Toy story and Star Wars Lands timelines?

Not much gets done in wdw these days...and we've had closures an along periods of mothballing on our side of the union. (Think why I'm saying that - I ask - Before I'm given shopping malls, timeshares, and cruiseships as a counter argument)

Disneyland had gotten much more tlc and needed it since bob took over - he apparently only rights checks when they're are within a golf shot of his office...

But wdw is the cash cow and is gigantic...it really never should get less... Roughly 2x if your honest.

It's a dangerous game to just let the car coast during a race. Themeparks are always a race... That will never end.

And honestly... If wdw were to breathe a word of the implications of an Anaheim tax abatement on tickets...literally pee in the can in broader terms...affecting construction...

I'm out. Life is too short for that kinda cheapskate nonsense. Wdw and Disneyland are and should be operated autonomously. Nothing similar about them except the giftshops.

Just how "big" the 50th anniversary celebration will be may depend on how successful Disneyland's 60th is/was (by the time all the numbers are in). It's a good bet the Magic Kingdom won't get any new rides between now and then, with so much going on in the other parks. Of course there will be a celebration. But I don't think Star Wars Land will be tied in to it.

Another thing worth noting with regards to timing of Star Wars Land is the fact that they announced it for Disneyland AND DHS. This tells me that they may want to open them at the same time. Disneyland has a lot of infrastructure work that needs to be done before Star Wars Land can be built. It's quite possible the new land could open in phases, like New Fantasyland did at MK. I know that here in California, nothing is going to start inside the park until after the 60th is over. And that could be at least another year away.
Well Disneyland is much different than WDW. The 60th has been highly successful. I also don't think we will get a Disneyland style celebration. We likely do get a new parade or fireworks show but it won't be something new at all of the parks or something like that. Disney has announced Star Wars construction won't start until 2017. That's why 2020-21 is very likely.

Is this where I point out...again...that Disney doesn't really care about anniversaries in Florida...

They don't have the right demographics to need them...they pack the place without them.

Gotta let that stuff go, guys...it works for the California crowd.
I understand anniversaries aren't as big in Florida but we will still likely get a new firework show or parade and probably a new dessert party because we can't have enough of those. I don't think we will get a Disneyland style celebration but it will be something.

There is something all of you WDW fans are missing. That is the deal that Disney struck with the city of Anaheim. In order for there to be no new entertainment taxes in Anaheim for decades. Disney must break ground on the new project by the end of 2017 and I believe construction must end by 2024 (or something like that. Not a hundred percent sure about the latter date). So of course Disney could build out DHS without considering the California construction, but I bet they will want them to open together at roughly the same pace.

You throw in Avatar and Frozen EPCOT, new Soarin' and even Toy Story Land (which will probably open first, nothing ground breaking here) and you get a steady trickle of new theme park stuff for WDW. If ground breaks in 2017 for DL and the Star Wars land opens in 2021. THere is no steady trickle. A replacement for Luigi's Flying Tire Ride and Soarin' over the World. That is all that will be new at DL until Star Wars Land opens. Of course there are some little plusses to wait for like Hyper Space Mountain and a new Star Tours, but still WDW sounds like it is getting more goodies!

Larry
The deal was that between 2017 and 2024 Disney would spend 1.5 billion in Anaheim. Really that is not very difficult for Disney to do at with Star Wars or not. Disney has said construction will begin by the end of 2017. It's likely it's a 3-4 year project opening in 2020-21. Toy story construction is rumored to start at the end of this year. It's also likely more is yet to be announced for DHS.

I understand anniversaries aren't as big in Florida but we will still likely get a new firework show or parade and probably a new dessert party because we can't have enough of those. I don't think we will get a Disneyland style celebration but it will be something.

The closest thing they've done to an "anniversary" in Florida with any effort was millenium...

That was long ago. Eisner greenlit all that garbage that followed too - I believe - 100 year did magic, magical gatherings, year of a million dreams.

The Iger people determined they don't need them...they're right...the worm turned.

Not much gets done in wdw these days...and we've had closures an along periods of mothballing on our side of the union. (Think why I'm saying that - I ask - Before I'm given shopping malls, timeshares, and cruiseships as a counter argument)

Disneyland had gotten much more tlc and needed it since bob took over - he apparently only rights checks when they're are within a golf shot of his office...

But wdw is the cash cow and is gigantic...it really never should get less... Roughly 2x if your honest.

It's a dangerous game to just let the car coast during a race. Themeparks are always a race... That will never end.

And honestly... If wdw were to breathe a word of the implications of an Anaheim tax abatement on tickets...literally pee in the can in broader terms...affecting construction...

I'm out. Life is too short for that kinda cheapskate nonsense. Wdw and Disneyland are and should be operated autonomously. Nothing similar about them except the giftshops.
Ok Lockedout I'm usually in agreement with what you say but not now. Disney is finally doing something at DHS with both Pixar and Star Wars. Yes toy story land could've been better but it also could've been worse. Toy story land could've been an exact copy from Paris but luckily it's not. Also the details are very very minimal on Star Wars and it's likely things still change with that project since final designing isn't done yet. With all of this and likely some other announcements of changes at DHS to come you still seem negative. Toy story isn't going to blow away but it seems like Star Wars will. There are a lot of negative people at wdwmagic way more negative than you or anyone else here and even they are lightening up and finally happy that something is happening. So my question to you is what else is needed? What more does it take? Yes DHS still won't be on MK level it likely never will be but at least they are investing in it. Yes Epcot we should all be disappointed that frozen and Soarin is all that is happening there. AK based on what's been said and released I think avatar will be great one of the most immersive things Disney has done, yes it's avatar but at least it's not based on the storyline of the movie. At MK other than a couple rides needing a refurb(one of them getting it right now) it's in pretty good shape.

Reactions: eXo
The closest thing they've done to an "anniversary" in Florida with any effort was millenium...

That was long ago. Eisner greenlit all that garbage that followed too - I believe - 100 year did magic, magical gatherings, year of a million dreams.

The Iger people determined they don't need them...they're right...the worm turned.
Again I understand but they'll still acknowledge it and it will likely be bigger than the 15th at AK or 25th at DHS where all it was, was t shirts and cupcakes the day of. I don't think we get all the refurbs and fixes that Disneys,Dan got but we will still probably get a parade or fireworks show, I'm not even saying we get both. 2021 Iger may not even be CEO anymore.

Listen, homie,

The Star Wars Thing is a hot button for me... So I don't expect you to be onboard this time.

They've announced nothing of substance. It was a matte painting and geek shriek...

I'm a Star Wars nut - do I want it this way? No.

But I can't shut the cerebrum down either.

Look at avatar...announcement...long period of nothing...now work...still not much of a clue...

Getting closer, clearer...but really were talking 6 years best case scenario. That's nuts. It's by choice.

Why am I going irrational here? I guess it's the 7 (soon to be 8) year old I play games with everyday. He was 4 when they bought Lucas...free and clear...no strings attached.

He'll be probably 13-14 when this thing ever gets a magicband swipe.

They're making a movie - we're psyched. But the suggestion that somehow that prohibits steps in the parks is a flaming pile...no joke.

That is disheartening. It just is. Like losing the superbowl or the cup finals. The journey might be fun - but the sting never goes away.

Thanks, Disney...hope that stock price rebounds.

;)

I know I'm a pain... But I don't think we can ignore the lack of committment, lack of schedule, and the recent history. Have they earned that? Honest question.

Last edited:
I was responding to one specific point of your post. I didn't say anything about the likelihood of such a celebration happening under the current leadership.

Ok...I got you.

But I see repeated references all over these boards to things like "anyone know what they're doing for EPCOT's 25?!?" And "it will be studios 30th" and "maybe something big for the 50th"

We'd just kinda need to move off that train - me thinks.

I'm sure they'll do some thing for 2021...

But it could be an afterthought...like an extra barge for illuminations 2000 and an extra cupcake or two :)

Listen, homie,

The Star Wars Thing is a hot button for me... So I don't expect you to be onboard this time.

They've announced nothing of substance. It was a matte painting and geek shriek...

I'm a Star Wars nut - do I want it this way? No.

But I can't shut the cerebrum down either.

Look at avatar...announcement...long period of nothing...now work...still not much of a clue...

Getting closer, clearer...but really were talking 6 years best case scenario. That's nuts. It's by choice.

Why am I going irrational here? I guess it's the 7 (soon to be 8) year old I play games with everyday. He was 4 when they bought Lucas...free and clear...no strings attached.

He'll be probably 13-14 when this thing ever gets a magicband swipe.

They're making a movie - we're psyched. But the suggestion that somehow that prohibits steps in the parks is a flaming pile...no joke.

That is disheartening. It just is. Like losing the superbowl or the cup finals. The journey might be fun - but the sting never goes away.

Thanks, Disney...hope that stock price rebounds.

;)

I know I'm a pain... But I don't think we can ignore the lack of committment, lack of schedule, and the recent history. Have they earned that? Honest question.
Well I'll certainly agree that the time it takes for things Disney does is not good, no argument there. Even before this was announced it was expected not until 2020-21. I'll be out of college probably by the time Star Wars opens.

Well I'll certainly agree that the time it takes for things Disney does is not good, no argument there. Even before this was announced it was expected not until 2020-21. I'll be out of college probably by the time Star Wars opens.

... And you'll have heavier stuff to deal with then. 100% guaranteed.

It's not good for you either

Toy story isn't going to blow away but it seems like Star Wars will. There are a lot of negative people at wdwmagic way more negative than you or anyone else here and even they are lightening up and finally happy that something is happening.

Never mind the negative nellies who you say are now pretty happy that something is happening. What about the normally optimistic fans and board contributors. Do you really think they are "happy" that it'll take 6 years to see this project happen? Ask yourself honestly - are you actually happy that you're being promised this great thing which is going to come so slowly, you'll be 1/3 older than you are now by the time you get to see it?

Many fans will have entered AND graduated from college by then (as you said). Every single little kid who's now nto Star Wars will be a teenager by the time this happens ... that's a lifetime for a kid. They will literally be different people. Young adults who are fancy-free right now will have kids, mortgages and other major responsibilities. Older adults will have empty nests instead of active young families by the time they get the chance to "fly" the Falcon.

I'm not saying that there won't be a market for this land when it opens. There will be. Or that the land won't be a great addition to the park. It will be.

But for a company to trumpet a theme park land with a 6 year time frame, and for fans to act like this is very cool, and it makes them very happy, is pretty absurd given that practically none of the fans are going to be the same people with the same circumstances as they have now by the time that opens. And considering that every single one of these fans knows d$mn well that it doesn't take more than 2 years to build a theme park land, or more than 3 or 4 years to build an entire theme park. And you know d$mn well that money isn't tight at WDC, that revenues are not flat and earnings aren't down. And that Star Wars is by far the world's biggest media property with the most fans and the most revenues.

Don't worry about whether you're being an optimist or a pessimistic. Just consider the cold, hard facts ... Disney is being a jerk to WDW and Star Wars fans.

Never mind the negative nellies who you say are now pretty happy that something is happening. What about the normally optimistic fans and board contributors. Do you really think they are "happy" that it'll take 6 years to see this project happen? Ask yourself honestly - are you actually happy that you're being promised this great thing which is going to come so slowly, you'll be 1/3 older than you are now by the time you get to see it?

Many fans will have entered AND graduated from college by then (as you said). Every single little kid who's now nto Star Wars will be a teenager by the time this happens ... that's a lifetime for a kid. They will literally be different people. Young adults who are fancy-free right now will have kids, mortgages and other major responsibilities. Older adults will have empty nests instead of active young families by the time they get the chance to "fly" the Falcon.

I'm not saying that there won't be a market for this land when it opens. There will be. Or that the land won't be a great addition to the park. It will be.

But for a company to trumpet a theme park land with a 6 year time frame, and for fans to act like this is very cool, and it makes them very happy, is pretty absurd given that practically none of the fans are going to be the same people with the same circumstances as they have now by the time that opens. And considering that every single one of these fans knows d$mn well that it doesn't take more than 2 years to build a theme park land, or more than 3 or 4 years to build an entire theme park. And you know d$mn well that money isn't tight at WDC, that revenues are not flat and earnings aren't down. And that Star Wars is by far the world's biggest media property with the most fans and the most revenues.

Don't worry about whether you're being an optimist or a pessimistic. Just consider the cold, hard facts ... Disney is being a jerk to WDW and Star Wars fans.
I agree but this isn't just WDW this time either. DL will get the same treatment. 2017 start construction and they will likely both open together in 2020-21. We'll see how the DL folk like it as they are more vocal than the WDW fans.

I agree but this isn't just WDW this time either. DL will get the same treatment. 2017 start construction and they will likely both open together in 2020-21. We'll see how the DL folk like it as they are more vocal than the WDW fans.

All out "celebrations" are a double edged sword IMO.

Increased offerings and crowd levels are directly proportional, as is pricing.

I'm fine with it, just not sure everyone else is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter