The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: Anyone carry items not directly related to running? Protection from animals or people? Where did you get them?
ATTQOTD: At one point the popular running area was having a bit of a crime problem. Two guys would ride around and stop runners and take their phones. It's one of the reasons I started leaving my phone in my truck and use a GPS watch. The local running store did carry mace for those who wanted it.

I'm in a bit of a running slump this week. I know I should be out getting some miles in, but keep finding excuses not to. This morning I'm heading to NOLA for the Mardi Gras. It's going to be a long day. I'm not a fan of parades but DW loves it so I am going to do my best to enjoy catching cheap plastic that adults downtown will expose themselves for. Luckily we won't be downtown and hopefully we avoid getting shot. New Orleans crime is a little out of control. Sorry for the rant.

Good luck again racers!

I use to work as a park ranger in Northern California. The positive was the park I worked in had several hundred miles of trails through the redwoods and to the coast. The bad news is that the park was dealing with real issues with mountain lions. In fact a visitor was attacked the day I accepted the transfer to the park! Since I ran alone, I ran in the middle of the day and carried a knife on my belt. It would have made no difference but it made me feel a little better. Now in Michigan, living in the suburbs the worst I have to worry about is a patch of ice or maybe a squirrel with attitude.

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?

ATTQOTD: Last book I read was Pre, and the last movie I watched was Entourage.

It's been a while since I've read a good book on my own, with having to read things in school I often don't read on my own time much. As for movies the last movie I saw was The Force Awakens.

I am an escapist - maybe that is why I love running. :tilt:

Anyway, I am an avid reader and movie goer. Yesterday I saw "The Finest Hours" :sail:. My nephew is in the Coast Guard, so that was a must see for our family. Relationships aside, I thought it was a great movie. Slow start, but great character development and story.

On the books front, I read all types of books - everything from non-fiction to almost every genre of fiction (no romance - :crazy2:). I am currently rereading the Harry Potter books (want to refresh my memory of the universe of Harry Potter before "Fantastic Beasts" comes out). Between each one I will read a new book - finished "World War Z" last night.

Book: Lost in Shangri-La, about a downed plane in PNG during WWII
Movie: The Force Awakens

For a really good movie, I recommend Ex Machina. Really well done.

I read a lot and the last good book that I'd recommend is "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared".
I haven't seen any movies in a while but "Hail Caesar" looks good.

Ugh. I keep messing up my replies. Somehow my reply is part of the quoted part. I'll figure this out eventually. In the meantime, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Good luck to all the racers tomorrow and Sunday. Looking forward to reading how it went!

Thanks!

So, yesterday was only my second trail race, and also my second ultra (my first was also my first trail race). Well, it wasn't really an 'ultra' unless you wanted it to be. It was a 'time' race - in this case, 8 hours - and the only objective was to run as many loops (two options, a short 4.7M loop and a long 8M loop) as you wanted/could do in 8 hours. It was cold at the start, and though I dislike the cold generally, I love running in it (to a point), because I know I'm so much faster in it, and my core usually heats up enough that I actually start to feel pretty good. This wasn't really a 'goal' race for me, but more of a tune-up/dress rehearsal for my first 50 miler in April. Still, I wanted to get to 40 miles in 8 hours. To keep it brief, I missed the mark, but got close, running 4 long loops and one short loop for 36.7, still the longest run I've ever done. Under the rules, a loop had to completed before the cut-off in order for it to count, so while I could've physically done one more long loop and hit 40, I was in danger of not getting back in time for to make the cut-off, so I opted to take the short loop instead. I'm slightly disappointed to fall short of my goal, but I learned a few things, the most important being just how much harder trail running really is! What with the constantly changing terrain and footing, with roots, rocks, puddles, horse manure, and other things to dodge on the trail, I never really got in a 'rhythm' like I can on the road, and my legs are absolutely wrecked today. Out on the trail, the fatigue set in so much faster, and so much harder! It's much harder than road running (at least for me), and the effect on the hips and thighs feels different. I definitely need to run more trails before April! Other than that, it was a good time. I got a new distance PR, and the organizers gave a commemorative drinking glass to anyone who ran 50K or more. Plus, trail racers are really friendly people. I've found most runners to be, as a group, great folks, with VERY few competitive jerks, but for trail runners, the friendliness factor seemed even higher. It was just a friendly, casual atmosphere, with people out with their dogs/kids/friends/etc. having a good time running in the woods and cheering each other on. If you haven't tried a trail race, consider it. You may really enjoy it!

Worst race I've had in a while today.

Don't forget the racer's motto: A bad day at the races is till better than a good day sitting on your tail! (Or something like that). :thumbsup2 to you for getting out there!!

This was the best part, right around mile 5 or so:

Probably should've just stayed there.

Cold is my kryptonite.

:rotfl:
That's awesome, what a great "aid" station!! I would've been sorely tempted myself!!

Just finished The Girl on the Train.
On my list for this week:
The Cartel
The Nightingale
Modern Romance
All the Bright Places

As for movies, I'm trying to watch most of the Oscar nominated stuff, but all of the movies seem so boring. I watched "Straight Outta Compton" the other day, and am in the middle of "Spotlight" right now.

I'm also binge-watching "Game of Thrones" for the first time as a bit in doing to troll my friends, so that takes up some time.

Higher education ruined me for reading. It pretty much just puts me to sleep. I tried to read the Song of Ice and Fire books but could't really get into them. Between the first book being so similar to the TV Show and my skepticism that Martin will ever finish the series, I just couldn't get excited about reading them.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens and am interested to see what they do with the narrative issues they have created for themselves. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. The movie at least had the right look to it in that it wasn't obviously filmed entirely in front of a green screen. Wish I had something a little less obvious, but I don't watch too many movies either. On the opposite end of the spectrum I just saw "A Streetcar Named Desire" for the first time and, as someone who generally likes Old Hollywood stuff, I was a little shocked at how much I didn't like it.

QOTD: What is the last good book you have read or movie you saw?.

Good? Well just finished rereading all the Harry Potter books for the hundredth time.. I did like the Martian and orphan train for fairly recent new reads..

Movie? I really liked good dinosaur for theatre movie and Martian for dvd movie..

But while conditions at my race today were borderline miserable still finished faster than expected at 3:11 :) and that included a unexpected water bridge so happy

I'm in the middle of reading The Vault of Walt and next up is the new Bill Bryson book. I just bought it Friday and can't remember the name! I have to read one hour before bed (paper not screens) bc screens don't help insomnia.

I had a good time yesterday at my Groundhog 13.1. It was a nice winter day with the temp around 29 and sunny skies, no wind. My official time was 2:33:56. I ran it slower because the trails were hard packed snow with some ice here and there, so it was harder on the ankles & calves, but the hex screws in my shoes worked great. I also thoroughly enjoyed the hot chocolate, cookies, and beer at the end.
:flower:

Last week I saw The Martian while flying home. I had been waiting to see it until it moved to the complimentary list, as I am way too cheap to pay for a in flight movie. It was a great movie. I hear it is also an excellent book.

QOTD. Last movie was Interstellar. Have not gone to see the Star Wars movie yet. Not a real big book reader.

I've been reading a lot of tween books lately alongside my son so we can discuss them together. So most recent books have been Percy Jackson series and the John Grisham tween series. Last good book I read for my own enjoyment, I reread Unbroken not too long ago. One of my favorite books.

Last movie I saw was The Force Awakens. Still not sure if it was good or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter