The Decoy Trip that turned into a Dream - The End. 7/5, Page 22.

Thanks! :goodvibes You, too! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if I don't have all this planning to do. :rotfl:

I know how you feel!! Why do you think I'm on here now!! I gotta find just one more tip, or I gotta read just one more trip report...I feel so lost...guess I'll start packing instead!! :thumbsup2

I know how you feel!! Why do you think I'm on here now!! I gotta find just one more tip, or I gotta read just one more trip report...I feel so lost...guess I'll start packing instead!! :thumbsup2

I know! Since I'm way more organized than I thought, I have been trying to catch up on a couple of trip reports I was reading, but too far behind to be "part" of, if you know what I mean. :) And, you never know what I'm going to learn... ;)

Bonus, by the way! I got the laundry out, and so the ME tags are attached to the boys' bags and my big suitcase!!! They are ready to go!

I still need to shower tonight (I'm not a morning person; the 6:00 alarm is going to hurt, and that's not leaving time for a shower...) and so my "shampoo" checked bag isn't quite ready. I'm close, though!

Hi everyone! :wave2:

I'm C.E., and I have just returned from a 5 night/6 day trip to WDW!

I wrote a pre-trip report. You can find it here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1320954

I kind of treated the pre-trip as a little more of a blog - while there are some planning decisions and so forth, there are also theories about my traveling style, moose sightings, etc. :) Read it if you want, but I'll repeat the most important points here.

I'll try to keep an index running on the first page of the post, too!

First up, introductions and a recap of the pre-trip!

First, as always, introductions:

Me: C.E. - (my first and middle initials. I'd tell you my first name, really, I would, except that it is very unique. I live in NH. If I told you my first name, and you Googled it with "NH", my amazon.com wish list is the first thing that comes up. My wish list also gives my last name, and my town. Since I'm going to post pictures of my kids here, that makes me a little nervous. SO... If you really want to know, and I "know" you from the boards, PM me and I'll tell you! :)) But, my mom still sometimes calls me C.E., so it doesn't feel quite so much like an alias!

I am 35, a SAHM. I grew up in Central Illinois, but now live in NH due to DH's job. We like it here!

I went to WDW in 1977, when MK was all that was there. We stayed with family friends and just did a day trip. I went back in 2000 for a friend's on-site wedding, staying at the ASMo, with maybe 3 day PH's. It was fun! DH couldn't go, but I went with Dr. Belle (you'll meet her in a minute.) I've been to DL several times with an aunt who lived in Southern CA as I was growing up, so feel more familiar there (and therefore somewhat with MK over the other WDW parks.)

DH: D. Also 35. Corporate pilot (not an airline, a private company with planes.) Also an Illinois native, but from the Chicago suburbs. Went to Disney in 1985, when Epcot was pretty new, but that was it.

Woody: DS5. Older twin by 4 minutes. Acts like Woody - his way is the best, and he'll report you if you do wrong. :) He's actually a very sweet kid. Enjoys Power Rangers and Cars best of all, but loves most anything Disney. Just finished preschool. He's my melodramatic one - either very happy or very sad.

Buzz: DS5. Younger by 4 minutes, but taller by 2 inches (this plays into the report.) A little more tentative in most things. Definitely the mellower one, but can be stubborn as all get out. Loves Buzz most, but also just about anything Disney.

Dr. Belle: Doesn't go on the trip, but is my Disney source. She's a WDW College Program alum, goes to Disney much more than I do. :) Belle, because she's brunette with brown eyes, independent, smart, and pretty! Dr. because she's a college prof with her PhD. :) We've been friends since age 4. She lives in IL.

Pretrip recap:
This is called The Decoy Trip because DH was trying to surprise me with a two-of-us trip to Ireland. To distract me from looking over his shoulder on his laptop, he said he was looking at a Disney trip. I got so excited about that, that we ended up deciding to go ahead to WDW instead. So, it's all on him! We talked about trying to go in January, but May seemed a better option for several reasons.

We booked the trip just after the first of the year. D. really wanted to do a deluxe resort, and so 5 nights was about what we could swing. We chose the AKL because of the bunk beds for the boys, and D. was very excited about the animals. I made ADR's in March, I think, and got a good deal on Southwest for flights a couple of months ago as well. Asked a lot of questions on the DIS, read the Unofficial Guide, and was raring to go! :thumbsup2

We were on an 8:45 a.m. plane on 5/27 out of our local airport. Luckily, the airport is only a 20 minute drive from our house, so I was able to set the alarm for 6:00. It was fairly warm and hazy at home.

I got up and got dressed, then woke up the boys (including DH.) The kids ate some Cheerios while we loaded up the van. We wanted to be out of the door by 7:00, and I think we made it.

DH dumped the bags, boys, and me at curbside check in, then drove over to a nearby hotel that offers cheap long-term parking. The boys and I got through security with absolutely no line and no problems! I got myself a little breakfast biscuit and some coffee at McD's inside the gate area, and about then D. showed up through security as well - no problems parking the car or getting the shuttle.

Since it was the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, the airport was fairly empty - I suppose everyone was where they wanted to be already! I had checked in online the previous morning, so we had the A group for boarding. We were probably about the 10th folks on the plane, and it was pretty empty!

Here's Buzz waiting at the gate:
Disney003.jpg

D. and Buzz got one row, with Buzz on the window, and Woody & I sat right across from them. Both rows ended up having no one else joining us, so we could spread out as far as under seat storage, trays, etc.

The boys had their Leapsters with them, and some coloring books, and did OK on the flight. We flew into IL in February, and that was just a slightly shorter flight. They both got a little antsy, but Woody managed a nap, which helped.
Disney004.jpg

We got a little granola bar kind of thing, and some drinks, and the flight was smooth. We arrived early! :goodvibes

Gathering our stuff off the plane, we headed for the tram to the terminal. The boys liked the tram. In fact, we got off, and Buzz said, "That was FUN!" This boded well for WDW, if he liked that ride! :lmao:

We found the ME line after quite a bit of walking. We had used the yellow ME tags, so at least didn't have to go collect our bags. D. and the boys waited in chairs while I went through the check-in line. It moved very quickly, and we were in line for a bus in just a few minutes.

There were quite a few lines going, but we had under a ten minute wait for our "motorcoach", which was going to Pop and the AKL. As our line started moving, Buzz again cracked me up by chanting "Disney! Disney!" as we moved out into the hot Florida day. We were still running a bit earlier than I had anticipated, so I was very pleased!

It took just under 30 minutes to get to Pop, the first stop, then about 10 to the AKL. It was just about 1:00 when we arrived.

All in all, very smooth travels and things going better than I hoped. However, the next part was not so magical... ;)

Am I first? Whooohoooo I am :banana: Great start can't wait for more popcorn::

I can't believe how late you can get to the airport we have to be there at least 3 hours before take off!!!

Am I first? Whooohoooo I am :banana: Great start can't wait for more popcorn::

I can't believe how late you can get to the airport we have to be there at least 3 hours before take off!!!

We usually can get there an hour early and be more than fine. Our local airport is not tiny, but not large, and so the security doesn't usually take too long. We gave ourselves another half hour for the car parking so that D. would have his hour as well. We really didn't wait very long before they started boarding!

I am sure it's easier as "domestic" as well. ;)

So far so good. I can't wait to hear more. Your boys are adorable. I hope you took a lot of pictures. Keep it coming.

So, we gathered our carry on bags and headed into the AKL.

The first glimpse was just amazing. It is SO well done. We headed right over to check in, and there was no line, which was terrific.

I knew we were early, so I didn't really know if we'd have a room yet or not.

But, they did. The check-in CM was very friendly, and gave the kids "1st Time Visitor" badges right away. We got a handy folder with a map of the lodge, with the daily activities available listed on the back, a brochure about the DDP (which I knew already, but handy to have anyway) and some other stuff. Our room was ready! Hooray!

We got our Keys to the World and headed off in search of room 2363. Yes, we had the map.

No, we didn't realize how far away it would be.

2363 is at the far end of the Kudu trail, at the VERY end of the horseshoe, in one of the two little angled wings at the end.

If you're not familiar with the AKL, the lobby is on the 3rd floor. The elevators to the guest wings are in the middle of the "horseshoe" shaped wings.

I think we walked for 10 minutes to get to the room. ;)

We opened it up, yes, there are the coveted bunk beds!

We ran to the balcony, threw open the curtains, and....

Um, no.

Construction. About 20 feet of "savannah" with one lonely ostrich.

Lots of construction vehicles.

D. and I looked at each other. The boys were quite happily already claiming the bunks, but we were not thrilled. D. asked if we should call down. I said "Yes, please!"

I know they are building DVC villas there. I knew that before we went. But, we were paying for "savannah view" - that's no longer a freebie request, it's part of your reservation. The room was hell and gone from anything (we didn't even know yet how far away the park bus stops were from the lobby.) And, if that's a savannah, then I'm a kudu. :rotfl:

I wish I had taken a picture, but my stomach was too busy sinking. :sad1:

D. got on the phone to the front desk. No problem, they had something else (I suppose maybe because we were checking in early...)

So, we trekked another 10 minutes back up to the lobby. D. went to the desk and got a map with our new room assignment. This time, 3411, on the Zebra trail. D. was heading off to check it out before the boys and I joined him, but it turned out to be just 3 rooms down the "trail." If it had been one room closer we would have asked for another change, as we were just on the edge of the savannah as it was, but it seemed much better. We immediately saw some zebra and some antelopish type creatures. Phew!

We were a little worried about the noise levels being bad later on, since we were so close to the lobby and therefore on the way to all the other Zebra trail rooms, but decided to try it. The guy at the check-in when D. went to get the 2nd room had said that they would be much less busy on Tues., post holiday weekend, so we figured we could move if need be on Tuesday morning.

Luckily, we never had a problem with it, and stayed put. :)

We had really planned to head straight out to the parks. It was now about 2:00. But, the boys, in typical 5-year-old, let's be contrary fashion, decided that they wanted to go swimming. I had packed swim suits and a little stick of sunscreen in our carry-ons (the checked baggage hadn't come in yet) and so off we went to the pool.

So far so good. I can't wait to hear more. Your boys are adorable. I hope you took a lot of pictures. Keep it coming.

Thanks!

We took a number of pictures, but mostly of character meets. I thought we'd take more, but we were just having too much fun! :)

So, here are some pictures from the new and good hotel room. I forgot them before! This was what we saw immediately upon arrival in the better room.
Disney010.jpg

Here's the room from the balcony door:
Disney011.jpg

Disney009.jpg

Here's the view on the way to the pool - this is just outside of Jiko.
Disney013.jpg

We headed down to the pool, per the boys' request, and they had a fine time. PrincessV had a night there and commented that the pool water is very clear, but that it looks overall as if a hippo is going to arise out of it at any minute. I think that the bottom of the pool is painted to give this "water hole" effect, but it's very odd!

The boys got in at the zero entry area, but quickly swam over to the slide area and took it over. We had warned them that they'd only have about an hour, and that seemed to be OK. Woody took right to the slide, Buzz had to be talked into it, but then also didn't want to do anything else.

Drying off, we realized that we hadn't fed the children! :scared1: Bad, bad parents... :)

So, we decided to try our first foray into the DDP and use some QS credits at The Mara. We were really all set to just get some things from the "grab and go" section, but Buzz became stubborn (I've mentioned this tendency, no?) and insisted upon a hamburger. Sadly, the line was slightly long for that, but oh well. Since we were in line anyway, D. grabbed a falafel pita as well. Woody and I each grabbed a turkey sandwich from the cooler, and D. and I indulged in a beer a piece. Not on the DDP, but totally worth it!

After some quick dining, it was time to head out to the parks!

You're off to a great start. I can't believe they would even put anyone in that first room. At least they changed it for you.:thumbsup2 The second rooms looks better and sounds better. You're not bad parents for not feeding them. They apparently forgot also, cause they didn't tell ya.:rotfl: I can't wait to here more.:surfweb:

CMP,
Sounds like you have a great start to a wonderful vacation. I think people aren't going to be happy with all the construction while the DVC is being built, but I don't know what else Disney can do. Anyway, you got the room you wanted and it worked out. Thanks for the pictures of the you at the Crystal Palace in our email at home. I showed them to Dana this morning when I opened your email and he immediately said CP. We love that character meal. Can't wait until our September trip. We are going to try the BWV. We love our "home" at SSR, but it is fun to try all of them at least once. Can't wait to read the rest of your trip report.

Love from the Trimbles in Illinois!

So far sounds good! Can't wait to read the rest popcorn::

Thanks for reading! I hope I can keep it interesting!

Oh I love that view from your 2nd room!!! NICE!!

Can't wait to read more!

Thanks so much! It was an awesome view, and we had animals a lot closer in later on - pictures to come!

CMP,
Sounds like you have a great start to a wonderful vacation. I think people aren't going to be happy with all the construction while the DVC is being built, but I don't know what else Disney can do. Anyway, you got the room you wanted and it worked out. Thanks for the pictures of the you at the Crystal Palace in our email at home. I showed them to Dana this morning when I opened your email and he immediately said CP. We love that character meal. Can't wait until our September trip. We are going to try the BWV. We love our "home" at SSR, but it is fun to try all of them at least once. Can't wait to read the rest of your trip report.

Love from the Trimbles in Illinois!

Thanks! :) Did Dr. Belle ;) get back fine? I had a short message from her yesterday... Those pictures from CP will be on the report later on, but I had to share with my list! I'm glad they came through well.

My friend from the boys' preschool does BWV sometimes and likes it a lot. They stayed at the BC last month, though. I wish we'd had time to kind of tour a few other resorts, but maybe next time! Hugs to you all... :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter