• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Laura ~ Glad to hear that Greg was home. I am sure you enjoyed the time. He is now off to Germany - for 2 years :scared1: Wow how do you do it?? Jay is leaving Kwait today for Bagdad. Scary scary times. Now this Mom won't breath real good until he is home. The Lord just has to keep him safe and bring him back home.

:hug: I know how you feel, sort of. As an Aunt I am not as invested as a parent but it is difficult. Laura is right, you cannot worry too much. My nephews and their sisters decided that any knowledge was dangerous so they tell Gail and me very little and I confess that I am happier that way. I have this vision of their deployments and while it probably is far from reality it works for me. Jay is in my prayers as is his family.

Nancy, I think you need to send a bottle of your wine to each of your wfd friends. ;)

:thumbsup2 Now you know if it comes out okay that is the plan!

So do they sell you the pressed grape juices or something?

I was talking to one of the skating moms yesterday, and she was telling me that she is fighting with her kids every day about cleaning their rooms, making their beds, etc. I'm just not that kind of mom. Sure, I like the house to be clean, but sometimes it just isn't. I've learned that I can live with that.

What color did Kady decide on? I think I told you this before, but when we moved here, I let the kids pick out their paint colors. Liam originally wanted sunshine yellow...I vetoed that knowing I would need to repaint it as soon as any of his friends saw it...and Caili picked out this bright shade of pink. I was really worried when I opened the can and wanted sunglasses. It turned out to be pretty on the wall though.

Liam has his game tonight, and it is in another town, so we need to eat shortly. I think I am just grilling some hotdogs and making corn on the cob.

Gosh, your post had me :rotfl:, picturing the "lucky meal"! I would rather the hot dogs for breakfast if it meant that the "lucky" clothing could be avoided. When Deb's team was in competition Gail and I walked into their hotel room :scared::eek::scared1:. One girl had lucky socks...she never washed them because she did not want to ruin her streak. There was lots of lucky clothing items in that room. EWWWWWWWWWWWW!:scared:

The wine is from a kit thing. I bought concentrated grape juice for two different varieties of grape, two Pino Grigios. We mixed mine yesterday, there are several steps so we have to watch it. I really hope it comes out good! There are two different Ice Wines but I did nto want to start with that, that wine would not be ready for over a year so we'll see next year.

Kady wants blue, you know "like the ocean" because she wants a sea scape room. There were hundreds of shades of blue but she was pretty clear about the shade that she wanted. She narrowed it down to two an we had samples made so that she can see how it looks on the walls.

I agree taht the room is the last thing to worry about during the summer months. I used to make the kids clean theirs but it was never my first priority. I figure if you have a few presentable rooms you've done your job:thumbsup2

Hi everyone! I'm reading and keeping up, but honestly, by the time I get home each night I've been just too tired to post. I don't want any of you to think I don't care, I am just physically and emotionally drained. :flower3:

Forgive me.

No forgiveness needed! Please don't think you need to post, we understand :hug: If ther eis anything any of us can do to help,please let us know. Your Dad is in my prayers. I also thought of you and your Dad last night. The dance was powerful and I felt that it captured the emotional turmoil family members feel.

I got some third hand updates on DSIL. I guess they are now suspecting spinal arthritis. She is waiting on more info from the orthopedic Dr.

Emma was born weighing 7 lb 5 oz. She weighed in today at 8 lb 12 oz.
Three weeks old and she is already growing so fast. Everything else was great and she does not go back until the beginning of September for shots.

---------------

Continued prayers for your SIL. It does sound like the kids are being nutured though....banana bread adn cupcakes :thumbsup2

Big girl you have there!

W received a very exciting surprise call today from the adoption agency. We were schedule Sept. 12 for a required class but there is an opening this coming Tuesday!!!!!:banana:Just moves things up a bit.
I find myself everynight thinking about the baby, it's hard to believe he may have been born already, I am so excited but feel like until he is with us part of my heart is missing.
Please pray for the Mom who will or has given him up plus the foster Mom that will care for Jack until he flies home.

You are making me cry happy tears :cloud9: I know that soon your prayers will be answered, the little one will be a Blessing and will be Blessed. My heart breaks for the young mothers who make the selfless decision to give their precious babies a better life than perhaps they could offer. Your "mother" will be in my prayers as well.

Hey y'all,

I slept half the day away & I don't know why, boredom I guess.

I'm glad therapy went well, but I know it must hurt like *@!!. :hug: A few years back when DH was still walking, he fell & broke his leg right below the knee. The tendon actually pulled part of the bone away & he had to have a pin put in. I think that is one of the few times I have seen my tough guy cry was when he had to rehab that leg.

You are sleeping becasue your body needs the rest. Honestly Sheryl, I bet you went into that surgery exhausted so your body is catching up and healing at the same time. Sleep if you are tired.

I cannot imagine the pain Bob was in. I watched Marisa and I saw how much it hurt. The therapist she is seeing is tough! Welby went to him and eventually told him she hated him. "I don't care. Now back to work!" I figure Marisa will hate him sooner rather than later but if she can avoid surgery, well then "I don't care!"

Hi all, hope you have all been well this week.

Nothing exciting going on here, it's been so busy so I'm pretty beat by the time my days off come. I really thought I'd be a bit more adjusted, oh well. I'm still having a great time working and am a little sad knowing I only have about a month and a half left of work.

I am so glad that you are enjoying your job! Tired but happy, it really does not get much better than that :thumbsup2

Liam's team won tonight, 9-3. He didn't pitch, but he made some nice plays at first. Maybe the win will give them some confidence going into the playoffs.

I just looked at our school calendar and school doesn't start until September 8th! :eek: If we have a snowy winter, the kids will be lucky if they are out by the 4th of July!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Liam!

Kady begins Sept 1st. I cannot undersatnd that your school board is not worried about missing school this winter. Our kids are losing their winter vacation, they are just getting the regular February Holidays off, they went late this year and the board is trying to avoid that again.

It is foggy and overcast here this morning, a prelude to the deluge we are expecting late this afternoon into the evening. Purples on the radar screen :mad:.

I don't think I will cook, last night Buddy tried again to tell me not to cook and I almost wish I listened to him. I had to cook those chops, and should have cooked them the day before, The marinade really "overcooked" them so they were really tough. We also ran out f has so I needed to broil them, that did not help at all. We had corn and salad as well.

I may make a chicken stew and serve it with brown rice. Buddy will hate it though so he may finish with a sandwich.

Good morning! Quick fly by...gotta unpack the car and get Tom packed for a trip this evening. Well, I just gotta pick up his suit and throw a couple things in a bag...we are pretty slow moving today and he had to run to a meeting so I am helping him...

My hometown made CNN today...the mayor got arrested on corruption. Crazy stuff. I can't believe it. He is a nice guy and Tom was friends with his son that passed away.

Dinner will be the diner...easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Ellen, Prayers for Jay!

Have a great day! BBL

Maria, that is great news! You must be getting excited.
Nancy, that sounds interesting--the wine, I mean. Do you have information on where you buy the stuff to make it? I'd like to check it out.
Glynis, good to hear from you! I am jealous of your garden. The rain has really ruined the crops here. The corn is not sweet and there is no sign of local tomatoes. :mad:

Here are some photos. Chicken milanese topped with arugula salad:

3748444091_f2e4d0729b.jpg

Last night we had sandwiches (maybe I should call them buddywiches! :laughing:). Here is mine. Turkey, bacon, swiss cheese, raspberry-chipotle sauce, and arugula:

3749231972_688d147d90.jpg

Here is John's. It has proscuitto, mozzarella, peppadews, arugula, and olive paste:

3749231928_0fe8cfe8fd.jpg

Not sure WFD yet.

We have a closing date set for M&D's house - 9/4....keeping fingers and toes crossed!

Hope it comes through!!!

My hometown made CNN today...the mayor got arrested on corruption. Crazy stuff. I can't believe it. He is a nice guy and Tom was friends with his son that passed away.

Wow, exciting!! :laughing:

I can't even remember the last time I cooked :confused3 We have a B1G1 free coupon at a local BBQ place that expires next week when DH is at camp so we're going to use it tonight. Can't waste free BBQ! :rotfl:

Kat, praying 9/4 happens!

Congratulations to Liam:cheer2:

Nan, ocean blue sounds very pretty, I see shell collecting in your future.

Had Lily at the vet this morning (have to go see a doggy opthamologist now) & now I'm off to a doctors appointment.

Dinner will be something with left over chicken.

BBL

We have a closing date set for M&D's house - 9/4....keeping fingers and toes crossed!

Me too!

I would rather the hot dogs for breakfast if it meant that the "lucky" clothing could be avoided.

I cannot undersatnd that your school board is not worried about missing school this winter.
:laughing: That reminds me of the scene from League of Their Own when the whole locker room stinks because Alice thinks it is bad luck to wash her socks. Liam can't have lucky clothing. He usually comes home from baseball covered from head to toe in dirt. We are on our third pair of white baseball pants this season.

I don't get the late start either. Even if they have no snow days, they won't get out until June 18.

My hometown made CNN today...the mayor got arrested on corruption.

That's not exactly the kind of thing you want to hear about your hometown. Did Andrew have fun at the beach? I bet you are happy to have him home.

Can't waste free BBQ! :rotfl:

Of course not!

I was going to make barbecued ribs tonight, but I don't think the weather is going to cooperate. If I can convince Caili to leave her room (she is so tired between the late baseball nights and the skating mornings), then maybe we'll go see what looks good at the fish market.

Hey Y'all,

Kat, :wizard::flower3: good luck & prayers that this sale goes through!

Laura, Yeah! I'm glad the team got a win!:cheer2: I'm going to the dr. for my 1st post op appt tomorrow. I'm going to ask about the scar for sure. I know there is Mederma but DD mentioned something that Courtney (her SisIL) that was like a tape.

BTW, Courtney is doing well with her recovery & therapy. Her therapy sounds like $@!!, but she always has a great attitude. She is also studying hard for her nursing exam.

Becky, You fix the most beautiful salads & sandwiches!:goodvibes

Lauren, You sound like you are pushing yourself pretty hard! Please take it easy, we don't want you getting sick! :hug:

Lauren, My hometown had made the national news as well for something that's even hard to talk about. A 3 month old baby died from multiple rat bites last week. It's really awful. :sad1:

Nan, Kady's room is going to be so pretty! I like her opinions! ;)

Maria, I hope Lily is okay and that your dr appt goes well.

My Mom & my aunt are bringing pizza for lunch. (Kat, Mo's!) I still have the gumbo is the fridge that DD made, so that will probably be dinner tonight. The dinner my friend sent last night was delicious, I'm have to get that recipe from her.

I do have to ask for some prayers again. :sad2: Our aide situation has become an issue again. The aide Miranda, we've had is nearing her due date & needs to slow down. We had another girl come out & she was to start this weekend & then take over evenings next week. Well the new one calls Miranda yesterday! Which is just weird, because she should have called us or the company. She told her she has another full time job & can't take us until they switch her shift! So now Bob has to get on the phone with the company & see if they can find someone else.

That's not exactly the kind of thing you want to hear about your hometown. Did Andrew have fun at the beach? I bet you are happy to have him home.

Yeah, I know. They arrested so many people that they had a bus! I know innocent until proven guilty but it's really bad.

Andrew had a blast. Wants to go again. I am trying to see if we can rent a house at the shore in August...he starts school late too...on the 8th. Crazy!

BTW, Courtney is doing well with her recovery & therapy. Her therapy sounds like $@!!, but she always has a great attitude. She is also studying hard for her nursing exam.

Lauren, You sound like you are pushing yourself pretty hard! Please take it easy, we don't want you getting sick! :hug:

Lauren, My hometown had made the national news as well for something that's even hard to talk about. A 3 month old baby died from multiple rat bites last week. It's really awful. :sad1:

Our aide situation has become an issue again.

Glad you and Courtney are doing good. I always seem to be on the go. huh? I know...I can't sit still. I am not one for down time...if I ever take a nap during the day, it means I am sick.

I heard about that incident...I feel so bad for that family. That poor baby...I could cry.

Take it easy my friend...I will say a prayer that the aide situation works out.

Sheryl- GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I hope the Bob gets this straightened out so that you all don;t have one more thing to deal with. Keep resting!

Lauren- slow down! I heard something about the corruption thing but was not really paying too much attention. I hate to hear things like that, it makes you sad when your hometown is not mentioned in a positive way.

Kat- I missed something! What are we waiting for?

Becky- The kit that Welby has been using is Heron Bay and she gets them at a beer and wine hobbyist store. I will get you the info for the ones that we used yesterday. Three different manufacturers so we are keeping notes to see which we like the best. The kit was more money than the Heron Bay but she said that she got the wine kits for her wedding here and really, it is delicious! Making wine is not as fussy as making beer. I understand that it is more forgiving than crafting beer.

Laura- those socks were stinky! That room reeked so I think that at least one other girl had some lucky articles of clothing that had been spared the washer :lmao:

Glynis- I forgot to tell you how jealous I am that your veggies are growing! I tried to use some of the squash that Buddy picked and ended up tossing the yellow. It was :scared:

If you are not feeling well and are tired then make sure that you sleep! You have gone a long time without a full nights sleep, your body is going to pay for that so please listen when it tells you to rest.

I made a summer chicken stew. It s a basic stew but I used more chunks of onion, carrots and summer squashes instead of winter veggies. I like it but Buddy is going to gag. I bought him nice fresh rolls so he can have his sandwiches :rotfl:

That is just great Kathy. I have everything I can, crossed for you.

Glynis ~ I am also very jealous of your growing veggies. I have gotten 3 small tomatoes so far this year. Not even enough to have for dinner.

Nancy ~ I want to paint my bedroom a nice ocen blue also. I want to then accent it with Chocolate brown. I am sure yours will be beautiful when you are finished. Are we going to get to see it?

Matthew is going into Lincoln tonight with Ali's family until Sunday so Doug and I are going to eat things that Matthew doesn't care for. I am so anxious for dinner tonight. We are having . . . wait for it----------Liver and Onions!! Boiled potatoes and pan gravy. Not healthy at all but once in awhile you just gotta do what you want. Right?!

Tomorrow night is Lamb chops. I have never fixed them before so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And please remember that I am not as gourmet as all of you, so make it easy. TIA

Got to get Sunday's bulletins ready. I'll BBL

Ellen- I love lamb chops but I am terrified of them. I will be looking for the suggestions as well

Enjoy your liver and onions. It is the one thing my DSIL loves and I refuse to cook so if Marisa tells him that you are cooking it he may be on the next flight your way!

Kat- I see the closing! Which offer did you accept?
fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif

I made a summer chicken stew. It s a basic stew but I used more chunks of onion, carrots and summer squashes instead of winter veggies. I like it but Buddy is going to gag. I bought him nice fresh rolls so he can have his sandwiches :rotfl:
:laughing: Sounds good to me. Poor Buddy.

Glynis -- You can add me to the list of people jealous of your growing garden. I just have potted herbs this year, but the basil, which is what I use the most, hates the weather we've had. It looks rather straggly and yellowish.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Sheryl -- That is so sad about that baby. Just awful. I'm glad Courtney is recovering and you are too. Thoughts and prayers the aide situation works out for you. You don't need added stress!

Lauren -- August at the shore would be beautiful! I hope that you're able to find someplace to stay.

The kids want pasta with red sauce tonight. That's easy enough, and it certainly feels like a pasta night with this dreary weather.

ETA: Ellen, what kind of lamb chops did you buy? Do you have rib chops, loin chops or a whole rack? I usually buy the rib chops because the kids like having meat on a bone. I just put a generous amount of salt and pepper on them, some garlic powder and either grill or broil them. They don't take very long...3 minutes on one side and then check after two more. If you want to do something a little fancier, you can skewer the chops with sprigs of fresh rosemary (rosemary pairs really well with lamb) or you could coat them in mustard and cook that way.

Kat- I see the closing! Which offer did you accept?
fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif

The highest one happened to be our friend's and it's as solid a deal as can be. He's an investor who's been doing this for over twenty years and knew as soon as he looked at it that the potential was unlimited. Still won't believe it until the check is in my hands.;)

I'm sorry y'all I haven't had anytime today to catch up, not sure when I can.:guilty:

Ellen I'll keep Jay in my prayers. I know god will watch over him and all our soliders. :hug:

Nancy Alex has a blue underwater room I had to paint a big bruce from Nemo on the wall with the ship too. Bruce has glow in the dark teeth.
We are currently looking for grown up colors for his room. I have soo many of those little paint colors I could open my own paint store.:rolleyes1

Oh where did you find the wine kit?

Kathy I will keep my fingers crossed . It is too early to cross my eyes I will get a headache.

Maria Poor Lily. I had a dog with dry eyes.

ETA: Ellen, what kind of lamb chops did you buy? Do you have rib chops, loin chops or a whole rack? I usually buy the rib chops because the kids like having meat on a bone. I just put a generous amount of salt and pepper on them, some garlic powder and either grill or broil them. They don't take very long...3 minutes on one side and then check after two more. If you want to do something a little fancier, you can skewer the chops with sprigs of fresh rosemary (rosemary pairs really well with lamb) or you could coat them in mustard and cook that way.

Laura thanks. I have rib chops. All I know is that I have a very small package and it was $37.89 for it. So I don't want to mess them up. Thanks so much for the help.

Enjoy your liver and onions. It is the one thing my DSIL loves and I refuse to cook so if Marisa tells him that you are cooking it he may be on the next flight your way!

Jeff is welcome anytime. You tell him I will set an extra plate.

Sheryl ~ I hope the Aid situation will be taken care of real soon. You don't need the extra worry. Rest and take care. Please

Here are the recipes that you all asked for:

Cheesy Beans

Mix together:
2 T butter melted in pan
2 T flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper 1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp minced onion

add:
1 cup sour cream
4 cans drained green beans
heat throughly

Spoon 1/3 of mixture in oven proof baking dish. Sprinkle 3/4 cup Shredded Swiss cheese on top. Repeat for 3 layers ending with the Cheese on top.

Mix 1/2 cup cornflakes crumbled with 2 T butter and top mixture.
Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes in a 350 oven.

These are so good. I hope you all enjoy them.

Roasted Ranch Potatoes

6 Russets peeled and cubed. Place them in a baking dish and coat with EVOO Sprinkle a package of dry Ranch dressing over potatoes. Mix all together, cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

You can make as much or as little as you want just adjust everything accordingly. So yummy!!

Enjoy!!

Hey....sup with Dis ?

keep losing multi quotes !! :confused3

Gonnae try from memory...this should be good.:laughing:

Maria - :yay: I had words but :yay: just seems to fit.

Ellen - Im glad I made you laugh,that was my intention, Ive been such a crabbit face round here lately my acne issue gave me chance to mess aboot.:thumbsup2

Hope Jay keeps safe.

Kat- totally magic news about the house ,fingers crossed ower the water for you.

Sheryl - I hope you are still kickin back and taking it easy.

Gretchen- Love and lots and lots of good vibes ower the water to you and yours.

Nancy- We let the boy pick his colours for his room and boy did he run with it !!

1 Tango Orange wall,1 bright red wall and two the bluest of blue walls..oh yes and ALL glitter paint !! :cool2:

I dont know how he sleeps in there,my head hurts takin in the laundry !! :headache:

Ok,strugglin now...oh yes IKEA,some one mentioned IKEA.

I work in IKEA.

I work in storage.

I sell Billy book cases 5 days a week.

My big thing is to always tell folks to check the codes on the boxes.Ye dont want to get all the way home and have picked up the WRONG thing right ?

So theres no way on gods green earth would go to IKEA tonight and buy a Large Oak billy book case and small white door right ?

WRONG....Im thinkin its gonnae be a while before I live this one down !! :rotfl2:

Sendin love ower the water to you all.

Have a good night Lassies xx

Oh where did you find the wine kit?

There is a beer and wine hobby shop in Hartford but we went to East Hartford to another store. There were a lot of different concentrates to choose from. Each kit was between $90 and $110 dollars. There were some that were more money but for my first time I was nervous.

I looked my dinner tonight. I picked up some brown rice at the Chinese Restaurant near Marisa, I like it better than the one I make. I caught Buddy peeking under the lid and making faces at it :rotfl2:He had his sandwiches and cookies for dessert....I did tell him that if he wants to eat that stuff instead of my healthy stew and whole grain rice I was going to increase his life insurance :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter