The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Vickie- I don't blame you! Feel better soon!

"NAN's Mountainside Reserve":confused3

Vickie, please feel better. Worried about you. The ADRs worked out, so don't worry about that.
Would you like to have breakfast Saturday morning with Lauren, Charlene & I?

Aimee - The chicken reuben was one of the first recipes I posted here, way back when, here's a link: (I use fat free dressing and low fat cheese to make it lower in fat and calories)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Chicken-Reuben/Detail.aspx

Oooh, yum - thanks!

Well I am home again and this time I have no plans to leave anytime soon. We had a great couple of days at camp. Ethan had a ball and so did I. It was so much fun seeing all of this through his 5 year old eyes. So cute!

I'm glad you're back! :yay:

Here's the Kahlua Cake recipe.

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 C. sour cream
1/2 C oil
4 large eggs
1/2 C coffee
1 4oz package chocolate pudding
1/4 C Kahlua
1 12oz package chocolate chips

Combine cake mix with all but the chips. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in chips. Turn into a greased and floured 10" bundt pan and bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Glaze:

1/2 C butter
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C Kahlua
1/4 C coffee

In a medium saucepan, over med-low heat, stir all ingredients together until melted and smooth. While cake is still warm, and in the pan, pour 2/3 of of the glaze over cake. (I ended up poking holes in the cake so it would absorb faster) Cool and invert onto cale plate. Pour remaining (re-warmed) glaze over teh top of the cake.

Oh, be still my heart. I don't bake but this seems easy. I don't own a bundt pan (remember - I don't bake) so do you think it could be made in another pan? Or should I just pick up a cheapo one?

My throat is doing better & I'm able to eat pretty much anything now. Although I had a popcorn craving last night & that wasn't fun.

I've got to get off now, my hand is numb from typing.

I do want to thank all of you again, for all the love, prayers & good thoughts. I truly believe that it's the reason I am doing so well! :grouphug:

I'm so glad you're eating and improving each day! I, too, gave into a popcorn craving last night and paid the price :scared: What were we thinking?! :sad2:

Are you better now? I cringed when you described that cyst. It had to hurt!

Thanks to the Levaquin, the cyst seems healed up and no longer painful. I am still having Crohns issues, which seem to be increasing, but my scope is a week from tomorrow so we'll know more about what is going on then. I can tell you that anything tight around my belly button literally hurts thanks to the inflammed terminal ileum in that area so something is going on.

Hey...

Ann - sendin good vibes ower the water for SIL.

Ive had " stuff " going on here.

Head aches have been a nightmare.

Ive had some issues with my eyes too so I had them checked but all is good.

I spoke to the Doc and she thinks its more likely my meds causing it.

This is a bummer because they are workin well on my original problem.

She thinks i should change but the stuff she suggested has possible side affects too........

Severe mood swings and ADULT ACNE !! :eek:

Im sorry but I'll stick to poppin the tylenol....Im just startin to " except " my

crows feet, aint no way Im addin ZITS !! :laughing:

Hope youse are all good, sendin love ower the water to all the lassies who need it.

Vicks xx

Aw, I'm so sorry you've been having issues! I don't blame you on the acne at all!

Aimee- I'm sure you could use another pan, not sure which would work best though. I was thinking about using a loaf pan next time but don't know if I will need to use one or two. Or just use a 9x13 and don't take it out of the pan, just treat it like a poke cake. :thumbsup2

Ann, I hope they get some answers tomorrow! Praying that she gets some relief very soon. :flower3:

Aimee, Let's stay away from the popcorn for awhile my friend! ;) Praying that your drs get this figured out & you feeling better.:hug:

Vicki, I'm sorry that you're not feeling well! I hope you find something that works & does the job without the zits!

Maria, How's the levaquin working for you? I hope you're doing much better.

Nan, I like Maria's suggestion for your wine. But I think I'll have to come up there & drink some before I could help with a name! ;)

Gretchen, :hug:

Kat, I'm missing you not being around as much, and it's only Tuesday! :hug:

Maria, Thanks so much for making our ADR's! I'm so excited!:yay::banana::dance3: This is going to be one awesome vacation!

Poor Bob has been trying to estimate how much we are going to spend on all of our WFD meals & all of the F&W events we hope to book! I just keep saying "Oh your estimates are too high!" ;)

As of now we are still deciding which of these F&W events we are going to try to book: 15th FF Signature Dinner or 16th Blue Zoo Dinner, Tequila Tastings Fri, Sat or Sun, Tutto Italia Food & Wine Pairing Sat 17th, French Regional Lunch Sun 18th. Plus our WFD dinners, Brenda's Meet and booth cruising, food demos & wine seminars! Gosh that is a lot of eating & drinking.

Here's the link with info on all of that, just in case I can convince any of you to join us on our binging.:goodvibes

http://www.examiner.com/x-8506-Walt...al-Specialty-Programs--Food-and-Wine-Pairings

Sheryl--they have tequila tastings???? I have very bad memories of te-kill-ya from college. But the memories aren't bad enough that I don't enjoy a margarita! Glad you are feeling better!

Vickie--Hugs to you! Feel better soon!

Maria--yes, Nana detox will be in order. We are headed up to Lake Michigan in Northern Wisconsin. My parents have rented a lake house for 3 weeks, and we'll join them for their last week. It will be nice and relaxing (once we get there, that is. 15 hours in the car isn't my ideal start to a vacation!)

Ann--yes, whoever said that 2 kids is double the work is a liar! It's more like 4 times the work! You try to get some rest too!

Nan--My MIL and their friends make wine all the time! It's great to visit their house. that's actually what they made for favors for their kids' weddings.

Okay, I had a really bad night at work. That coupled with my crapola dinner have wreaked havoc with my stomach. Going to soothe it with some watermelon vodka and sprite.

Latest update....still no results on MRI :confused3, she is going to be there another night. DB said she didn't want visitors just rest.

Hoping for some results today.:hug:

Head aches have been a nightmare.

Ive had some issues with my eyes too so I had them checked but all is good.

I spoke to the Doc and she thinks its more likely my meds causing it.

:hug: I'm hoping your issues are resolved soon and you feel better my friend.

As of now we are still deciding which of these F&W events we are going to try to book: 15th FF Signature Dinner or 16th Blue Zoo Dinner, Tequila Tastings Fri, Sat or Sun, Tutto Italia Food & Wine Pairing Sat 17th, French Regional Lunch Sun 18th. Plus our WFD dinners, Brenda's Meet and booth cruising, food demos & wine seminars! Gosh that is a lot of eating & drinking.

All the stuff I wanted to do happens before we get there! I'd like to do the Tequila tasting but not sure we could do that and make it to Cali Grill for dinner at 6? I would definitely be doing the Bluezoo signature dinner.:goodvibes

Maria--yes, Nana detox will be in order. We are headed up to Lake Michigan in Northern Wisconsin. My parents have rented a lake house for 3 weeks, and we'll join them for their last week. It will be nice and relaxing (once we get there, that is. 15 hours in the car isn't my ideal start to a vacation!)

Okay, I had a really bad night at work. That coupled with my crapola dinner have wreaked havoc with my stomach. Going to soothe it with some watermelon vodka and sprite.

Wow, that sounds like such a nice relaxing vacation! Hope the vodka & sprite gave you some comfort after a rough day.:hug:

WFD - Lauren's bacon wrapped pork kabobs, baked beans and a salad. I put the kabobs in the marinade last night and had to keep telling my guys "no you can't eat them yet, they're not cooked"...they look good already!!!!:thumbsup2

Aimee- I mix and match pans all of the time. With a box cake mix you have more wiggle room, they were designed with a little margin for error. That's why I really love to start with a box, Nanatizing can be forgiven more often than not :thumbsup2 I would use Merle's suggestion for the 13 x 9 pan.

I hope that you find the answer to the Crohn's flareup, I cannot imagine how you feel every day lately. :hug:

Steph- I hope that today is better than last night!

Sheryl- if my wine is what it takes to get you here, well then it's a deal :thumbsup2

I am planning grilled pork chops tonight. I have them marinating, I hope that they are not :scared1: but we'll see. It is supposed to be a nice day and after the deluge yesterday we need some sunshine before the rain reappears tomorrow. Kady is sleeping all snug in my bed.

I want to take her shopping for paint today. She gets to choose the color for her new room here and is leaning towards blue. She 86'd the rug I was going to use...the pink and 80's flowers will clash with her wall color ;) and is still not convinced that the daybed set I like is "the one". She is looking at some solids but I am pushing for a lavender one with butterflies. Strong opinions this girl has :woohoo:

Morning all...we have a rushed morning today.

Emma has an early growth check appointment today. I have to get the kids cleaned up and get Luke to Grammy's. My parents are going to watch him while we go to Dr. and run some errands. My DM said they are having DS withdrawals. Sometimes I feel like he is to much for my Dad, but according to her and him Luke keeps them going, makes his aches and pains go away, and gives them something to look forward to.

I will end up at their house for lunch, then my mom and I are going to go grocery shopping for my DB to stock up the fridge for the kids.

I will check in when able and let you know as I hear some updates.
Please continue prayers and good thoughts.

--------

WFD- grilled NY sirloins, yellow beans, and a package of Mexican rice

Good Morning Everyone!

I had my Physical Therapy appointment yesterday. It was really good, but OH MY did it hurt. I was really sore after. I am going to get some strength back in my knee when this is over, so I will just keep going. I did have to ice it, and I HATE ICE! I cant stand anything cold. I brought my ice pack to work today so I will just keep it elevated and iced. I go back Friday.

Sheryl, I FEEL LIKE A JERK! I forgot to send you the caps. You said dont worry while I was out, then out of sight out of mind. I will send them tomorrow! Definately! I am glad to hear you got your magazine!

Laura, I am glad that Liam is getting more playing time. They might not be winning, but atleast he is playing!

Ann, I cant wait to hear how big Emma is!

Aimee, I know Levaquin is very strong, but that is all that works on Jeff. Last sinus infection he had to go through two sets of levaquin :scared1:

Maria, How are you feeling? I think we need to meet in NJ sometime this summer and go to the shore!

Have a great day everyone, and I hope to check in later!!!

Aimee- I mix and match pans all of the time. With a box cake mix you have more wiggle room, they were designed with a little margin for error. That's why I really love to start with a box, Nanatizing can be forgiven more often than not :thumbsup2 I would use Merle's suggestion for the 13 x 9 pan.

I already did that with this cake. :rotfl: I used coffee instead of water in the cake and instead of instant coffee in the glaze.

Not sure what will be for dinner tonight. I am going to IKEA and will probably get something there.

I am so sorry you aren't feeling well. Take care - you are going on vacation my dear. It sounds like a wonderful time. Enjoy!!

I want to take her shopping for paint today. She gets to choose the color for her new room here and is leaning towards blue. She 86'd the rug I was going to use...the pink and 80's flowers will clash with her wall color ;) and is still not convinced that the daybed set I like is "the one". She is looking at some solids but I am pushing for a lavender one with butterflies. Strong opinions this girl has :woohoo:

How fun!! What a lucky little girl. I would love to taste your wine. It sounds wonderful. We have a winery about a mile from our farm. Doug and I love to go on Friday's after work. We get a bottle and let the week just fall away. A great way to start the weekend.

Morning all...we have a rushed morning today.

Emma has an early growth check appointment today. I have to get the kids cleaned up and get Luke to Grammy's. My parents are going to watch him while we go to Dr. and run some errands. My DM said they are having DS withdrawals. Sometimes I feel like he is to much for my Dad, but according to her and him Luke keeps them going, makes his aches and pains go away, and gives them something to look forward to.

I will end up at their house for lunch, then my mom and I are going to go grocery shopping for my DB to stock up the fridge for the kids.

I will check in when able and let you know as I hear some updates.
Please continue prayers and good thoughts.

Please know your SIL is being held very close today. I sure hope they find out real soon what is going on.
I am so excited for you, Ron and Luke, Emma is a very luck little girl. I can't wait to see how much she has grown.
I loved the hint of the Chocolate chips in your banana bread. I WILL try that one for sure.

Gretchen ~ oh honey!! My prayers are sure with you and your family. Bless your Dad and thank goodness for such a great daughter that you are. Blessings.

Kathy ~ I loved your recipe of the Chicken Ruben. I printed that out and will be trying that one real soon. Thanks!! I am so glad that Kyle is feeling better.
Hey I just want you to know how I am SO thinking of you. I know how hard this next month will be for you and I am right there with you. Together we can get through this. Please call me if you want to talk. These sons of our are very very precious.

Sheryl ~ WOOHOO!!!!! I am so darn glad to see you are doing so good. I have been so worried about you. Please rest and not try to do to much. We all want you to be 100% real soon.

Laura ~ Glad to hear that Greg was home. I am sure you enjoyed the time. He is now off to Germany - for 2 years :scared1: Wow how do you do it?? Jay is leaving Kwait today for Bagdad. Scary scary times. Now this Mom won't breath real good until he is home. The Lord just has to keep him safe and bring him back home.
Yea to Liam for his good playing. Good luck for the rest of the season.:cheer2:

Marilyn ~ OMGoodness that cake is pure heaven to me. I can't wait to try that one. This weekend it is to be cooler so the oven will be on for this one. For sure!! Thanks!

Maria ~ I am glad that you are feeling better, but I will be so glad to hear what the next doctor has to say. You really need to start feeling better and stay better. Bless your heart! I am so glad to know that you and Greg had such a great cruise. You SO deserved it.

Vicki ~ I am so sorry, but you made me spit my coffee all over my screen, I was laughing so hard at you. I TOTALLY understand the crow's feet and adult acne. Hello!! Don't people understand these things. :rotfl2: I do hope you start feeling better real soon. You haven't felt good for a long time.

Lauren ~ Give those boys a good hug for me. What a beautiful family you have.

Amiee ~ Take care. I worry about you. You are always on the go and I am afraid your body is telling you to slow down. Please listen and take care!!

Bethany ~ I am so glad you are down in NO and all settled. How is the new puppy doing? Your colored chowder had me laughing out loud. I almost got in trouble. :lmao:

Ok that is it for me. My mind is mush!! I hope I haven't forgotten anyone and if I have please forgive me.

WFDT ~ Matthew's choice - Chicken fried Chicken, baked potatoes and corn.

Have a great day my friends!! I will try to BBL

Aimee and Sheryl, popcorn slays my stomach too! But, I do love it. It's worth the pain.

Vicki, I hope you are feeling better soon. Adult acne, argh!!

Nancy, I think you need to send a bottle of your wine to each of your wfd friends. ;)

John balked at eating more corn last night so I changed the menu to chicken milanese topped with an arugula-tomato salad. I have pics but haven't uploaded them yet.

Not sure WFD yet--maybe a fricassee with more corn, possibly some striped bass, if I can find it.

Aimee- I'm sure you could use another pan, not sure which would work best though. I was thinking about using a loaf pan next time but don't know if I will need to use one or two. Or just use a 9x13 and don't take it out of the pan, just treat it like a poke cake. :thumbsup2

Thanks! It wouldn't hurt to have a bundt pan so I may pick one up at Tuesday Morning or someplace cheap like that.

Here's the link with info on all of that, just in case I can convince any of you to join us on our binging.:goodvibes

http://www.examiner.com/x-8506-Walt...al-Specialty-Programs--Food-and-Wine-Pairings

Can I ride in your suitcase? :flower3: I have yet to attend any of the hard ticket events for F&WF. I'm so jealous!

Thanks!! Have fun painting!!

Tonight I have to work - it's my week to handle our July fellowship night. I'll leave work when this side of the building closes and pick something up before it starts.

I bought the makings for a Pinot Grigio and an Italian Pinot Grigio.

I just got through telling Brian (Welby's DH) that if I could change anything I would go back and not make my family and me crazy over the house.

So do they sell you the pressed grape juices or something?

I was talking to one of the skating moms yesterday, and she was telling me that she is fighting with her kids every day about cleaning their rooms, making their beds, etc. I'm just not that kind of mom. Sure, I like the house to be clean, but sometimes it just isn't. I've learned that I can live with that.

What color did Kady decide on? I think I told you this before, but when we moved here, I let the kids pick out their paint colors. Liam originally wanted sunshine yellow...I vetoed that knowing I would need to repaint it as soon as any of his friends saw it...and Caili picked out this bright shade of pink. I was really worried when I opened the can and wanted sunglasses. It turned out to be pretty on the wall though.

I hope your doctor can figure out how to help you without the acne. Feel better!

We are headed up to Lake Michigan in Northern Wisconsin.

That sounds fun! (except for the 15 hour drive with kids :eek: I would need some tequila after that! :laughing:) I hope your day was better today.

My DM said they are having DS withdrawals. Sometimes I feel like he is to much for my Dad, but according to her and him Luke keeps them going, makes his aches and pains go away, and gives them something to look forward to.

That is so sweet! How did Emma make out at the doctor today? I hope you've heard some good news about your SIL by now.

Jay is leaving Kwait today for Bagdad. Scary scary times. Now this Mom won't breath real good until he is home.

I know it is hard, but try not to worry too much. When Greg is deployed, my FIL drives himself nuts by reading too much information and thinking every time something happens, Greg is somehow involved.

Nancy, I think you need to send a bottle of your wine to each of your wfd friends. ;)

I like this idea! :thumbsup2

Liam has his game tonight, and it is in another town, so we need to eat shortly. I think I am just grilling some hotdogs and making corn on the cob.

Hi everyone! I'm reading and keeping up, but honestly, by the time I get home each night I've been just too tired to post. I don't want any of you to think I don't care, I am just physically and emotionally drained. :flower3:

Forgive me.

I got some third hand updates on DSIL. I guess they are now suspecting spinal arthritis. She is waiting on more info from the orthopedic Dr.
They are still keeping her trying to get the pain under control. She had a very bad night last night and only slept about 3 hours. Keep you all posted as I hear more and that info is actually accurate. Thank you all for keep her in your prayers.

I sent some Banana bread over to the kids, DM made them chocolate cupcakes from scratch, and was picking up some groceries. My parents are taking the kids out to dinner tonight, hopefully their Mom will be home tomorrow the lastest.

---------------

Emma was born weighing 7 lb 5 oz. She weighed in today at 8 lb 12 oz.
Three weeks old and she is already growing so fast. Everything else was great and she does not go back until the beginning of September for shots.

---------------

Ellen, God love ya for coming back and catching up on all of us like that. You are so sweet!!
Praying for Jay, and all who love him.

Vickie, hope you are feeling better today.

Aimee, sorry you have to work tonight! You are one dedicated busy girl, they are very lucky to have you.

Kat, hope you are not working to hard being short handed. Have a nice glass of wine when you get home.

Becky, I could eat corn every night of the week this time of year. What does John know!;)

Marisa, glad PT went well..and the results were good pain!:hug:

Nancy, your strong girl with the strong opinions had me smiling! She knows what she likes!

Marilyn, have fun at IKEA. Some place I have never been.

Steph, sorry you had a bad night. Hope you are stomach is feeling better.

Maria, hope you and Greg are well.

Gretchen, No need to apologize. Take care of you and your family. Thinking of your Dad and you. Get all the rest you can, and don't worry about us. We all will be here.:grouphug:

Gretchen, no need to apologize. Please just know we are here for you.

Ann, I hope they can give that poor girl some relief & get her home to her family (mail should be arriving soon).

Dinner tonight, steak on the grill & tri-color tomato salad.

W received a very exciting surprise call today from the adoption agency. We were schedule Sept. 12 for a required class but there is an opening this coming Tuesday!!!!!:banana:Just moves things up a bit.
I find myself everynight thinking about the baby, it's hard to believe he may have been born already, I am so excited but feel like until he is with us part of my heart is missing.
Please pray for the Mom who will or has given him up plus the foster Mom that will care for Jack until he flies home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter