• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Hey y'all please pray for Alexis she is having ermengency appendectomy right now!

I just saw this! Thank goodness the surgery went well. I guess we know why our little Princess has stomach pain:sad2: Prayers for her speedy recovery :hug:

Please keep DH in your prayers today as well. He has a Dr. appointment this afternoon. His blood pressure has been really out of whack and they have been trying to get it under control. He needs a med. card for his new job and there are blood pressure requirements to be met. TIA.

The stress of passing does not help either. Buddy needs to have his BP within certain limits on his medical card and for a while he needed to go every month to the DR. Then the card was issued for three months. Finally he is back but I swear his nerves made it worse. Good luck to your DH!

At least you will not have the problem I have. When I clean the basement, I put things in the closets. When I clean the closets, I put things in the basement. I'm not sure what I would do if I cleaned both at the same time!

See, that is the problem I am running into. I also put stuff elsewhere so it is moving all over the house :headache: Add to it that Nola is a handful today and the whole house is upside down

Nancy ~ Good luck on the cleaning. I have started my fall cleaning also. There isn't anything better than finishing a job and looking back and seeing what you have accomplished. You go girl!!:cheer2:

If I look today I will crawl into a hole:sad2:

Actually, I have my closets in pretty good shape now. I need to put things back into Kady's closet, it is all in my den right now. Buddy and I have been at an impasse, he wanted to get teh floors redone before finishing her room. I did not. I really do not want to drag everything from that side of the house into the great room for three days while the floor guys come. I have no idea what to do with my poor kitties adn I cannot figure out how I would get to the bathroom. I won this round, thank goodsness. I would need to moce out with two cats and Nola :dance3:

It's official! Sandwiches for dinner.

Tonight I'm making tacos.

That's what we had!

Kat ~ prayers for the house. This WILL happen my friend. I asked for patience just once in my life and the Lord sent me Stephanie (my youngest DD). :rotfl2: Never again have I ever asked for patience. So just believe me - it will happen.

Bethany ~ You are so good for me. You just make me laugh. I can just see you pleading your case with the Oreos. That would so be my Doug. :rotfl2:

Kathy - I agree about believing this is the one that will go through. I mean really, what were the odds you would run across your old friend who flips houses?

As for praying for patience...:rotfl2: I'm totally with you there! I made the mistake of doing that ONE TIME! After the day I had...NEVER AGAIN!

You see, in order to develop patience, you need to experience many things that REQUIRE patience. Makes for a LONG day. :headache:

Thanks. You know, I've been VERY good with the Oreos. I've only had a few and we got them on Tuesday. :thumbsup2 I got cinnamon rolls for Saturday morning too. :rolleyes1 Sweet tooth? Me? Never. :rotfl:

We've been to Boma and really liked it. Since I have allergies they have a chef come out and walk you through the buffet line and tell you what is safe for you to eat.:thumbsup2

It usually gets rave reviews, both breakfast and dinner, but my mother went one time and didn't like it so we never go :confused3 Well, she'll be at work that morning anyways so we're going! :laughing:

Aimee -- I hope you are able to hold off until your dental coverage starts. Your Christmas plans sound wonderful! I have only eaten at CG -- it's wonderful -- but I have heard good things about your other choices too.

I've never done CG due to reviews that it's swarming with children now, thanks to the fireworks view. But, the food is typically well rated. Have you found that to be true? You know I LOVE children, but I don't love tired cranky children drug to a nice restaurant too late at night so their parents can nurse a cocktail for an hour so they can see the fireworks. :laughing:

Aimee ~ Matthew just got all 4 of his wisdom teeth out 3 weeks ago. They can really mess you up. I know you don't want to wait and I don't blame you but don't let it go on forever. You are actually getting by very cheap, Matthew's was $1896.00.

Ouch! Sounds like mine won't be too bad - $250 a tooth. But today is day 2 without any pain at ALL so I am going to call tomorrow and cancel it. With a holiday on Monday, I want to give them more than 2 day notice since it's a major procedure and they often have a wait list.

I was planning on tacos... but went with a friend to a local mexican place for their daily lunch special which was, of course, tacos. So I ordered pizza instead. It'll be here in a few minutes :goodvibes

Hey y'all please pray for Alexis she is having ermengency appendectomy right now!

:hug: Poor baby.

My godson had that happen several years ago, we thought the poor kid had food poisoning because he had eaten something no one else had and at first it was just the vomiting. In the middle of the night he started to run a fever and he was in pain and his mom and I took him to the ER the next morning.

There was a funny though. They gave him morphine for the pain, he was just laying there on his side with his eyes half open and about 20 minutes after they gave it to him he suddenly opened his eyes, looked at me and stuck his tongue out. :rotfl: Then his eyes started moving back and forth really fast.

Aimee- if you wait will the insurance cover it?

Dinner tonight was lemon garlic chicken with orzo.

Tomorrow I work from 7 to 11 then I am off!! I have my godsons football games tomorrow night. Hoping to go to the beach on the bay Saturday, maybe do some crabbing.

Hey Y'all,

Sorry for the late update on Alexis. Cell phone battery went dead in the hospital today. Got home & gobbled down some food. Alexis slept about an hour this evening, not much at all considering the meds she's on. They gave her morphine & tylenol w/codiene at noon and 3:00. They had to give it to her again around 7:00. She is trying so hard to "be good" but she is in a lot of pain. She was able to drink water & a little juice without vomiting. The surgeon came in this evening & thought that she was doing as well as could be expected.

Thanks to all of you for the concern, love & prayers. :grouphug: I only thought I needed it & y'all for my surgery. Watching our "baby girl" in so much pain, is just killer.

I've never done CG due to reviews that it's swarming with children now, thanks to the fireworks view. But, the food is typically well rated. Have you found that to be true? You know I LOVE children, but I don't love tired cranky children drug to a nice restaurant too late at night so their parents can nurse a cocktail for an hour so they can see the fireworks. :laughing:

Aimee, I've been to CG three times and have never had a problem with kids. I adore kids but also cannot stand unruly, tired kids acting out. To be honest I've never even noticed the kids while there. The atmosphere can't be beat.:thumbsup2

There was a funny though. They gave him morphine for the pain, he was just laying there on his side with his eyes half open and about 20 minutes after they gave it to him he suddenly opened his eyes, looked at me and stuck his tongue out. :rotfl: Then his eyes started moving back and forth really fast.

So funny and cute!:rotfl:

Hey Y'all,

Sorry for the late update on Alexis. Cell phone battery went dead in the hospital today. Got home & gobbled down some food. Alexis slept about an hour this evening, not much at all considering the meds she's on. They gave her morphine & tylenol w/codiene at noon and 3:00. They had to give it to her again around 7:00. She is trying so hard to "be good" but she is in a lot of pain. She was able to drink water & a little juice without vomiting. The surgeon came in this evening & thought that she was doing as well as could be expected.

Thanks to all of you for the concern, love & prayers. :grouphug: I only thought I needed it & y'all for my surgery. Watching our "baby girl" in so much pain, is just killer.

I can't even imagine how you must have felt.:hug: Bless her little heart for trying to be good.:goodvibes

I've never done CG due to reviews that it's swarming with children now, thanks to the fireworks view. But, the food is typically well rated. Have you found that to be true?

Hi Aimee, we go to CG every trip. I think "swarming" with kids is definitely an overstatement. Yes, there are some kids there, but every time I have been, (adults only and with children trips) with one exception, those kids were well behaved. I have certainly seen some things that would be odd in other locations...I remember a table with well dressed adults, and all the kids in their PJs! But, you know what? Those PJ clad kids were quiet and well behaved, so...

I think there is a segment of Disney folks who find any children in signature restaurants annoying. Some people think of CG as a "romantic" place to dine...I know I've seen a handful of proposals there. Here is the thing, though, at least from my "childfree by choice" perspective: it's Disney! There are kids everywhere! (until Disney builds that adults only resort that would be really, really popular! ;))

But only the well-behaved ones get to eat at the California Grill. :snooty:

Truthfully, one time we were at V+A's and there were kids there too! They were in the private dining room, but they were SCREECHING! You could hear them through the whole place. It was a wedding party, and I am sure they were overtired. But when you are paying those prices...

I love Disney, and I love lots of other places too! If I want completely kidfree I go elsewhere for my vacation.

Finally, some of the worst behavior I have seen at CG is from adults! Whether overly intoxicated folks, to inappropriately dressed for the spot folks, to completely rude people coming from elsewhere in the restaurant to stand in front of the front tier of seated tables to watch the fireworks instead of going outside to the deck...I could go on forever!

Anyway, um.... the food is good. You should go! :laughing:

I can't imagine. :hug:

Here is my dinner--avocado BLT. Obviously, I only ate half.

3886209458_97ca514ddd.jpg

Sheryl, you must be exhausted. Prayers that Alexis has a peaceful night sleep~

Kat, I've never had a problem with the kids at CG either:confused3
It's usually the adults that are the issue;)

Vick, you still scared? Lauren & I are big huggers so that's the only thing you need to worry about.:hug:

*****Spoke to Gretchen tonight....Dad is on oxygen & confused all the time. Her Mom is realizing that Dad isn't getting better & he was able to say "goodbye" to Gretchen last weekend.Please keep prayers of Mercy coming their direction.
We had a good laugh tonight that Hailey would identify me as "the sucker" & open candy after candy.....:rotfl:
I told her that's what we Aunties do:goodvibes

Aimee- if you wait will the insurance cover it?

We have open enrollment in Dec/Jan so I could opt into the dental for next year, which would help pay for part of it. Coupled with the flex spending money rolling over - I've already drained the acct for the year.

Hey Y'all,

Oh, poor baby. I hate when children are suffering :sad1: I hope they can get a pain medicine routine that will help her sleep so her body can heal. :hug:

Aimee, I've been to CG three times and have never had a problem with kids. I adore kids but also cannot stand unruly, tired kids acting out. To be honest I've never even noticed the kids while there. The atmosphere can't be beat.:thumbsup2

Thanks! :goodvibes

Hi Aimee, we go to CG every trip. I think "swarming" with kids is definitely an overstatement. Yes, there are some kids there, but every time I have been, (adults only and with children trips) with one exception, those kids were well behaved. I have certainly seen some things that would be odd in other locations...I remember a table with well dressed adults, and all the kids in their PJs! But, you know what? Those PJ clad kids were quiet and well behaved, so...

I think there is a segment of Disney folks who find any children in signature restaurants annoying. Some people think of CG as a "romantic" place to dine...I know I've seen a handful of proposals there. Here is the thing, though, at least from my "childfree by choice" perspective: it's Disney! There are kids everywhere! (until Disney builds that adults only resort that would be really, really popular! ;))

But only the well-behaved ones get to eat at the California Grill. :snooty:

Truthfully, one time we were at V+A's and there were kids there too! They were in the private dining room, but they were SCREECHING! You could hear them through the whole place. It was a wedding party, and I am sure they were overtired. But when you are paying those prices...

I love Disney, and I love lots of other places too! If I want completely kidfree I go elsewhere for my vacation.

Finally, some of the worst behavior I have seen at CG is from adults! Whether overly intoxicated folks, to inappropriately dressed for the spot folks, to completely rude people coming from elsewhere in the restaurant to stand in front of the front tier of seated tables to watch the fireworks instead of going outside to the deck...I could go on forever!

Anyway, um.... the food is good. You should go! :laughing:

:laughing:

It's true, though, it's typically ADULTS that are the worst. I love the adults that complain about how disruptive the "children" are during worship when they are the ones clipping their nails during the sermon, taking pee breaks during the discipline of silence, snoring, etc.

*****Spoke to Gretchen tonight....Dad is on oxygen & confused all the time. Her Mom is realizing that Dad isn't getting better & he was able to say "goodbye" to Gretchen last weekend.Please keep prayers of Mercy coming their direction.

Prayers and hugs said for, Gretchen, and your family :hug:

Thanks for keeping us posted on her behalf :goodvibes

The stress of passing does not help either. Buddy needs to have his BP within certain limits on his medical card and for a while he needed to go every month to the DR. Then the card was issued for three months. Finally he is back but I swear his nerves made it worse. Good luck to your DH!
Stress and nerves about passing are not helping at all. He did get the three month card but that expires in October. Yesterday his BP was 142/94 it needs to be 140/90 to have his card passed for a year. His BP was much better than it had been originally but not good enough for a new card :headache:, his Dr. is a stickler and won't pass him if it is off by one number. See what happens next month.

Hugs and prayers to Gretchen and Alexis...and everyone else in need of hugs.

Gotta run this morning, taking Emma for her two month check-up and shots.
I better bring a tissue with me...I am a crier.

Fill you all in later on how big my princess has gotten.

:flower3:Ann

Hey y'all, I just read through everything before heading back to the hospital.

Maria, Thanks for the phone call, it didn't come through until this morning. You are a dear! Also thanks for the update on Gretchen. My prayers her with her & her family right now.

Ann, :hug: Poor little Emma & Mom! I hope the dr.'s visit goes as well as it can! :hug: Also praying for your hubby to get the right meds to control that blood pressure! :flower3:Glad you're enjoying your new van!

I'm sorry I know there is more I needed to say, but I just can't remember.

I also have to figure out something to pick up for Chris before I get to the hosp. Today is her b-day. Every single year, something happens on or near her b-day to prevent a real celebration for her! Several years that's been hurricanes & evacuations had her totally forgotten, last year it was Gustav. Now this. :sad2:

I don't know if I told y'all this or not, but her appendix did rupture. The surgeon said that luckily the leakage was trapped in a little pocket surrounded by the intenstine. He hoped he was able to get it all out without spreading infection, so they had to flush out the whole abdominal area. Sorry again I can't keep my mind on anything but her.

Love & thanks for being friends!:grouphug:

Fill you all in later on how big my princess has gotten.

:flower3:Ann

Please do!

I don't know if I told y'all this or not, but her appendix did rupture. The surgeon said that luckily the leakage was trapped in a little pocket surrounded by the intenstine. He hoped he was able to get it all out without spreading infection, so they had to flush out the whole abdominal area. Sorry again I can't keep my mind on anything but her.

Hey now, no apologies. Thank God the leakage was trapped. Prayers continue for Alexis and all of you.:hug:

WFD - Eating out or takeout, not sure.

Maria - Thanks for updating on Gretchen, prayers for her and her family.

I won this round, thank goodsness. I would need to move out with two cats and Nola :dance3:

I'm glad you don't have to deal with renovations on top of all the cleaning you are doing. Buddy must have been happy with dinner last night.

I've never done CG due to reviews that it's swarming with children now, thanks to the fireworks view. But, the food is typically well rated. Have you found that to be true?

I agree with what Becky wrote.

Tomorrow I work from 7 to 11 then I am off!! I have my godsons football games tomorrow night. Hoping to go to the beach on the bay Saturday, maybe do some crabbing.

Have a good weekend!

Watching our "baby girl" in so much pain, is just killer.

That is so sad! I hope she is feeling more comfortable today. More good thoughts and prayers for her and all of you! Happy Birthday to Chris. I am sure all she wants is for Alexis to be okay.

Maria -- Thanks for the update on Gretchen. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family as well.

Stress and nerves about passing are not helping at all.

Does his doctor take his BP more than once? I am usually stressed when I first go in for a visit, so my reading always comes back high, but after my doctor chats with me for a while, she'll take it again and it is normal.

Good luck at the doctor's today!

Caili has skating this afternoon, so I'm not sure about dinner. I am leaning toward takeout.

Stress and nerves about passing are not helping at all. He did get the three month card but that expires in October. Yesterday his BP was 142/94 it needs to be 140/90 to have his card passed for a year. His BP was much better than it had been originally but not good enough for a new card :headache:, his Dr. is a stickler and won't pass him if it is off by one number. See what happens next month.

That must be nervewracking. :hug:

Love & thanks for being friends!:grouphug:

Oh, poor baby. I bet that will mean more pain and soreness for her now. So glad the leakage was contained.

My brother is coming over tonight to pick up Ace :sad1: We talked about doing dinner, but they'll be here late so we may just do something for dinner without them.

Good afternoon everyone,

I apoligize for not getting in here sooner. I was working away this morning and my computer died - I mean just went completely black and was dead. I brought it back up and got a "blue screen error". I had no idea what that was so I called our tech guy and he told me to do nothing with it and he would be right in. He came about 2 and ran all sorts of different programs and it is all better now - I hope!!

So I am way behind so I can't catch up. But please know my thoughts and prayers are with you all - Gretchen, Alexis and Maria, especially.

It is a drizzly, dreary, cool day here today. All of the kids will be home tonight and we are planning on going to the winery. So I really don't know what dinner will be. Whatever they have out on the table I guess.

Tomorrow bright and early will find us on the way into Lincoln for the first Husker game of the season. GO BIG RED!!! Fun fun weekend. It is also State Fair weekend so we we'll poke around there some too on Sunday and we'll come home on Monday. So you all have a great Holiday weekend and I will see you on Tuesday.

Make it a great day my friends.

Hey All! We are back...I did not read thoroughly so if I missed anything major, please let me know...

Gretchen, Your Dad and your Family are in my prayers...I know what you are going through and cannot really say anything to take the pain away. It is all too familiar to me...all I can offer are prayers. My love to you...

Sheryl, I hope Alexis is doing OK...poor thing!

Ann, Prayers for Ron!

BB soon to try and catch up. Gotta do some Laundry and change a stinky diaper. Boy, TMI alert, Tommy Boy poops an awful lot since starting fruits and veggies!

Have a great weekend, Ellen!

Welcome back, Lauren! I hope you had a fun week.

Aimee -- I hope Ace does well in his new home. I know you need to, but it must be hard to let him go after spending so much time with him.

I ended up getting takeout Indian for my dinner tonight. Yummy!

I got a jump on my weekend chores tonight. I want to get up early and go to my favorite butcher and apple orchard and maybe the farmers market. I will probably be pooped but I'll have good eats for awhile.:cool1:

Tonight is chicken wings, rice and snap peas.

Sheryl I hope they were able to get Alexis pain under control today :hug: I hope you are doing well. Poor Chris I hope she manages to have a nice birthday.

Lauren Welcome home!

Ellen I wish you could have some of our weather. It was so beautiful the last couple of days. They took the rain out of the forcast for this weekend. We will be in the upper 70's.:yay:

Laura I wish we had a take out Indian restaurant close by.

I hope I am not forgetting any one. If I am please forgive me. :upsidedow

I also have to figure out something to pick up for Chris before I get to the hosp. Today is her b-day. Every single year, something happens on or near her b-day to prevent a real celebration for her! Several years that's been hurricanes & evacuations had her totally forgotten, last year it was Gustav. Now this. :sad2:

:hug: That is so rotten, especially for someone her age. :sad1:

That is really scary about her appendix. It sounds like it could have been even worse than it was.

No plans for the weekend yet...I had some but they fell through (two different times. :headache:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter