from here on out will be completely off season with crowd levels of 3 or below.

Given unbiased reports of some friends , changing on site with crowd levels over 6 is difficult at best.

It could be worse, I could be living back in FLA and stuck with an AP right now.

Sounds awful.

We just got back during Spring Break with crowd levels of 8 and 9. I did not have trouble changing on site using my phone. The ONLY time I didn't get exactly what I wanted was when I needed a particular window that started 15 minutes from that moment (and it was 7 p.m. and crowd level 8, tier 1 attraction at Epcot.)

I did have way better luck changing the day of than I did changing the day or days before.

I think you should cancel, and I say that in a thoughtful way. It doesn't sound like you are looking forward to this at all. Do you have non-refundable costs that would be sunk if you canceled? I would either cancel or switch the trip up entirely somehow if I felt like this.

If you don't want to go, I will do it for you. I can deal with all the FP+ problems and MB confusion.

I'd rather be there with all the FP+ troubles than staying at home.

OP, hope you enjoy your trip at the parks!!

I'm so confused. I don't get how it is ruining your trip.

You could plan them out and change them on the fly if necessary.

If you really don't want to go, then cancel your trip. I'll gladly go in your place.

I think this was a tongue in cheek spoof! LOL

If not, then Cancel, don't spend all that money to be miserable.

Best you don't go then.

If you go wanting to have a terrible time, you will and you'll probably affect others with your cr@p attitude.

Do us all a favour - cancel and go elsewhere.

:thumbsup2 This exactly! A relaxing trip is all in the mindset. Like many keep repeating... If you go in convinced that everything is horrible and wrong and that you will have an awful time, you will create a self fulfilled prophecy.

Being at disney means waiting in lines. There is magic everywhere. Spend more time absorbing the magic and less time focusing on the crowds and you'll have a better time.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to make FP+ go away before your trip. You have two options

1- Cancel. Wait til things improve before returning.

2- Go and make the best of it.

Honestly I think you should go with option 1. It doesn't seem your willing to try to have a nice time. And with that mindset, it's pretty much guaranteed you won't enjoy the trip.

I just returned a few weeks ago. I read all the negative FP+ reviews, and I was nervous. Since it was already booked I thought "I'll make the best of it" I returned with the overall opinion that I don't like FP+. However, I had a great vacation! I realized that there's nothing I can do to make FP+ go away and back to FP-. Since I had a trip planned... I booked my FPs and made the most of it. Afterall it's rare that I get a vacation, might as well try to have a great time! And we did! It's possible to not like FP+ and still have a good vacation!

If you aren't able to go without the expectation "this is going to be awful" I really would cancel.

As has been entertained in threads elsewhere, the off season crowds are no off season anymore. As things are slowly getting better with the economy, more people are becoming able to go, and they're finding the times to go, so there are diminishing times where the park will be "empty" like before.

Also, the crowd estimators are just that, an estimate. What I consider crowded and what the estimator does may be a few numbers in difference. It's all preference.

Also, you don't have to use FP+, make some friends in the standby lines. If you're able to, you could actually wind up making better time in a standby line to get on a ride than with a FP+. Just keep an eye out for it. For instance, if you see the FP+ wait for HM is 60 but the standby is 15-20, it might go faster in the standby instead of burning a FP+. It just depends....

I have not had time to type it all up yet, but I was a staunch FP+ hater...worked so poorly for us last year. Got back Tuesday. Crowd level 9 some days during our trip. Never even saw a need to use our FP+ we had booked - lines were under 20 minutes at most times. Walked on to EE 3x on Sunday afternoon. That evening, most stuff was walk on or under 20 at MK.

I would not sweat it. This past trip was our take it easy trip, and never once felt rushed, stressed, or any affects of FP+...

I think this was a tongue in cheek spoof! LOL

If not, then Cancel, don't spend all that money to be miserable.

This! :thumbsup2

I have to believe the OP is pulling our leg, and maybe having a little fun at the expense of the anti-FP+ crowd.

After all, why would anyone waste their time and money on something that's making them miserable? It's like the old joke, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" "Then stop doing it!"

Yeah....With the attitude of dread the OP seems to have, I have to agree with the other posters who say "cancel the trip".

Since ANY venture (vacation, trip to the grocery, walk around the block) is what YOU make it, there's no way the OP is going to enjoy her trip.

I think the OP has every right to have negative feelings about his upcoming trip, without being given such a hard time about it. After all, it is pretty much a given that a trip right now will not be relaxing in the same way that it could have been a year ago, even if, as so many of you seem to suggest, it might be relaxing in a new, different way. I assume the hope that this "new way" could end up being equal to or better than the old one is what is keeping the OP from canceling outright (in addition to nonrefundable tickets, etc.). If you've been loving Disney trips for years (or even decades), it's difficult to take the plunge and cancel a trip you were really looking forward to, even if you're almost positive (based on experience) that you won't have as good of a time as you would have in the past. A disappointing WDW trip is NOT necessarily better than no WDW trip at all, and it's stressful (and sad) to have to think about it that way.

In any case, it's silly to pretend a decision like canceling a trip is simple.

OP, I feel your pain. I hated FP+ during testing in September, so I can't imagine liking it any better now (hated being on a schedule, hated being shackled to my phone screen, hated picking rides in advance). Others may love it, and that's wonderful for them, but if you didn't then you are entitled to your disappointment.

I get your concerns, OP. I am hopeful that I will like it all better than I am expecting right now when we go in August. But I also am not planning another trip back now for a really long time. Definitely not doing it every two years like we have been doing. We are going to see and do some new things. If our August trip goes better than I am expecting maybe we will go again in four or so years. Or maybe not, if we find another favorite destination that we feel is a better fit for us now.

I think the OP has every right to have negative feelings about his upcoming trip, without being given such a hard time about it. After all, it is pretty much a given that a trip right now will not be relaxing in the same way that it could have been a year ago, even if, as so many of you seem to suggest, it might be relaxing in a new, different way. I assume the hope that this "new way" could end up being equal to or better than the old one is what is keeping the OP from canceling outright (in addition to nonrefundable tickets, etc.). If you've been loving Disney trips for years (or even decades), it's difficult to take the plunge and cancel a trip you were really looking forward to, even if you're almost positive (based on experience) that you won't have as good of a time as you would have in the past. A disappointing WDW trip is NOT necessarily better than no WDW trip at all, and it's stressful (and sad) to have to think about it that way.

In any case, it's silly to pretend a decision like canceling a trip is simple.

OP, I feel your pain. I hated FP+ during testing in September, so I can't imagine liking it any better now (hated being on a schedule, hated being shackled to my phone screen, hated picking rides in advance). Others may love it, and that's wonderful for them, but if you didn't then you are entitled to your disappointment.

Sure, anyone has the right to feel however. That was not the point. It doesn't matter what the reasons are - it is whether it is worth spending all that money knowing you will be miserable. If the OP just received the 60 day email, then there is time to cancel without penalty (which is 45 days for package, less otherwise).

I am still not sure that the OP wasn't pulling our leg - it does seem to be a bit over the top. Why would anyone who felt that way even consider going?

I HEAR YOU, OP!!

Anyone who used FP- extensively knows we didn't spend all our time sending runners to pull FP, crossing the parks like madmen. It was all a question of balance. We'd go to an area and compare standby times with FP- return times, and balance the two. Between flexible fps and shorter (than currently reported) standby lines, we could count on being able to do whatever parts of the park whenever we wanted, and not be tied to hard-scheduled fp times and long standby lines.

I completely understand what the OP is dreading. I have that feeling of apprehension myself when contemplating how differently my next trip to Disney will shape up. I have decided that I am NOT going to even think about it, because our next trip is for a specific celebration that can't be moved, so we are going. However, I am not excited about the planning, and knowing I have to be in a specific park in a specific section at a specific time, and the option to this is standby lines that are out of control. Yeah, that has the makings of a relaxing vacation. It's very nerve wracking to feel like this, and it's not at all wrong for OP to be worrying about that next trip.

To the OP,

Look, I think I'm known on here as someone who doesn't like FP+. I was there during Thanksgiving and again at the end of February. After our Thanksgiving trip I was actually considering selling our DVC points. During our late Feb. trip we had a great time, but we did some things differently.

I just really think you need to ratchet down the expectations of what you expect in the parks. Don't worry about riding something multiple times. You are actually doing something that FP+ will help you with, slowing down and seeing other attractions. Plan on spending more time in your resort at the pool, or doing other things (like mini-putt, Richard Petty ride along, etc.).

You can have a great time, but it's ultimately up to you.

Note, this does not mean I like FP+ any more than before. It's just that I've changed my mindset about how we will vacation going forward. I can definitely see a time where we don't even go to the parks any more due to crowds and lines.

First thank you for your experiences and for reading all of my posts, I can tell by your responses, thank you for that.

For us Disney is about the parks and what's in them.

We hit the beach for 4 to 5 days before going to WDW so pool time isn't high on our priorities, I do recognize that is important to some people.

Resort days aren't high on the list either, Disney rooms are cramped and unless we are off property, we use them for sleeping purposes pretty much exclusively.

We've got a pretty cool mini golf by us we frequent and during the winter we do indoor water park weekends, so BB and TL, while cool, isn't cool enough to skip a park day for.

The Florida trip is pretty much a given to visit my wife's mom (she meets us at the beach), If I cancel, I'll add on more beach days and probably do a bunch of sea world and universal days and skip WDW entirely for now.

I still have a bounce back at Poly for September booked. Maybe they'll fix it by then.

The huge down side is my girls know about this trip already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!