The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't put in a proof of time when I registered. I realize I have to finish at least a 10K or higher in order to place into a better corral prior to Dec.1st if I don't want to alter my bib's appearance at the Expo.

My question is I've noticed there are about three or so races in my area that are 10K's prior to Dec.1st. Does Disney approve any race that amounts to that length of distance or do they have to be certified? The reason I ask is because I've noticed when comparing the races in my area one had "course is USATF certified. Chip start timing provided by Accuchip Timing." While others didn't go into specifics. Is there a difference? Are they all the same? :confused3

Once I finish the course how would I go about getting my proof of time? Is there some type of certificate or paper of my time? Do I have to scan it to Disney's run email?

My question is I've noticed there are about three or so races in my area that are 10K's prior to Dec.1st. Does Disney approve any race that amounts to that length of distance or do they have to be certified? The reason I ask is because I've noticed when comparing the races in my area one had "course is USATF certified. Chip start timing provided by Accuchip Timing." While others didn't go into specifics. Is there a difference? Are they all the same? :confused3

Once I finish the course how would I go about getting my proof of time? Is there some type of certificate or paper of my time? Do I have to scan it to Disney's run email?

I don't know about the "USATF certified" part, but I would think that anything with "official" timing would be acceptable - as in, there is someone actually keeping track of runner's times and recording them. I have run several races where you have to remember your time as you cross the finish (there's a big clock posted), fill out a slip of paper with your info and turn it in after finishing. As long as someone is recording those, it still counts.

As far as getting Disney proof, if you do it before Dec.1, you can just email RunDisney with the name of the race, the date and the city in which it was held and, of course, your time. That's it - they supposedly verify from there. Most races post race times on their websites or Active.com. If you are doing it after Dec. 1, you need to pull up the race website, find your name & time and print a screen shot of it to bring with you to the expo.

A word about timing - some races do as I said above with the runners turning in their own times. "Chip timing" means there is something that is either imbedded in your racing bib or something you put on your shoe and you are automatically recorded as you cross the finish line.

If there is anything "fair" in the world of RunDisney, then yep. I'd agree with you. :thumbsup2

Proof + Experience should mean a bump in corrals if there is a conflict. If there's only 200 princesses putting in 3:30 finish, then you would just end up in the end corral. But based on past experience, there are a TON of walkers, first timers, run/walkers who are slower... so I would think that much of the last 2 corrals are likely to be 3:30 finishers.

Again... I'm just guessing and making stuff up. I know nothing official.
If you have a time I would submit it for just this reason. I think it says if you don't give any time you will be in the back of the pack. You only have to submit an official time if you think you will finish faster than 2:45. But if you put something you will be less likely to be in the last corral.
:thumbsup2 All of this is good to hear - thanks guys! :thumbsup2 So far, I see no 10Ks coming up near me that I can do between post-TOT recovery and the Princess, so it's likely that my TOT time will serve as proof for the Princess... and I'm running the TOT with a major case of IT Band syndrome; my pace will be much slower than what was my norm, pre-ITBS. I'll be happy to end up near a 13:30-14:00/mile average at this point, but I hope to be back to between 11:00-12:00 by the Princess. It sounds like it's worth submitting my TOT time, even if it's not stellar, right?

With everyone talking about their first races, I thought I would post about some basic "race etiquette" that newer runners might not know.

http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com/2012/09/newbie-chronicles-mind-your-manners.html

Anyone have anything else I forgot?
This pertains to the Princess 5K, not teh half, but pleeeeeeeaaaaaase, when running with a stroller, do not dodge and weave your way through the pack and NO off-roading! The stroller crimes I witnessed during the Tangled 5K this year were nothing less than epic. :scared1:

Princess V, you can also use an old race. I think one back to July 2011 will work. I can't find the info on the new website, but it was on the old website.

So if you had one to turn in from then, you don't have to sweat the time at ToT.

I'm officially all registered for the Thanksgiving 10K in hopes of a good qualifying time and for the Princess Half. I'm feeling very :cool1: and
panic.gif

I'm planning on doing the 5K as well, but I'm holding off on registering for it. The price doesn't increase, so no need to give them any more of my money right now. ;)

Oh, and I was feeling optomisitc when I registered. I checked yes for the coast to coast. My brother is moving to CA soon, so it totally gives me even more of an excuse to get out to DL for the half, right?

Princess V, you can also use an old race. I think one back to July 2011 will work.
Sadly, I don't have an old one, either. We have a serious dearth of 10Ks around here! May have something to do with it feeling like the surface of the sun half the year, eh? :rotfl: Good to know for future reference, though - thanks!

I'm doing the Hot Chocolate 15K in November and hoping that gives me a good enough time to get a good corral. I don't expect to be in the front, but I am just hoping to avoid trampling or being trampled.

Sadly, I don't have an old one, either. We have a serious dearth of 10Ks around here! May have something to do with it feeling like the surface of the sun half the year, eh? :rotfl: Good to know for future reference, though - thanks!

Yeah, where are all the 10ks, FLORIDA????

Though, PrincessV, if you can head up to St Augustine on November 17, there is a 10k on that day - that is the one I'm doing for my Proof of Time. It starts near Castillo, goes over the Bridge of Lions, turns around in Anastasia State Park and back. It looks like a pretty good race and says it's even walk-friendly, which means that I won't feel so bad in the back bringing up the rear :rotfl:

Yeah, where are all the 10ks, FLORIDA????

Though, PrincessV, if you can head up to St Augustine on November 17, there is a 10k on that day -

So it's not just me?! It's absolutely bizarre to me how few 10Ks we have, and of those, how few are officially timed! And dontcha know, there are a few of them Thanksgiving week... when I'll be at WDW. :rolleyes: In a perfect world, I'll be healthy enough to run a local half-marathon in mid-Dec. It's one I'd love to run and would be a great proof of time, but I just don't know if it's likely, given the current state of my IT band stuff. :worried:

It's the same here in Austin. Tons of 5ks, fair amount of halves even. But timed 10ks are rare! We do one huge one (think 40k runners) and then nothing ... It's crazy. There is one in October I found that I'm running for time, but I traveled to Dallas last year for my 10k. (Hoping to improve on that time!)

My problem for times to submit is that I mostly do obstacle course running (like Tough Mudder or other mud runs). Even the ones that are timed can't be compared because you have to stop and climb a series of 10' walls, repel up/down a hill or whatever plus they are all off-road style trail run set-ups. My last timed mud run was a 5K and it took me just under 45 min but then I just ran a regular 5K on 9/13 in about 28m, so there's really no comparison between the two.

I hate to say this, but a straight run longer than 5K isn't all that exciting to me. Disney is different because it's not like you're just running. You're in the most magical place on earth with characters and castles and all good things. But for just a regular run, I don't enjoy it enough to do a ton of 10Ks or longer.

I signed up for Hot Chocolate 15K partly to get a time for the Princess and partly because I am hoping the chocolate at the end provides enough incentive to go go go!!!! And the goodie bag is an awesome hoodie plus all the chocolate you can eat (or carry).

Count me in!! And my sister and my mom! We are all attempting our first halves and my mom and sister are new to running! I am so excited about this adventure and challenge that we tackling together.

I hate to say this, but a straight run longer than 5K isn't all that exciting to me. Disney is different because it's not like you're just running. You're in the most magical place on earth with characters and castles and all good things. But for just a regular run, I don't enjoy it enough to do a ton of 10Ks or longer.

I signed up for Hot Chocolate 15K partly to get a time for the Princess and partly because I am hoping the chocolate at the end provides enough incentive to go go go!!!! And the goodie bag is an awesome hoodie plus all the chocolate you can eat (or carry).

ITA. A 5K is fun, anything longer than that unless it's Disney just isn't. I am not a "true" runner that just loves to go long... I get bored! :rotfl2: Which is why the ONLY way I will EVER do a marathon will be at WDW. Even then I have more concerns about my mental toughness than I do about they physical aspect (though that one freaks me out as well!)

ITA. A 5K is fun, anything longer than that unless it's Disney just isn't. I am not a "true" runner that just loves to go long... I get bored! :rotfl2: Which is why the ONLY way I will EVER do a marathon will be at WDW. Even then I have more concerns about my mental toughness than I do about they physical aspect (though that one freaks me out as well!)

Exactly!!!! I think I have runner's ADD.:hyper: LOL!! I need it broken up into little bits to keep from getting bored. Run, run, run....oooooh a Princess!!!!...run, run....ooooh a castle!!! Hey, there's my kids, better smile!!...run, run...hmmm, any characters? No? Maybe I should look at my phone...oooh, run time? Hmmm, okay...finish line yet? No? Hmm...run, run...hey it's Tinkerbell!!!...Hey, *I'M* Tinkerbell!! YES! I love today!!! Wait, I'm tired and my legs hurt...are we there yet?...:hyper:

I can't see myself ever doing a full marathon, but then again, I never thought I'd do a half either and I'm already planning Princess '13, Tink '14 and W&D '14 so I guess anything could happen. :confused3

Looking for suggestions:
What is your favorite running pouch?
What do you use for interval time keeping?

Exactly!!!! I think I have runner's ADD.:hyper: LOL!! I need it broken up into little bits to keep from getting bored. Run, run, run....oooooh a Princess!!!!...run, run....ooooh a castle!!! Hey, there's my kids, better smile!!...run, run...hmmm, any characters? No? Maybe I should look at my phone...oooh, run time? Hmmm, okay...finish line yet? No? Hmm...run, run...hey it's Tinkerbell!!!...Hey, *I'M* Tinkerbell!! YES! I love today!!! Wait, I'm tired and my legs hurt...are we there yet?...:hyper:

I can't see myself ever doing a full marathon, but then again, I never thought I'd do a half either and I'm already planning Princess '13, Tink '14 and W&D '14 so I guess anything could happen. :confused3

I SWORE it would never happen here either. But the Princess sold me on a half (or two :rolleyes1) after I did it once. It's now an annual thing for me. And I have a group of ladies that are thinking of going Goofy for our 40th birthdays.... insane!

I think I like running intervals so I don't get bored. I have something to focus on- walking OR running. ha ha ha

Looking for suggestions:
What is your favorite running pouch?
What do you use for interval time keeping?

I love my ifitness running belt, it doesn't bounce has 2 compartments for water bottles, 2 loops for your gels (I use GU) and the clip things to hang your bib. It's super comfortable.
I use runkeeper on my phone you can add any type of interval, you can add a warm up/cool down, you can change it for different sports (running, walking, bikes, treadmill,etc) I've been using both for 9 months now.

It's the same here in Austin. Tons of 5ks, fair amount of halves even. But timed 10ks are rare! We do one huge one (think 40k runners) and then nothing ... It's crazy. There is one in October I found that I'm running for time, but I traveled to Dallas last year for my 10k. (Hoping to improve on that time!)

Kind of funny you had to travel up here for one. I had the devil of a time finding a 10k last year that I could use to submit for this year's Princess. I've found the same as others have mentioned: tons of 5k races but not a whole of 10ks. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!