The New 2008 Beach Club and Yacht Club FAQs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the holiday pics. If we are lucky enough to go, it would be sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Does anyone have a preference of Yacht vs. Beach and if so, why?

Review of the Beach Club
December 2007

When I first walked into the resort, we were greeted by three CMs. Warm greetings at that. I could immediately smell the piped in gingerbread scent from the merry-go-round. I would describe it more of a hazelnut scent. I have a hazelnut candle that smells so much like it, I have removed it from my Christmas stuff and now keep it on my desk in my Disney room. Yummolicious!!! This candle will always remind me of my stay at the Beach Club. I would send you all a little piece of it, but then there would be nothing left. :)

I walked over to the check-in desk and there was no wait. I was immediately greeted with a smile and “Welcome to the Beach Club” by the Cast Member. Check-in was a breeze. I immediately learned we had been upgraded to a waterview room. Our room was a view of the lake and the Boardwalk. (My sister came over and I shooed her away. I wanted all of them to be totally surprised about the free upgrade, so I would not let any of them come over while I was checking in.) She told me of the free upgrade, gave me my check-in package, the four Key to the World cards, let me know we had packages waiting that we could leave with Bell Services after our room was ready and then she gave me a number I could call if we needed anything while we were in the park.

During our stay, we checked out different parts of the resort several times. The only time we went to the Stormalong Bay area was for a visit to the hot tub one evening and I did not take a camera. Here is what I can tell you.

Pool Area
Stormalong Bay is certainly beautiful and very big. It is a bit of a convoluted mess however, walking over the bridges to get to the hot tub or another area of the pool. There are several doors from the first floor that will take you outside to the pool area for SAB; there is really only one main entry point that I could find to enter the pool area. That was not a bad thing really. Upon entry to the pool area is a huge cart filled with nice big towels.

We went and put our feet in the hot tub the first night we were there. The pool area was 100% deserted outside of a few random people walking through with their coolers of booze.

The second time were went there, a CM came by and very politely told us that the pool area was closed. I never read any signs as I was going to the hot tub, but that explains why it was so deserted again.
whistle.gif
We were redirected to the smaller pool. If I was a guest staying in one of those rooms around that pool area I would not have been very pleased with my location. It was very loud and there were a bazillion children running around the pool area screaming like a mad Tiger was after them.

We had spent a little time in that nice big hot tub, but when a dad and his three kids came over and decided to start doing cannonballs in it, we decided it was time to go.

Lobby
The lobby was beautiful. The merry-go-round (carousel) was a nice Christmas touch. Sadly, I never got to really explore it all, but I managed to drink in the warmth of the resort in the moments I did spend in the lobby.

The layout is nice; makes sense. You have Guest Relations, Check-in, Magical Express, DCL and all CM related counters within the same general area. The Marketplace and elevators are on one side of the lobby and Cape May Café at the other.

The colors are very inviting; they have a few really beautiful pieces of furniture and considering the size of the lobby, it was not too loud in there.

The Marketplace
Not so impressed here. The one thing I did like is that you can grab a bite to eat and a souvenir in one stop and on one purchase. That was pretty cool when I wanted a resort refillable mug, a Beach Club pin and a Beach Club T-Shirt all at one time. Outside of that, I am not a fan of the Marketplace. I feel the Imagineers should go back to the drawing board on this one.

The place is very small. There are a few tables where you can sit and munch on your food items and a small section where you can get coffee, tea, sodas, milk and hot chocolate. It is a tight fit and the place where the tables are also happens to be where souvenirs are. If you are eating it is intrusive and if you are shopping it might make one feel like they have to walk on eggshells. At one point, there was a group of 10 women in there for a fan-site meet. These women were in this area with the drinks and tables. It was so loud in there (just from them) and there was no room for us who were staying there to get our drinks. Had the Marketplace been designed differently this would not be an issue. Actually, the women that were in there were told to leave.

The biggest disappointment about the Marketplace was the limited choices for food. There were a lot of choices for souvenirs, however. For breakfast they had a croissant filled with this egg stuff the size of a brick or you could get the same thing with cheese on it. The first time I had it I was starving, so I ate it. The second time I could not stomach it. It was just too much egg and obviously not real eggs, but like all yolk from a mix. Eeeww! I never saw the lunch options, but I could see all they really had were soup and a sandwich and no variety there either.’

The Cast Members here were not as friendly as those that were in the lobby. They all seemed a little irritated with helping people and when you asked a question they acted like they were being bothered. I am not speaking only from my own experience, but also observations. I saw one CM start a shouting match with a guest because he asked how to use his snack credits. I also saw another one snap a man when he wanted to split his purchases for payment reasons.

Cape May Café
The food choices were limited, but what I ate I enjoyed. The service was fair. There was nothing bad about the service; it was just not anything too exciting. She refilled our milk and juice when running low, but for the most part there was nothing else she did that they would not have done at a buffet at home or anywhere else.

The overall look of Cape May was much like a Denny’s or IHOP. It was very clean, but similar to a breakfast joint. It was not too noisy and I felt the spacing between the tables was good.

The character interaction was poor. They seemed rushed and Goofy had an attitude. Oh well, we all have bad days, right?

It was not my favorite of all the breakfast buffets I had visited in WDW, but it was not the worst either. I would prefer this to Chef Mickey’s or Donald’s Breakfastsaurus. In my opinion, the best breakfast buffet I have been to so far is Donald’s Safari Breakfast.

Housekeeping
In the past I have stayed at Coronado Springs and the Port Orleans resorts. The French Quarter has had the best Mousekeeping service I have ever experienced. I do not rate Mousekeeping based upon how many towel animals I get. I have never received any other than on DCL. At POFQ, when we ask for extra towels, a new battery for the remote, etc, we get it. During this stay, we had to ask for clean bedding several times before it was provided. Each time we asked for extra towels they were never left and the housekeeper did not do a good job when wiping down. We left the towels all in one pile, left a tip and cleaned up after ourselves before we left. She never wiped down any counters or the tub. Oh well, at least we know it was our water mess.

Landscaping and Grounds
This resort was beautiful. Every place we went was clean and well-kept. The pool area was spotless, the landscaping was plush and beautiful and the Marketplace, Lobby, Cape May, Beaches and Cream (from the view, we did not eat there) and boat dock were all very clean.

Transportation
The transportation at this resort was not that great. To get to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney you take a bus. To get to Disney Studios you take the boat and to get to EPCOT you can either take the boat or walk down International Gateway.

This was my first experience with a wait for a bus longer than 10 minutes in all my visits to WDW. It took 20-30 minutes for a bus to show each time. Additionally, the busses were shared among 5 resorts, which was a bit much. We were the first to be picked up and last to be dropped off. So each time we would stop at the Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht Club and then Beach Club. When we were picked up it was the opposite order.
The boat ride to Disney Studios was very nice and quick. It stopped at the Swan & Dolphin as well as the Boardwalk I believe, but it did not take too long. The waiting for the ride back was not so hot. The line for the boat was about 2 hours both times for Disney Studios. That was a really long line. I do not know if people were not getting off and just staying for the ride or what, but it was pretty bad. The line was from the dock almost to the entrance. I feel that they should add a bus option for the Beach Club during the busier times or for the hours of park closing.

Rooms
All I can really speak to is our room. We had a waterview of the lake that faced the Boardwalk, which was beautiful. We could see the beach and some of the beautiful landscaping. The room itself did not feel much bigger than a moderate. I did like the bathroom area being set off to the side from the rest of the room instead of looking into it from the sleeping area. I also liked the closet and chest of drawers. The room was furnished nicely and it was very clean upon arrival

Despite slow transportation and lack of food options at the Beach Club, I did enjoy my stay there. I do not think I will return any time soon. In order for me to go back to the Beach Club, they will need to add more hot breakfast food items and speed up the transportation. Transportation is the only thing that bugs me in WDW about taking up too much of my time.

Overall Ratings
Cleanliness of Resort – A+
Appeal of Resort – A+
Transportation – F
Mousekeeping – B-
Food Options – C-
Pool Area – A+
Cape May Café – B
Cast Members – A
Rooms - A

Tete: You can quote this and move it to your FAQ posts. I tried to email it, but it kept rejecting. :(

Disney Deluxe Villas Resorts

Services and Amenities

• Room Service
    [*]Concierge desk
    [*]Health club
    [*]Babysitting and child services
    [*]Pak-n-Play Crib available
    [*]Convenient self-parking
    [*]Valet parking available for a nominal fee
    [*]Rooms and facilities for Guests with disabilities
    [*]Laundry facilities/services
    [*]Meeting and banquet facilities
    [*]Business Center
    [*]Barber and beauty shop
Resort Benefits

As a Disney Vacation Club Member, you enjoy the comforts of home as well as the same benefits of staying at a Walt Disney World® Resort hotel:

Extra Magic Hours — Each day, one of the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks opens an hour early or stays open up to three hours after regular Park hours. This benefit allows you to enjoy a more relaxed pace knowing that you'll have extra time to visit the Theme Parks.

Disney's Magical Express Service — This exclusive complimentary shuttle and luggage delivery service takes you from Orlando International Airport directly to your Resort. At the end of your stay, you'll enjoy the same convenience from your Resort to Orlando International Airport.

Convenient Transportation — Buses arrive right at your Resort to get you to and from Walt Disney World® Theme Parks, Water Parks and more.

A Retreat Close to the Magic — When you stay at a Disney Vacation Club Resort, you're not only surrounded by magic 24 hours a day, you're also close enough to hop back to your Resort for a snack, nap or dip in the pool.

Incredible Disney Service — Disney Cast Members are on hand to make your vacations as easy and worry-free as possible, providing you with the signature Disney service you expect.

Villas Offered as:
Studio
One Bedroom
Two Bedroom

Disney Beach Club Villa Studio
365 Sq Feet
Sleeps 4
• Kitchenette with microwave oven, under-counter refrigerator, wet bar and coffee maker
• Queen-size bed
• Double-size sleeper sofa
• TV
• Private porch or balcony

Disney Beach Club Villa One Bedroom
726 Sq Ft
Sleeps 4
• Master suite with king-size bed and whirlpool tub
• Queen-size sleeper sofa in living room
• TV & DVD player
• Fully equipped kitchen
• Washer/dryer

Disney Beach Club Villa Two Bedroom
1083 Sq Ft
Sleeps 8
• Master suite with king-size bed and whirlpool tub
• Separate bedroom with private bathroom and either one queen-size bed and double-size sleeper sofa or two queen-size beds
• Queen-size sleeper sofa in living room
• TV & DVD player
• Fully equipped kitchen
• Washer/dryer

Villa Floor Layouts
http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-bcv/

This map is great! I wish BWV had a detailed map like this (other than the one I found here: http://members.aol.com/InstImpres/boardwalk.pdf and here http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/disneyworld/pdf/resort_maps/Boardwalk.pdf).

My DBFF's daughter & grandson are staying in August & I requested a water/pool view for them. I was told they will be overlooking Stormalong Bay (they are staying in a studio). When they arrive, can they ask if a certain room # is available to make sure they get the best view?

There aren't any studios overlooking Stormalong Bay. The Beach Club Villas is a totally separate building behind the Beach Club resort. Their studio will either overlook the villa pool or the woods. We stayed in a studio one time that had an amazing view of Illuminations... we were on the woods side of the resort. Maybe request that instead! ;) Or the villas pool view would be nice too. Just make sure they know they definitely can't see Stormalong Bay, I would hate for them to be disappointed.

Erika - thanks for the information on 3526. I had a difficult time getting the layout map to load so I never really got to see where it was located. I know you said you were near stairs. Was it at all near the elevators? My grandson will be in a stroller (at least we are hoping he will be) - so I am not sure how stairs would work for us. Thanks. Marie

We took the stairs but the elevator was not far, just down the hall around the corner. It brings you down by the quiet pool and from there you can easily take the walkway to Epcot. :)

Love this thread. I did some skimming; however, perhaps I didn't look carefully enough (I'm sorry)! I'm curious to know if any of the Yacht Club rooms have been refurbished or will be refurbished (i.e. flat screen TVs). Throughout the years I've noticed Disney refurbishing the GF and Contemporary. Just wondering if they're sharing the love at the YC. Thanks!

I finally found our old pictures from Beach Club Villas.

This was the view from our studio:

UnRTLPchj5d559ejXQfvPr7yqrv4amuq0300.jpg

z52Lcr2ij2CCAaMVM5FFgt2F9ZFByTVN0300.jpg

Z6nVA4HjradcB2ikUaQzdYHGv6nEEgeU0300.jpg

And we had a HUGE balcony! It was long and thin and then opened up on the end to like a big round area. The kids loved it!!

MmJv0J2w9OKPVrti9Wxf8qznxvUF4P8X0300.jpg

Love this thread. I did some skimming; however, perhaps I didn't look carefully enough (I'm sorry)! I'm curious to know if any of the Yacht Club rooms have been refurbished or will be refurbished (i.e. flat screen TVs). Throughout the years I've noticed Disney refurbishing the GF and Contemporary. Just wondering if they're sharing the love at the YC. Thanks!

YC and BC should be next! I heard they just started the BWI. ::yes:: I believe the Poly, GF, CR, and WL are already done.

The funny thing was that balcony had 6 chairs and two side tables and a studio only allows a maximum of 4 guests! :laughing:

Well, if you're fighting, you could have opposite sides of the balcony. LOL

I'd love the extra big balcony, but just for hubby and I, I don't think I could justify it. But I know we're going to want a real balcony and not the fake ones where you can open the doors but still have to sit inside. And I'm pretty sure we're going to plan on making Y&B the resort of choice when we do finally get to go in 2011.

YC and BC should be next! I heard they just started the BWI. ::yes:: I believe the Poly, GF, CR, and WL are already done.

Yes, I hear the BC and then the YC will be started very very soon! Can't wait....although, I am sure they will not be completed for our trip this July. So, there is always next year!

TigrLvsPooh -Love the view pics from your BCV room. What a great balcony, I have seen those from the outside, they really are large, how wonderful!

Yatch Club Lobby during the holidays!!!
yatchclub-1.jpg

Yatch Club View from Beach Club
yatchclub3.jpg

Beach Club Lobby
beachclub.jpg

My DD with Mickey in the Yatch Club Lobby during the Holidays
yatchclub2-1.jpg

I am feeling hugely relieved with my decision to book the BC for this trip. I am generally a die hard GF girl but the pictures are telling me I will like this hotel

There aren't any studios overlooking Stormalong Bay. The Beach Club Villas is a totally separate building behind the Beach Club resort. Their studio will either overlook the villa pool or the woods. We stayed in a studio one time that had an amazing view of Illuminations... we were on the woods side of the resort. Maybe request that instead! ;) Or the villas pool view would be nice too. Just make sure they know they definitely can't see Stormalong Bay, I would hate for them to be disappointed.

Thanks! I should probably have clarified that she is not renting points - we had to book a room directly thru Disney to get her in for August since the villas were all booked. I tried to rent a 1-bdrm from a DVC owner but no one could get her a room so we ended up downsizing to a room w/2 queen beds (studio?) but at least overlooking Stormalong Bay. Plus since I quoted her the price of renting a 1-bdrm I am paying the difference of what it would have cost using points vs paying rack room rates - ouch! :faint: but am happy to do it for her since it will be her first visit. I could have got a 1-bed at SSR using points but she was firm on staying at BC. I think I will try to rent points for BC in 2009.

Here are some pictures of the campfire and movie on the beach...

WDWJune20081738.jpg

WDWJune20081741.jpg

WDWJune20081743.jpg

WDWJune20081756.jpg

WDWJune20081759.jpg

WDWJune20081769.jpg

WDWJune20081773.jpg

Sorry the movie pics are blurry..couldn't get a good shot!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter