• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I'm dying to take my daughter to a Broadway show!! She isn't even a year yet... I may start a count down!!!
My daughter is not even 2 months yet so we have a ways to go before she could sit through a Broadway show, but the whole experience of NYC and a Broadway show is a must when she grows up.

I really hope Disney and Broadway keep doing shows in the future. I would love to take my daughter to NYC and a Broadway show when she is older.

I remember my daughters first broadway show- she was 4 and it was Beauty and the Beast- she still has the rose that they sold there in her room. My brother has been buying a subscription for her since she was about 7 to a local theatre so she sees about 8 shows a year there (8 years worth is 64 shows!) plus all the broadway ones we see- She may eventually run out of shows LOL. There are a few that she has seen multiple times and others she says "NEVER again" (sunday in the park with George being one of those!!!)

I have a question about rush tickets. Does anyone know if they are available for the matinees, or just the evening shows? I've learned that a friend will be in NYC at the same time we are, and I'm trying to figure out a time to meet up with her. DD and I would like to see Curious Incident and I was going to try for rush tickets, but now we are thinking we'd rather do a matinee and then have dinner with our friend. SO... rush tickets (if I can get them, although I've been lucky in this regard before) are cheaper/better seats (IME) but are they usually available for matinees as well as evenings? If not, I'm not going to hustle to the theater for 9am... I'll just suck it up and pay more at TKTS. After all, how frequently do we get to NYC from Maine??

This is a really good site that lets you know the rush policies for all of the shows: http://www.broadwayspotted.com/lottery-rush-policies/

They also have a weekly report on how the lines are every week to give you an idea on what the rush lines were like, so you have an idea how early you should get on line (although that varies by week, especially if there are holidays): http://www.broadwayspotted.com/category/rush-report/

Also, Curious Incident does have $27 seats that you can get in advance. They're in the last back rows of the balcony, but that's where I sat, and the view was fine from up there. I got my ticket a week before I saw the show, so you should check Telecharge now to see what they have available- it's a great deal!

And if you have to spend a little more, it's totally worth it for Curious Incident, that is a fantastic play!

I saw Chicago for the first time yesterday! My friend and I decided to rush the 3:00 show and ended up with 2nd row seats!

I didn't know Brandy was in as Roxie currently- she was fantastic. Our Velma was good, but I had nobody to compare her to. I loved our Mama Morton and Amos.

I saw Chicago in 1997. Marilu Henner was Roxie, Bebe Neuwirth (a favorite of mine) was Velma, Joel Grey was Amos, and the late Marcia Lewis was Mama Morton.

We saw it again about four years ago. Model Christie Brinkley was Roxie. She's really not a singer or actress, and the chorus had to chime in on a lot of her solo parts.

I'm amazed the show is still running. I suppose it's relative cheap to produce. Smallish cast, only one set, minimal props, and the cast wears the same costumes the whole show.

I have a question about rush tickets. Does anyone know if they are available for the matinees, or just the evening shows? I've learned that a friend will be in NYC at the same time we are, and I'm trying to figure out a time to meet up with her. DD and I would like to see Curious Incident and I was going to try for rush tickets, but now we are thinking we'd rather do a matinee and then have dinner with our friend. SO... rush tickets (if I can get them, although I've been lucky in this regard before) are cheaper/better seats (IME) but are they usually available for matinees as well as evenings? If not, I'm not going to hustle to the theater for 9am... I'll just suck it up and pay more at TKTS. After all, how frequently do we get to NYC from Maine??

Here's another list of rush policies.

http://playbill.com/celebritybuzz/a...ottery-and-standing-room-only-policies-116003

We went to see On The Twentieth Century last week. Kristen Chenowith, as expected, was great. The show was kind of silly, but then again, the plots of most Broadway musicals are. (I'm not complaining. :teeth:) It was available at TKTS.

This is a really good site that lets you know the rush policies for all of the shows: http://www.broadwayspotted.com/lottery-rush-policies/

They also have a weekly report on how the lines are every week to give you an idea on what the rush lines were like, so you have an idea how early you should get on line (although that varies by week, especially if there are holidays): http://www.broadwayspotted.com/category/rush-report/

You guys are awesome- THANKS!! pixiedust:

Top three
  1. Mamma Mia
  2. Wicked
  3. Rent
Mamma Ma is just fun happy musical and very catchy (I've seen it 22 times).
Wicked is the best show overall when it comes to story, music, costumes, set.
Rent has amazing music and tells a great story.

I've seen all three multiple times.

Top three
  1. Mamma Mia
  2. Wicked
  3. Rent
Mamma Ma is just fun happy musical and very catchy (I've seen it 22 times).
Wicked is the best show overall when it comes to story, music, costumes, set.
Rent has amazing music and tells a great story.

I've seen all three multiple times.
I have always wanted to see a stage production of Rent. I love the movie so much.

I have been off this thread. I saw Wicked again in January and February; both via the touring company. I saw Pippin also 4 times between March and May, which if the touring show comes nearby, I high recommend seeing this cast. Very talented! I saw both Sasha Allen (The Voice finalist) and her understudy (Lisa Karlin) and Lisa is honestly the one to see in the part. :) Plus got to see Kyle Dean Massey in his brief return to the role of Pippin.

I am really wanting to see Something Rotten and Fun Home on Broadway. My mom and I are planning a girls trip to NYC.

Locally we are getting some great shows; Lion King, Book of Mormon, Matilda, Beautiful, If/Then just to name a few. Excited for our Broadway season. Plus want to see Kinky Boots in September too.

Next weekend I am suppose to see a regional theater production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Really excited to finally see that and I want to see Gypsy there too in August.

I really love the songs "We've Got Magic To Do" and "Gotta Find Mt Corner Of The Sky" in Pippin. I would love to see the entire show.

I have been off this thread. I saw Wicked again in January and February; both via the touring company. I saw Pippin also 4 times between March and May, which if the touring show comes nearby, I high recommend seeing this cast. Very talented! I saw both Sasha Allen (The Voice finalist) and her understudy (Lisa Karlin) and Lisa is honestly the one to see in the part. :) Plus got to see Kyle Dean Massey in his brief return to the role of Pippin.

I am really wanting to see Something Rotten and Fun Home on Broadway. My mom and I are planning a girls trip to NYC.

Locally we are getting some great shows; Lion King, Book of Mormon, Matilda, Beautiful, If/Then just to name a few. Excited for our Broadway season. Plus want to see Kinky Boots in September too.

Next weekend I am suppose to see a regional theater production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Really excited to finally see that and I want to see Gypsy there too in August.
You're getting a lot of the same shows as we are in Providence! I don't think we're getting Lion King again, but we're also getting Cabaret and, I believe, Pippin and Newsies.

I went to New York about 6 weeks ago with a friend and we saw Finding Neverland and Matilda. I saw Neverland last sumer at American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, MA and actually enjoyed it more pre-Broadway (my friend thought the same). We both absolutely loved Matilda and are looking forward to the tour when it comes to Providence. Today we also bought tickets for Waitress, the new musical written by Sara Bareilles, also at American Rep. I've been a fan of her music for years and Jessie Mueller (from Beautiful) is starring, so I am quite excited for this one!

You're getting a lot of the same shows as we are in Providence! I don't think we're getting Lion King again, but we're also getting Cabaret and, I believe, Pippin and Newsies.

I went to New York about 6 weeks ago with a friend and we saw Finding Neverland and Matilda. I saw Neverland last sumer at American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, MA and actually enjoyed it more pre-Broadway (my friend thought the same). We both absolutely loved Matilda and are looking forward to the tour when it comes to Providence. Today we also bought tickets for Waitress, the new musical written by Sara Bareilles, also at American Rep. I've been a fan of her music for years and Jessie Mueller (from Beautiful) is starring, so I am quite excited for this one!

Pippin is one to go see! I recommend it....if you haven't seen it already. I didn't see in on Broadway walked in not having known anything about it walked away got tickets for 2 more shows! lol really impressive cast and story.

I really love the songs "We've Got Magic To Do" and "Gotta Find Mt Corner Of The Sky" in Pippin. I would love to see the entire show.

As I said highly recommend this touring production to anyone to see it. The story is very interesting and basically a circus story and a kid finding his way is how to look at it. Those are 2 of my favorite songs in the show too. This cast just amazed me for a touring cast you can tell they are close. I had seen the girl who plays Catherine in Wicked back in 2010, so it was great to see her onstage again. But the acro in this show, being a former gymnast, I watched in pure amazement. I even talked to one of the cast members between shows in Durham and she was very sweet, met a lot of the cast after each of the shows. Love a cast that will stop and talk to everyone no matter who they were in the show.

Another question for you theatre lovers... did anyone here see "Catch Me If You Can" when it was on Broadway or regionally even? We are one week into rehearsals and I just LOVE this music!! I have watched the bootleg version on YouTube but those are always such bleck quality. I am so pumped about this show. It's a huge dance show too. Pretty nurses and Pan Am Stewardesses (yes that's what they were called then lol), handsome pilots and interns. It is so 60's cliche it's not even funny... but I love it! Would love impressions if anyone's seen it. :thanks:

Today we also bought tickets for Waitress, the new musical written by Sara Bareilles, also at American Rep. I've been a fan of her music for years and Jessie Mueller (from Beautiful) is starring, so I am quite excited for this one!

I REALLY want to see Waitress! I'm not really into mainstream music (I pretty much just listen to cast recordings...I'm such a dork!) but I LOVE Brave. It was funny, last year (when Brave was really popular) my Mum actually commented that Sara Bareilles seemed really suited to musical theatre - I then googled her and found out she had a theatre background and was writing a musical!

I also want to see Ever After (particularly if James Snyder is in it) and School of Rock (an ALW musical adaptation of one of my favourite movies as a tween starring Sierra Boggess? Yes please!). Hopefully I can see all of them in New York next year!

Another question for you theatre lovers... did anyone here see "Catch Me If You Can" when it was on Broadway or regionally even? We are one week into rehearsals and I just LOVE this music!! I have watched the bootleg version on YouTube but those are always such bleck quality. I am so pumped about this show. It's a huge dance show too. Pretty nurses and Pan Am Stewardesses (yes that's what they were called then lol), handsome pilots and interns. It is so 60's cliche it's not even funny... but I love it! Would love impressions if anyone's seen it. :thanks:

I saw it on the National Tour (would have killed to see it with Aaron Tveit). It was pretty darn good. We liked it a lot.

Pippin is one to go see! I recommend it....if you haven't seen it already. I didn't see in on Broadway walked in not having known anything about it walked away got tickets for 2 more shows! lol really impressive cast and story.

I saw it on broadway, was not thrilled with it- has a couple good songs but otherwise just - ehh- to me.

I saw it on broadway, was not thrilled with it- has a couple good songs but otherwise just - ehh- to me.

I wasn't that thrilled with it either. The physical feats were impressive, but the rest was just ok. I do LOVE the song Corner of the Sky though.

\

Something Rotten is on my list of shows to see when my daughter and I get back from vacation in August. We saw Book of Mormon last week and LOVED it, especially since we won the twitter ticket lottery and got front row mezzanine tickets for 32.00 each! But some people actually walked out on it, they were "offended"- and I could see if you were religious it being an issue. I am not religious at ALL but there was one part that rubbed me the wrong way but won't put it here for those that have not seen it yet.
LOVED- Lion King and Matilda. Didn't care for If/Then. How to Succeed in Business was just ok for me, a bit boring. Gypsy was ok. Haven't saw Beautiful yet. My daughter wants to see Chicago. Jersey Boys was really good as was Phantom and Wicked. We are going to start taking in more off Broadway shows, we saw Disenchanted last week and it was very funny, we caught it on its final day open before heading to another country!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter