The Running Thread - 2016

So yeah I know I've 'turned a corner' when I'm trying to figure out how to get my milage in for February knowing that I'm going to have to have my gallbladder out within the next 2 weeks (hoping for the day right after princess/Gasparilla)

as while I'll prob miss a 10k it'd give me 4 weeks before my next 'important' race (10 miler that also has a 17-18 min mile pace limit) and 8 weeks before dark side half (where my placement should give me good enough time buffer)

But if math holds I'll have 78 of my 84 miles in before surgery. :)

Happy Mardi Gras to everyone. I know the QOTD have not been focused on running the last few days, so I apologize about that. I will get back to the running questions soon.

QOTD: What is something very unique to where you live that is not common in other parts of the country?

ATTQOTD: The food! Just a few items from where I grew up are boudin, cracklins, and crawfish. There is a reason Louisiana is overweight...

QOTD: What is something very unique to where you live that is not common in other parts of the country?

Nothing really. If I'm really digging I'll stay in the food arena and say an irrational affinity for Texas-themed chain restaurants.

I agree with everything @CheapRunnerMike said. Getting a good fitting is very important. The best bike is the one that fits you, not necessarily the "best" bike. I'd recommend going back to the shop after a month or two of riding it so they can adjust your fit again in case there is anything causing you discomfort. For gear and clothes, here's a list of things I think would be helpful for you.

- a quality helmet, the one area in which I wouldn't want to buy the cheapest one available
- a good set of clipless pedals, cleats, and shoes
- bib shorts (they stay in place better than ones without the bib)
- spare tube, CO2 cartridge, inflator for changing a flat on the road
- stand pump for your house
- new tires (you ought to be able to get the LBS to give you these as part of buying the bike unless you know the existing ones are new)

It's a pretty significant outlay to get started with a bike compared to a pair of socks and shoes with running, but aside from the tires, you shouldn't have to replace any of the gear for a long time.

This is all good advice. $450 is more than I would pay for a 10+ year old bike depending on components (see ebay for a good idea what people are asking for a similar bike, but note that even in that marketplace people have overhyped ideas about the value of their used equipment) but getting a good fitting bike is a great thing and if the store will support you for tune-ups for awhile that is even better. Negotiate with the store to get some of the items above thrown in for the $450 such as helmet, pedals, change kit.

South-side Chicago:
1) This is train central for the US. I cross 7 train tracks to get to work every morning and 8 to get home. I sit and wait for trains to cross pretty much almost every day at some point. And I'm not counting the trains that I drive under. We are all very good at public transportation too.

2) We also do not allow ketchup on our hot dogs. Maybe if you are a kid under the age of 8, who lives in the suburbs, and parents were raised in Indiana. But once you hit 8, sorry kid! Also anyone who thinks deep dish is the best Chicago pizza, never had thin crust south-side pizza. The deep dish thing is lies! I live by at least 10 really really good non-chain pizza places and several have been on the food channel/anthony bourdain/etc and none of them are known for deep dish.

3) We have this thing called "lake effect" weather. It could be totally different weather from the moment you leave your house to moment you are closer to the lake in the city...like 5 miles away. I always have like 3 types of jackets in my car at all times.

4) We live in "parishes"...I live in "Redeemer" since my house is closest to Most Holy Redeemer church. There are people who do not go to these churches that still call out the dividing lines by parish.

5) All the cops and fireman live by me. They have to live in the city but if they want a house with a lawn they go to the southside or northwest side. There's also an irish flag on almost every house in my neighborhood. (yes, I am also Irish and the godfather of my child is a cop who is dating a cop and my husband comes from a cop family and my boss is married to a copy, and they are all irish)

6) We all mostly live in brick bungalows.

7) Once it gets about 50 degrees out there are block parties on different streets pretty much every weekend until school starts in the Fall. You can tell by the pick up trucks used to block off streets very "unofficially."

I know there are so many more but that's what came to mind first.

Do you miss Mardi Gras? I am ok for one day in NOLA and that's enough parades for me. You cant pay me to go to Bourbon St. until its all over. I did it once and while I think its a great experience, its not something I'll do again. In my old angry man voice "Get off my lawn!".
Its really all about the king cake! I had the baby in my piece at lunch today. Glad I saw him before I took the bite.

I've never been there for Mardi Gras, and never will be, but I do love NOLA. We just spent a couple of days there with the kids before heading out on a cruise. So much to love about that city!!

ATTQOTD: Hmmmm, that's tough. I live in the Ozarks (which came from a phonetic spelling of aux arc which French explorers used to describe the region), but not sure what's especially unique. I live in Springfield, MO which is the original home of Bass Pro Shops, for any of you outdoorsman. That's all I got. :)

ATTQOTD: San Antonio has the River Walk which is great. Like most people here in SA we don't go down there a lot, but one advantage of living in a town that is a tourist destination is we get a lot of cool events. Over the past 10 years I've been to a couple of Final Fours (Men's and Women's) and other NCAA championships.

Well I guess cheese! And dairy products for that matter. Also beer we have a lot of beer. I do like how Wisconsin gets all four seasons it can be spring one day winter the next, fall the day after and summer the at after that. Food here in general is great whether it's brats, cheese curds, burgers, and custard! We are well known for our custard. I almost forgot about our sports teams! We love our Packers, Brewers and Badgers!

I've spent my whole life either outside of Philly or outside of NYC so between the two places pizza and cheese steak for food. Outside of that Philly has so much history with regards to being the birth place of the nation and NYC's subway and broadway are some of my favorite things.

There are people who allow ketchup on hot dogs? Blasphemers!
I don't put anything on a really good hot dog or hamburger. If the meat isn't good enough to stand alone, I add both ketchup and mustard (yellow). It is a Southern thing - everyone that I knew added both growing up. My family up here thinks that I am nuts.

I don't put anything on a really good hot dog or hamburger. If the meat isn't good enough to stand alone, I add both ketchup and mustard (yellow). It is a Southern thing - everyone that I knew added both growing up. My family up here thinks that I am nuts.

I have no issue with condiments or ketchup. There are many things that ketchup can be used on to positive effect. A hot dog is not one of them.

I'm being a little facetious, of course; to my great horror and shame most of my family will put ketchup on a hot dog. It is my duty to shame them appropriately when such action is taken.

I live in a large city that is also still a legit cow town. Our police officers downtown ride horses, and it's not uncommon to see many riders out on the trail on pretty days. We still have an operating stockyards, complete with a daily cattle drive, weekly rodeo and such. On top of that, we have a bunch of pretty significant historical designations.

Like the old Hotel Texas downtown (it's now a Hilton) was where JFK spent his last night on Earth. That's right - JFK was alive when he left Fort Worth on that fateful morning ... thanks a lot, Dallas.

Also, The Fort was like the Las Vegas of the Wild, Wild, West. It was basically the last big stopover before nothingness for cattle drivers and others heading due West. All the big names came through here to party at the brothels and saloons at Hell's Half Acre - which small portions still remain in our proper downtown - like Wyatt Earp and Butch Cassidy.

In fact, my neighborhood is an old cattle baron neighborhood - almost all of the houses were built between 1890-1910 (my little house was built in 1907!), and have been either maintained or refurbished in the style.

We also do not allow ketchup on our hot dogs.
I not only put ketchup on my hot dog, I also dip it in some as well. I love ketchup!!!

You did not even mention beignets
Those things are awesome, but not really something from the part of the state I live in. It's really a NOLA thing.

We live in "parishes"...I live in "Redeemer" since my house is closest to Most Holy Redeemer church. There are people who do not go to these churches that still call out the dividing lines by parish.
I thought Louisiana was the only state to have parishes and not counties...

Do not live there currently, but at Alabama, we win National Championships.

Roll Tide!

I can not support this and I am getting very tired of not beating yall in football.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter