The "I've Waited Forever to Go Solo" Mom's Leaving Everyone Behind Trip! Updt 3/11

I can't believe that you are like 2 weeks from your trip?!?! Crazy!

I can't wait to hear all about it!
I know, 2 weeks from Thursday!

:wave2: Can't wait:woohoo: :woohoo:
I can't believe its almost here!

I think I went with the chicken fingers when I went to CHH on my KTTK tour. But one of the guys I was eating with had the Tuna and it looked pretty good.

ETA: In case you didn't know, you pick your meal ahead of time and it's waiting for you when you get to CHH on the lunch break. Just didn't want you to think you had up until you got to lunch to decide, I know I was kind of thrown by it at first.

My first dinner at Mama Melrose was OK, enough so that I tried it again, but my 2nd time was very underwhelming. Nothing BAD about it per say, but I don't think I'll be eating there again. My vote is for the Tune In Lounge.
Yes, I think you are right. I am just not quite feeling the MM vibe.

Omigosh!!!! It's Getting Close!!!!
It certainly is!

WOW 19 days!!:cool1: Thanks for telling me about Journey to the center of the Earth, my boys want to see it, so I'm glad you think it's good!! I had the wood grilled chicken at Mama's and it was AWESOME!! I can't believe they got rid of that salad at CHH, I LOVED it!!:sad2:
Now see, here is someone who loved MM and even the entree I was thinking of. I just don't know what to do! And yes go, go see Journey! You will love it! So much fun!

Hi Allyson, I haven't posted in a while but I have been reading along. Don't you love the "3 weeks from today I'll be ...." game? Wow your Sunday will be busy but sounds like fun. I haven't looked at the menu for the Tune In Lounge because we don't sit there so I don't know if they offer everything the restaurant does but the pot roast is soooooooo good. That is one meal that is planned way before we go. Pretty much as I am rolling away from the table I am planning on getting it the next time. :lmao:

Glad Goofy and Belle had good birthdays. (Told you I haven't posted in a while) We did a giant board game for one of Ethan's birthdays (10 I think) and it was a lot of fun.

We are leaving for a Williamsburg, VA vacation on the 8th and returning the 17th and then taking Kalyn back to college on the 22nd so I probably won't post again before you go. :wizard: So have a very magical trip and I look forward to hearing about it on your TR. :wizard:
Oh thank you so much for posting! Have a wonderful vacation and trip to bring Kalyn to college! Thanks for the good wishes! Come back to my TR when you return!

17 now and 5 for you, WOO HOO!

Allyson:surfweb:

17 days. Two weeks from Thursday. 2 weeks, 3 days according to the old ticker.

And what am I doing? Twiddling my thumbs mostly. Gosh this is that awkward time. You are close, but not yet close enough. I have a few things in the suitcase but really need to wait to do the serious packing as I still am using most of my things. All ADRs are made, itineraries done, all the big stuff is done. And so all there is to do right about now is wait. And wait. And thumb twiddle. *sigh*

All of my kids went to camp today. It is a camp about 10 minutes from home and this is a day camp week (they do sleepaway other weeks). They are there 7:30-5:30 and eat breakfast and lunch there. It is camp as you would always think of camp: woodsy, nature, swimming, fun. They absolultely loved it! I was so glad since it was their first time. They went swimming in the pond, caught newts and frogs, went canoeing, biking, played games, did crafts, sang songs, played and then some. They came home dirty and tired!

What did I do all day while they were gone? Well I got my Martha on!

Cleaned my whole downstairs, like the really good kind of cleaning not the quickie version
Grocery Shopped
Went to the library and the bank
Prepped and cooked a really great steak and shrimp dinner (I used this recipe for the shrimp, really good!)
Baked bread
Made Moose shaped Sugar Cookies
Went for a run

It was a really good productive day!

But back on the Disney front, time really is flying by.Note to self summer trips are nice because summer is the fastest moving season of the year so your trip will really be here before you know it!

Now back to my trip, on Monday I am getting to Epcot at RD (which might be a problem with EMH the night before. I might just have to skip the idea of staying till the end as I really need to make RD). I am meeting a fellow TGMer at RD and we are heading over to Soarin' to ride together. Then my college pal S is going to be meeting me in Epcot that morning. She'll call when she arrives. We'll tour and hang out. I think we want to do CS lunch in WS, no idea where, we'll play it by ear I guess.

When S leaves in the afternoon I'll probably go back to Pop for a break. That night I am going back to Epcot. I still have an ADR at Marrakesh which I may cancel. I think I might just do CS instead. So many, many good choices at Epcot. I don't know if I'll stay for Illuminations again, we'll see.

I do have an early 9:30am flight the next morning so that means an early early ME pick up. Ugh. But let's not talk about that right now. Who wants to talk about the last day when you haven't even gotton there yet?

Until next time folks!

17 days :banana: :banana: :banana:

Your dinner sounds yummy! I wish I knew how to cook.

Your kids' camp sounds like a lot of fun.

Don't even think about the last day yet ;)

It is the awkward time, but, fortunately, it will be over soon and you can start getting ready!!!

Moose shaped cookies? How cute! Do you have a cookie cutter for that?

The steak and shrimp dinner sounds delicious!

The kids' camp sounds like so much fun! I wish we had something like that around here!

17 days :banana: :banana: :banana:

Your dinner sounds yummy! I wish I knew how to cook.

Your kids' camp sounds like a lot of fun.

Don't even think about the last day yet ;)
Oh if you can read you can cook this shrimp,really its a no brainer and yet soooo good!

It is the awkward time, but, fortunately, it will be over soon and you can start getting ready!!!

Moose shaped cookies? How cute! Do you have a cookie cutter for that?

The steak and shrimp dinner sounds delicious!

The kids' camp sounds like so much fun! I wish we had something like that around here!
Doesn't everyone have a Moose cookie cutter? LOL! Yes I do have one, I have a thing for Moose actually which is why. Though I was checking out this site today, www.cookiecutter.com, and couldn't believe all the ones they have!

Allyson :)

Allyson

I just got back from my solo trip and I was thinking of you when I was trying to find the lounge that you mentioned eating at, at Hollywood Studios, I never did find it.

You are going to have a blast, remember the single rider line, especially for the new Toy Story ride, fast pass line was huge but the single ride line was walk on, three different times I was there, and it was great.

I was amazed how quiet the parks were. I had great plans for 4 days at the park, and they soon went out the window when I realized how much I was getting done. I ended up doing everything I wanted to at the parks in 3 days and then had a free day to get to Typhooon Lagoon which was so much fun, but so busy.

You will have a great time.

Lisa

Allyson

I just got back from my solo trip and I was thinking of you when I was trying to find the lounge that you mentioned eating at, at Hollywood Studios, I never did find it.

You are going to have a blast, remember the single rider line, especially for the new Toy Story ride, fast pass line was huge but the single ride line was walk on, three different times I was there, and it was great.

I was amazed how quiet the parks were. I had great plans for 4 days at the park, and they soon went out the window when I realized how much I was getting done. I ended up doing everything I wanted to at the parks in 3 days and then had a free day to get to Typhooon Lagoon which was so much fun, but so busy.

You will have a great time.

Lisa
Hey Lisa! Welcome back! Please PM me if you have a minute and tell me more about your trip! I'd love to know if you had any moments of thinking "What have I done?" or if it was all you had hoped it would be all the time. I'm so excited but yet still get a little nervous now and then too! It sounds like you had a great time! And YEAH on the parks not being so crowded! Did you find being just one it was easier to manuever around anyways?

Oh and the Tune In Lounge is inside the 50s Prime Time Cafe!

Allyson

Hey Lisa! Welcome back! Please PM me if you have a minute and tell me more about your trip! I'd love to know if you had any moments of thinking "What have I done?" or if it was all you had hoped it would be all the time. I'm so excited but yet still get a little nervous now and then too! It sounds like you had a great time! And YEAH on the parks not being so crowded! Did you find being just one it was easier to manuever around anyways?

Oh and the Tune In Lounge is inside the 50s Prime Time Cafe!

Allyson

I am right there with you! I am excited and still somewhat nervous. I'm sure it will be silly in the end but up until I get there I'm sure i'll feel it.

Subbing

A whole trip to yourself? :rolleyes:
I wonder if my family would let me. :idea:
I hope you had a good time.

What did I do all day while they were gone? Well I got my Martha on!

Cleaned my whole downstairs, like the really good kind of cleaning not the quickie version
Grocery Shopped
Went to the library and the bank
Prepped and cooked a really great steak and shrimp dinner (I used this recipe for the shrimp, really good!)
Baked bread
Made Moose shaped Sugar Cookies
Went for a run

It was a really good productive day!

Yowza... that is quite a day! It would take me a week (at least!) to be that productive!! :rotfl:

17 days!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lisa - if you don't mind posting on this thread and Allyson if you don't mind the hijack, I would also be interested in the answers to all of the questions you asked above and any other tips for solo travelers! Allyson- hope the low crowds hold out for your visit! :wizard:

I am right there with you! I am excited and still somewhat nervous. I'm sure it will be silly in the end but up until I get there I'm sure i'll feel it.

Me too. Excited and nervous. Today more nervous than excited. Talked to someone who just doesn't "get it." :headache: Yes I am a grown-up and I'm going to WDW of my own accord. By myself. It was downhill from there...:sad2:

16 days now!!! :yay:

I had some catching up to do.
Your plans sound great!

Belle's birthday sounds fun!
I may try that human board game idea sometime.
My 10 year old DD is already talking about her next birthday party!:confused3
It is 6 months away. :rotfl:

The lost journal sounds interesting. I think I've looked at that a couple of times. I have been in a shopping mood lately. I'll have to look at it again.
And I'll have to get that Rick Springfield album, I didn't know he had a new one out. I have been a fan since I was a teen, and have quite a few of his songs on my mp3 player.

We interrupt this PTR with a bit of solo advice courtesy of mkmommy Lisa. She PM'd me and then gave me permission to post. I know there are other soon to be solo travellers reading and thought you might be interested in the info. I know I love hearing about other solo's trips. So here you go! Thanks Lisa!

You will have a blast, I don’t know about your kids but my daughters are opposites, and cannot agree on the colour of the sky, one likes to sleep in and the other is up at the crack of dawn, so going on my own lets me put away the referee whistle, which makes for such a stress free relaxing change.

I love to travel on my own, and Disney is a great place to do it, as I never felt unsafe and I was comfortable going out at night which I do not do when I go to other places. Anyone I mentioned to that I was travelling on my own said how lucky I was.

I was gone for 3 nights and 4 days and I did serious resort and park hopping. I work in the hotel industry so I love to stay at new resorts and this is something I would not do with the girls. I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk Inn and Grand Floridian. I lucked out on the upgrades and got ones at both the Animal Kingdom Lodge and my best yet, I got upgraded to main lodge concierge at the Grand Floridian, the young CM, thought travelling alone I should be in the main building, it was a real dream, it took 5 minutes from my room to main street at the Magic Kingdom. I think upgrades are much easier to come by when you are staying only 1 night. I had no problems transferring my luggage, and my room was always ready by 2:00 so I was able to sneak a nap in to refresh for the evening.

I arrived at MCO at 10:00 and was at the Animal Kingdom Lodge by 11:15, I know you have not used Magic Express before but it is the best. I had lunch at the hotel and then I was at the Animal Kingdom by 12:15. I was planning on taking it easy there, but I got a lot done, and got to see the Lion King show for the first time. I went back to the hotel for a nap and then went for dinner at Kona. My one sit down meal, it was so good, but I was amazed at how empty the restaurant was. I then took the bus to Hollywood Studios for Fantansmic. I also got in 3 rides via the single ride for Toy Story Mania, I can’t wait to take my girls to see this, they will love it. I am sure there will be times when you think I wish the kids were here, but if you know you are taking them another time it helps.

My original plan for Saturday was to finish up Animal Kingdom, but I had gotten everything done on Friday so I headed to Magic Kingdom, I am so glad I did as it was dead. I won 2 Magic Fast passes on Big Thunder Mountain first thing. It is my favorite ride and I did it 6 times before I left at 2:00. I then ended up at Epcot for Illuminations, and of course a few rides on Test track via the single line. I am not an Everest fan but when I was there last time with a friend I know she rode like 6 times straight via the single line, so I know that rides has one also.

Sunday I did Epcot. HS and then I ended up at MK for Wishes, and I got to see Tinkebell fly from the castle., and I stayed for some of the EMH. I was amazed at the number of families with small kids, my kids could never stay up that late and still function.

Travelling alone you move so much faster through the crowds, you will be amazed at how much you get down. I know you are a tour guide mike fan, and I followed his best parks and they were right on, so I am sure the crowds will be not an issue.
I talked to lots of wonderful people and never felt weird when I was eating alone, I planned on taking a book, but I ended up leaving that and the camera at the hotel and it was so wonderful going to the park with only park ticket, rain poncho and a small sunscreen tube. I did use the photopass and have joined a photopass share so I will have some pictures and I tend to take mostly pictures of the girls anyway.

Since I had everything done I wanted, by Sunday , I went to Typhoon Lagoon on Monday, and then relaxed at the hotel for the return Magic Express.

Travelling alone, you move so much faster through the crowds, and get so much done in a short period of time, you will be amazed at what you get accomplished. I lucked out on the weather, not once did I get an afternoon downpour, only about an hour of sprinkles on Friday.

You will love the Key to the Kingdom Tour, I did it last solo trip, I wish I had done one this trip, but I seriously thought I was going to cancel this trip, as I am heading back in 2 weeks with the girls, and did not book one. Maybe we will run into you, as we will be there Aug 18-23 we are staying at the Port Orleans, but the plan as of now is we are not doing the parks, the girls just want to hang out at the resort, but my 7 year old is starting to mention that maybe we should go to the parks for a day. I have 4 day park tickets left so I will make sure to pack them.

I think it is the first trip when I have come back with no regrets that I missed something, but I of course am thinking about the next trip. Next summer I would love to do a week alone with each girl, now I just have to convince my husband that it is a good idea.

Sorry for rambling, I just wish I was still there, yesterday at this time I was just sitting by the pool.

It is true! I am sure once it is over I'll think, what was I so nervous about?

Subbing

A whole trip to yourself? :rolleyes:
I wonder if my family would let me. :idea:
I hope you had a good time.
I haven't gone yet but I intend to have a great time! LOL! Yes it is selfish but heck, Moms need a break too!

Yowza... that is quite a day! It would take me a week (at least!) to be that productive!! :rotfl:

17 days!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lisa - if you don't mind posting on this thread and Allyson if you don't mind the hijack, I would also be interested in the answers to all of the questions you asked above and any other tips for solo travelers! Allyson- hope the low crowds hold out for your visit! :wizard:

Me too. Excited and nervous. Today more nervous than excited. Talked to someone who just doesn't "get it." :headache: Yes I am a grown-up and I'm going to WDW of my own accord. By myself. It was downhill from there...:sad2:
Oh don't let them bother you. I just don't tell anyone. The few I have told some have been excited for me and others have that kind of "Oh have a great time" but behind it you know they are thinking "Huh???". They don't get it. That is why we DISers have each other, we GET it!

16 days now!!! :yay:

I had some catching up to do.
Your plans sound great!

Belle's birthday sounds fun!
I may try that human board game idea sometime.
My 10 year old DD is already talking about her next birthday party!:confused3
It is 6 months away. :rotfl:

The lost journal sounds interesting. I think I've looked at that a couple of times. I have been in a shopping mood lately. I'll have to look at it again.
And I'll have to get that Rick Springfield album, I didn't know he had a new one out. I have been a fan since I was a teen, and have quite a few of his songs on my mp3 player.
Oh definately check out the Rick CD. I've been listening pretty much non stop the last few days and it gets better and better. I think the Lost Journal will be fun, I'm excited to try it out!

Now I want to book a solo trip :thumbsup2
2009 rates are out as you know. You could have your big family trip and a little solo getaway!

Allyson

We have hit the two week mark! Two weeks from right now I'll be wrapping up my first night at a park! I wonder where I'll be???? Kind of neat to think about!

I don't live near a Home Depot and the few times I've passed one have not been good times to stop. So I had clip art of a green Mickey head, not really lime, but green. I added my screen name to it and printed and laminated. It will hang off the Baggalini. If I get the opportunity in the next 2 weeks to hit HD perhaps I will but if not this should be enough of a sign to other DISers that I am one of them! LOL! I am making a TGM one as well.

What is left to do?

*I need to send my friend in Orlando our ADR number for Cape May. Someone told me she might need it in order to park at the Beach Club. I'm excited to have dinner with her!

*Buy postcard stamps. And are there postcard stamps for Canada? Two of my Fairygodmailer kids are Canadian. My plan is to buy the cards and write them out while eating at Kona on Friday night.

*Go through my toiletries and see if there is anything else I need to buy. I know I need some cheapy ponchos.

*Show DH how to check me in online for Southwest. I won't have my laptop and for my return I am hoping he can just go online and do it for me. I've never flown Southwest. If he screws it up (he'll be up in Maine and I can totally see him forgetting) and I end up in C how bad is that? A middle seat?

*Get tip envelopes ready

*Photocopy Ticket

*Get ADR numbers packed along with travel information

I found a small mister and tiny fan that I bought at CVS the other day. I also ordered a Chilly Pad tonight. I figure I can use it when running and working out but I think I might bring it on the trip too. It is a towel that you wet and wring and it stays cold for a few hours. To reactivate you just wet and wring again. It can keep you cool without dripping water all over you. A friend recommended it to me.

And as far as packing, I've never gone in August. mkmommy recommended extra outfits and that sounds smart. I would imagine feeling hot and sweaty it would be nice to change in the afternoon. I was thinking of bringing one sweatshirt in case it is cool in the AC. Would you? I do tend to get cold if I'm in frigid AC. I might even pack a pair of capris, I do wear them all summer long. And I guess mostly Ts and tank tops for shirts.

Tomorrow I am off to Cape Cod. The Admin Team (4 of us) from work are off for an overnight retreat. We are staying at a co-workers beach house. So I'll drop the kids at camp then drive to work to meet the rest of the gang and someone else is driving to the Cape. I'm hoping it is a good trip but the weather looks pretty stinky for being on the Cape, cool and rainy. Then Saturday we come home early and at night I am taking my girls to the American Idol concert. David Cook, here I come!

Just read your entire PTR. Have a wonderful time. I took notice because your birthday is the same as mine October 1st!!! :goodvibes

Wow lots of October birthdays, mine in Oct 3.

I get cold all the time and I wear a fleece sweater at work pretty much all year long and I did not find the restaurants cold. I did take a sweatshirt and did not use it. I did take a light windbreaker in the evenings, and it was nice for the bus ride to the park in the afternoon as the busses were usually empty and cooler, but the evenings in general were so nice temperature wise.

Have a nice weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter