Top 10 things to bring for your stateroom

These are all great tips a lot of them for families more than a husband and wife but I'll remember them for the future. I am happy to be the next generation. =)

We found that with just two adults in the room that we didn't need a lot of the things suggested on the list though I certainly and carefully considered all the suggestions. We had plenty of storage room, including shelf space in the bathroom.

The only things we took were a lighted alarm clock, clothespins for hanging up our swimsuits, highlighters for the Navigators (though, since we went most places together we usually only used one color), and a power strip. Made for a lot less to pack.

I always take a night light and small flashlight when I travel, but we ended up using the llight from the waves phones as a nightlight.

1. I use a combo night-light, extra outlet and air freshener (plug in) all in one. It is made by Glade I think. Saves on room...

2. I also have to pack my LL Bean travel organizer. We use it for all paperwork insurance cards, AAA cards, phone numbers etc... and just tuck it into the safe. And this is where I store our travel flash drive with our tickets, ID's, CC's and info scanned.

3. Over the door...must have!

4. Magnetic clips go on our door. We clip notes, Navigators, tickets for events, like Tea with Alice. They work great.

5. Pop up laundry hamper and a laundry kit. Tide, Purex sheets, Downey wrinkle release, Shout stick and wipes and Downey sheets. All fits in a 2 gallon ziploc bag.

6. Med kit stored in clear cosmetic case which I found at Walmart: OTC meds, Rx's, mini first aid, and mini Swiss Army knife. We've used this each and every trip.

7. Mini Mag flashlight (stored in the above kit). My SIL and BIL were on the Carnival Splendor that caught fire. They used their flashlight everyday. We used it on our last trip to look into our daughter's sore throat.

8. Movie Candy. I make up bags with mini boxes of candy favorites, with a cute tag: Mickey's Movie Munchies! Nothing beats fries and a Mickey bar in the theatre though.

9. Jansport black mini backpack and regular size backpack for excursions. I hold the mini and DH holds the other.

Hope this helps!:surfweb:

We tend to be the 'bare necessities' type of people..here are ours

1. Hair blow dryer

2. Highlighters (so each kid can highlight navigator- we can figure out where they are..but the wave phones help a lot with that and we can figure out what we want to do as a family that day)

3. Pillowcases or frame for characters to sign...this is always a treat..don't forget the permanent markers or paint pens to let them sign with, I put them in a huge 2 gallon ziplock bag with our name on it.

4. chargers for phones/camera

5. dollar bills for tips for room service

6. pins for trading..haven't done this yet, but when we got back from this year's cruise we bought a bunch on ebay and plan to trade next cruise! :)

7. laundry bag to carry dirty laundry to the laundry room/laundry soap

8. magnetic memo board for the front door or bathroom door...just so we write notes to let each other know change of plans or such...also for fun little "encouragment" notes

9. stamps to mail post cards back to family/friends...address labels as well

10. Journals for all the kids to write in...they've had the same one for 7 years that they have taken on all family vacations..they only write in it while on vacation..they love looking back and seeing the memories! :)

HTH!
Tara

I think I remember reading somewhere that the over-the-door plastic hangers don't fit on the Dream doors. :scared1: Can anyone back me up on that? I'm sure that every plastic hanger has different size hooks so it could just be that some of the metal hangers are skinnier than others. Although there's only 4 of us, we need to have this up. Both girls use different products in their hair and every little thing you take adds up!

Dream vs. Magic/Wonder......what's the counter space like?

Also, we take a pop-up hamper but when we head to the laundry room, we put it in our empty luggage (don't keep it in our luggage cuz' it would stink!) to roll it. We definitely outgrow the laundry hamper after a few days!

Several folks have mentioned a laundry bag, but here's a tip...

There will be a cloth laundry DCL bag in your stateroom to use on board. There is a note which states if you would like to take it home, $5 will be added to your bill. I questioned when DH wanted to take it home last time, but it was the best $5 we ever spent. It is very sturdy and we have used it on every trip since. It now just stays in our suitcase.

Several folks have mentioned a laundry bag, but here's a tip...

There will be a cloth laundry DCL bag in your stateroom to use on board. There is a note which states if you would like to take it home, $5 will be added to your bill. I questioned when DH wanted to take it home last time, but it was the best $5 we ever spent. It is very sturdy and we have used it on every trip since. It now just stays in our suitcase.

Do they have these cloth laundry bags on the Dream? That would be a great idea. I'd spend the $5 to have it waiting for us and ready to fill to take home!

Thanks for all the great tips. I just got an over the door clear shoe organizer today to pack for the cruise. What a great idea, and takes up no space! Thanks so much!

Do they have these cloth laundry bags on the Dream? That would be a great idea. I'd spend the $5 to have it waiting for us and ready to fill to take home!

I'll be able to tell you in a couple weeks. ;)

I have read 100's of postings on this topic before our first DCL Dream cruise last month...after reading everyones advice here is what we took and were glad we did.

Before I start...when you get on the ship put all your clothes in the closet and other drawers in the room. As you wear things put them in your suitcase...saves time when you are rushing around trying to get your bags out by 10:30pm on the last night. Also don't forget to put your bags under the bed for storage.

1. Over the door shoe cady to hold everything from wifes stuff, shoes, lanyards, and everything else small you need to find a place for. This was the #1 that both the wife and I agreed afterward we were happy we brought it. Ours was a cheap cloth one with thin metal hooks. We hung it on the back of the shower door facing the room.

2. Small Power Strip. We used this for charging iphone, ipad2, itouch and DS's. Not so much for the cruise but the trip home. Also my wife enjoyed plugging in both her blow dryer and hair straightner. There was only one easily assesible 110v outlet above the desk. Also for you tech geeks out here you can bring a HDMI cable and plug in the back of the tv in the room. At night if there were no movies playing for the kids...I would just plug in my ipad2 w/HDMI connector and play movies. Just be sure you disconnect when you leave the room.

3. Reusuable water/juice bottle with a wide mouth. The cups at the soda bars are small but you can refill your own container...just have to use the paper cup to do it.

4. Pre-Order a case of water to the room. The 3 of us went through the case of 24 in the 4 day cruise. A lot of people do not find the fridge in their room...it is under the desk in the cabinet.

5. XXXLarge Zip Lock...they are perfect for holding wet clothes for the trip home. The come in a large rectangular box with 4 of them in it. We used one for wet stuff and another for liquids we brought home "rum".

6. Underwater camera...bought a cheep $100 under water camera...took awesome photos while snorkling at CC and scuba in Bahamas.

7. Second seating was perfect for us...we would go to the show first have a drink and some popcorn...relax during the show. Then head down to dinner. Then the kids club come around at 9pm to collect the kids and she was excited to go.

8. I should probably move this one up on the list...VERY IMPORTANT...especially if you are driving to the ship with your own or rental car. BRING $1 bills and roll of quarters. We drove from the airport to the terminal and then after the cruise to WDW plus the airport. We used all of our quarters on the toll roads. They are adding a toll both on the way out to the terminal. Most of the toll booths are unmanned...meaning you have to have exact change. A couple had dollar bill changers but that was only 2 of the many we hit.

9. Pre-pay tips...you do it on the cruise ship...they will explain but it makes things a lot easier. If you want to give them a little extra cash that is OK but if you pre-pay they give you a small slip of paper to put in the envelope. Then you can hand that to them. It takes some of the pressure off if you give them the tip and they run in the back to see how much you gave them.

10. Explore the ship, take lots of pictures, enjoy your self and remember you don't have to see everything the first time. Thats why you plan the next cruise before you get off the ship. Also we rented a cabana on CC...with the ship sold out it was well worth it. Public beach was packed...Cabana beach was awesome. Of if your little ones have soft or sensitive feet I would recommend water shoes...CC beach has areas with a lot of small rocks.

If I could add one more item...dont forget to bring something to the CS desk to have the characters sign so your little ones will remember the cruise for a life time...we bought a 9" white ViynlMation at DL and brought it with us. You can also get them online at Disney.com...pictures below...Don't forget to include a bag of candy for the characters as a Thank You!!!

5714606045_f004ca9f88_m.jpg

5714606089_c7f0bcda7c_m.jpg

5714606075_3997181792_m.jpg

5715168928_64909b7c24_m.jpg

If I could add one more item...dont forget to bring something to the CS desk to have the characters sign so your little ones will remember the cruise for a life time...we bought a 9" white ViynlMation at DL and brought it with us. You can also get them online at Disney.com...pictures below...Don't forget to include a bag of candy for the characters as a Thank You!!!

5714606045_f004ca9f88_m.jpg

5714606089_c7f0bcda7c_m.jpg

5714606075_3997181792_m.jpg

5715168928_64909b7c24_m.jpg

Awesome idea.

LOVE the vinalmation doll!
do they have other colors?

Yes...I have seen white, black, yellow, green, blue, pink and red.

On the cruise they did sell the yellow one.

Plus there is a commemorative Black one for the 2011 Dream inaugural season.

great. thanks so much. i think that is such a nice way to have autographs and a unique keepsake from the trip, my kids will love them, thanks for posting!!
annanbug

Bump...........10 things might have changed from when this started....example...you no longer need quarters for the washing machines. Something's have been added or taken out. So add your favorite 10 things to bring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter