The Decoy Trip that turned into a Dream - The End. 7/5, Page 22.

I am SOOOO excited! :cool1: We had horrible drama with flight planning. I mentioned in my last post that Southwest had published their fares, but they weren't as cheap as I had wanted. We kind of hemmed and hawed and just waited.

Last week, Southwest raised their fares even more. :eek:

So, I finally bit the bullet and started looking at flights out of Boston. We don't live too far from Boston, but traffic and parking are MUCH harder for us down there, so if we can fly out of our NH airport, we will. However, we were going to save $500 on flights. It would cost us around $50 more in parking, but I finally decided to really resign myself to the parking problems to save $450.

I *almost* bought my flights last night. The fares were steadily going up (try the site www.kayak.com if you haven't. They are purely an info service, gathering the fares and trends, but take you directly to the airlines' sites for booking, so that they are not taking fees or anything.) Anyway, kayak assured me that flights were not going to head down, but I just didn't do it last night. No good reason, really...

THANK GOODNESS!

I sat down just now to book, and just for kicks decided to look at Southwest one last time. They have dropped the price over $700 since yesterday (for the four of us total) and it's about $200 less than the flight out of Boston, plus the savings for our parking, the 20 minute drive to the airport instead of the hour, the shorter security lines... :wizard: Have a magical day!!!

So, I am booked. :banana: We fly in just before noon - plenty of time to take the ME and do something fun that afternoon/evening. We flight out at about 5:30 our last evening, so that we ought to even be able to do a couple of last fun things that day, too. It's exactly what I wanted. :)

I still need to call - I am hoping that since I've not paid WDW except the deposit, they may give me the PH option that they would give had I booked now. No big deal if not - I have my plan - but it never hurts to ask.

Tax money came in fine, and we are good to go.

Belle gave me a Baggalini for my b-day last month, fully stocked with supplies. She is the bomb. :thumbsup2

I need to call in the next several days to make my final payment. I also have one TS meal left on my DDP credits. Since I was able to get the flight times I wanted (bless you, Southwest) I can either book an ADR for the evening meal of the day we arrive (5/27, the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend) or for a breakfast or lunch on the day we leave (6/1, the following Friday.)

We do not have Park hoppers, and with the deal seemingly gone, I doubt that we'll get them.

I had thought of arriving, checking in (our flight arrives at 11:50 a.m.), then heading to MK. MK has EMH that night. However, I also wouldn't mind going somewhere else and "saving" MK for the first full day of fun... I can't find anything as a TS meal that appeals to me within the MK for dinner. We are doing Crystal Palace for lunch the next day.

So, should we instead go to Epcot that first night, for example, as a partial day thing that day, and make ADR's somewhere in the 20 restaurants that sound good to me there? Should I try to have a breakfast or lunch on the day we leave - our flight leaves at 5:45 p.m., but I don't know when they will want us to show up for ME back to the airport.

I don't have any ADR's at a resort aside from Boma, as we're staying at AKL. How easy would it be to eat at another resort and then get to or from a park on our "partial days" at the beginning or end? Should I forget it and just add another TS meal during my full days at any park? As a reminder, my plan is:

5/27 (Sunday) - arrive noonish, was thinking MK, but can change it.
5/28 (Monday, Mem. Day) - MK with lunch at CP
5/29 (Tues.) - Epcot, dinner ADR at Marrakesh
5/30 (Wed.) - AKL, breakfast ADR at Donald's B-saurus, kids in Simba Club and date night for DH & me!
5/31 (Thurs.) - MGM, dinner ADR at Boma
6/1 - ??? park in the air, was thinking of letting kids pick favorite to return. Flight out at 5:45.

Suggestions, guidance, whatever, will be vastly appreciated! :)

Hey, girl.

This is, um, Belle, cmp's enabler. :o

I'm so excited about your airfare. It just occurred to me over the weekend that hadn't heard lately about your quest for reasonable airfare. Great score.

Someone suggested earlier that Chef Mickey's sets a great tone for the trip, and I think that's a great idea. The food is fun, the atmosphere is fun, and there's no standing in line for characters. It'll also give you a chance to gauge how the boys will deal with characters (love 'em or leave 'em) for the rest of the trip.

AND, because Chef Mickey's is conveniently located to MK, you can go to MK for a few hours, walk or monorail to the Contemporary, and then go back to MK for EMH if you're feeling brave.

Plus that means you start the trip at MK where the magic started. Even though it's not my favorite park, it's hard for me to imagine starting a trip at any other park.

it's hard for me to imagine starting a trip at any other park.

Yeah, see, I think it may be their favorite, and, with my lack of WDW history, it's the one I know best. I have read on some other threads that if we start there, they may not want to go to the others, or none of the others will measure up. I think they'll like the others fine, but didn't know whether or not to start off with a bang. :) And, with EMH, it may be totally crowded. But, it's my instict to go there, and Chef Mickey's would be fun if we can get there easily. They could sing "Monorail!" :woohoo:

Thanks, darlin'. And, yes. I was very, very excited about my airfare. :yay:

:confused3

Hmm.

I'd say "yes" because they're all offer such different things.

For instance, for your aviation-inclined family, Soarin' will just be amazing. Then, Woody (oops! blanked out on name you chose for him in the cast of characters and thought I would need to refer to him as the short kid) can't see the Red Power Ranger anywhere but the Studios. And we all know that the hippos at AK are cooler than the ones on The Jungle Cruise.

:)

However, if they become fixated and their fixation causes your DH anxiety, just remind him that the point of vacation is to have fun--not to mark off items on a check list. All of Mel Happyhaunts trip reports point out that ride reiteration can be a good thing. :thumbsup2

So, I made the final payment today. Woohoo!!! We're really, truly, going. :banana: (I knew this, but still...)

On other news - treating this more like a blog than a pre-trip report - it snowed about 7 inches last Wed. night and we lost power for 16 hours. Most of the snow has melted, but now they are saying we are under a winter storm watch for this Wed. night/Thursday morning. I am angry at this. Very, very angry. Florida sounds better. :)

Also, I saw a moose in my driveway this evening! A real, live, huge moose.

Here's how you know when you're obsessed with Disney and all things Mickey Mouse.

When your eyes read "moose" and your brain thinks "oh, a mouse, it's a good sign for cmp's Disney trip!"

I've gotta get my behind to WDW before December, because I'm clearly going through withdrawal. Who knows what other words I'll mis-read in this state! :rotfl:

Yeah, no, it was a moose. Linus started barking and I looked over expecting to see the neighbor's dog, his best friend, and it was a moose. I ran in the house yelling, "Moose, moose, moose, moose!!!!" but DH and the kids couldn't get out in time to see it.

SO, on the actual trip front, my ME passes and tags arrived today! I was thrilled to see more proof!

On another happy note, the weather finally seemed like spring today - 61 and sunny - and so I am a much happier mama. I am solar powered. :laughing: Of course the weather is supposed to be back to 50's and rain by the boys' birthday next Friday. Sigh.

I started a thread on the family board for suggestions on the wrapped present that will announce to the kids that we are going on the trip, but if anyone who is reading this report has suggestions, I'd appreciate them. Something fairly simple and obvious for kids who can't read much yet, and nothing too expensive as the trip is the main course.:rolleyes1

So, here's a picture of the calendar that DM and I ended up doing. She's a retired first grade teacher - great with the scissors and glue - and we had fun with construction paper Mickey ears, etc. The big birthday is Friday, so I'll let you know how the secret revealing goes, but isn't this cute?

March07001.jpg

We cleverly used our LGMHs from Home Depot and traced them on red construction paper - those are the actual trip days. The small blue numbers are the real dates, the large black ones are the countdown days. She is making 30 Mickey gloves out of construction paper to use to cover up the days (rather than x-ing them out.) I am really pleased!

On another happy note, my formal itinerary papers and the luggage tags (not the ME ones, but the hard plastic name-and-address ones) arrived in the mail yesterday. Woohoo! I paid AmEx with the tax money, so that is done. Spending money for souveniers (and adult beverages, let's be honest) is all that I have left to worry about on that end.

Totally my fault, but I kept meaning to call to make the ADR for Chef Mickey's, but just remembered today. Now, they have nothing until VERY late for dinner. So...

First night at MK, should I try to stick with a character meal and try Liberty Tree, or should we try Tony's to stay in the Park, or try Ohana? Or, again, I could use the last TS meal on a different day, and not do anything that first night.

Help!

So, the boys had their big 5th birthday on Friday! It was so much fun - a pool party at our gym. But, the highlight of my morning was the presentation of the calendar. Woody, though, who had announced to me about a week ago that "we are going to Disney in May" and I said, "Why do you think that?" and he replied, "Because I want to."

So, he said, upon sounding out "Days to Disney" on the calendar "I was RIGHT." Did I mention his attitude before? :)

Here's a picture
Boybirthday07002.jpg

This was taken actually yesterday, because we did video of the actual presentation, and I haven't found our cord to connect the recorder to the computer. Hmmm.

So, we are all very excited.

I still don't know what to do about that first night, now that Chef Mickey's seems out of the question.

The boys' school friend who have DVC are heading off in 2 days to do 10 days in the BC. And, found out that another school friend just booked Sunday for about 6 nights in two weeks. I am excited for them, too - though a bit jealous that they get to go first! ;) Just kidding. I hope that they come back with some pointers and good stories. I told them that they should come to the DIS for extra great info!:cheer2:

Hi just found your report, sounds great so far. Your boys are adorable. O'Hanas is a cool place to eat and they have fun things for the kids to do too and if you time it right you can see the fireworks over the castle from there. Keep posting love reading:goodvibes

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I like the sound of Ohana myself. Hmmm. :)

Love the calendar, and, of course, the boys' goofy grins.

Goofy grins--see they're already dressing for Disney.

I like Liberty Tree Tavern because the food is yummy and character visits aren't rushed, but I haven't (yet) been to Ohana's, so I can't make a comparison.

According to reports, Ohana's is more lively.

I guess I'd suggest you think about how long you want to push the boys at a park on the first night. If you think they'll be good to go for a while, book LTT and stick around MK. If they might be going into sensory overload, skedaddle out of MK and hop on the monorail to the Poly.

Geez, you'd think I was a therapist the way I answered your question with a question. Now everyone on the DIS knows I have commitment issues. :rotfl2:

Hi cmp111,
Good pre-trip report. The pictures are great and I love the calendar. I know you and all your DF will have a great time. We are contemplating a quick trip the beginning of September and then of course we have our long trip in December. Can't wait for that one. Anyway, we have eaten at both Ohana's and LTT. DH and I really preferred LTT, but our DS and family really like Ohana's. I do think for the kids it is more exciting, nosier, etc. However, DH and I like the quietness of LTT and the characters there. I do feel you get more time with them at LTT because the place is not as busy nor as big. If you like meat for a meal, you won't be unhappy with Ohanas. If you like a variety of things and good down home cooking, you would like LTT. Basically, you need to decide what you think would work best for you on that day. If you are doing alot of the parks and you think the boys might be really tired, I think LTT would be best. They could over-load at Ohanas if you aren't careful. If you have had a quiet day and they are ready to go, try Ohana's. DGD likes Ohana's, but the first time she went, she was pretty scaried of the characters and all the noise. However, since she is older, she likes to participate in the "sweeping of the coconut shells" around the room. The last time we were there, we got to watch "Wishes" from the restaurant and it was great.

Good Luck with your decision, it won't really matter which one you choose, because they are both great places and you will be WDW (our favorite place in the whole wide world).

Love you all from Illinois,
Binnie
:thumbsup2 :grouphug:

Thanks, Binnie. :) I hope you get to go in September! Good to know about Ohana being loud. I'm not sure what to expect that first day. We'll have to be up early to be at the airport, and then with checking in, getting oriented, etc. I don't know how much we'll do that first night. The boys are pretty good in restaurants, but it will be a long day by dinner time. Woody can be either totally charming or can just flip out if he's too overwhelmed... Since, as you know, we always travel to family, I don't know how we'll do with the chage of scene. :)

I want to "go go go" but I have to remember the short legged people with me. :) How does your DGD do as far as stamina? Love to you all, too!

I tried to call today to get LTT, but alas, nothing until really late. So I tried Ohana - totally booked. :( I ended up with 8:15 ADRs at Tony's Town Square that night. Not ideal, but maybe we could just hit the park for a bit, eat, and head straight out for an early start the next morning.

I should have called right when I got the flight info, dag nab it! Ah, well. Woody wants to eat with Lightning McQueen - had to explain that he wouldn't be available for a meal :) - but I think they'll be happy with everything else planned.

Hi there! Followed the link from your restaurant thread and just wanted to give you a shout... one end of May traveler to the other! :goodvibes

Your boys are really cute - I can't wait to read all about your trip once you get back. You're going to have such a great time.

And I'm especially interested to know what you and your DH will have to say about Raglan Road. :goodvibes

Hi there! Followed the link from your restaurant thread and just wanted to give you a shout... one end of May traveler to the other! :goodvibes

Your boys are really cute - I can't wait to read all about your trip once you get back. You're going to have such a great time.

And I'm especially interested to know what you and your DH will have to say about Raglan Road. :goodvibes

Thanks, Brenda! I am reading yours, but hate to comment on stuff happening three weeks ago. When I catch up, I'll say hi! I love all your food planning - DH thinks I'm a little nuts for having to think about all this in advance, but it will de-stress the actual trip, right? :)

So, we have been marking off the days, and with 17 to go, I'm feeling good. I have a packing list started, but I haven't been able to start packing. I figured to be able to pack the summer stuff up, mostly, before we left, but it was 91 at one point here in the Northeast today, so we are wearing the summer stuff. :scared1: I think it's supposed to cool off over the weekend, so hopefully I can get some of it washed and tucked away without us missing it. I'm sorry, but that's hotter than we usually are in July, even. I wouldn't mind if we had A/C, but who needs A/C in NH? Right... :laughing: We have a lovely window unit that really does do a great job in the entire downstairs, but it isn't in yet, because it's MAY for goodness' sakes.

Anywho, I have been stressing slightly over shoes for all of us. I have some Teva "Pretty Rugged" sandals that I adore, and was planning to wear. I'd tried on some Crocs, but I have narrow feet and wasn't feeling the love. I know all the guidebooks say to wear sneakers, but hot, wet socks in FL in May just do not sound good to me. I am pretty sure I hiked around in my old beloved Tevas on my 2000 trip, so I am good. DH (I've decided to do initials for the two of us, so, officially introducing him as D.) will just have to figure his own self out. :)

The boys have nice broken in sneakers, but their nice broken in sandals (Teva style, though not the brand) do not fit this year, of course. They mostly lived last summer in Merrill flip-flops, but I'm vetoing flips for all of us at the parks (my preferred pair of Tevas for the last 3 years - not the same pair, but style - have been flips as well. I never thought I'd use them in parks, zoos, walking the city, etc., but they are super awesome.They are the Olowahu style and the thong is narrow and I can deal with it.) Still, don't want to lose flips on the rides, so...

Last week we were at the mall and both boys tried on the Disney Crocs. They worked great for Buzz, who's been fitted as a "wide" at least once, but Woody, like me, has skinny feet and he didn't think they fit. He then threw a flippy fit about why his brother would get Mickey shoes but he wouldn't, etc., etc. Also, he LOVES red and no one had the smaller sizes of the red Disney's anyway.

So, we talked about comfort and I think I'd had him talked into just some sort of other red sandals. Because it was so hot today inside our house, I decided that shoe shopping was in order - the car has A/C and so do stores. :)

Our first stop was to a local store that is supposed to be discount, but on the pricey name brands, so that shoes there aren't cheap, they are just cheaper for the brand, if you follow me. They carry Crocs, but no Disney styles. That was a no-go, but both boys did try them on again, and, WOOHOO, it seems like a smaller size for Woody will work. I picked up a new pair of the Olowahus for myself, just because, and that was that. However... I did try a pair of the Mary Jane style Crocs and they actually seemed to work - again, going a size lower than I would normally look to buy! So, I may need to revisit that in a few days...

Then we headed back up to the mall. The other thing I've been stressing about is shorts for the boys and for me. I have about 3 pair that I like, which is normally fine because I do wear them a couple of times in a row before washing if they aren't soiled... ;) However, that wasn't going to cut it at Disney for 6 days, especially as I feel that they WILL get dirty there.

The boys have a few shorts from last year that probably will still fit. Both are pretty slim, and so as long as the waist works, the length of shorts these days leave no problem. However, Woody, in particular is, well, particular about his clothes. He picks out outfits every day - matching or not - and really isn't fond of denim. He prefers sweat pants through the winter and doesn't have much interest in the 4 pairs of jean shorts that he owns. So, I started thinking about a) having enough "non jean shorts" shorts to take, because of b) maybe wanting to change after the swim breaks in the p.m. and c) not being able to wear his favorite pair every other day as he does here because, at 5 nights, I'm not planning on :laundy: at the World. :laughing:

The store that had some Disney Crocs last week was out this week, so we just tried another pair or two on for size, and left with no shoes. But, we went to Old Navy and they had some shorts that I would call "basketball" shorts - the shiny knit material of uniform shorts - 2 for $15. We picked up a pair for each, not too bad. We then did hit the Disney store and they had the same kind of shorts, but in RED (key, there, the ones at Old Navy were blue and gray) at 2 for $25, so we picked up a pair for each kid. They also had the PJ Pals at 2 for $25 (I don't think that's a sale, but it's reasonable when I have to buy 2 at a time...) and so Woody got some new Power Rangers pj's and Buzz picked out PotC ones.

(Side track, but I love the way Buzz pronounces "Caribbean." He puts the emphasis on the "an" syllable and it's just too cute!)

Then, we wandered over to the clearance rack and found boys' t-shirts on a "50% off the sale price" and so they both picked up a t-shirt for $2.49! Sticking to the pj theme, Power Rangers for Woody and PotC for Buzz.

I found this for myself. :) I think it's super cute! I still don't have enough shorts for myself, but...

Boybirthday07.jpg

Cute, no?

We got home, I put the boys to bed, and did order them the Disney Crocs from the Crocs website. Sadly, had to pay shipping, and I do hope that they come on time to get a little breaking in done, but it's done. Woody, of course, chose red, and Buzz wanted the blue.

So, they are better set on shorts that they may actually want to wear. I talked with them a bit about having no laundry and they would have to wear what I pack without complaining (aiming mostly at Woody) and I think they are on board - today, at least. :rolleyes1 I might still need a pair, but I picked up a really cute pair at Eddie Bauer last week and might return for another pair or two of those. A pair that last year was too small are fitting me fine today :yay: and that does help.

Nearing the two week mark, what am I forgetting??? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter