The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Last night was Pie night so dinner was PIE! Marisa made bacon tomato squares and a squash casserole as well.

We had

Chocolate almond mousse pie
Pumpkin pie
Pineapple pie
Peanut butter chocolate pie
fresh fruit tart on a meringue shell
Millionaire pie
Lemon meringue pie
Apple crumb pie
apple cream cheese pie
Cheesecake with blueberry topping
Chocolate cream pie (Kady made this)
Maple Pecan pie

Last night was Pie night so dinner was PIE! Marisa made bacon tomato squares and a squash casserole as well.

We had

Pumpkin pie
Pineapple pie
Millionaire pie
Lemon meringue pie
Apple crumb pie
apple cream cheese pie
Maple Pecan pie

Pie night is such a cool thing your family does..

So tell me more about the tomato bacon....

The pies sound good but yes more on the tomato and bacon.

The pot roast came out really good! We ate it for leftovers last night along with some Macaroni Grill leftovers. Maybe we'll have spaghetti for dinner tonight. I have some homemade sauce in the freezer. That sounds easy. I need to finish packing for the cruise.

....wfdt? Stracotto with porcini mushrooms and cheesy polenta....

Ingredients
1 (5-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon or pinot noir
1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth, plus extra, as needed
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 large sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Pat the beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a heavy 6-quart pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Remove the beef and set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining oil and the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. Add the wine and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in the broth and mushrooms. Return the beef to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook until the beef is fork-tender, about 3 hours, turning the beef over halfway through and adding more beef broth, as needed.

Transfer the beef to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, spoon any excess fat off the top of the pan juices. Using an immersion blender, blend the pan juices and vegetables until smooth. Add the rosemary and thyme. Bring to sauce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Cut the beef into 1-inch pieces and place on a platter. Spoon some of the sauce over the meat and serve the remaining sauce on the side.

Note: The cooked pan juices and vegetables can also be pureed in a blender

....wfdt? Stracotto with porcini mushrooms and cheesy polenta....

Ingredients
1 (5-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon or pinot noir
1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth, plus extra, as needed
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 large sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Pat the beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a heavy 6-quart pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Remove the beef and set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining oil and the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. Add the wine and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in the broth and mushrooms. Return the beef to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook until the beef is fork-tender, about 3 hours, turning the beef over halfway through and adding more beef broth, as needed.

Transfer the beef to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, spoon any excess fat off the top of the pan juices. Using an immersion blender, blend the pan juices and vegetables until smooth. Add the rosemary and thyme. Bring to sauce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Cut the beef into 1-inch pieces and place on a platter. Spoon some of the sauce over the meat and serve the remaining sauce on the side.

Note: The cooked pan juices and vegetables can also be pureed in a blender

Sounds delish!

We had

Pumpkin pie
Pineapple pie
Millionaire pie
Lemon meringue pie
Apple crumb pie
apple cream cheese pie
Maple Pecan pie

pie night sure seems to come round regularly. Love the selection you had!

www.mealsmatter.org

Tomato Bacon Squares

Drooling over this recipe? Be sure to add it to your recipe box on ZipList to retain access after January 15, 2013.
Contributed By: marenjones
Pampered Chef

Total Preparation Time: Less than 15 minutes
Actual Cooking Time: 15 to 30 minutes
Number of Servings: More than 10
Ingredients
8 slices Bacon, crisply cooked & chopped
1 Medium tomato, seeded & chopped
1/2 Small onion, chopped
3/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 cup Mayo
1 tsp Dried basil leaves
1 10oz Pkg refrigerated flaky biscuits
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients but biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 thinner halves. Place halves on bottom of pan & press together to cover the bottom of pan completely. Spread bacon mixture over top.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until puffed & golden brown. Cut into small squares.
Cook's Notes
Nutrition Information
© 2012 Meals Matter | www.mealsmatter.org

www.mealsmatter.org

Tomato Bacon Squares

Drooling over this recipe? Be sure to add it to your recipe box on ZipList to retain access after January 15, 2013.
Contributed By: marenjones
Pampered Chef

Total Preparation Time: Less than 15 minutes
Actual Cooking Time: 15 to 30 minutes
Number of Servings: More than 10
Ingredients
8 slices Bacon, crisply cooked & chopped
1 Medium tomato, seeded & chopped
1/2 Small onion, chopped
3/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 cup Mayo
1 tsp Dried basil leaves
1 10oz Pkg refrigerated flaky biscuits
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients but biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 thinner halves. Place halves on bottom of pan & press together to cover the bottom of pan completely. Spread bacon mixture over top.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until puffed & golden brown. Cut into small squares.
Cook's Notes
Nutrition Information
© 2012 Meals Matter | www.mealsmatter.org

That sounds yummy and very easy!

We had

Pumpkin pie
Pineapple pie
Millionaire pie
Lemon meringue pie
Apple crumb pie
apple cream cheese pie
Maple Pecan pie
:eek: at the SAME TIME???!?!? :faint:

Today is Wednesday and we normally go to my mother's for dinner. But she decided to take a last minute trip to China and we were left to fend for ourselves.

DH decided to cook tonight. He wanted some fried noodles. When I came home from work, he hadn't started any of the preparation and before I could even take my shoes off, he started to ask questions about what to do....and then what?......and then?.....how should I put the sauce together?.......and now what should I do?

*sigh* Guess who ended up cooking the fried noodles?

:rotfl2:

All I can say is that *DH* sure made a very tasty noodles!

:eek: at the SAME TIME???!?!? :faint:

You are obviously not familiar with their "pie night" tradition. I wish I had enough friends/family that we could do something like this, but with just the two of us, we'd have to eat it all ourselves!

Today is Wednesday and we normally go to my mother's for dinner. But she decided to take a last minute trip to China and we were left to fend for ourselves.

DH decided to cook tonight. He wanted some fried noodles. When I came home from work, he hadn't started any of the preparation and before I could even take my shoes off, he started to ask questions about what to do....and then what?......and then?.....how should I put the sauce together?.......and now what should I do?

*sigh* Guess who ended up cooking the fried noodles?

:rotfl2:

All I can say is that *DH* sure made a very tasty noodles!

Yes Fran makes a very tasty, "whatever" as well. I completely understand! Only 4 days now until we leave. It can't come soon enough. She keeps adding things to do. Black Friday shopping and who knows what....

So far this morning I have made the vegetable stock for the brine and assembled the brine for the turkey...

DSC_3011.jpg

DSC_3012.jpg

The brine is the stock, salt, brown sugar, allspice, peppercorns, and candied ginger...

Cranberry Orange Relish

4 cups cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
orange zest
1 tsp grated ginger
1/4 cup orange liquor

DSC_3013.jpg

Before they pop...

DSC_3015.jpg

After the pop

here is the naked turkey in the brine pot..

DSC_3016.jpg

Brine going in....

DSC_3017.jpg

Homemade biscuits and cornbread for the dressing...

DSC_3021.jpg

DSC_3022.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter