• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toy story and Star Wars Lands timelines?

The other thing that was announced awhile back was that they want to incorporate the new movie into whatever they do in the parks.
This movie is coming out in December so lets say they build everything around that and it flops, then what? Everyone hates the prequels, so if there was a park based on that in the process of being built prior to the release of even the 1st movie guess what. A complete redo would be done since that park would now be suffering due to the fact its based off a horrible set of movies.

I'd rather them wait it out. See the outcome of the first film at least.
But also have plans for attractions based off the "holy trilogy" just in case.

Though what that exactly means, (simulator, coaster, dark ride... spinner!) they were very careful not to say. Personally I'm hoping for some sort of dark ride. DHS doesn't have many of those.
Mice chat said they're going the trackless route which should be extremely interesting... I wonder if they'll be a level of control or it gets mixed up each time.

Mice chat said they're going the trackless route which should be extremely interesting... I wonder if they'll be a level of control or it gets mixed up each time.

My guess is they haven't decided yet. They probably have a few proposals under consideration, but given how vague they were they aren't committing to a particular design.

So I'm sitting here watching Discovery Family and a show entitled, "Disney Cruise Line: Reimagined" about the complete redesign and dry-dock overhaul of the Disney Magic cruise ship. At one point they brag about having spent 2 years getting all the designs, kinks, paint, yadda yadda yadda before it came in. Then they did it all in 2 months. Stripped all the pain, redesigned the bathrooms in most of the staterooms, and a bunch of other things. Hey, you should brag about that...but then to try to tell us they don't have a timeline for the DHS expansions is RIDICULOUS. As lockedout has stated, they've had StarWars for a few years now. How was the first thing not done was a green light for a land for the movie. It should all be designed, 3d modeled, ang whatnot so that shovels went in ground during D23. In fact, Iger should've been at DHS and done a video in where he apologized for not being there but then scan out to show him with a shovel breaking ground. And 14 acres for 2 rides???? Seriously? He's right, they are playing with us. I feel bad for him and his kid for the wait. I'm lucky, just had my first last year so he'll be 7 by the time it's done, perfect for him, but not so much for his 2 six year old cousins who will be 11 and won't necessarily want to go to Disney anymore.

I agree that they should have Star Wars Land open sooner, but even though I don't like it, I can see why the cruise ship was done faster. Everyday that ship is out of the water, Disney is loosing money. On the other hand with DHS, people are still coming, and they are still getting an attendance increase each year to there is no incentive for them to get something open fast. The 2 rides in 14 acres doesn't bother me in the least as long as the rides and land are well done. Creating a super immersive environment like they did with Carsland, or Uni did with Diagon Alley, makes the land an attraction in itself. The land will also have themed shops, restaurants, and probably other non-ride attractions.

Hmmmm...the first two I agree with...the third not likely..
The fourth no way.
So you don't think Star Wars will be done by or in 2020?

And I think the fourth is likely. The LMA area is unaccounted for with these new lands. 2.8 billion is being spent on this park. It's time to be at least a little optimistic even if these lands aren't opening tomorrow.

And I think the fourth is likely. The LMA area is unaccounted for with these new lands. 2.8 billion is being spent on this park. It's time to be at least a little optimistic even if these lands aren't opening tomorrow.

If they get the "massive uptick" that they are hoping for at DHS with TS and SW, what is the incentive to outlay more cash in a thriving park? How much more of an "uptick" will they want / expect? Personally, I think the cost/benefit will have been maxed out once SW is complete.

For selfish reasons, I really hope that they shift focus to the park with the giant golf ball (and not much else) after SW land is complete.

You're normally not an apologist, but come onnnnnn. Perhaps you didn't get the whole, "having spent 2 years getting all the designs, kinks, paint, yadda yadda yadda before it came in". That's where the problems lie. They pulled another Avatar on people but because it's Star Wars, it's getting a pass. If they've already done something and it sucked, don't announce until it's all ready.

I know what dry-dock is and how that enabled them to work around the clock BUT, an this is the crucial part, it's the fact that once it was in dry-dock that they were able to start work immediately. Everyone's been so impressed by the Avatar model they had at D23, but think about this, that should've been out at the last one if you go by how they did things for the Magic.

As for incorporating the new movies...fine, that's not hard to do. If the Millenium Falcon ride has always been an idea they should have firm details on that and then the other ride should've been based on the new movies.

The criticisms I get do not fall on deaf ears...so I'm trying to be "fair" with all this...

But damn...you're riling me up...know why?

Because everything you said here is dead right.

And rteetz, don't fall for the "design" shell game about inagineering either.
If they want a land built... The loose parameters and budget guidelines are dictated from the managers...so they don't waste tens of millions in development costs and then throw it out with the bath water if its "not quite right".

It's an artistic endeavor...no doubt. But it's not as though 40 guys designed a land in 2012...they said "not quite right"...and they started over again.

Realistically...the conversation to buy Lucasfilm was in 2011...the movie work started early 2012...they announced the sale on 10/30/12...and the deal was completed around January 1.

If they wanted a Star Wars land designed and ready to go right now...it would have been.

So what's the only other viable theory on this?

If they get the "massive uptick" that they are hoping for at DHS with TS and SW, what is the incentive to outlay more cash in a thriving park? How much more of an "uptick" will they want / expect?

For selfish reasons, I really hope that they shift focus to the park with the giant golf ball (and not much else) after SW land is complete.
Well this budget is supposed to be for the next 6 years. 2015-2021, 2.8 billion for DHS alone. Avatar is costing around 600 million so that would lead me to believe Star Wars about the same. Then 300-400 million for toy story land put us at or around 1 billion. I can't believe that 1.8 would then go to infrastructure work like parking garages and stuff. I know a lot of you don't believe in the insiders and what not but most of them say more is coming and Star Wars wasn't even supposed to be announced at D23.

I also agree that Epcot should be next.

The criticisms I get do not fall on deaf ears...so I'm trying to be "fair" with all this...

But damn...you're riling me up...know why?

Because everything you said here is dead right.

And rteetz, don't fall for the "design" shell game about inagineering either.
If they want a land built... The loose parameters and budget guidelines are dictated from the managers...so they don't waste tens of millions in development costs and then throw it out with the bath water if its "not quite right".

It's an artistic endeavor...no doubt. But it's not as though 40 guys designed a land in 2012...they said "not quite right"...and they started over again.

Realistically...the conversation to buy Lucasfilm was in 2011...the movie work started early 2012...they announced the sale on 10/30/12...and the deal was completed around January 1.

If they wanted a Star Wars land designed and ready to go right now...it would have been.

So what's the only other viable theory on this?
I really don't believe they started Star Wars land ideas until after the deal was announced. Trowbridge wasn't placed on as the head of this project until what 2013? Everything I've heard says that Star Wars land wasn't supposed to be announced at D23 but was because Bob was worried about stock prices.

2.8 billion is being spent on this park. It's time to be at least a little optimistic even if these lands aren't opening tomorrow.

Oh no...no...NOOOO!!!

"Nurse, charge the paddles...lets see if we can get him back"

I'm not disputing your take on optimism...I'm judging your acceptance of that budget figure.

I think you know better. I can send an email to somebody over at wdwmagic and tell them I'm worth 3.6 billion.

Right now it's no easier to disprove me than it is to prove them.

I really don't believe they started Star Wars land ideas until after the deal was announced. Trowbridge wasn't placed on as the head of this project until what 2013? Everything I've heard says that Star Wars land wasn't supposed to be announced at D23 but was because Bob was worried about stock prices.

Good point on the announcement...it ticks me off and fuels to my fire...but whatever...

But my friend, I think you're wrong on the timeline of the deal.
They knew 10 minutes into the first conversation that the deal was gonna happen. That's how this thing works in the massive corporate world. That was long before 1/1/13.

Don't believe me...read the article written in 2013 about it. Lucas called Iger and said "I'm done...buy me out". It's
Right there between the lines.

Oh no...no...NOOOO!!!

"Nurse, charge the paddles...lets see if we can get him back"

I'm not disputing your take on optimism...I'm judging your acceptance of that budget figure.

I think you know better. I can send an email to somebody over at wdwmagic and tell them I'm worth 3.6 billion.

Right now it's no easier to disprove me than it is to prove them.

I have seen nothing to disprove the budget is 2.8 billion or not something around that. So if you don't believe it is that much what do you think it is? With Star Wars and toy story likely going in echo lake and behind TSMM the LMA is untouched. With the new focus on the park having LMA in the middle is going to stick out like a sore thumb something is going to happen there.

Good point on the announcement...it ticks me off and fuels to my fire...but whatever...

But my friend, I think you're wrong on the timeline of the deal.
They knew 10 minutes into the first conversation that the deal was gonna happen. That's how this thing works in the massive corporate world. That was long before 1/1/13.

Don't believe me...read the article written in 2013 about it. Lucas called Iger and said "I'm done...buy me out". It's
Right there between the lines.
I know that about the deal. Lucas wouldn't have sold to anyone else. I'm talking about design and planning for the land. I really don't think that was well underway until 2013 when they created a Star Wars studio in imagineering.

I have seen nothing to disprove the budget is 2.8 billion or not something around that. So if you don't believe it is that much what do you think it is? With Star Wars and toy story likely going in echo lake and behind TSMM the LMA is untouched. With the new focus on the park having LMA in the middle is going to stick out like a sore thumb something is going to happen there.

You overshot the easy point..

That it's not about "proving" this budget...it's that the budget can't be proven and you are in err if you postulate additional construction based on it.

Why am I there? Something we do have a window into - fantasyland. Announced by homeless jay Rasulo to great fanfare at the nerd bowl in 2009...with rendering and - as expected - "insider" info that the budget was somewhere between $700-$900 million bucks...almost immediately. As the months passes... The number of around $743 sticks in my head.

Circa last year...after the dust had settled...I remember seeing the number $425...if I recall some official reps might have mentioned it.

I have a knack for remembering minutia. I'm like Melanie griffiths character in working girl...

LET...THE RIVER RUN!!!!

...anyway.

So what I caution you on is convincing yourself that 2.8 is anything...or guaranteed. It's like an nfl contract at this point...in bitcoin.

You overshot the easy point..

That it's not about "proving" this budget...it's that the budget can't be proven and you are in err if you postulate additional construction based on it.

Why am I there? Something we do have a window into - fantasyland. Announced by homeless jay Rasulo to great fanfare at the nerd bowl in 2009...with rendering and - as expected - "insider" info that the budget was somewhere between $700-$900 million bucks...almost immediately. As the months passes... The number of around $743 sticks in my head.

Circa last year...after the dust had settled...I remember seeing the number $425...if I recall some official reps might have mentioned it.

I have a knack for remembering minutia. I'm like Melanie griffiths character in working girl...

LET...THE RIVER RUN!!!!

...anyway.

So what I caution you on is convincing yourself that 2.8 is anything...or guaranteed. It's like an nfl contract at this point...in bitcoin.
I understand, but I still think there will be something else that hasn't been announced yet even if it's not a land but just one attraction or something. This park needs more work than just adding these two lands. I think one of the biggest problems is the fact that this park isn't losing attendance or money. If it was you'd see more urgency like with DCA.

I know that about the deal. Lucas wouldn't have sold to anyone else. I'm talking about design and planning for the land. I really don't think that was well underway until 2013 when they created a Star Wars studio in imagineering.

In not disputing that...I'm saying there was no reason for that timeline.

And goes to the greater theory that this is a consumer shell game. Which even if you're on the "pro Disney" side - I've seen alot of acknowledgement of over the last couple of weeks.

It's just - sadly - resignation now...
"Oh well...they're gonna jack up passes again and tell me to get pumped for something that's a decade away...like downtown or avatar...meanwhile there's plenty of time for me to be maimed in an accident involving farm equipment between now and then...and my newborn will be an exchange student in Prague for the grand opening...

Oh well...nobody does it better! Time for some Halloween cupcakes and abbreviated fireworks!"

I understand, but I still think there will be something else that hasn't been announced yet even if it's not a land but just one attraction or something. This park needs more work than just adding these two lands. I think one of the biggest problems is the fact that this park isn't losing attendance or money. If it was you'd see more urgency like with DCA.

Ok...but your thoughts on this indicated you may have dropped into the rabbit hole...

Do you see where my take is coming from?

In not disputing that...I'm saying there was no reason for that timeline.

And goes to the greater theory that this is a consumer shell game. Which even if you're on the "pro Disney" side - I've seen alot of acknowledgement of over the last couple of weeks.

It's just - sadly - resignation now...
"Oh well...they're gonna jack up passes again and tell me to get pumped for something that's a decade away...like downtown or avatar...meanwhile there's plenty of time for me to be maimed in an accident involving farm equipment between now and then...and my newborn will be an exchange student in Prague for the grand opening...

Oh well...nobody does it better! Time for some Halloween cupcakes and abbreviated fireworks!"
I understand your points. I haven't given Disney much credit like some other people and I may have fallen into that category of at least their doing something. I haven't paid for a vacation on my own yet so I don't necessarily see the value in things like some other people. Unfortunately I've really only grown up with Igers Disney. I was born the year AK opened and Eisner went down hill after that. We can't go back to those days we can only live in the present and hopefully the future is a better Disney. I have to remain somewhat optimistic in this even if it takes until 2021. At least Disney is finally spending money in places it should be spent.

My guess is they haven't decided yet. They probably have a few proposals under consideration, but given how vague they were they aren't committing to a particular design.
Remember these things can take years though. If it's true that we're looking at a 2019 opening it's more than possible that they could already have a basic ride system down. Though as you say, things are probably still in flux.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter