Toy story and Star Wars Lands timelines?

Mikeyuk

Earning My Ears
As far as I am aware there have been no dates confirmed for toy story land or Star Wars land, yet I have read on a few posts and on other sites about toy story being 2017/18 and Star Wars 2020. Is this all just guesswork or have I missed something and there has been some confirmation?

It is all guess work. Avatar land is supposed to open in 2017. The belief is toy story is land is finished with planning and will take less time to complete so it will be next assumption being they want to stagger those two openings, so probably 6 months to a year after avatar land. Once toy story land is nearly done they will probably begin work on star wars. This way they aren't in the middle of two major construction projects at the same park at once. Everyone also assumes that they want all of this completed prior to the wdw 50th anniversary in 2021.which I think clearly makes sense. But for now it is all guess work and educated speculation.

It is all guess work. Avatar land is supposed to open in 2017. The belief is toy story is land is finished with planning and will take less time to complete so it will be next assumption being they want to stagger those two openings, so probably 6 months to a year after avatar land. Once toy story land is nearly done they will probably begin work on star wars. This way they aren't in the middle of two major construction projects at the same park at once. Everyone also assumes that they want all of this completed prior to the wdw 50th anniversary in 2021.which I think clearly makes sense. But for now it is all guess work and educated speculation.
Ok, thanks. Yes I thought that was the case. I assume they will get moving with toy story asap as they have closed so much down

As far as I am aware there have been no dates confirmed for toy story land or Star Wars land, yet I have read on a few posts and on other sites about toy story being 2017/18 and Star Wars 2020. Is this all just guesswork or have I missed something and there has been some confirmation?
It's all guessing. Disney did announce that construction on Star Wars would start in 2017. It's said by sources that starting this year construction would start on toy story land. Finishing dates are estimated to be 2018 for toy story and 2020 to even possibly 2021 depending on how things go.

It's all guessing. Disney did announce that construction on Star Wars would start in 2017. It's said by sources that starting this year construction would start on toy story land. Finishing dates are estimated to be 2018 for toy story and 2020 to even possibly 2021 depending on how things go.
Ok thank you for the info

I'm just amazed at how slow they are, not only to build things, but to start the construction. Maybe its budget related but why can't they start on both lands now and get these things up sooner. I don't get there decision making when it comes to construction. It boggles my mind it took 5 years to build New Fantasyland, or hey we need to fix some things in Pirates, let's announce it in Feb but we will take the ride down in May and do it over the busy season, not let's do it know so its done in time for Summer. Or let's announce Avatar in 2011 but won't start building till 2013. I don't get it. I mean Universal gets there stuff done in half the time. They also announce halfway through construction.

it took 5 years to build New Fantasyland
New Fantasyland didn't really take five years it was done in phases likely how these projects will be done. The Dumbo area opened first in 2012. Belle and Mermaid soon after. Then the Fairy tale hall. and finally in May 2014 Mine Train was done. Mine Train was put in at the very end of the project and took about three years to build.

I'm just amazed at how slow they are, not only to build things, but to start the construction. Maybe its budget related but why can't they start on both lands now and get these things up sooner. I don't get there decision making when it comes to construction. It boggles my mind it took 5 years to build New Fantasyland, or hey we need to fix some things in Pirates, let's announce it in Feb but we will take the ride down in May and do it over the busy season, not let's do it know so its done in time for Summer. Or let's announce Avatar in 2011 but won't start building till 2013. I don't get it. I mean Universal gets there stuff done in half the time. They also announce halfway through construction.

My understanding is that Star Wars land is still in the development phase and is not ready to start. Based on the concept art and what was announced, Toy Story land appears ready to start construction sooner. The announcements are all carefully planned by the marketing people to get the effect they are looking for. If you look at the construction time lines, Uni does seem to build faster, but not twice as fast as Disney, except for Transformers which was an anomaly.

New Fantasyland didn't really take five years it was done in phases likely how these projects will be done. The Dumbo area opened first in 2012. Belle and Mermaid soon after. Then the Fairy tale hall. and finally in May 2014 Mine Train was done. Mine Train was put in at the very end of the project and took about three years to build.

Your're right, but it still took too long

It would be really great if Star Wars was done by 2019 for the 30th anniversary of the park. They could have a big 30th birthday celebration and also debut the new name for the park at that time to celebrate its new purpose. Given how slow Disney moves and the fact that the Star Wars concepts didn't even look close to being ready to build, I doubt they'll be able to make it happen in time.

It would be really great if Star Wars was done by 2019 for the 30th anniversary of the park.
I completely agree with you there! It would be nice to have all this done by 2019. But unfortunately I think @DanBoris is right. The renderings kind of make it look like Star Wars Land is in development still, whereas Toy Story Land looks ready to build tomorrow since all the rides they plan to put in already exist in one way or another.

It would be really great if Star Wars was done by 2019 for the 30th anniversary of the park. They could have a big 30th birthday celebration and also debut the new name for the park at that time to celebrate its new purpose. Given how slow Disney moves and the fact that the Star Wars concepts didn't even look close to being ready to build, I doubt they'll be able to make it happen in time.
I think they are pushing more to have it done for the 50th of WDW in 2021.

I think they are pushing more to have it done for the 50th of WDW in 2021.

Like I said, I really doubt they could get it done by 2019 give their recent construction timelines and the state of the concept art shown this week. I just think it would be great if they somehow had a fire lit under them so as to not take 6 years to build something new. That way it could free up some budget and personnel to do something awesome for the Magic Kingdom for its 50th in 2021. While it would nice to point at the new Star Wars land at Disney's Hollywood Adventure (or whatever they're going to call the Studios going forward), the focus for the 50th Anniversary celebration in 2021 should really be on the Magic Kingdom.

I completely agree with you there! It would be nice to have all this done by 2019. But unfortunately I think @DanBoris is right. The renderings kind of make it look like Star Wars Land is in development still, whereas Toy Story Land looks ready to build tomorrow since all the rides they plan to put in already exist in one way or another.

Definitely. The Toy Story rendering looks like they've got plans that are close to shovel ready. The Star Wars renderings look like they're still in the early concept phase of "draw some pictures of things that might look cool and we'll flesh them out later".

Like I said, I really doubt they could get it done by 2019 give their recent construction timelines and the state of the concept art shown this week. I just think it would be great if they somehow had a fire lit under them so as to not take 6 years to build something new. That way it could free up some budget and personnel to do something awesome for the Magic Kingdom for its 50th in 2021. While it would nice to point at the new Star Wars land at Disney's Hollywood Adventure (or whatever they're going to call the Studios going forward), the focus for the 50th Anniversary celebration in 2021 should really be on the Magic Kingdom.
The 50th will have its own budget if it gets approved the budget for DHS is spread out over the next 5-6 years. Disney doesn't do much for smaller anniversaries. Look at the 25th at DHS there were some pins and t shirts. The 50th of WDW should be bigger depending on what the execs decide they should do.

Definitely. The Toy Story rendering looks like they've got plans that are close to shovel ready. The Star Wars renderings look like they're still in the early concept phase of "draw some pictures of things that might look cool and we'll flesh them out later".
Yes from what I've heard from sources details are very very limited because they are still designing. Toy story is much closer to beginning construction.

The 50th will have its own budget if it gets approved the budget for DHS is spread out over the next 5-6 years. Disney doesn't do much for smaller anniversaries. Look at the 25th at DHS there were some pins and t shirts. The 50th of WDW should be bigger depending on what the execs decide they should do.
Just how "big" the 50th anniversary celebration will be may depend on how successful Disneyland's 60th is/was (by the time all the numbers are in). It's a good bet the Magic Kingdom won't get any new rides between now and then, with so much going on in the other parks. Of course there will be a celebration. But I don't think Star Wars Land will be tied in to it.

Another thing worth noting with regards to timing of Star Wars Land is the fact that they announced it for Disneyland AND DHS. This tells me that they may want to open them at the same time. Disneyland has a lot of infrastructure work that needs to be done before Star Wars Land can be built. It's quite possible the new land could open in phases, like New Fantasyland did at MK. I know that here in California, nothing is going to start inside the park until after the 60th is over. And that could be at least another year away.

Reactions: eXo
Is this where I point out...again...that Disney doesn't really care about anniversaries in Florida...

They don't have the right demographics to need them...they pack the place without them.

Gotta let that stuff go, guys...it works for the California crowd.

Wdw suffers no I'll affects for bloated time lines.

They suffer no decline in attendance or the profits that the place is solely there for in the business context now...

It's not that they can't build it faster...it's that they are given no reason to.

They have 5,000 timeshare units onsite and are moving towards 10,000...

Many of their demographics are one timers or seldom visitors...so the awe of all the old accomplishment works to get them there and get them in the giftshop.

There had been no hesitation to accept closures in EPCOT for 10 years, animal kingdom stagnation for 10, and a massive reduction in MGM recently after years of stagnation...

They can finance the projects over huge timeframes/fiscal years, then market them as "coming" and "new" for so long that a kindergarten class could catch on.

But they'll be in fifth grade by the time it opens.

We finance the operation, provide the profits, but also help them dilute the investment and the benefit to the consumers.

How old, simple will rockin roller coaster be by the time Star Wars goes vertical? Midway mania?
Things to consider.

As Kevin bacon says in a few good men
"These are the facts of the case... And they are indisputable"

They simply are. Agree or not...go or don't go. That's the sitch

There is something all of you WDW fans are missing. That is the deal that Disney struck with the city of Anaheim. In order for there to be no new entertainment taxes in Anaheim for decades. Disney must break ground on the new project by the end of 2017 and I believe construction must end by 2024 (or something like that. Not a hundred percent sure about the latter date). So of course Disney could build out DHS without considering the California construction, but I bet they will want them to open together at roughly the same pace.

You throw in Avatar and Frozen EPCOT, new Soarin' and even Toy Story Land (which will probably open first, nothing ground breaking here) and you get a steady trickle of new theme park stuff for WDW. If ground breaks in 2017 for DL and the Star Wars land opens in 2021. THere is no steady trickle. A replacement for Luigi's Flying Tire Ride and Soarin' over the World. That is all that will be new at DL until Star Wars Land opens. Of course there are some little plusses to wait for like Hyper Space Mountain and a new Star Tours, but still WDW sounds like it is getting more goodies!

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter