The Running Thread - 2016

Here is a picture of the winner at the turn towards the finish line (hope it is not too large). The RD is the one cheering him on.
12687824_975990589158535_961127357993622146_n.jpg

How about your race? Are you still aiming for a sub-45 10K this weekend?

Weather looks like it will be alright with lows in the lower 50's and a high around 70. I was originally aiming for 44:45, changed to 45:00, and I still think it's unlikely I get there this race. I haven't put in the required work to get that time. I think its more likely that I run somewhere around 46:45... I may try a fast paced run tomorrow and see how it feels... The goal 10k is the one in April, this 10k was supposed to be my way into the faster corral, but you need proof of a sub 45:00 10k to get into it. So I will end up a little behind those folks. Maybe I should watch a running movie tonight to get excited again...

Wow. Ya'll (we say that in Virginia too!) are sharing some great stories.....can't imagine what the ride in that stroller must have been like.

ATTQOD: Watched SB in comfort of our own home with catering provided by Dominos and Peyton Manning's favorite beverage he referenced last night.

you = singular
yall = plural
all yall = at least three of yall

Revised for Chicago
you = singular
you guys = plural
all you guys = at least three of you guys

I went to Tulane in NOLA for college and live in Chicago, my mom is from Brooklyn and my dad from West Virginia, I grew up in Indiana and Chicago area. I literally make people scratch their heads at least once a week with my odd phrasing.

Example of Nola/Chicago mashup...
Where yat?
Over by dere.

you = singular
yall = plural

Revised for Chicago
you = singular
you guys = plural

I went to Tulane in NOLA for college and live in Chicago, my mom is from Brooklyn and my dad from West Virginia, I grew up in Indiana and Chicago area. I literally make people scratch their heads at least once a week with my odd phrasing.

Where yat?
Over by dere.

Do you miss Mardi Gras? I am ok for one day in NOLA and that's enough parades for me. You cant pay me to go to Bourbon St. until its all over. I did it once and while I think its a great experience, its not something I'll do again. In my old angry man voice "Get off my lawn!".
Its really all about the king cake! I had the baby in my piece at lunch today. Glad I saw him before I took the bite.

Do you miss Mardi Gras? I am ok for one day in NOLA and that's enough parades for me. You cant pay me to go to Bourbon St. until its all over. I did it once and while I think its a great experience, its not something I'll do again. In my old angry man voice "Get off my lawn!".
Its really all about the king cake! I had the baby in my piece at lunch today. Glad I saw him before I took the bite.

Yes and No. I was a college student and classes and everything on campus were all but shut down for a week. So it was me basically fending for myself for a week...no precious dining hall and a lot of down time to get in trouble. I wasn't a huge partier, but I also wasn't a total angel. I LOVED reading about the history of all the krewes and that aspect really intrigued me. I'd be the nerd in my dorm watching the Rex ball on public access before going out. I was lucky to have lots of local friends to show me around the parades and festivities that never touched the area near the quarter. Sure I went to see Endymion and Orpheus and some of the big ones, but I also saw so many smaller ones...even out in Metarie and in Mississippi.
Attended so many house parties and boils. I HATED HATED HATED Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras, got stuck there on Lundi Gras one year and almost had a panic attack.
A couple years ago we ordered a king cake mailed to us and watched Muses online, but it wasn't quite the same.

QOTD: What did you do for the Super Bowl?

Just hung out at the house. I caught about 3/4 of the game and some of the commercials. I also thought the half time show was not that good.

Party at my house. Stuck to my diet, so that was good. Was pulling for Denver, so the game was fun. Really enjoyed the half-time show, and the Doritos / ultrasound commercial had me in tears.

I completely missed this one. This one is great. From those that I did see it was the best.

Is my use of the word yall acceptable?

I think y'all is perfect. I use it all the time. I think you'uns is really deep south. Also a little to close to young'uns which makes me older than I want to feel :lmao:

you = singular
yall = plural

Revised for Chicago
you = singular
you guys = plural

Where yat?
Over by dere.

Don't ferget over yonder :rotfl2:

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!

Haven't been on the boards in a few days, and I need to catch up!

QOTD: Anyone carry items not directly related to running? Protection from animals or people? Where did you get them?

I usually just carry my phone and car/house key. However, I usually run with a group, so even if I end up doing most of the run by myself, I see other people I know throughout the run and they all know where I am and how far I'm going.

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?

Currently on a running book kick. I just finished Running Long, an anthology of long form articles from Runners World, and now I'm reading The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life, by Amby Burfoot. The Force Awakens is the last movie I've seen.

QOTD: What did you do for the Super Bowl?

I just hung out at home and made dinner with my roommate and her boyfriend. We watched the first quarter of the game and then watched Seinfeld (currently marathoning all 9 seasons) until he went home and she went to bed. I did get to watch the fourth quarter to see who won!

Is my use of the word yall acceptable? I use it often without thinking about. Since we have people posting from all parts of the country, it probably makes me look like a hick. I would say my grammar / spelling errors does not help either.

Lol, I'm from New York and moved to Florida about 7 months ago, and I think I'm already picking up the "ya'll" from my southern friends. Every once in a while I realize that I just said ya'll to somebody and I'm always a little surprised because I grew up in an area where a plural you was always "you guys."

I know this is a running thread, but a lot of you seem to be cyclists as well, so I thought I'd ask for some bike advice! I mentioned a while back that I'm trying to bike more while I'm out of commission for running, and I'm also thinking about incorporating more biking for cross training once I'm good to run again. I might even start thinking about a triathlon a while down the line. Anyway, I've been shopping for a road bike. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and most new bikes seem to be expensive enough for it to be tough for me to also afford the other necessary gear. So I found a used 2005 Trek 1000 for $450 at a local bike shop. The fitting and everything was nice and thorough, and the salesman even came with me on the test ride to watch how I was riding and then changed out the part where the handlebars attach so the reach was a little longer. I'm feeling good about it, and it seems much less risky than buying a used bike on Craigslist or something. Does that seem like a relatively good deal to those of you who know bikes? Any other advice about buying my first road bike/what I should make sure to get as far as gear and clothes? TIA!

Weather looks like it will be alright with lows in the lower 50's and a high around 70. I was originally aiming for 44:45, changed to 45:00, and I still think it's unlikely I get there this race. I haven't put in the required work to get that time. I think its more likely that I run somewhere around 46:45... I may try a fast paced run tomorrow and see how it feels... The goal 10k is the one in April, this 10k was supposed to be my way into the faster corral, but you need proof of a sub 45:00 10k to get into it. So I will end up a little behind those folks. Maybe I should watch a running movie tonight to get excited again...

You got it! Since it's a non-critical run and for possible corral placement, I say just run and keep running and see what happens.

Running movies that have motivated me and put things in perspective...

McFarland, USA
Desert Runners
Unbroken
Usain Bolt: The Fastest Man Alive

Still to watch for me: Prefontaine and 4 Minute Mile

QOTD: Anyone carry items not directly related to running? Protection from animals or people? Where did you get them?

Usually a razor sharp flip knife. Never had to use it *knocks on wood*. I run in a very good area. However there was a brief time there were a couple escapees around my part of the state and I ran with a small sidearm (I run early morning, like 4/5 am). Outside of those two, nothing out of the ordinary.

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?

Last movie - Predator. Not much of a scifi guy but I LOVE this series and Alien.

Book - Currently reading "Usain Bolt- Faster Than Lightning." Guy sounds like such a cool person and I'll be rooting for him to triple 3-peat in Rio.

Last edited:
you = singular
yall = plural

It is a very useful word. "You" being both singular and plural can be problematic, but "yall" clears things up. That being said, I grew up in Texas (although I've been in the Chicago area now for longer than I can remember).

I'm from Pittsburgh, so "yinz" is used for singular or plural. I guess if I moved south, I would have to use yinz'all! LOL

I know this is a running thread, but a lot of you seem to be cyclists as well, so I thought I'd ask for some bike advice! I mentioned a while back that I'm trying to bike more while I'm out of commission for running, and I'm also thinking about incorporating more biking for cross training once I'm good to run again. I might even start thinking about a triathlon a while down the line. Anyway, I've been shopping for a road bike. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and most new bikes seem to be expensive enough for it to be tough for me to also afford the other necessary gear. So I found a used 2005 Trek 1000 for $450 at a local bike shop. The fitting and everything was nice and thorough, and the salesman even came with me on the test ride to watch how I was riding and then changed out the part where the handlebars attach so the reach was a little longer. I'm feeling good about it, and it seems much less risky than buying a used bike on Craigslist or something. Does that seem like a relatively good deal to those of you who know bikes? Any other advice about buying my first road bike/what I should make sure to get as far as gear and clothes? TIA!
Doesn't sound like a bad deal. You could probably find something for less money elsewhere, but you are paying a bit of a premium by purchasing at the LBS. For your first bike, that premium is worth it in my opinion. They will get you in the right bike and ensure the fit is good (sounds like they have already done this and know what they are doing), which makes sure you actually enjoy riding the bike instead of getting a "better" bike that doesn't fit right and collects dust. Trek is a good brand and the 1000 looks pretty good...aluminum frame paired with a carbon fork is a nice pick for your first bike.
If you feel good about it I say go for it!

I agree with everything @CheapRunnerMike said. Getting a good fitting is very important. The best bike is the one that fits you, not necessarily the "best" bike. I'd recommend going back to the shop after a month or two of riding it so they can adjust your fit again in case there is anything causing you discomfort. For gear and clothes, here's a list of things I think would be helpful for you.

- a quality helmet, the one area in which I wouldn't want to buy the cheapest one available
- a good set of clipless pedals, cleats, and shoes
- bib shorts (they stay in place better than ones without the bib)
- spare tube, CO2 cartridge, inflator for changing a flat on the road
- stand pump for your house
- new tires (you ought to be able to get the LBS to give you these as part of buying the bike unless you know the existing ones are new)

It's a pretty significant outlay to get started with a bike compared to a pair of socks and shoes with running, but aside from the tires, you shouldn't have to replace any of the gear for a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter