The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously! I don't get it. In the hot south, fall is the PERFECT time for 10K's. However, the only one I can find around here is on Tgvg morning, so I'll be doing that. Everything else is 5K's - what's the deal?!?!

You know, as long as I have the ipod, I'm good. On shorter distances, I kinda feel like I'm JUST getting into my groove, and then it's over. On longer distances I can zone out and just kind of get into my head for a while - not as scary as that might sound!:crazy2: And the Publix Half last spring was neat b/c it wound through lots of really nice parts of Atlanta, so it was pretty cool to see areas that I don't get to a lot. I don't however, ever see me doing a full marathon. For a first time it would probably take me around 5 hours and there are very few things I can think of that I want to do 5 hours straight! I agree with Patty - the only way I can see myself doing a full would be at WDW so I could run through all 4 parks. And that would take me WAAAAAY more than 5 hours b/c I am ALL ABOUT the pictures!

I see that you're in N. Ga. Thanksgiving morning is the Must Ministries' Gobble Job - a 10K. It was quite fun last year and there was some hilly residential areas to the course that surprised me.

Good to hear the Publix 1/2 was fun. I had been toying with that one.

It's advised to do at least one long-ish run in your race day attire to make sure you aren't going to need to make any adjustments. Your neighbors may think you have lost it though :)

Agreed. I think about that all the time. When I used to run non-costume mararthons, it was still foremost in my mind to test everything before race day- fanny packs, water bottles, jog bras...never wear anything you haven't tried on a long run. Things tend to chafe or jiggle in ways that you might not anticipate. I've witnessed many uncomfortable and bleeding people on the course that didn't try out a tank top or something ahead of time. I can only imagine it's that much worse with tulle involved!

Agreed. I think about that all the time. When I used to run non-costume mararthons, it was still foremost in my mind to test everything before race day- fanny packs, water bottles, jog bras...never wear anything you haven't tried on a long run. Things tend to chafe or jiggle in ways that you might not anticipate. I've witnessed many uncomfortable and bleeding people on the course that didn't try out a tank top or something ahead of time. I can only imagine it's that much worse with tulle involved!

True! Any minor annoyance that you think you can ignore for a mile or two is for sure gonna be a major problem that you can't ignore at mile 12 and 13. Probably the most important thing to think about when deciding on a tutu would be to make sure the tutu is shorter than the shorts you plan to wear underneath (or just wear running capris) and be sure it's not so poofy that it will touch your arms while running. So, no tulle touching skin anywhere! That would get really uncomfortable really fast! :crazy2:

My Maleficent headband is here. It's amazing, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work for my costume. I'm probably going to have to tweak it, and tons of bobby pins will be needed, for sure.

PICTURES!!! Please!!!

Good morning! Asking for 2 things - today is Princess SaySay's birthday (Julie!) so happy wishes for her. Also, sadly, today is the day her beloved BIL is having surgery as part of his cancer treatment. So send up prayers, good thoughts, vibes, whatever for Phil to honor Julie's birthday! Thanks, friends!

Sending loads of prayers and well wishes to the family! I hope it all goes well today for Phil! (and happy birthday to SaySay!)

Seriously! I don't get it. In the hot south, fall is the PERFECT time for 10K's. However, the only one I can find around here is on Tgvg morning, so I'll be doing that. Everything else is 5K's - what's the deal?!?!

You know, as long as I have the ipod, I'm good. On shorter distances, I kinda feel like I'm JUST getting into my groove, and then it's over. On longer distances I can zone out and just kind of get into my head for a while - not as scary as that might sound!:crazy2: And the Publix Half last spring was neat b/c it wound through lots of really nice parts of Atlanta, so it was pretty cool to see areas that I don't get to a lot. I don't however, ever see me doing a full marathon. For a first time it would probably take me around 5 hours and there are very few things I can think of that I want to do 5 hours straight! I agree with Patty - the only way I can see myself doing a full would be at WDW so I could run through all 4 parks. And that would take me WAAAAAY more than 5 hours b/c I am ALL ABOUT the pictures!

We have a HUGE 5 MILE turkey trot. not helping man! I need that 10K. lol I am going to Dallas (again, with Dallas!) for Thanksgiving this year BECAUSE they have an 8 mile turkey trot. It's nuts!

5 hours--- :rotfl2: I wish it would only be 5 hours! That's my other issue with doing a marathon... it's gonna take me a freakin LONG time to complete that sucker. I'll be pushing that 7 hr mark for sure.

But 2014 is looking like the year to do it. :scared1:

I ran the hotcake hustle. It wasn't pretty, but I had a time to submit.

http://www.runproject.org/.

I did finally find one in east Plano. There's a big park area and the 5k and 10k were around that area. It's mid-November each year, and the weather was absolutely perfect. It was chilly as we were waiting to start the race, but then once we got going, I was perfectly fine. Not to mention the scenery was gorgeous because all the leaves were turning different colors.

Speaking of running in race day attire, I am running in my tutu this weekend in the Run for the Cure! Our whole team is wearing tutus so this was a great opportunity to test drive my Princess tutu. I went out for a 5K last night and wore it to see how it felt...got a lot of weird looks! Oh well, I am a princess running for the cure!!!

Side note - I always run with an iFitness belt and it kept riding up because it was above the tutu whereas I normally wear it lower - anyone else run in a tutu with a race belt? How did you make it work? It was ok, but a little annoying to keep adjusting for 5K...not sure what I think about that for 21K! May need to switch to my sparkle skirt although the tutu is so adorable!

Jodi

www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com

True! Any minor annoyance that you think you can ignore for a mile or two is for sure gonna be a major problem that you can't ignore at mile 12 and 13. Probably the most important thing to think about when deciding on a tutu would be to make sure the tutu is shorter than the shorts you plan to wear underneath (or just wear running capris) and be sure it's not so poofy that it will touch your arms while running. So, no tulle touching skin anywhere! That would get really uncomfortable really fast! :crazy2:

No tulle touching skin... Got it!!! That's a good tip and tips like that, I'm looking for. It won't be my first half, but my first run in a costume, so I'm not worried about my running wear, only the costume part.

I tried several different belt style pouches and none worked for me (though I will give a HUGE kudos to the iFitness folks, they were WAY above and beyond working with me trying to get a belt that worked for me, sending me a couple of different styles and asking for me to take pics and send them to them for analysis) I'm 5'1" and apparently my leg joint at my hip just doesn't allow for enough space for the things to stay low at the hips on me - they all ride right up to my waist and frustrate me and cause chafing.

Anyway, what DOES work for me is the Amphipod clip on pouches. I have the Lock On Micropack Smartview for my Android phone. I have to ensure that any running shorts or pants have a drawstring that I can tie tight, but once I do that I'm all set :thumbsup2 I wear my phone at the center of my back and then use a bluetooth headset. It fits my ID and a few bucks as well.

For water I use the Nathan Sprint, and recently got a Sprint Plus with the zip up pouch, which allows me to stash my energy gummies in there instead of jamming them in my waistband or under my bra strap at my shoulder. I love it!

Oh, man, looking at this stuff made me feel so old. My last marathon was 11 yrs ago and the technology has changed in a decade! Thanks for the tips. My old stuff looks very clunky now :sad2:

I wear my phone at the center of my back and then use a bluetooth headset. It fits my ID and a few bucks as well.

I'm in the market for a bluetooth solution to running with tunes -- do you have one you particularly like? anyone else want to chime in on this?

I see that you're in N. Ga. Thanksgiving morning is the Must Ministries' Gobble Job - a 10K. It was quite fun last year and there was some hilly residential areas to the course that surprised me.

Good to hear the Publix 1/2 was fun. I had been toying with that one.

I did the Gobble Jog 2 years ago - it was my first 10K. I walked the hills then - I'm coming back for revenge and I am running those suckers! Was the guy with the tuba on his front porch there last year? He would play the tune and 2 ladies with him would yell, "Charge!" Repeatedly. I think the blender was running early that morning...:goodvibes

I enjoyed the Publix Half. The ONLY neg. I have to say about it was that the corrals were a mess. Hard to get to each one and the vols were letting anyone in any corral. The race actually started before I got back to my corral, so I just jumped in where I was and was smushed in for just a little bit. Other than that, the course was really well thought out, but it did have some killer hills by Piedmont Park. Although there were some bare stretches, they did have a lot of people in neighborhoods come out and cheer, so that was fun. I did a post about it: http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com/2012/03/workout-wednesday-publix-georgia-half.html I'm also avenging myself on this course - I was only 4 minutes behind my PR, which was set on a completely flat course on a much cooler day. I will conquer it!

I'm in the market for a bluetooth solution to running with tunes -- do you have one you particularly like? anyone else want to chime in on this?

I have the Platronic Backbeat 903+ headset. My running buddy has the same ones and we both love them. She has little ears and has problems with headphones staying on, so that's saying a lot that she loves them. The thing is that they let in ambient sound. Which, for many headsets is a negative, but I think for safety it is a great thing to have in a running headset. I can still hear everything around me and carry on a conversation because the part that goes in your ear kind of channels the music in vs. being like a true ear bud. Another plus for them is that they use a micro USB charger, as does my phone, so no messing with an additional charger. Another plus is the price point...they don't break the bank. The drawback so far with the Plantronics is that they're not terribly water/sweat resistant. I wear a bondiband 99% of the time, so I think that helps a lot with soaking up my sweat, but my friend doesn't. She's on her second pair of Plantronics and it is starting to flake out again on her, so she's close to round 3. Why she doesn't hop on some sort of sweat soaker bandwagon is beyond me ;) :confused3:rotfl2:

My DH runs with Jaybird headphones, which are really nice and even lighter so more free feeling. Great sound and cool little rubber thing that keeps them in your ears, but they completely block ambient noise. I think they're supposed to be more water/sweat resistant, too. But they're more expensive (though he got a good price on them at a race expo). The downside is the proprietary charge cord...so he better never lose it!

I've also tried Motorola ones as well, those were good too, but they were the "princess leia" style and the foam for the ears got yucky after a year. Otherwise I liked them...but because they had a stiff ring for around/behind your head I was always worried about them snapping in half in my bag.

Sorry, girls, I have been totally MIA. I went back to work to start a new school year and it has been NUTS!

I had a great 10K 2 weeks ago and did a PR. Not the best but I will take 67 minutes since I have come a LONG way in the last 4 months. I completely cannot wait for Princess to come along!

Princesses....I am having a hard time finding out where online to purchase the "discount theme park tickets". I have the code from registration but I just can't navigate the new RunDisney website to find where I can purchase the tickets for us. Thanks and I hope someone has the answer. :)

Princesses....I am having a hard time finding out where online to purchase the "discount theme park tickets". I have the code from registration but I just can't navigate the new RunDisney website to find where I can purchase the tickets for us. Thanks and I hope someone has the answer. :)

Where did you get the code from? I don't think I got one. :confused3

I ordered them with the resort stay discount package.

I have the tiara visor too. Got it for the Princess this year. I run with it all the time. I can't wear my sunglasses, they fog up. Apparently my eyes sweat a lot.:confused3 Love the visor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter