Ticket Promo coming soon?

I think you're mistaken, on a number of points.
1. The promo has happened twice
2. I was not a PAP for the price of an AP. It was a discounted PAP, and still priced higher than the AP. Last year, there was a price increase during the promotional period, so the special PAP deal ended up $1 less than the discounted AP.
3. The first promo was under previous management, but the second was under current management.

I remember the $399 promo was cheaper than an AP. An AP was around $425 at the time. I got the promo PAP for that reason. I don't do water parks so I would not have bought a PAP otherwise.

I would have to see solid evidence. I don't think they "fired" someone for a promo that made them tons of money.
They did not "lose" money at all on this one.
Think about it...How many people would NOT have bought a PAP or AP if not for the promo?
How many times less would they have went to the parks?
How much less $$$ would they (and me) have spent in the parks if they were not going.
It would be faulty math to assume that all of us who took advantage of the promo would have purchased higher priced tickets or that we would have went and spent the money.
the ONLY fact is due to the promo, more people(of course not ALL) were in the parks spending money.

Although, one could argue that it is DISNEY and they can charge what they want because people will pay it...

The first 3 or 4 years the DVC was around passes were included for ALL guests at the DVC (Old Key West).
Look how much money they lost....er I mean kicked off a multi Billion dollar enterprise we know as the DVC:)

The first 3 or 4 years the DVC was around passes were included for ALL guests at the DVC (Old Key West).
Look how much money they lost....er I mean kicked off a multi Billion dollar enterprise we know as the DVC:)

that was marketing - when DVC was new - the management at Disney had no faith in the project. Short sided management (my opinion)

so to get guests to buy DVC they included free tickets 2 for a studio or 1-bedroom, 4 for a 2-bedroom and 6 for a 3- bedroom - it started out in 1991 with 1 for studio or 1-bedroom, 2 for a 2-bedroom and 3 for a 3-bedroom - but the members at the time say that was unfair. so disney changed it.

the deal was good until 12-31-1999 - at that time it expired - I brought in 1993 and it was on the DVD I received, as well as in the papers you had to sign.

now marketing has done something similar with SSR when it had problems being sold - but that was only for a few years then SSR caught on and it was not needed any more - think it was 2 annual passes????

the deal we got was wonderfully in - 2013 and 2014??? think it was predicted that WDW attendance would go down - so they gave us a deal.

this year attendance is up - mean May (off season) the crowds were bad. hey to see it this summer.

my solution moving to Florida - about an hour to hour and half away from WDW - closing June 1. So shortly can get the Florida resident pass - much cheaper than the DVC annual pass, and can go to WDW for a day trip!!!

that was marketing - when DVC was new - the management at Disney had no faith in the project. Short sided management (my opinion)

so to get guests to buy DVC they included free tickets 2 for a studio or 1-bedroom, 4 for a 2-bedroom and 6 for a 3- bedroom - it started out in 1991 with 1 for studio or 1-bedroom, 2 for a 2-bedroom and 3 for a 3-bedroom - but the members at the time say that was unfair. so disney changed it.

the deal was good until 12-31-1999 - at that time it expired - I brought in 1993 and it was on the DVD I received, as well as in the papers you had to sign.

now marketing has done something similar with SSR when it had problems being sold - but that was only for a few years then SSR caught on and it was not needed any more - think it was 2 annual passes????

the deal we got was wonderfully in - 2013 and 2014??? think it was predicted that WDW attendance would go down - so they gave us a deal.

this year attendance is up - mean May (off season) the crowds were bad. hey to see it this summer.

my solution moving to Florida - about an hour to hour and half away from WDW - closing June 1. So shortly can get the Florida resident pass - much cheaper than the DVC annual pass, and can go to WDW for a day trip!!!

Just curious what was the deal with SSR? I've never heard anyone mention one. I did hear someone say with purchase at AKL they got an
AP, but for as far as I know they might have had to buy 500 points to get them.

Just curious what was the deal with SSR? I've never heard anyone mention one. I did hear someone say with purchase at AKL they got an
AP, but for as far as I know they might have had to buy 500 points to get them.

We received 2 regular annual passes (130 point purchase)...and I beleive we also had the option of a European vacation...can't remember if it was through RCI or what. We opted for the passes, as we had no desire to go to Europe at that time. We also paid probably $95/point for SSR. I think it is the only resort that lost so much of its dollar value. But I can live with it, because we have used those points for good vacations.

Any discount that Disney gives us only a perceived discount/perk, it really is designed to make Disney more money. A PAP caused members to schedule additional vacation time and how many really used the premium part of the pass. Disney tracks these promotions and if they make enough money, you will see them again.

In addition, DVC doesn't have rights to anything. All discounts and deals have to be negotiated with other Disney departments who may or may not be receptive to their request.

:earsboy: Bill

The latest deal that has now been eliminated was the non-expiring tickets. Anything that comes out now is not a deal to me.

The latest deal that has now been eliminated was the non-expiring tickets. Anything that comes out now is not a deal to me.
Were those non-expiring tickets a DVC discount thing? I don't remember those.

I'll be getting park hoppers through AAA for some upcoming trips with family that don't have AP's. AAA has a pretty good discount....better than nothing and easy to do (you do need to be a member and go to one of their store fronts). So, I'll let everyone know when I purchase those, because the next day I am sure a park hopper deal will be announced.

They did not "lose" money at all on this one.
Think about it...How many people would NOT have bought a PAP or AP if not for the promo?

Of course, PAP sales would not have been as high without the promo as with the promo.

HOWEVER there were undoubtedly people who would have paid the higher rate for their PAPs. And there were people who would have paid for single-day tickets to the waterparks or DisneyQuest. There are people who would have otherwise paid for a round of golf, but were instead able to get their fix with some free swings at the Oak Trail course.

How many times less would they have went to the parks?
How much less $$$ would they (and me) have spent in the parks if they were not going.
It would be faulty math to assume that all of us who took advantage of the promo would have purchased higher priced tickets or that we would have went and spent the money.
the ONLY fact is due to the promo, more people(of course not ALL) were in the parks spending money.

If simply getting people into the parks spending money were the key to success, Disney would slash ticket prices across the board. Period. It wouldn't just be DVC passes for a limited time...EVERYONE would pay less.

But that's clearly not the case.

When Disney discounts the cost of an Annual Pass by $250-300 each, that's essentially lost profit. Park operating costs remain unchanged. And since every retail product they sell includes some amount of overhead (labor & materials), they need to sell a whole lot more than $250 worth of t-shirts and Turkey Legs to bridge that gap.

DVC has been known to subsidize park admission "discounts" under the premise that more trips = more add-on point sales. But again, the relative scarcity of these offers and dwindling nature of the everyday AP/PAP discount suggests that it's far from a sure thing.

Making a generous offer to a couple thousand early adopters is quite a bit different than $300 ticket discounts for 200,000 owners (and up to 8 of their family members.)

Well said ^^^^^^ tjkraz, and you brought up some points I had not thought of. $300 discount for 200,000 owners (although I am sure many owners did not take advantage because they don't travel to WDW as often, or stay as long, as people like myself). I'm sure we will never see a deal like the PAP one, but I am happy with the DVC discount we get for renewal; it works out for us. Although we will probably downgrade to AP....we are getting too old for the water parks and don't enjoy going to DTD for DisneyQuest.

I view it as all chance. We're new DVC members and bought an annual pass for a January 2014 trip and a November 2014 trip with the dvc discount. A week or so after our January trip, the annual pass discount rolled out. Talked about vexed! However, we got over it and enjoyed our trips. In fact, we threw in a August trip for giggles. Our food and alcohol from the unplanned August trip alone, let's me know that Disney is winning. After our November trip, I was Disney burned out. However, I've been checking availability and reading disboards. In short, we're getting our itch back. Like any good pusher, I'm certain Disney will offer a pass that will satisfy my itch. When they do, I'll be forced to begin my trip planning. It's all a game I'm happy to play. If you love Disney, there's no losers. I hope I didn't offend with the drug references. I'm just a Disney junkie. Peace and love.

Activated our APs last week...let the discounts commence.

still hoping for discounted tix in September again this year to use for guests.pixiedust:

Activated our APs last week...let the discounts commence.

still hoping for discounted tix in September again this year to use for guests.pixiedust:
Me too. My DD wants to go to WDW with some friends on her Golden Birthday next year. I can't afford to pay full price to their tickets. Last year's 4-day tickets would have been perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter