Top of the world lounge??

Fair enough. It has never been my experience, but, fair enough.

When we were there in late July I would put that lot at less then 40% full. And, that is being generous.

If you look at Google Maps - on average we parked in the 4th row north and about in the 20th to 30th slot. Most rows north of us and to the west of us were vacant.

I do agree this would be different if there is a huge convention at the resort.

Where I disagree with you: It is my opinion that WDW makes these blanket rules so as to keep things simple for the guards. But, I think any logical person knows if it is busy or not. So, if you feel those guarding your property cannot make such a simple decision - how effective are they?

It isn't just during big conventions- all fall especially the lot is extremely crowded when we arrived for check in at the end of Sept(on a party night) there were only 2 spots in the lot and it was 3:30pm. I mentioned it at the desk and they were getting ready to call security about the cars parked in the lot that did not belong. While I was checking in another party pulled up and asked where they could park as there were no spots left in the lot. I know when I looked out about 30 minutes after the first set of fireworks there were tons of spots. My personal feeling is they should have towed a huge number of cars that afternoon- there were plenty that did not belong and actual resort guests could not park there. I know many people say well I made a dining reservation and just headed to the MK or people going to the TOTWL that evening park there earlier in the day but on crowded days I think they should be towed. Personally I wish that they would not allow anyone to park unless they were parking valet on any party days at the Contemporary even if they have a restaurant reservation. If they did this they could actually allow DVC members not staying at BLT to park there on other evenings and it wouldn't be a problem.

Fair enough. It has never been my experience, but, fair enough. When we were there in late July I would put that lot at less then 40% full. And, that is being generous. If you look at Google Maps - on average we parked in the 4th row north and about in the 20th to 30th slot. Most rows north of us and to the west of us were vacant. I do agree this would be different if there is a huge convention at the resort. Where I disagree with you: It is my opinion that WDW makes these blanket rules so as to keep things simple for the guards. But, I think any logical person knows if it is busy or not. So, if you feel those guarding your property cannot make such a simple decision - how effective are they?

I think it is more that they make rules to make things consistent for all guests. We can't really cherry pick which rules to follow and which to ignore.

It isn't just during big conventions- all fall especially the lot is extremely crowded when we arrived for check in at the end of Sept(on a party night) there were only 2 spots in the lot and it was 3:30pm. I mentioned it at the desk and they were getting ready to call security about the cars parked in the lot that did not belong. While I was checking in another party pulled up and asked where they could park as there were no spots left in the lot. I know when I looked out about 30 minutes after the first set of fireworks there were tons of spots. My personal feeling is they should have towed a huge number of cars that afternoon- there were plenty that did not belong and actual resort guests could not park there. I know many people say well I made a dining reservation and just headed to the MK or people going to the TOTWL that evening park there earlier in the day but on crowded days I think they should be towed. Personally I wish that they would not allow anyone to park unless they were parking valet on any party days at the Contemporary even if they have a restaurant reservation. If they did this they could actually allow DVC members not staying at BLT to park there on other evenings and it wouldn't be a problem.

What night of the year were you there that they were running two fireworks shows? I've only seen that lot full when there is a convention at the CR, other than that, there are tons of spots. And when you say they were going to call security, how are they going to determine who to tow? :confused3

I was at one of the parties at the end of September and they had one set of wishes at 9:30. I checked the times guide and they only have one set of fireworks at the MK nightly. I have never seen BLT/CR full unless there was a major convention there. The lot in front of BLT has always been at least 40 percent empty.

DH and I had a Wave ADR on October 7 and the Contemporary parking lot was very full! It was all we could do to find a space.

I was eating at Cali Grill on the 4th of October, not quite as bad, but hard to find a space. I had to give the name the reservation was under before I could get in.

Both of these were for ADR's around 5:30...I imagine it got worse later. The line to get into the parking lot extended for quite a bit.

What night of the year were you there that they were running two fireworks shows? I've only seen that lot full when there is a convention at the CR, other than that, there are tons of spots. And when you say they were going to call security, how are they going to determine who to tow? :confused3

I assume they start towing anyone without a BLT/Contemporary tag in their car. There might have only been 1 firework show I wasn't watching them or worried about it so I didn't car. They could certainly do what other places do and place a chalk mark on the back of all cars without a BLT/Contemporary tag and then start towing after a few hours. My point is they shouldn't have been letting non-resort guests in at all by the time the whole lot is full. I think the front desk was calling security to stop allowing any non-overnight guests from coming into the parking lot due to the lack of parking spaces. I believe the night in question was the last Tuesday night of Sept.

I assume they start towing anyone without a BLT/Contemporary tag in their car. There might have only been 1 firework show I wasn't watching them or worried about it so I didn't car. They could certainly do what other places do and place a chalk mark on the back of all cars without a BLT/Contemporary tag and then start towing after a few hours. My point is they shouldn't have been letting non-resort guests in at all by the time the whole lot is full. I think the front desk was calling security to stop allowing any non-overnight guests from coming into the parking lot due to the lack of parking spaces. I believe the night in question was the last Tuesday night of Sept.

Do you seriously believe, for one second, that WDW will start towing cars of guests who are or are not staying at a WDW property?

Scenario - I am staying at the Waldorf Astoria or new / future Four Seasons and take 11 Co-Workers and Clients to the California Grill. After a Bar Tab, Appetizers, Entree's and Desert I lay down $2000 - plus tax and tip. Note: Not a Pixie Dust scenario - my boss dropped $3500K one night there entertaining customers one evening - though we were staying at the Marriott.

I then go to the lot only to find our three cars have been towed.

My point is simple: This should not be controlled by a rule - it should be controlled by the hotel management, the security staff and their collective common sense.

If I go to see the Fireworks and they say - "Sir, I am sorry we are extremely full tonight - I will allow you to drop your guests off and have you park in the MK Parking Area." I will abide! That is not to say I agree with it - and will let people in management know.

I know darn well I will get the "Well, sir, this is a policy......". I understand corporations need rules, but, when they begin to infringe on paying customers - they need questioned! If they do not have adequate parking - here is a suggestion: Spend $200K and build more! Looking at Google Maps there are what looks to be 300 spots for CM's. That lot could easily be made in to Overflow parking with a new lot built for CM's to the east.

I may have come across as a rude snob who lives to break rules as they never apply to me. Nothing could be further from the fact. For 20 years I traveled 75% of the year - almost 220 days each year. Not to Milwaukee or Oshkosh - to Beijing, Rabat, Sao Paolo, London and Hong Kong. 95% of these properties - regardless of the rating - look to honor the guest and their requests.

I routinely stayed at a family owned hotel in Taiwan and continue to get Birthday and Christmas cards each year thanking me for my business. That is only one of a few dozen Christmas cards I get thanking me for my patronage. When was the last time WDW every said: Thanks - we understand you could go to Universal or any of the other 3000 properties in Orlando - thanks for investing in us?

I think people on these boards are too supportive of WDW despite spending a large portion or their entire vacation budget on the product.

Originally, the TOW was for BLT members staying only! I would never challenge that rule! Now, they have opened it up to others - why? Because they were not getting enough customers - it was not out of the good of their heart! They decided - we need more cash - we need more paying customers.

As a customer I will never be a loud angry snob, but, I do have a right to question, discuss and sometimes challenge policy's that I think do not benefit me! I think it is important to do this. While I pick and choose my battle lines carefully - you owe it to the merchant to point out these areas of concern. And, I do it in a simple, not threatening way. If they do not react - they may eventually be out of business.

If I was Iger - and learned we are turning away people with Green Cash in their pocket - or worse yet - Towing people: I would fire about a dozen folks - then ask questions.

I am sorry - I realize many do not agree with me (none so far on this post if I read it right). Let's just say I agree to disagree.

I am sorry - I know many do not agree with me (none so far on this post if I read it right). Let's just say I agree to disagree.

The only part I disagree with is that there is nothing about going to TOTWL that requires you to drive and park there. DVC has asked that we don't. That's simple enough for me.

while in principle , i can see your point based on being
common sense. however, your rationalization is off track.
it does matter how much green you are spending else-
where on property , you still did not pay a single penny
to park @ the resort.

it's wdw & it is evident over & over how guests given an
inch , takes a mile.

don't know about towing but i saw cars there with boots.
and this is our home resort...dang will i , anymore accept
others parking in front our resort while i have to park
in the "boonies". i will do my own lil'-problem solving.

this isn't walmart. now if someone sneaks in & park way
in the back, not intruding on the other guests than i
don't think most would mind. but if your staying there,
and can't find a place to park....then i expect disney
to do corrective actions.

so it's a half & half situation but do you seriously believe
that disney has learn that too many guests are more
like intruders? like the new handicap rules...fast passes,
pool hopping & so & on, on...like the person doing
free laundry. the real issue comes when other guests
paying for something that someone thinks nothing
about stealing.

gotta say, i agree with k~disney, :thumbsup2

...if you decide to stay off site, then that is your choice.
what the difference between super 8 guests vs waldorf-
i only care when you take away where i should be
parking.

About a year ago during our last stay there, security was checking the parked cars in the lot in front of BLT. I was concerned because we don't leave our parking pass visible with our name showing. I don't know what they were doing with the info and I didn't see any boots.

I can see them using RFID passes in the future, matching the car to the guest file. As attendance increases at WDW, my guess is that we will see more effort on Disney's part to control people and cars.

:earsboy: Bill

BLT do tow cars. They have a 3 hour policy for visitors which is not always enforced but if the lot is full and people have overstayed the three hours they have been known to tow. Not often but it does happen. That's why security monitor the license plate of non overnight guests so they know how long they have been parked.

while in principle , i can see your point based on being common sense. however, your rationalization is off track.
it does matter how much green you are spending else-
where on property , you still did not pay a single penny
to park @ the resort.

You missed earlier posts - our group most likely spent about $600 at Contemporary while going to watch the fireworks.

it's wdw & it is evident over & over how guests given an inch , takes a mile.

Point well taken.

Don't know about towing but i saw cars there with boots.
and this is our home resort...dang will i , anymore accept

this isn't walmart. now if someone sneaks in & park way
in the back, not intruding on the other guests than i
don't think most would mind. but if your staying there,
and can't find a place to park....then i expect disney
to do corrective actions.

And, I 100% support you and any guest staying on-site at BLT. You do come first and I am a distant 2nd. Believe me when I tell you we took the furthest slots available and never encroached at searching down by the entrance. We had a lengthy walk - did not bother me.

Easily remedied:

Idea 1: Cordon off a large part of the lot for DVC staying members and those with Dining Ressies. You can only get in to that reserved area with a room card, magic band or parking slip given to you by the guards. This is not the exception but the rule all throughout Europe - even at hotels which charge 49 Euros a night - the technology and equipment is very, very inexpensive. If a small Best Western in a flea-bag town in Hamburg can afford it, why cant WDW?

Idea 2: BLT management, who has at their fingertips occupancy stats, make a judgement call each day and instruct the Guards on what the "Policy of the Day" should be.

so it's a half & half situation but do you seriously believe that disney has learn that too many guests are more
like intruders? like the new handicap rules...fast passes,
pool hopping & so & on, on...like the person doing
free laundry. the real issue comes when other guests
paying for something that someone thinks nothing
about stealing.

I understand your point - I think. The question is: "There are so many dishonest people in the world that WDW is now maybe clamping down on the potential offenders?."

WDW has difficult priorities to juggle: 1) Protect the Membership and guests at Contemporary. 2) Protect guests who are going to the Contemporary to eat, shop, spend money. 3) Protect guests who may want to buy-in at BLT and just want to take a look around. 4) Ward off the "evil-doers" that would use the property as free-parking for the MK.

Clamping down has a cost though. If you clamp down on 2 and 3 it may cost you potential revenue. They are paying customers or potential customers, and, no logical Business owner would / should try and offend these groups.

Let me finish by saying 3 things:

1) I had absolutely NO knowledge of this rule until this thread started. I remembered the TOW Fireworks when a OKW CM Mentioned to me, and, there was no: "And, remember, there is no Parking - take the Bus!". When I arrived, I showed my Room Card, DVC Membership and Drivers License. Did this 3 nights in a row. My intentions where clearly stated to the Guards on duty.

2) While I know now the rules and acknowledge them, and will abide by them, I think they are silly. Sillier yet is what they are doing on the Handicapped Fast Pass. In my opinion you just created a rule which correct the behavior the 2% scum-bag population and alienated 98% honest handicapped folks. Many of which can no longer enjoy the parks anymore.

I believe there response to the problem lacked a certain amount of creativity and finesse.

Perhaps a better solution: These idiots were advertising on Craigslist and other sites. Why not have CM's pose as a potential client and root these people out? A LA news team did just that and caught 2 or 3 of them.

Disney knows when these people are coming in to the park. If they are coming in 5 days a week with 5 different families with them - maybe they are abusing the rules?

3) If you are mad at non-residents parking too close to the resort, I think your complaint is with BLT / WDW management.

dang will i , anymore accept

You didnt buy a parking lot, you bought a time share that shares a parking lot with another WDW resort. That resort has 4 restaurants that people who are non-DVC frequent. One person controls who may or may not park in that lot, and that is the secuirty host on duty. If he/she determines that there is room for a guest to park, than so be it. Out of curiosity, what is your version of "problem solving"?

I don't understand what is so difficult with abiding by the rules DVC set up for visitors to the TOTWL who are not staying at BLT. Take up the issue with DVC, not the DIS. Take the issue up with DVC, not the guard at the parking lot entrance. It really doesn't matter what your opinion of the rule is until you take it up with DVC.

That's why Disney had to go to chipped mugs. That's why Disney had to go with the new GAC system. That's why Swan and Dolphin now charge to park. Because guest decide which rules they will follow and which they won't.

What's the problem of people NOT driving there? Everyone who uses TOTWL has to be staying on site and the bus service to MK is so convenient.
We opted to get there by taking the bus from BWV to the MK. The MK bus parking area is pretty close to BLT, a 10-minute walk at most. When you get off the bus you have to walk towards the MK initially until you get to the point where you can access the walkway to BLT.

We had a rental car this trip but still opted to take WDW transportation so that DH could enjoy a drink in the lounge and not have to worry about driving back to BWV afterwards.
Same as us except we were travelling from BCV.

Question...with MagicBands, do you still get a room key? If so, I will definitely have to remember to bring it with me.
I brought both my DVC card and room keys but the CM at the desk didn't want to see either and just scanned my MB telling me that yes, it confirmed who I was, that I was a DVC member and where I was staying - so if you have a MB it looks like that's all you will need:goodvibes

I don't understand what is so difficult with abiding by the rules DVC set up for visitors to the TOTWL who are not staying at BLT. Take up the issue with DVC, not the DIS. Take the issue up with DVC, not the guard at the parking lot entrance. It really doesn't matter what your opinion of the rule is until you take it up with DVC.

That's why Disney had to go to chipped mugs. That's why Disney had to go with the new GAC system. That's why Swan and Dolphin now charge to park. Because guest decide which rules they will follow and which they won't.

Deb/Bill - I guess I started this rant. As I stated - I had zero clue of this rule.

And, if you read my 1st post I said:

Not sure who said you cannot park there - we flashed our room key - explained we are going up for desert and drinks at the TOW and we are DVC members. No issue's let us park there 3 nights in a row! Maybe at very busy times - you may have an issue. But, if you are planning to spend money and they have open slots.​

I do think it is a silly rule. And, am not asking the DIS-Board members to provide a remedy.

Remedies for extremely simple issues should be provided by a company that:

• Gave the CEO a $40 Million pay pacakge in 2012 - but - unwilling to spend 200K on more parking.
  • Make huge profits on the back of Minimum Wage workers who are not given the opportunity to think for themselves.
  • Encourage DVC members to come and spend money at TOTW, but, encourage you to do it on their terms.

Feel free to lobby to boot me from the Dis-Boards! Many disagree with me on this and many other topics. But, am always true to myself and have no problem defending a position.

I am a customer, and, while I support 90% of what WDW provides, am willing to be a squeaky wheel on that 10%. I think this is a great place to honestly discuss things!

If you disagree - then PM me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter