Tipping while on the dining plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg lady get a grip...:rotfl2: you are getting nuts about this topic

You're the one who started the topic knowing full well that your opinion would be inflammatory. Most of the internet calls that "trolling" - I just think you're wrong. And cheap.

Wether or not I agree with the tipping system in the US is really irrelevant since it isn't likely to be changed anytime soon. I always tip 20% unless terrible service in which case I typically alert management. In Disney I have always felt the waiters and waitresses do a wonderful job and don't deserve the shaft of a shorted tip. You could always eat CS/QS to avoid tipping.
I would like to thank you for posting of your opinion in an adult manner even if we disagree.

Some people agree with you. They're wrong and so are you. If you get truly bad service, complain to a manager.

LOL- how are they wrong??? how is the thread starter wrong????

the only way they are "wrong" is if tipping is not only required but a certain % of the bill is also mandatory as a tip....when Disney gives you the bill to sign, as WDW as well as on DCL, they offer you suggested percentages to leave as a tip...you can take their suggestions or leave a greater tip or a lesser tip...

You're the one who started the topic knowing full well that your opinion would be inflammatory. Most of the internet calls that "trolling" - I just think you're wrong. And cheap.
i expected people to agree and mostly disagree on this topic but we are all adults i think we can disagree on a topic without insulting each other.

i expected people to agree and mostly disagree on this topic but we are all adults i think we can disagree on a topic without insulting each other.

I'm sorry if you think being called wrong and cheap is an insult. Maybe if that's your perception you shouldn't be so cheap. :)

And to the other poster who quoted me - she's wrong because the tipping system has always been based on the cost of the meal whether or not cheap people like it that way.

LOL- how are they wrong??? how is the thread starter wrong????

the only way they are "wrong" is if tipping is not only required but a certain % of the bill is also mandatory as a tip....when Disney gives you the bill to sign, as WDW as well as on DCL, they offer you suggested percentages to leave as a tip...you can take their suggestions or leave a greater tip or a lesser tip...
;)

In UK we tip whatever amount we feel the service was worth, there is no fixed cost at all.

A percentage of the bill is a ridiculous way of doing it.

Its just a product of the tipping culture in USA. They just wanna tip everyone for simply doing their job

um- there's no fixed amount of tipping in the US....we tip what we want in this nation as well- the % is just a suggested amount....guess we're not the only one's who are ridiculous....

um- there's no fixed amount of tipping in the US....we tip what we want to as well in this nation- the % is just a suggested amount....guess we're not the only one's who are ridiculous....

Someone else who's cheap and likes screwing over hard working people, I see.

I'm sorry if you think being called wrong and cheap is an insult. Maybe if that's your perception you shouldn't be so cheap. :)

And to the other poster who quoted me - she's wrong because the tipping system has always been based on the cost of the meal whether or not cheap people like it that way.
You calling me wrong is not an insult but calling me cheap is its like me calling u fat i don't know you so how can i make that assumption.

Seriously, folks, tip or eat fast food. It makes me LOL to read train wrecks like this thread. It's an accepted standard in the US to tip between 15 and 20 percent of the cost of your meal unless the service was legitimately not up to par, in which case you should also complain to management.

It's not hard and adults all over the country do it every day without crying about it online. If you whine about it, you're CHEAP.

And for the record, I'd rather be fat than cheap. At least me being fat doesn't screw other people over. Now, I must depart, as my long bus ride is over and I have things to do that aren't an asinine waste of time.

No. Nobody agrees with you. You are wrong. You know how the tipping goes in this country and if you can't or won't tip accordingly you need to stick to fast food and take out. I would hate to be your server.

actually I agree with the thread starter so please, educate me how tipping works in this country????

is it mandatory to tip a specific amount to every server in every circumstance??? if i am at a buffet and get my own food while the server brings me only drinks am i obliged to tip as much as waiter/waitress who serves me a three course meal????

if a server offers terrible service am i obliged to tip them as much as another who may go above and beyond???

Something that has not been brought up in this wonderful discussion so far is the fact that at some restaurants servers HAVE to "tip out" other positions based on the amount of their sales at the end of the shift. For example the bussers and the bartenders. If you have never worked in a restaurant you probably would not know this. So lets say the total for your meal was $100 and your server has to tip out the bartender and busser 1% of your total....$2 not much but that comes out of the server's own tips so if you do not tip at all your server just had to pay $2 to serve you...the higher your ticket total the more out of pocket your server is. Where I live servers get paid $2.13 an hour. So if I had to wait on you at that hourly rate and then pay an addition $2 of my own money to serve you that would not be comforting at all IMO.

um- there's no fixed amount of tipping in the US....we tip what we want in this nation as well- the % is just a suggested amount....guess we're not the only one's who are ridiculous....

I have 5 kids so there are 7 of us in my party. At WDW this means I am automatically charged 18% even though 2 of my kids are under 3 and so require zero service from the waiter

No. Nobody agrees with you. You are wrong. You know how the tipping goes in this country and if you can't or won't tip accordingly you need to stick to fast food and take out. I would hate to be your server.

I agree.

I also think those people should tell their servers ahead of time they are going to stiff them.... If they don't think they are doing anything wrong then be up front about it.

It's only"fair".

Someone else who's cheap and likes screwing over hard working people, I see.

LOL- yup; and you just have all the answers for everything, don't you?

its actually called using your head and common sense...if someone offers you crappy service they should not receive the same % tip as someone who goes above and beyond....most reasonable people with working brain cells understand this....

I agree.

I also think those people should tell their servers ahead of time they are going to stiff them.... If they don't think they are doing anything wrong then be up front about it.

It's only"fair".

um- i don't think anyone is alleging you should purposely stiff any waiter/waitress rather the tip you leave should be based on the service you receive; but hey- that's just my take on it....

and while i agree with you that perpetually cheap people should be up front and tell the servers ahead of time, people should also be told ahead of time "we're putting you on table #6, but beware, the server there is crappy" so they have a chance to request a different spot...

I have 5 kids so there are 7 of us in my party. At WDW this means I am automatically charged 18% even though 2 of my kids are under 3 and so require zero service from the waiter

while i can't and won't speak for you or your family (unlike other posters in this thread who seem to know it all and make assumptions about others based on posts) often times little kids require more service from waiters/waitresses due to spills, generally messiness, etc (i was also a waiter out of college)...

also- while they automatically charge you 18% due to the size of your group i can only speculate that if you received really bad service and complained "my food was late, cold and three of us had the wrong order which took another 30 minutes to fix- i only want to leave 10%), WDW would have no issue with it...

Being a server I will tell you I have seen it numerous times, once out of the serving profession some servers revert back to being horrible tippers...Good service equals 15-20 percent of your bill..If you really were a server in the past you know this I dont understand why you needed to post:confused3

Being a server I will tell you I have seen it numerous times, once out of the serving profession some servers revert back to being horrible tippers...Good service equals 15-20 percent of your bill..If you really were a server in the past you know this I dont understand why you needed to post:confused3

the thread author specifically mentioned "crappy" service....don't know that anyone, even those of us who have been told we're wrong and cheap, disagree with you that good service should be at the 20% level- but what about crappy service???

from what I read she states she does not feel she should have to tip on the amount of the bill, she stated it doesnt matter if you are serving a ten dollar burger or a hundred dollar shrimp sandwich you should not have to tip on the amount..Server has to pay taxes on the amount of the bill, so yes it does matter how much you tip..If you get bad service then leave less or in my eyes leave a penny, if you leave a penny the server knows they thought your service was bad..if you just leave abuck or two they think you are just cheap..Now me, its takes a horrible horrible server for me to leave less then twenty percent, but then again I am a server..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter