The Running Thread - 2016

ATTQOD: Last movie I saw in theater was "Daddy's Home" with Ferrell/Wahlberg....my teenage son wanted to go and he enjoyed it.
"Sicario" was last DVD rental, very intense.

"Sex on the Moon" was last book that I read, interesting and based on real life story of a young man working at NASA that tries to steal and sell moon rocks.

QOTD: What did you do for the Super Bowl?

ATTQOTD: I purchased a sack of oysters and shucked nearly all of them eating them raw, chargrilled, and fried! It was a good day.

I ate too much food, lamented eating too much food, ate more food anyway, then watched an anticlimactic football game between two teams I don't care about. So pretty much par for the course.

Man United/Chelsea and the Phoenix Open were good though.

We bought a bunch of appetizers from a local restuarant and ate that and watched in the comfort of our home. No party or anything just my family. The game wasn't incredibly exciting and the commercials were just ok.

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?
Just watched 'Inside Out' the other night while doing a 2-hour ride on the bike trainer. My wife was on her bike for the first hour and my son was lounging on the couch :)
I read a lot, and I love crazy Florida crime fiction (yes, that is a genre!). I'm just about finished reading my favourite author's latest novel, 'Coconut Cowboy' by Tim Dorsey.

QOTD: Anyone carry items not directly related to running? Protection from animals or people? Where did you get them?
ATTQOTD: At one point the popular running area was having a bit of a crime problem. Two guys would ride around and stop runners and take their phones. It's one of the reasons I started leaving my phone in my truck and use a GPS watch. The local running store did carry mace for those who wanted it.

I'm in a bit of a running slump this week. I know I should be out getting some miles in, but keep finding excuses not to. This morning I'm heading to NOLA for the Mardi Gras. It's going to be a long day. I'm not a fan of parades but DW loves it so I am going to do my best to enjoy catching cheap plastic that adults downtown will expose themselves for. Luckily we won't be downtown and hopefully we avoid getting shot. New Orleans crime is a little out of control. Sorry for the rant.

Good luck again racers!

Hope you are out of your slump.

ATTQOD. I don't really carry anything when I run other than fuel, phone and my car keys.

Back from my icey 5k. Soooo cold and sooo hilly and so much sand (yes sand!) But I got 29:20 and 6th in my age. I'm proud of my effort and although not a PR...certainly was the highest elevation change I've ever done and I attacked those hills...those endless hills. We ran from a lake/beach up to a bluff! My hubby beat his last time so we are happy. I feel in a good spot to be even better in more normal conditions this spring :)
Congrats on the placement.

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?

ATTQOTD: Last book I read was Pre, and the last movie I watched was Entourage.

ATTQOD:
Book Start with Why
Movie Star Wars Force awakens

Thanks!

So, yesterday was only my second trail race, and also my second ultra (my first was also my first trail race). Well, it wasn't really an 'ultra' unless you wanted it to be. It was a 'time' race - in this case, 8 hours - and the only objective was to run as many loops (two options, a short 4.7M loop and a long 8M loop) as you wanted/could do in 8 hours. It was cold at the start, and though I dislike the cold generally, I love running in it (to a point), because I know I'm so much faster in it, and my core usually heats up enough that I actually start to feel pretty good. This wasn't really a 'goal' race for me, but more of a tune-up/dress rehearsal for my first 50 miler in April. Still, I wanted to get to 40 miles in 8 hours. To keep it brief, I missed the mark, but got close, running 4 long loops and one short loop for 36.7, still the longest run I've ever done. Under the rules, a loop had to completed before the cut-off in order for it to count, so while I could've physically done one more long loop and hit 40, I was in danger of not getting back in time for to make the cut-off, so I opted to take the short loop instead. I'm slightly disappointed to fall short of my goal, but I learned a few things, the most important being just how much harder trail running really is! What with the constantly changing terrain and footing, with roots, rocks, puddles, horse manure, and other things to dodge on the trail, I never really got in a 'rhythm' like I can on the road, and my legs are absolutely wrecked today. Out on the trail, the fatigue set in so much faster, and so much harder! It's much harder than road running (at least for me), and the effect on the hips and thighs feels different. I definitely need to run more trails before April! Other than that, it was a good time. I got a new distance PR, and the organizers gave a commemorative drinking glass to anyone who ran 50K or more. Plus, trail racers are really friendly people. I've found most runners to be, as a group, great folks, with VERY few competitive jerks, but for trail runners, the friendliness factor seemed even higher. It was just a friendly, casual atmosphere, with people out with their dogs/kids/friends/etc. having a good time running in the woods and cheering each other on. If you haven't tried a trail race, consider it. You may really enjoy it!

I completely agree on trails working different muscles and being harder. I have my first trail ultra coming up in a couple months. I think because a lot of trail runners camp out the night before the run and because the field size is smaller it makes for a much friendlier more intimate race.

Last week I saw The Martian while flying home. I had been waiting to see it until it moved to the complimentary list, as I am way too cheap to pay for a in flight movie. It was a great movie. I hear it is also an excellent book.

I really want to see that movie

ATTQOTD: I purchased a sack of oysters and shucked nearly all of them eating them raw, chargrilled, and fried! It was a good day.

Went to a party at a friends house through half time. Then went home and watched the second half.

What would you consider a fair/normal price would be for a local 5k event? I ask because a race that used to only cost $25 at its non-early registration fee time opened up early registration at $32 and beyond the early phase its $42.

We bought a bunch of appetizers from a local restuarant and ate that and watched in the comfort of our home. No party or anything just my family. The game wasn't incredibly exciting and the commercials were just ok.
Agree 100% with this!

Hope you are out of your slump.
Hoping to hit the pavement today...

Last edited:
Thanks!

So, yesterday was only my second trail race, and also my second ultra (my first was also my first trail race). Well, it wasn't really an 'ultra' unless you wanted it to be. It was a 'time' race - in this case, 8 hours - and the only objective was to run as many loops (two options, a short 4.7M loop and a long 8M loop) as you wanted/could do in 8 hours. It was cold at the start, and though I dislike the cold generally, I love running in it (to a point), because I know I'm so much faster in it, and my core usually heats up enough that I actually start to feel pretty good. This wasn't really a 'goal' race for me, but more of a tune-up/dress rehearsal for my first 50 miler in April. Still, I wanted to get to 40 miles in 8 hours. To keep it brief, I missed the mark, but got close, running 4 long loops and one short loop for 36.7, still the longest run I've ever done. Under the rules, a loop had to completed before the cut-off in order for it to count, so while I could've physically done one more long loop and hit 40, I was in danger of not getting back in time for to make the cut-off, so I opted to take the short loop instead. I'm slightly disappointed to fall short of my goal, but I learned a few things, the most important being just how much harder trail running really is! What with the constantly changing terrain and footing, with roots, rocks, puddles, horse manure, and other things to dodge on the trail, I never really got in a 'rhythm' like I can on the road, and my legs are absolutely wrecked today. Out on the trail, the fatigue set in so much faster, and so much harder! It's much harder than road running (at least for me), and the effect on the hips and thighs feels different. I definitely need to run more trails before April! Other than that, it was a good time. I got a new distance PR, and the organizers gave a commemorative drinking glass to anyone who ran 50K or more. Plus, trail racers are really friendly people. I've found most runners to be, as a group, great folks, with VERY few competitive jerks, but for trail runners, the friendliness factor seemed even higher. It was just a friendly, casual atmosphere, with people out with their dogs/kids/friends/etc. having a good time running in the woods and cheering each other on. If you haven't tried a trail race, consider it. You may really enjoy it!

I couldn't agree with you more! The trail running community is awesome. Great support, low key and fun and still some incredible athletes! I have not run an ultra yet. I have done several trail half marathons. They are much more challenging for me, but hard to beat running in the woods. This summer I am running my first trail marathon and then my first ultra in the fall. Excited for the challenge.

Great job on your race. That is a lot of trail miles for 8 hours!

What would you consider a fair/normal price would be for a local 5k event? I ask because a race that used to only cost $25 at its no-early registration fee time opened up early registration at $32 and beyond the early phase its $42.
Totally depends on the charity, bling, shirts and other freebies. If they have a nice tee and medal, and it is for a good charity, I'd pay more than $50.

ATTQOTD: Watched just long enough to realize "my" chosen team for the day wasn't going to win, then switched to Downton Abbey lol!

What would you consider a fair/normal price would be for a local 5k event? I ask because a race that used to only cost $25 at its no-early registration fee time opened up early registration at $32 and beyond the early phase its $42.
I really don't know anymore. I've watched the pricing on local races skyrocket the last couple years, too - $40 for a ho-hum 5K is starting to feel normal-ish, but not normal enough that I don't hesitate big-time to plunk it down.

Totally depends on the charity, bling, shirts and other freebies. If they have a nice tee and medal, and it is for a good charity, I'd pay more than $50.

Decent tee shirt, post race food, no medal, and its a for profit race... In the grand scheme of things $32 isn't all that bad, but most of the races for charity offer at least the same value for $20 - $25. I'll probably end up running it, just was curious what is normal for most 5k races.

Decent tee shirt, post race food, no medal, and its a for profit race... In the grand scheme of things $32 isn't all that bad, but most of the races for charity offer at least the same value for $20 - $25. I'll probably end up running it, just was curious what is normal for most 5k races.
Sorry, but I really don't think that I can help. I run in three types of 5k races - corporate (paid by my company), nationally organized (like Runner's World), and Disney. I have never run in a "for profit" race of any kind, or even in a small local 5k. The 5k races that I do enter tend to be expensive, though.

I've run quite a few local 5k's (suburban for charities, less than 1000 people running) and they all seem to fall between $20 and $35 total. The majority have no medal, some have cotton unisex t-shirts but some have nice tech ones. My race this weekend had a really really nice big finisher mug and was only $25.
I've ran a couple "fun runs" with no chip time and none of those were over $30.

However, I also live near Chicago and those small local races have to compete with the BIG productions and BIG Medals of the city races that have expos almost every weekend of race season. And those prices are kind of yowch, especially when you have to park downtown to get your packet at the expo and that may set you back $20 easily on its own. Unless you are like me and park far away and public transit or walk to an expo (annoying.)

I'm lucky to live in an area with a running club that puts on local races which are free to members. But they're really low key, no shirts, no medals, just come and run. The other 5ks around here seem to be in the $25 - $40 range. If it's not a charity run but a fun run like a color run or something, I'll keep an eye on groupon and living social to see if I can get a discounted entry. That is the only way I participate in those.

ATTQOTD: My hubby and I made pork shoulder in the dutch oven (grocer was out of pork butt; carnitas was our original plan.) We made them with oranges and limes and spices then crisped them up in the broiler with their reduced juices and served on corn tortillas with chihuahua cheese :)
We let our kiddo play I-pad and then destroy our basement by playing with EVERY toy while we attempted to watch football. No party,just us. We bought chips and dip but never touched them. I'll try to be good but will be hard with them staring at me during the Bachelor tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter