• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else notice the Kids Races have moved to Epcot? That is fun considering the 5K is there that morning too, but where in Epcot would the kids races be? I think they start at 8:45am so the park would be open. I just can't imagine where all the little kiddies can run!

Also did anyone at Wine and Dine (or any other race expos lately) see the kids medal for Princess weekend?

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

I'd guess that the kids races would be in the parking lot at the end of the 5K- in that area. Possibly in the World Show Case, as that typically doesn't open until 11. But my guess is the parking lot.

I just ran in my first 10k this past sat, on i course that was all hills (i dont think i have ever seen so many hills before). Not gonna lie im kinda proud of myself. I finished with a time of 1:12:55 at a 11:45 pace.

I must confess that i went into this race a little under trained. Sandy kind of turned my training upside down and i had only ever completed a 5 mile run previous to the race. This race made me more determined to get back to my training schedule. I just started running for the first time ever this past July in prep for the princess half. 6 months ago i would never have imagined myself running 6.2 mile let alone training for 13.1 :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for all of the positivity here, it is so nice to read everyone encouraging replies. They have given me the courage to run these race as a beginner and have taught me to be patient with myself.

That sounds like my race? Are you in NJ? If so, you rocked it, lady!! (Even if you're not, you still rocked it ;) ) That was a HARD course for me too and with Sandy, I hadn't prepped in the past week & half. It was my first 10k too. I finished at 1:21 at a 13 pace. You kicked my butt ;) CONGRATS!!!!

I just realized I'm an idiot. I ran YESTERDAY not Saturday. So, not the same race. I think all the soreness post race got to my brain. ;) Even so- that's an awesome time that I'd die for!! :)

Just curious, not sure if it has been discussed or not. Where is everyone staying and why? I notice that the expo is at CSR. Anyone staying there to be close to the expo?

How did I not see that? :rolleyes: We were looking at CSR or POFQ (unless a good enough AP discount comes out to move to an Epcot resort ;)), but this just decided it for me. We'll book CSR. :thumbsup2

I'd guess that the kids races would be in the parking lot at the end of the 5K- in that area. Possibly in the World Show Case, as that typically doesn't open until 11. But my guess is the parking lot.

Wasn't the weather great this morning in TX ?:cool1: have eye dr appt so couldn't get the run in early but it will still be much less humid this afternoon !

Good point re World Showcase. That would be cool!

Has anyone here ever done kids races? I have 2 kids running in different groups and obviously I am hoping to see/run with both of them. Is this possible or do all the races happen at the same time? That would be chaos LOL, so assuming/hoping they stagger the starts by age group?

Also I wasn't planning on this being a park day...but now with being at Epcot, I am wondering if we should do Future World for a while? But I also need to get to the Expo though AND tuck in early since we'll be getting up in the middle of the night essentially! Decisions, decisions...

Jodi

Just curious, not sure if it has been discussed or not. Where is everyone staying and why? I notice that the expo is at CSR. Anyone staying there to be close to the expo?

DH and I are staying at the Contmporary as we are big fans of the hotel (and concierge level... A nice present from DH ! Also got a big airline discount !). We always get a car when we go to Disney so we can scoot around on our own without waiting for buses. Will still take bus to race though ) anybody else staying at contemporary ?

I agree, I am very excited to have the race retreat prior to the race for all of the reasons that you mentioned. But it never occured to me that I'll probably be at the end of the pack and that the race retreat might be closed shortly after I finish! Sometimes I'm not super hungry right after I run so I might not even be up for a hot breakfast right away. Give me an hour or two though and I'll be ravenous! But you're right, I'll probably be so happy to have finished (I hope!!) that it won't bother me too much. ;)

Ooohhhh...hadn't thought about when race retrat ends. Didn't see an end time at the run disney site so does any other veteran runners know ?

Wasn't the weather great this morning in TX ?:cool1: have eye dr appt so couldn't get the run in early but it will still be much less humid this afternoon !

Yes! It's LOVELY! Just don't want it to get much colder. LOL

Well that's serendipitous! I booked Coronado Springs because I liked the look of the rooms and my husband liked the look of the pool -- it'll be our first time staying on-property at WDW. And now that will save a bit of time getting package pickup sorted out on the Saturday before hitting the parks.

Semi-related question for anyone who has stayed at CSR before: does Cafe Rix (or other on-site shop) have anything suitable as a pre-race snack that we could pick up the night before? Right now, I'm expecting that we'll have to be self-sufficient and bring our pre-race food from home, but we usually want to have some protein an hour before a race.

Erin

Ooohhhh...hadn't thought about when race retrat ends. Didn't see an end time at the run disney site so does any other veteran runners know ?

It says on the RunDisney site that the race retreat goes until 10:30. Someone else had mentioned that if you're in the last corral and you're bringing up the rear (which I will probably be doing!) that we'll be cutting it close to the ending time!

Well that's serendipitous! I booked Coronado Springs because I liked the look of the rooms and my husband liked the look of the pool -- it'll be our first time staying on-property at WDW. And now that will save a bit of time getting package pickup sorted out on the Saturday before hitting the parks.

Semi-related question for anyone who has stayed at CSR before: does Cafe Rix (or other on-site shop) have anything suitable as a pre-race snack that we could pick up the night before? Right now, I'm expecting that we'll have to be self-sufficient and bring our pre-race food from home, but we usually want to have some protein an hour before a race.

Erin

This will be my first time at CSR as well. However, in years past at the host resorts we've stayed at, quick service at the resoort has been open early for the runners...I usually stop there on my way to the bus to grab a banana. I'm sure they will do this again, however I still always bring some of my own stuff from home that I like to have before a long run...peanut butter, bagel, etc. I could probably get that stuff there too, but I prefer to have the same brand/type that I always buy and am already used to. I just bring one bagel in a ziploc and buy the box of snack-sized Jif peanut butter so I don't take up any more room than I have to in my luggage...it's easy to carry to the race start area too if you prefer to eat out there closer to start time. I even bring my own Gatorade so I can have the flavor I prefer :rolleyes:

Since I have never been, I was looking forward to going to the Wide World of Sports for the expo. Does anyone know why the moved the venue ??

I've been dealing with these shin splints for about two months now after doing very hard hill workouts two nights in a row. I've done everything you could do for them and then I finally thought they were getting better. I noticed a lump on my shin and went to my family doc who said it was just a muscle knot so I should ice and massage it but I could still run. I had two more runs after that and the last run was grueling. I was supposed to do three miles but could only do two and I *should* have done none! My body was telling me that something just wasn't right so I went to a sports medicine doctor on Friday and he took an xray right away (which my family doc did not do). From the xray he said that he's almost positive it's a stress fracture. :sad2: He said it looks like a healing stress fracture which is good but if he can see it on an xray that means it's been there for a while. I'm having an MRI done on Friday to see how bad it is but either way, I'm out of training for a very long time. I won't know just how long or what the plan is until after the MRI. I told him that I was registered for a the PHM in Feb and he said that he'll try to get me there but can't promise anything. He also said that seeing as I'm lactose intolerant, perhaps I haven't been getting enough calcium which doesn't help matters. And I'll fully admit that I'm stupid and it had not occurred to me to take calcium supplements. How dumb am I?

I'm so depressed right now. Before those stupid hill workouts I was doing great and having no pain. I had some nice times doing several 5Ks and now I'll be sidelined for at least 6 weeks. If I can't run I still plan to walk it - I just need to stay ahead of the sweepers!

:hug: I am so sorry. I hope your doc can get you on track for the phm... but at least if you have to walk it you can still have fun doing so!!!

It seems like I have had a lot of shoe drama as well. I had Asics Nimbus 13s, a neutral cushion, which I loved and they never gave me any problems. I ended up with shin splints because I was stupidly pounding my feet hard on the ground doing some downhill runs, not because of the shoe. I decided to get new shoes because I thought there was a chance it was the shoes. I went through 4 different pairs of shoes! I was told that I measure for a stability shoe so all of those shoes were stability and they caused tons of other knee and calf and ankle pains. I was finally put back into a neutral cushion (a Brooks Glycerine 10) and I really like them. I also tried the Nimbus 14 and hated it compared to my Nimbus 13. I should have just stuck to those! Perhaps I should just go online and stock up on the 13s before they are all gone?

Until I went to try on shoes this last weekend, I did not realize just how traumatized by the whole shoe shopping thing I was. I think the stocking up idea isn't such a bad one ;)

I had the exact question about the retreat. I'll be walking the race so I know that I won't finish earlier than 3:30 and I'll be so thankful to NOT be in the last corral. They truly might be shutting the place down by the time I finish!

However, the greatest benefit of the retreat will be, for me, before the race - to calm my nerves, offer protection from the weather, allow me to take an earlier bus so I don't have to worry about traffic jams, and give me fewer porta - potty lines and bag-check lines. I figure that, after the race, I'll be so relieved to finish that not having a hot breakfast, while disappointing because I love me some hot breakfasts, won't be that big of a deal. My expectations are set fairly low on that score.

Who knows - I may discover that the retreat was a big waste of a hundred bucks and never have to do it again. But, because this is my first Disney half-marathon, I wanted to err in the side of caution.

Aside from not knowing if I will actually do the phm - I did not sign up for the retreat because I worried that for those bringing up the rear it would not be worth it. I didn't really realize that there was a prerace benefit. With that in mind, I would think that alone could be worth it...even if there is nothing left and the retreat is closed by the time one finishes the race.

WHAAAAAAT???? I hadn't even noticed that at all....and as luck would have it we are staying there!!! Yaaaaay, that should be convenient! I never even thought to look...figured it would be where all the other expos are at WWOS. Wonder why they are changing that?

Having only done the one disney race, I didn't realize they were all at WWOS. It seems like staying at CSR would be an added benefit!

What is CSR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
Coronado Springs Resort

I totally missed that too!! I have my color-coded spreadsheet all set up for WWOS!! Yikes!! Thanks for mentioning this!!!

I am staying at BCV because my whole family is coming so we need a 2 bdrm.

My dh has agreed to go with me if I work out the details. So I am a mad fool researching all my options. One of his demands was minimal if no park days. :rolleyes: So I was trying to look at when and where everything was to get an idea of how to fill our days should we go.

As for places to stay... BCV is in the running. Just have to see if I can rent points for it. If that doesn't work, CSR would be high in my list of choices.

Yay! I too didi not realize the expo was at CSR. we picked there because it was something new for us. Just makes me all the more excited. We will be in double digits this week. :)

Oh my double digits?! Very cool... It means I have to get this figured out ASAP!

CSR would be new for us too and so it was on my list. I also really like PM's buffet so this pushed it up in my list. Having the expo there pushes it up farther.

I'm staying at CSR (Coronado Springs Resort) as a happy coincidence. We switched from AoA when the discounted rates came out. Going all the way out to WoS and trekking through the parking lot and compex to get a bib is always a PITA to me. I'm THRILLED that they moved it for whatever reason (I'm assuming there's a conflict, not that this will happen every year)

I heard a rumor about 2 weeks ago that this was happening, but it just went on the website end of last week I think.

I think staying at CSR and then picking up the bib there would be VERY convenient!

Has anybody purchased park tickets at the reduced rate? In my excitement of registering....I guess I did it all wrong and do not have the code needed for the reduced price tickets.

I will all later today for them...but was wondering if anybody knows how they are priced??

We are going to be there Friday - Friday...but need park hoppers Friday - Thursdsay.

That code should be in your confirmation email. It seemed to me the pricing was really good for just the 2 day, but the more days you add the more closely priced to gate it is.

For bskelly07 (and anyone else who cares, too!) these are the pics from Dirty Girl in June of this year. Most were taken by my DH who followed us along the course as best as he could. There were a few obstacles where spectators couldn't get so he missed those, but he did pretty well. The ones at the end are from Brightroom so they had the in on a few of the hidden obstacles. I think really the only ones that no one got are climbing the "mountain" and maybe one or two that slipped my mind. But this should give you a good feel forwhat you are in for. It was lots of fun and we're planning to do it next year wearing wedding gowns. :thumbsup2

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BbsmTZwxYtXNA

Looks like a lot of fun! My ds's gf is trying to get me to do one. The two of them did a dirty dash last summer and had a blast. Thing is... I figure I have a hard enough time not hurting/killing myself when I just plain run. I am all but certain I would not come away from a dirty dash unscathed.:rolleyes:

I just ran in my first 10k this past sat, on i course that was all hills (i dont think i have ever seen so many hills before). Not gonna lie im kinda proud of myself. I finished with a time of 1:12:55 at a 11:45 pace.

I must confess that i went into this race a little under trained. Sandy kind of turned my training upside down and i had only ever completed a 5 mile run previous to the race. This race made me more determined to get back to my training schedule. I just started running for the first time ever this past July in prep for the princess half. 6 months ago i would never have imagined myself running 6.2 mile let alone training for 13.1 :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for all of the positivity here, it is so nice to read everyone encouraging replies. They have given me the courage to run these race as a beginner and have taught me to be patient with myself.

WTG!!!:cool1: Don't you love seeing the improvement in yourself? I know when I first started, I never could have imagined running like I do now. Little by little it gets easier and we get better. It is AWESOME!!!!

Did anyone else notice the Kids Races have moved to Epcot? That is fun considering the 5K is there that morning too, but where in Epcot would the kids races be? I think they start at 8:45am so the park would be open. I just can't imagine where all the little kiddies can run!

Also did anyone at Wine and Dine (or any other race expos lately) see the kids medal for Princess weekend?

Jodi

I was wondering too... especially since I would need to figure out if dh and I need a park ticket to watch the race.

Parking lot would mean no ticket needed... WS would mean a ticket needed. I hope it is parking lot! :goodvibes

How did I not see that? :rolleyes: We were looking at CSR or POFQ (unless a good enough AP discount comes out to move to an Epcot resort ;)), but this just decided it for me. We'll book CSR. :thumbsup2

I too was seriously considering POFQ. Not sure why it comes up as more than the other mods (maybe it isn't included in the room only discount?) However with CSR having the expo that does certainly push it ahead in my choices.

Whaaaat???? Expo is really at csr?? I'm surprised! WWOS is def a much bigger facility.

CSR has the conference center though, right? Not sure how big that is...but obviously it must be large enough to hold how many thousands of people?

Good point re World Showcase. That would be cool!

Has anyone here ever done kids races? I have 2 kids running in different groups and obviously I am hoping to see/run with both of them. Is this possible or do all the races happen at the same time? That would be chaos LOL, so assuming/hoping they stagger the starts by age group?

Also I wasn't planning on this being a park day...but now with being at Epcot, I am wondering if we should do Future World for a while? But I also need to get to the Expo though AND tuck in early since we'll be getting up in the middle of the night essentially! Decisions, decisions...

Jodi

My dd did the kids race from the ToT 10 miler weekend. They had each group start at different times. I think the greatest challenge with having kids in multiple groups would not be to miss watching them but when they are each in their corrals. I know that our group had another girl in the younger corral and so she and her aunt had to wait there rather than with us.

DH and I are staying at the Contmporary as we are big fans of the hotel (and concierge level... A nice present from DH ! Also got a big airline discount !). We always get a car when we go to Disney so we can scoot around on our own without waiting for buses. Will still take bus to race though ) anybody else staying at contemporary ?

That is a very nice present from your DH :cool1: Someday it is a goal of mine to stay CL... but when it adds $100 a night (which if I did my math right on BC is what it would add) It just hasn't seemed worth it. Someday though!!!

Erin

First, :cool1: for your first time staying on property!!! I have stayed off property and even am slightly considering it for feb... but I really prefer staying on property. I don't have to be immersed in "Disney" per say (like you would get staying at AoA... but each resort is themed so nicely and has food choices I like...and while many may disagree or feel differently, I like the disney transportation. Well... I like not having to transport myself.

As for food... There are several at CSR and I am sure you can get something for prerace. Even though I did not stay at CSR during the ToT 10 miler weekend... I did go there to have my pre race lunch. (again, I do like Pepper Markets buffet and on the dp it is a great use of ONLY a cs credit) I don't want to get slammed here...so I say this with some trepidation. I can honestly say I have RARELY if EVER been one to sneak out a morsel of food from a buffet...but I had a bagel on my plate at the buffet...and :rolleyes1 It happened to end up in my bag. I had brought my own pb from home (I love planters energy mix pb - the cinnamon raison kind is my favorite..the berry mix ok..and the banana is kinda icky) This bagel is what I then used to put my pb on pre race. They did have food carts though in the parking lot outside the corrals..but I am not sure what they served.

Since I have never been, I was looking forward to going to the Wide World of Sports for the expo. Does anyone know why the moved the venue ??

Could be a big Cheer competition going on that same weekend that they needed the building for, who knows? If so...oh boy, cheer groups PLUS thousands of Princesses converging on the World at the same time?? :scared: You could always take a cab over to see the area if you wanted...there's a little gift shop there with alot of ESPN merch. Other than that, it's just a stadium, some buildings and a bunch of fields that I don't think they'll let you into unless you have a ticket to the event going on that day. I could be mistaken about that though. It's a really nice complex for sure, just not really anything to do there unless you're there for a specific event.

Can someone explain to me the way the start up works do they stager the corrals or does the whole go at once?

I am training at about 15 min mile and am worried if I need to focus on better than that to account for being at the back and the slow start.

Can someone explain to me the way the start up works do they stager the corrals or does the whole go at once?

I am training at about 15 min mile and am worried if I need to focus on better than that to account for being at the back and the slow start.

Corrals will be staggered...I think they are normally at least 5-6 minutes apart? The sweepers will not start until the very last person in the last corral crosses the start line. So, the further you are in front of them, the more of a little time cushion you'll have. If you end up in the last corral, just plan to get to the corrals early that morning and claim a spot as close to the front of your corral as you can...that will at least give you a few minutes jump on the sweepers if you are concerned about getting picked up. But, if you are training and can maintain that 15 min mile you're running at now, you shouldn't have a problem!

About WWoS, my guess is that it has something to do with the Atlanta Braves and Spring training. There is preseason game there at 1:05 on Saturday.

Cripey said:
Corrals will be staggered...I think they are normally at least 5-6 minutes apart? The sweepers will not start until the very last person in the last corral crosses the start line. So, the further you are in front of them, the more of a little time cushion you'll have. If you end up in the last corral, just plan to get to the corrals early that morning and claim a spot as close to the front of your corral as you can...that will at least give you a few minutes jump on the sweepers if you are concerned about getting picked up. But, if you are training and can maintain that 15 min mile you're running at now, you shouldn't have a problem!

Thanks for he info

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter