Unghh, got my 60 day email. From bad to worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
:hug:

I don't like FP+ either. But I don't think it'll be AS bad as you think it will be.

Our touring plans make fp+ at MK a night mare. We'll spend 4, possibly five days in MK as it's our favorite park.

My goodness, with 4 or 5 days in one park, surely you'll hit everything you wanted to hit and more? MK is actually our least fave park (we just keep subconsciously expecting it to be Disneyland, and it's not, and we haven't been able to stop our minds from expecting it) so I can't imagine that many days, but I'm sure you'll get everything done. :)

IMHO, FP+ is a much better system for those who like to have a relaxing trip. You get to select your own times, PLUS you can shift them around. If you have your time come up and the standby is relatively short, you can use the FP for something else.

Oh if only I actually *could* have done that! Last minute (bumped flights) half day at Epcot, got 3 FPs worked out before heading out from the hotel, got there...5 minute wait for the first thing I'd FP+d. Tried to change it..."no other times available for this experience". Tried to change the experience "no other experiences for this time frame. Tried to change the other two, hoping it would open up...nothing nothing nothing big fat nothing.

This was Superbowl Sunday at Epcot, it was NOT busy. While waiting out the next FP+ which I could not change, I got a big ol' beer in Canada, and, well, I missed the next two FP+s b/c I was busy chatting with CMs and moseying around.

If only changing was absolutely something that would happen. But just because it CAN be done in general, doesn't mean you WILL be able to do it in a specific case.

I think the OP has every right to have negative feelings about his upcoming trip, without being given such a hard time about it. ...

In any case, it's silly to pretend a decision like canceling a trip is simple.

Agree and agree!

Though I do like the alternative plans of beach days and Universal. :)

I am of the opinion that if you go into anything expecting the worst, you are going to experience the worst. A positive attitude does wonders...

I have never once found this to be true in my life. For me, setting expectations is key, and if I set them too high, things will seem lower. If I set them low, things will feel better. Regardless, I want to know the facts. I want to hear experiences. I want to know before I go.

I went into our January trip with perfectly good expectations and a lot of excitement. I got sick, really sick, 2 days into it. Few days later DS got it, too. We had an absolutely junky first 3 weeks of our 4 week "last big because-we-homeschool-we-can-take-this-time" trip. Regardless of our attitude going into it. My son doesn't even want to go to WDW for at least a year because of our trip. He does want to visit Universal, and we had the same number of days at Universal as at WDW (ended up in parks for 3 partial days at each place), because Uni is so easy, and WDW with FP+ is just not for us. Even the 9 year old could figure out the difference between past FP trips and recent FP+ trips. We ride almost nothing with FP+. We can't even figure out why.

I've also had experiences where I have a lousy attitude going into it and have a perfectly nice time.

I don't tell myself what I should or should not feel...I feel what I feel, and like to have correct expectations for things.

:hug:

I have never once found this to be true in my life. For me, setting expectations is key, and if I set them too high, things will seem lower. If I set them low, things will feel better. Regardless, I want to know the facts. I want to hear experiences. I want to know before I go.

I went into our January trip with perfectly good expectations and a lot of excitement. I got sick, really sick, 2 days into it. Few days later DS got it, too. We had an absolutely junky first 3 weeks of our 4 week "last big because-we-homeschool-we-can-take-this-time" trip. Regardless of our attitude going into it. My son doesn't even want to go to WDW for at least a year because of our trip. He does want to visit Universal, and we had the same number of days at Universal as at WDW (ended up in parks for 3 partial days at each place), because Uni is so easy, and WDW with FP+ is just not for us. Even the 9 year old could figure out the difference between past FP trips and recent FP+ trips. We ride almost nothing with FP+. We can't even figure out why.

I've also had experiences where I have a lousy attitude going into it and have a perfectly nice time.

I don't tell myself what I should or should not feel...I feel what I feel, and like to have correct expectations for things.

:confused3 I experience the opposite...

Of course you can not wish away sickness with a positive attitude. That is a whole different issue...

Oh, no. Don't let FP+ ruin your trip. In fact it helped us have a more relaxed trip than we've had in years. No cross-park running to and fro. We scheduled our FPs, did those, and just rode whatever else we happened upon in the meantime. We found it very relaxing and I hope you will too. Have a great trip!

No, no one made the OP post what he did. But there are many other people that feel the same way he does.

I get that. I understand that the disappointment can be overwhelming at times. (I am a Carolina Panther fan who was heart broken when they let Steve Smith go).

And I get that this is a discussion board, so within the bounds of the rules, anyone can say anything. Unfortunately, any one with a good experience or optimism is labeled as 'wearing Disney tinted glasses' or 'drinking the kool-aid'.

We have heard over and over and over and over, Ad nauseam. how many people hate FP+, how it has ruined there Disney experience. I am becoming increasingly less sympathetic with folks who only complain and have nothing to offer. Just because we have feelings and we can say something - does not mean we should.

Since we are talking "feelings" and not strategies - 'my feeling' is that it is that this constant carping is getting out of hand. The Terrible Twos, comes to mind. That is the way that I feel and there are many other people who feel the same.

FP+ is here. We are all hoping for increase in the number of FP+, the end of teiring, and park hopping with our passes. I think we can all agree on that.
I would like to know how people have toured with FP+. What strategies they used. How it effects their planning. (After all the board is labeled "Theme Attractions and Strategies")

There are some threads, that I know from the beginning just don't go there - should have realized this would be one, but I got sucked in. lol

I get that. I understand that the disappointment can be overwhelming at times. (I am a Carolina Panther fan who was heart broken when they let Steve Smith go).

And I get that this is a discussion board, so within the bounds of the rules, anyone can say anything. Unfortunately, any one with a good experience or optimism is labeled as 'wearing Disney tinted glasses' or 'drinking the kool-aid'.

We have heard over and over and over and over, Ad nauseam. how many people hate FP+, how it has ruined there Disney experience. I am becoming increasingly less sympathetic with folks who only complain and have nothing to offer. Just because we have feelings and we can say something - does not mean we should.

Since we are talking "feelings" and not strategies - 'my feeling' is that it is that this constant carping is getting out of hand. The Terrible Twos, comes to mind. That is the way that I feel and there are many other people who feel the same.

FP+ is here. We are all hoping for increase in the number of FP+, the end of teiring, and park hopping with our passes. I think we can all agree on that.
I would like to know how people have toured with FP+. What strategies they used. How it effects their planning. (After all the board is labeled "Theme Attractions and Strategies")

There are some threads, that I know from the beginning just don't go there - should have realized this would be one, but I got sucked in. lol

I agree. It is one thing to be depressed about a trip and the desire to vent, but these posts should not be on the TPA&S forum. They should be on the community board. It would be different if these types of posts were more along the lines of "Nervous about upcoming trip. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make FP+ work for me?" Then it would make sense to post them here. Unfortunately, there are more threads along the lines of "I'm never going back" and "Woe is me" from people not wanting advice at all, just wanting to complain. I have no problem with the complaining, and I try to offer suggestions on how to look at things from a different perspective, but there are better places for these types of threads than the TPA&S forum.

Good luck finding when that is - maybe the week or two after Labor Day. We thought we were going off-season in February (after President's Day week and before spring break). There were way more people at the parks than anticipated, including lots of school-age kids, foreign visitors, etc. Hate it that we're not bound to school schedules any more, but we still can't get a break from crowds.

It's not those weeks after labor day either :(. We were there last year at that time. Besides it being crazy hot, it was more crowded than I've seen it in 5 years (we usually go in November or October).

Thanks, I appreciate the support.

I hope things turn around for both are sakes. Dis boards are pretty biased, or Mickey tinted glass might be a better term. Out side of here, fp+ isn't getting anywhere near as high of reviews, percentage wise of people returning.

Wdw will have to do something, they'll be forced to at some point.

Disney is doing something. Whether thru luck or skill, they have managed to fill their parks year-round, while slowly reducing discounts. FP+ ensures that all of these new visitors get to enjoy a few E-ticket rides even on the most crowded days.

Disney is doing something. Whether thru luck or skill, they have managed to fill their parks year-round, while slowly reducing discounts. FP+ ensures that all of these new visitors get to enjoy a few E-ticket rides even on the most crowded days.

And if anything, I would say the people on this board slant towards criticizing Disney for the FP+ situation. Very few people who haven't experienced it have been optimistic on this board.

And I'm tired of people that have criticisms of the FP+ system being labeled "negative, nothing but complainers, Debbie Downers, etc". I'm also tired of the attitude that because someone didn't enjoy the FP+ experience, they are somehow wrong.

And I'm tired of people that have criticisms of the FP+ system being labeled "negative, nothing but complainers, Debbie Downers, etc". I'm also tired of the attitude that because someone didn't enjoy the FP+ experience, they are somehow wrong.

I agree - I am just as tired of people being called "Debbie Downers" etc. I am not saying someone is wrong if they didn't enjoy the FP+ experience. People who only complain about the complainers are just as bad. I would just rather see less "feelings" and more ideas.

EDITED
I have no problem with hearing why something did not work for you. Specific examples etc. Something I can bite my teeth in. More specifics - less "feelings"

But this board seems to be set so that those who criticize Disney are right, and those who don't are wrong. People who don't have a problem with the things Disney does (be it mugs with chips in them or FP+) are constantly mocked, while those who dislike those things are held up to be "right" or somehow less biased.

I agree we all have the right to our feelings, be them negative or positive. But I also agree that posting only about those feelings, and not asking for advice, or for suggestions on how to change things, has nothing to do with Theme Park Attractions and Strategies. And only serves to rile the masses, no matter which side of the FP+ issue one is on.

If you're spending more than 1 day in the Magic Kingdom, you're going to hit everything. I don't know why you would ever stress about this.

Why do you suppose the OP schedules 3 or 4 days in the MK each trip? If they used to be able to do everything 3 or 4 times, are they now just supposed to be grateful that they can do everything once or twice?

If your favorite restaurant all of a sudden cut their portions in half, how excited would you be? And if they raised prices while doing that?

OP, I hope it works out better than you are expecting. It's always frustrating when there's something you enjoy, something that just "works" for you and your family....... that undergoes a major change.

IMHO, FP+ is a much better system for those who like to have a relaxing trip. You get to select your own times, PLUS you can shift them around. If you have your time come up and the standby is relatively short, you can use the FP for something else. If you don't feel like crossing the park to get to a time, or if you get stuck in a meal and miss your time, you can easily move it. The new system is so much more flexible than the old. While I do wish they would increase the max per day at MK to 4 or 5, I can say that this system is a huge improvement over the old, and we used FP- aggressively. As with everything in life, some will hate the changes and some will love them, but hopefully most people will be in the middle, and figure out how to use it to their own individual advantage.

Absolutely agree!

I'll admit I didn't think I would like it, but it turned out perfect. Not having to run around grabbing FP from the rides you want (esp with small children). It was so relaxing to know I had a FP for the ride I wanted at the time I chose. So I knew what rides/attractions to hit in between. I look forward to using it again! A couple more for MK would be grand!

But to completely cancel a trip to WDW over it is absurd, but to each their own. The way I see it is less people in the stand by lines for me. ;)

Posts like this makes it really hard for me to feel sorry for you all. Disney is a luxury, and the beautiful thing is that there are many great places to vacation here in the United States.

You have two options: Go and makes the best of it, or cancel.

And why in the world do you have a trip scheduled for September if this is pure misery to you?

And FWIW, FP+ has made it so our family can enjoy our ADRs without worrying that we won't get a FP for a particular attraction. It also helps if we don't make rope drop.

I can only think of the positives.

Why do you suppose the OP schedules 3 or 4 days in the MK each trip? If they used to be able to do everything 3 or 4 times, are they now just supposed to be grateful that they can do everything once or twice?

If your favorite restaurant all of a sudden cut their portions in half, how excited would you be? And if they raised prices while doing that?

Exactly. That's where the "mickey tinted glasses" comment comes from. I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the insanity in ignore such facts.

OP, I hope it works out better than you are expecting. It's always frustrating when there's something you enjoy, something that just "works" for you and your family....... that undergoes a major change.

Thank you, I'll see how things go in the next few days but at this point I booked a room only reservation anticipating cancelling the package in 14 days.

I drive for our main 2 week vacation yearly (I take weekends on both sides so I wind up with about 17 days) so I don't have to worry about air reservations for this trip.

I may skip Florida and do something else for a week for now and wait and see what happens by September and take two weeks then instead.

Times running out though. Especially is we decide to fly elsewhere during that time period, I'd prefer not to pay through the nose for airfare.

I just don't get what the fuss is about. Walk in the park you want to visit, and go to the ride you want to ride, wait in line, ride and move on to the next. What did y'all do before the days of fastpass?

We are heading down in May and have no intention of using the FP. We never have. We fly by the seat of our pants! It seems astonishing to many, but has always worked for us. No expectation, no disappointment. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We were never a family to ride the same ride over and over on the same trip. There was just too many other things to do. We did, however, use Fast pass for about 4-6 rides per day at MK. We just returned from our first Magic Band trip in early March. I had doubts about it after reading all the negative comments on this Board, but I decided to go with an open mind.

Overall, I liked it, I really liked it! We still did rope drop, but now we ALL went to our first ride rather than sending a runner for a fast pass. We reserved most of our FPs for evening times, which worked great. We did a lot of rides in the mornings, saw the parade in the afternoon as well as did non-FP activities like the Riverboat. We enjoyed a nice sit down dinner and then used our Fast passes. Like others have said, it was a much more relaxing trip!

I actually found the enforcement of Fast pass return times to have negatively influenced our touring plans much more so than Fast pass plus.

My conclusion after reading all the threads is that if your family was a hard core commando group for whom park enjoyment was based on the number of rides per day/repeated rides, you are not going to see anything good about the changes. Disney has basically cut you off at the knees. But, you represent only a small fraction of those who visit Disney World. Most people do not tour like you and for us, the new system works just fine. My only complaints are tiering (EP and HS) and only three fp at MK, and they are just minor things to me at this time.

The people I feel really sorry for are the first timers who don't have a clue what they are doing. This entire system is just overwhelming to them. I have tried to help a couple of people I work with, but there is so much they need to learn

Oh, about the suggestion to just go and wait in line.... That IS the deal breaker for me. Several years ago I went to Universal with group who didn't want to buy the front of the line pass. We waited 30-90 minutes for every single ride, or did single rider. I hated the whole day. Why go with a group of friends if you are going to do single rider? I vowed never to do that again, and I haven't. If we can't afford FOTL passes, we don't go. And, if Disney changes FP to the point that I have to swift more than 30 minutes for a ride, I will stop going.

I just don't get what the fuss is about. Walk in the park you want to visit, and go to the ride you want to ride, wait in line, ride and move on to the next. What did y'all do before the days of fastpass?

I'm glad that works for you. But with FP now taking an estimated 70-90% of ride capacity, you can't just pretend it doesn't exist. In the days before fastpass standby was the only option. Now with FP patrons prioritized over standby you're basically just filling leftover spots. And that applies to far more rides than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!