Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

Just got in from 8kms in about 45 mins. I have no idea how to figure out the pacing on that. Anyone got any ideas?

That's 8km x .621 = 5 miles

5 miles in 45 min gives you 9 minute miles or 6.7 miles an hour.

Pretty good 10k pace!

That would give you a 56 minute 10k pace.

That's 8km x .621 = 5 miles

5 miles in 45 min gives you 9 minute miles or 6.7 miles an hour.

Pretty good 10k pace!

That would give you a 56 minute 10k pace.

Thank you so much! I was trying to wrap my brain around it and maybe I'm just oxygen deprived from the run but I couldn't get there. That pace sounds about right. When I was running hard before my 10km time was around 52 mins and I know I'm a lot slower right now. Hopefully I can get that up by my Oct 13 run that I'm going to use as my proof of time for Tink.

Ah Humility - thanks for visiting me today. :rolleyes2

My workout did not go as well as Tuesday's. I began my first jog interval and thought "Hey, let's pick up the pace a little..." I was jogging at a 12:22 pace which I felt comfortable with. Until the second interval. Which I could not finish because I ran myself out in the first interval. It probably didn't help that I didn't have a dinner last night so my body had very little fuel to burn. I still managed to get in 2.3 miles in 31.5 minutes (13:35/mile). I'll take it!

I've truly come to beleive that there are just good run days and bad run days. I push through the bad so I can enjoy the good! You did it and thats what matters!

We are doing the Tinkerbell 1/2 2013 in memory of our Daughter Lindsay who battled Leukemia and got her wings in Nov 2010.
We did Disney Princess 1/2 last Feb at WDW with Team In Training and it was
the most amazing experience. For anyone who hasn't experienced this, I highly recommend it.
I have bad knees, hips and feet, I'm 58 and my Husband 60... if we can finish, anyone can.

Join the group and Support those that are fighting for their Lives.
:hug:

We are doing the Tinkerbell 1/2 2013 in memory of our Daughter Lindsay who battled Leukemia and got her wings in Nov 2010.
We did Disney Princess 1/2 last Feb at WDW with Team In Training and it was
the most amazing experience. For anyone who hasn't experienced this, I highly recommend it.
I have bad knees, hips and feet, I'm 58 and my Husband 60... if we can finish, anyone can.

Join the group and Support those that are fighting for their Lives.
:hug:

Oh Bluedoggy - I wish your running in the Tink was to celebrate remission rather than your beautiful daughter's brave battle. There are far too many lives lost to cancer of any type. One of my closest friends has been witness to way too much in her 30 years; her cousin (close as sisters) died as a young teenager after catching a secondary infection after a bone marrow transplant to battle leukemia. Her father fought hard against ALS but lost his battle a few years ago. Last year her 9 month old daughter was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive cancer and recently finished her 45 week course of chemo and radiation. The good news is Lily is now in remission, but we all know that cancer is insidious and can come back. This woman is the strongest woman I know to have dealt with everything she has and stay standing.

Long story short - I admire those who can fight through the enormous weight of grief and move forward. Hugs to you and your husband. :hug:

It's official my DH thinks I'm crazy.:rotfl2:

I have been looking for (and finding) local races to run for training. An 8K in sept, and 10K's in oct and nov. He even agreed to sign up as a volunteer at one of the races.

But when I printed off copies of the tinkerbell t-shirt (from a previous post) and posted them in about 10 different places in the house to use as motivation all he could say was okaaaaay. :confused:

Good thing he is so supportive of me. :rotfl:

It's been a few weeks since I've posted here. Just a quick update along with everybody else....

I missed 3 days of running because I came down with an infection and needed antibiotics. Today, I ran/walked 2.09 miles and my average pace was 18 min/mile. Monday the 27th is the 9th (and last) week of the C25k program I'm doing, then the week after I start the Jeff Galloway Tinker Bell training program.

I'm still not able to run for the full 30 minutes like I'm supposed to. I have to stop and walk multiple times in between. I get really discouraged when I don't make any significant progress week after week, but my boyfriend keeps telling me that I'm being too hard on myself. He also noticed that my pace has increased and that's why I'm running out of breath faster and more often. I didn't notice the increase in pace; it just felt natural.

Well, less than 5 months to go! I just have to stay positive and stick with the training. I've been hearing that race day is often times easier than training. Crossing my fingers that it's true for me!

I don't think you should be sad that you walk in 30 min. Galloway encourages/mandates walking. Right now my daughter and me are doing 30 sec run/45 walk. Which is about 15 min pace. Like Galloway says I have noticed my pace goes up when don't try to run whole time.

Today was supposed to be 12 mile day (1st half in September) but started late so got too hot and we only did 9.5. But was good

Ran my second Magic Mile yesterday and finished in 12:22; shaved 2:07 off my first Magic Mile.

However, I didn't complete my interval training for this week satisfactorily, so I will be repeating it.

Looking into Sept 5ks and Oct 10ks. I can't believe how motivated I am!

Question about the Galloway method. When he says 45 run/15 walk, does he really mean seconds? If I'm accustomed to running 5 to 10 minutes at a time would that mean I should run for 10 minutes and then walk for 4 (assuming a 3:1 ratio)?

Keep up the good work, Jessica!

The 45/15 really is minutes. But it has more to do the resting and recovery while using other muscle groups. If you start to get muscle fatigue at 20 minutes and you need a 3:1 ratio to recover, then you should be doing something like 15/5. If you're at 10 minute runs, then consider going down to 6/2 for now.

Keep up the good work, Jessica!

The 45/15 really is minutes. But it has more to do the resting and recovery while using other muscle groups. If you start to get muscle fatigue at 20 minutes and you need a 3:1 ratio to recover, then you should be doing something like 15/5. If you're at 10 minute runs, then consider going down to 6/2 for now.

Thanks, Bonedoc. ;) That makes more sense. I just couldn't see how a run could be completed if the pacing is constantly shifting from jog to walk every 45 seconds!

The training plan I'm on now (5k101) has me at 12 min jog/3 min walk intervals (x2). I'm finding I can do the first jog interval no problem but apparently am not pacing myself correctly because I couldn't finish the second interval jog. So I'm repeating the week until I can get through it. I would really like to keep my current pace and just train until I can maintain it, and THEN increase my pace again.

This week I have to tackle the nutrition portion of the training plan. I'm 70 lbs overweight so I have plenty of fluff to lose. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a really good, really easy to follow beginner runner nutrition plan?

Ran my second Magic Mile yesterday and finished in 12:22; shaved 2:07 off my first Magic Mile.

However, I didn't complete my interval training for this week satisfactorily, so I will be repeating it.

Looking into Sept 5ks and Oct 10ks. I can't believe how motivated I am!

Question about the Galloway method. When he says 45 run/15 walk, does he really mean seconds? If I'm accustomed to running 5 to 10 minutes at a time would that mean I should run for 10 minutes and then walk for 4 (assuming a 3:1 ratio)?

Here is a quote from Jeff Galloways training.

Here are my recommended ratios of running and walking, based upon your pace per mile.
Remember that long runs should be run at least 2 min/mi slower than your projected finish pace in the marathon. An additional slowdown should be made for increased temperature: 30 sec per mile
slower for each 5 degrees of temperature increase above 60F. It is always safer to walk more often.

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
10 min/mi—-3:1
11 min/mi—2:30-1
12 min/mi—-2:1
13 min/mi—-1:1
14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

So yes he really does mean seconds. I am working up to the 2min run 1 min walk. Right now I am able to run 1 min walk 1:30. I still need the extra 30 sec to recover. 30/30 made me dissy.

Maybe try the 4min/1min and see if your pace is right and how your stamina is for the full 30 min?

Is there a thread about the Tinkerbell half from this year? I would like to read people's experiences and can't find anything. Or does anyone know of any tr about the Tinkerbell half?

Thanks

So yes he really does mean seconds. I am working up to the 2min run 1 min walk. Right now I am able to run 1 min walk 1:30. I still need the extra 30 sec to recover. 30/30 made me dissy

You are right about the seconds if you are at a 14+ min mile. This is all about endurance.

Jessica, if the cardio part is doing fine, then more often the problem can be quad muscle fatigue. Especially since you're knees have had trouble in the past.

In this case, working in some cross training with some exercise bike or quad exercises can dramatically reduce fatigue and give you huge yields compared to trying to push through with running.

Anyone know what time the kids dashes are on Saturday? I signed DD up but I dont think we'll be able to pull it off. She doesnt get out of school til 11:30 on friday so no way will we make it to the Expo on Friday. And if its like last year and doesn't open til 10 on saturday then theres no chance I'd be able to pick up her race packet. Bummer!

It's been a few weeks since I've posted here. Just a quick update along with everybody else....

I missed 3 days of running because I came down with an infection and needed antibiotics. Today, I ran/walked 2.09 miles and my average pace was 18 min/mile. Monday the 27th is the 9th (and last) week of the C25k program I'm doing, then the week after I start the Jeff Galloway Tinker Bell training program.

I'm still not able to run for the full 30 minutes like I'm supposed to. I have to stop and walk multiple times in between. I get really discouraged when I don't make any significant progress week after week, but my boyfriend keeps telling me that I'm being too hard on myself. He also noticed that my pace has increased and that's why I'm running out of breath faster and more often. I didn't notice the increase in pace; it just felt natural.

Well, less than 5 months to go! I just have to stay positive and stick with the training. I've been hearing that race day is often times easier than training. Crossing my fingers that it's true for me!

And it does get easier with time! I bet if you slowed your pace down you'd be able to run longer lengths of time.
I admit that when I run btwn 2.5-3 miles I do run the whole thing. But on my long runs I run intervals and I fully intend to run intervals on race day!

But when I printed off copies of the tinkerbell t-shirt (from a previous post) and posted them in about 10 different places in the house to use as motivation all he could say was okaaaaay. :confused:

Good thing he is so supportive of me. :rotfl:

I do the same thing!!:rotfl: If there is a race ad in Runner's World or postcards from the Disney race expos that I have coming up, I put them on closet door in my room as well as the course map, along w/ some running quotes that I like. That way I see it every morning and if I don't do something it's staring me in the face.

Is there a thread about the Tinkerbell half from this year? I would like to read people's experiences and can't find anything. Or does anyone know of any tr about the Tinkerbell half?

Don't know if there was a TR from last year, but here's a link from the WISH Thread for this past year's. Posts from the beginning of race week start on page 55 and I think the 1st post has some info as well.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2705389&highlight=tinker+bell+marathon

Anyone know what time the kids dashes are on Saturday? I signed DD up but I dont think we'll be able to pull it off. She doesnt get out of school til 11:30 on friday so no way will we make it to the Expo on Friday. And if its like last year and doesn't open til 10 on saturday then theres no chance I'd be able to pick up her race packet. Bummer!

I think 9am. If you want, I could pick up the kids packets for you and meet you either when you get in on Friday night or after the 5k on Saturday before the kids races. I'm doing that this Friday for someone who can't make the expo in time.

Jessica, if the cardio part is doing fine, then more often the problem can be quad muscle fatigue. Especially since you're knees have had trouble in the past.

In this case, working in some cross training with some exercise bike or quad exercises can dramatically reduce fatigue and give you huge yields compared to trying to push through with running.

Thanks again, Bonedoc. I had planned to start cross training (with an exercise bike as you suggested) but I haven't fit that into my plans yet. I'm finding it difficult to make myself get up an hour early on my off-training days, but its becoming clear I just have to do it.

Has anyone seen a picture of the Commemorative necklace? How do I get one of them if I've already registered?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter