The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I can be a tad happy that our Jan 2010 trip has been postponed, huh? I think we are going Aug now. Ugh for the heat and the crowds but what can ya do. Gotta go when you can!

I honestly couldn't care less about the rides. (And yes, I do love rides!) Our favorite thing about Universal Studios is the theming. I can't wait to walk into the HP area and hear the music, see the buildings, etc. I remember my son saying at age 10- "I wish we could go see the castle!" He's 17 now and still excited about it.

We are so excited! Hoping to go December of 2010 (was gonna wait till 2011 but just couldn't). I think the atmosphere is really going to be what makes it so exciting!

I take it no one knows anything about the Forbidden Journey ride (new ride) other than it may be kind of like Spiderman, a high tech 3-D ride?

I am a little disappointed with the whole re-tool DD for Dragon Challenge and Flying Unicorn for Flight of the Hippogriff. I welcome the new island and I'll take what comes, but for me it would have been 1000 times better with 3 new rides or even just 2 totally new rides, and just leave the others as is. I've said this before, but re-tooling rides for HP is a little nickle and dime-ish :rolleyes1 and I thought if they were going to poor millions into a new island, ESPECIALLy doing a HP theme and considering its a billion dollar franchise and a huge phenomenon, that they would have truely gone all out, which in my book is all totally new rides and attractions. But oh well, I'll take it.

I have no problem with the refurbed rides. Dueling Dragons is perfect for the area and needed a little updating anyway. The hippogriff coaster (unicorn) is a really zippy coaster for little kids. Having that for the younger crowd is perfect.

A roller coaster is a roller coaster, the theming in this park is what will make it awesome. Triwizards competition is great theming for "competing" coasters. And don't we all love these coasters? If they had removed it and put up something new, would we have liked them better?

I am not a shopper. But the shops in this section are incredible. They are part of the books, and if they are done well, they will add to the experience of being at Hogwarts. I want to buy something a Zonks and I want to eat at the 3 broomsticks. You better believe I will be getting a wand at Olivanders. It sounds like that will be an experience in itself (rumors are that the wands will be interactive in the park). I will be having a butterbeer. I will be having a chocolate frog. I will be having every flavor beans. I will be taking my picture by the Hogwarts Express. And Hagrids Hut.

Thats without even getting near the new ride.

There are lots of dorks like me.:laughing:

I take it no one knows anything about the Forbidden Journey ride (new ride) other than it may be kind of like Spiderman, a high tech 3-D ride?

I am a little disappointed with the whole re-tool DD for Dragon Challenge and Flying Unicorn for Flight of the Hippogriff. I welcome the new island and I'll take what comes, but for me it would have been 1000 times better with 3 new rides or even just 2 totally new rides, and just leave the others as is. I've said this before, but re-tooling rides for HP is a little nickle and dime-ish :rolleyes1 and I thought if they were going to poor millions into a new island, ESPECIALLy doing a HP theme and considering its a billion dollar franchise and a huge phenomenon, that they would have truely gone all out, which in my book is all totally new rides and attractions. But oh well, I'll take it.

Well the RUMOR is that it will be a "robocoaster" type ride. Basically you're in a ride vehicle attached to a giant robotic arm that moves and swings you around. If you add some cool 3D, lighting, smoke effects, could be a fantastic attraction!

As for the re-theming, if you look at the amount of structure they're building, I think a decision has to be made about "theming vs more attractions" and I, for one, when dealing with Harry Potter, want perfect theming and some attractions....

Besides... if they added like 10 attractions, it would take too much away from the other islands in the park.

Well the RUMOR is that it will be a "robocoaster" type ride. Basically you're in a ride vehicle attached to a giant robotic arm that moves and swings you around. If you add some cool 3D, lighting, smoke effects, could be a fantastic attraction!

As for the re-theming, if you look at the amount of structure they're building, I think a decision has to be made about "theming vs more attractions" and I, for one, when dealing with Harry Potter, want perfect theming and some attractions....

Besides... if they added like 10 attractions, it would take too much away from the other islands in the park.

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean they should have added 10 new rides I agree that would be too much to ask. At this point there is no point in complaining, I will deal with what they've done and just hope that the main new ride is really awesome, I can deal with 1 new awesome ride.

I do agree the new large area of theming is important and cool. That is probably the main thing I like about IOA in any case is the terrific theming. A whole new HP land theme will be really cool.

It is already built. As you go up the stairs to ride DD you pass right by it. It was built last spirng I think.

6a00e54ee7b642883301127942333228a4-400wi

You can see a Flying Unicorn rail on the left bottom.

Thanks for the picture! So I wonder if we'll be able to tour the hut or just look at it?

Thanks for the picture! So I wonder if we'll be able to tour the hut or just look at it?

I am pretty sure they are just shells with an empty interior.

Apparently they have gone way over budget on this park within a park, spending an extra $100,000,000 more than the first budgets.

I'm excited for the potential of the "Forbidden Journey" ride but I really hope there is room to walk around Hogwarts. I'm 100 times more interested in the theming and "walk around" immersion of this area then the ride. And the way it sounds to me (just a hunch, of course) is that the only area you can explore in Hogwarts is what will likely be a hallway for a line, and then you exit via Filch's. From the Universal site

# Located in Hogwarts castle, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is a thrilling new state-of-the-art attraction that uses entirely new technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced.

# Before exiting back into Hogsmeade, Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods is full of Ministry of Magic and magical creatures merchandise, Omnioculars, and even remote control Golden Snitches

I'm not expecting a full castle to explore as that would just be insanely difficult (expensive and well, physics wise...good luck with the moving staircases!) but it would be nice to walk around areas like the common rooms, the great hall, etc, Snape's dungeon room, etc. I also wonder if people can go into Hagrid's Hut?

It looks like Hogsmeade is pretty awesome though, If I'm right about Hogwarts (...hoping I'm not) I think oogsmeade will probably be my favorite part to just hang around and take in the sights. And Butter beer :) I wonder if they actually are making their own "recipe" or just serving regular licensed root beer.

Before anyone moans at me, I do think this is great in general, and me and the kids are looking forward to visiting, but the announcement to me does make it sound a bit like - "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Shops"

Only three attractions mentioned (with two being refurbs of exisiting rides and the main one of those still shrouded in mystery) is a bit dissapointing to be honest, and all in all doesn't seem as exciting as Walt Disney's big announcement this past weekend.

In comparison, Walt Disney World plans are not disimilar - its 'new land' also includes a couple of refurbs, lots of shops/meet and great buildings, and only one brand new attraction - but their marketing team have made its sound way more exciting.

Come on Universal, where is all the showbiz, glitz and glamour within your annoucnemnt - you have made it all sound less exciting than you could have!!!

PLUS spring 2010 is 5 only months away and still no fixed opening date!!!

Those rooms might be in the ride. It would be logistically impossible to have everyone exploring Hogwarts. It is also rumoured that the queue for the Forbidden Journey will go through the rooms in Hogwarts. Similar to Expedition Everest.

Before anyone moans at me, I do think this is great in general, and me and the kids are looking forward to visiting, but the announcement to me does make it sound a bit like - "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Shops"

Only three attractions mentioned (with two being refurbs of exisiting rides and the main one of those still shrouded in mystery) is a bit dissapointing to be honest, and all in all doesn't seem as exciting as Walt Disney's big announcement this past weekend.

In comparison, Walt Disney World plans are not disimilar - its 'new land' also includes a couple of refurbs, lots of shops/meet and great buildings, and only one brand new attraction - but their marketing team have made its sound way more exciting.

Come on Universal, where is all the showbiz, glitz and glamour within your annoucnemnt - you have made it all sound less exciting than you could have!!!

PLUS spring 2010 is 5 only months away and still no fixed opening date!!!

Lol. I think the Forbidden Journey is going to blow Little Mermaid out of the water. No pun intended. It doesn't sound at all exciting to me.

This announcement was an update. The original announcement was filled with a lot more glamour and fanfare.

I wouldn't expect it to be open before the end of May, 8 months away.

I thought US made Harry Potter's announcement pretty exciting, you have to remember the big announcement was 2 years ago, this was an update like Damo said.

My family cannot wait to ride the refurb rides, the theming is what is important to us and we are totally satisfied with there only being one new ride. Especially since this ride is hyped as being new technology, we can't wait to see what that is. I'm also interested in the wand shop, where "the wand chooses you". Most of all we are looking forward to stepping into Harry Potter's world, I know it will be worth the hype, and the wait. :goodvibes

Lol. I think the Forbidden Journey is going to blow Little Mermaid out of the water. No pun intended. It doesn't sound at all exciting to me.

This announcement was an update. The original announcement was filled with a lot more glamour and fanfare.

I wouldn't expect it to be open before the end of May, 8 months away.

What was Disney's big announcement this weekend??? We were actually driving home from Disney this weekend and didn't hear anything???

What was Disney's big announcement this weekend??? We were actually driving home from Disney this weekend and didn't hear anything???

Something about a Little Mermaid ride and updating Fantasyland. I think it is the same Little Mermaid ride that they are putting into California Adventure.

Something about a Little Mermaid ride and updating Fantasyland. I think it is the same Little Mermaid ride that they are putting into California Adventure.

Cool!! Now we have something to look forward to in both worlds...Disney World and Harry Potter World!!!

Although I'd like 3 brand new rides, if the choice is between:

a. 2 refurbished rides and 1 awesome new 'WOW' ride, or
b. 3 new 'Meh' rides,

I'll take "a"! Hopefully, Forbidden Journey will live up to the hype! I'm really looking forward to riding it!

I also think that the atmosphere and theming of this land is going to be top notch!

If you are having a hard time watching the vids from the site, I have them uploaded to youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtRvsUlSkZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRUjVUM91c

Thank you so much for the links to youtube -- I was there looking for just this and couldn't find it!

Do you think I am right in assuming that the new ride will be one of those fast rides that some of us can't tolerate? We have motion-sickness, vision issues, and migraines in our family and I'm wondering if it will be worth it for us to go there if we can't ride on the rides...:confused3 I'd almost do it just for the village, but it's a lot of $$$ just for the shops and dining if we have no plans or tickets for universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter