• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I saw it on the National Tour (would have killed to see it with Aaron Tveit). It was pretty darn good. We liked it a lot.
Ah yes... Aaron Tveit! Love listening to him! I feel so bad for him. If you ever watch the video of the show that's floating around YouTube he absolutely slays it... except for his very last note. He just slides off pitch and that's the last thing you hear. Murphy's Law. It's reassuring that even the pro's have moments like that. He's such a great Frank Abagnale Jr tho. The right mix of charm and smarm. I'm loving our Frank Jr too tho. He's amazing! :dogdance:

I wasn't that thrilled with it either. The physical feats were impressive, but the rest was just ok. I do LOVE the song Corner of the Sky though.
I saw it on broadway, was not thrilled with it- has a couple good songs but otherwise just - ehh- to me.
I really enjoyed it....it was different and I keep being told I need to get away from my typical list of shows. haha

Something Rotten is on my list of shows to see when my daughter and I get back from vacation in August. We saw Book of Mormon last week and LOVED it, especially since we won the twitter ticket lottery and got front row mezzanine tickets for 32.00 each! But some people actually walked out on it, they were "offended"- and I could see if you were religious it being an issue. I am not religious at ALL but there was one part that rubbed me the wrong way but won't put it here for those that have not seen it yet.
LOVED- Lion King and Matilda. Didn't care for If/Then. How to Succeed in Business was just ok for me, a bit boring. Gypsy was ok. Haven't saw Beautiful yet. My daughter wants to see Chicago. Jersey Boys was really good as was Phantom and Wicked. We are going to start taking in more off Broadway shows, we saw Disenchanted last week and it was very funny, we caught it on its final day open before heading to another country!

I wasn't a fan of Book of Mormon, but going to see it again when it comes to Durham. Lion King has been on my list to see since it was in NC in 2010 I was sick when it came to town and couldn't go.

How to Succeed when I was in NYC in 2011, it was sold out because Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) was in the show, and stage door was a mad house. I am hoping Idina's standby (Jackie Burns) assumes the role from her on tour, only way I will probably see it. I saw it in the previews in DC and ready to see it again.

How to Succeed and Gypsy are at a regional theater here in NC. They put on great productions. Last year I saw The Last 5 Years there at a theater in the round, Cats in that setting was amazing. But tickets are $40 and they bring in NYC based actors to do the shows, plus some locals are thrown in.

I saw some one walk out of Wicked after act 1 and didn't return...I couldn't believe that. Wicked I have seen 41 times and counting. It's coming to Charlotte in January, already planning to go.

I cannot imagine walking out of Wicked. I have only seen it 5 times, but I always love every second.
I enjoyed Book of Mormon much much more then 2nd time. The first time it tooks me weeks of listening to (most) of the soundtrack after, to figure out WTH I just watched, and decide if I liked it. The 2nd time I loved most of it. Turn it off is my 2nd favorite dance number of all the shows I've seen!
We saw Once again this week, I liked it the first time, but LOVED it this time. Not sure why, it was the same cast and everything, but I just enjoyed it more this time. Makes me cry though. But lot's of things do.

I really love the songs "We've Got Magic To Do" and "Gotta Find Mt Corner Of The Sky" in Pippin. I would love to see the entire show.

Here you go, from the 2013 Tony Awards. A clip of your two favorite songs.

This is what enticed me to go see the show. I didn't make it there until last summer, and I think most of the main cast had been replaced by that time. The acrobats and circus performers were probably the same.

Here you go, from the 2013 Tony Awards. A clip of your two favorite songs.

This is what enticed me to go see the show. I didn't make it there until last summer, and I think most of the main cast had been replaced by that time. The acrobats and circus performers were probably the same.
As my friend said "No one can touch Fatima Miller in the role of Leading Player"

I was in the orchestra the second/third time I saw Pippin. And the first I was in the balcony so I couldn't see what was going on, but loved the interaction of the show with the cast.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine walking out of Wicked. I have only seen it 5 times, but I always love every second.
I enjoyed Book of Mormon much much more then 2nd time. The first time it tooks me weeks of listening to (most) of the soundtrack after, to figure out WTH I just watched, and decide if I liked it. The 2nd time I loved most of it. Turn it off is my 2nd favorite dance number of all the shows I've seen!
We saw Once again this week, I liked it the first time, but LOVED it this time. Not sure why, it was the same cast and everything, but I just enjoyed it more this time. Makes me cry though. But lot's of things do.

I would never walk out in the middle of the show. Especially the end of act 1 of Wicked, DG makes me want to return for more!

I think I will understand BOM more the second time around, I just didn't like the humor of it. Plus we just got slammed with 12" of snow and couldn't get them to allow me to switch tickets, even though they cancelled the lottery after the storm. Two hour drive there and back, there was snow in the forecast that night too. Was happy to make it home!

Once was great, loved that show!

We just saw WICKED last night here in Denver. It was amazing. Denver has hosted WICKED 5 times-the most of any city outside of NY according to the program. The Lion King is coming here as well as Beauty and the Beast. We have a great theater, and are fortunate to have some wonderful shows come through.

I saw Phantom on Broadway at the Majestic in 2010 - wonderful. OH Fun -just googled a clip about the history of that theater-how cool.

Would LOVE to go back to NY to see some shows!

I wanted to keep up my Hedwig streak (I’ve seen them all so far!) so I saw Darren Criss as Hedwig tonight. He was really good! He’s definitely way too young for it, it’s the first time I ever felt like I was watching a kid play Hedwig, and I thought he focused more on nailing the snarkier dialogue and not enough on the more serious parts of the story. But his voice was great (I looooved his “Wig in a Box”), his ad libs were a lot of fun, and he brought a pretty amazing energy to the role that I really enjoyed.

We also had a ton of Glee fans in the audience who had no idea what was going on for the whole show. At least they behaved.

And we had a special ad-lib tonight, due to the big news of the day...our “special, one-night only” show was the “special, one-night only, Supreme Court-approved” performance. :rainbow:

So I’m glad I got to see him. Definitely going back to see Taye Diggs when he takes over next.

I wanted to keep up my Hedwig streak (I’ve seen them all so far!) so I saw Darren Criss as Hedwig tonight. He was really good! He’s definitely way too young for it, it’s the first time I ever felt like I was watching a kid play Hedwig, and I thought he focused more on nailing the snarkier dialogue and not enough on the more serious parts of the story. But his voice was great (I looooved his “Wig in a Box”), his ad libs were a lot of fun, and he brought a pretty amazing energy to the role that I really enjoyed.

We also had a ton of Glee fans in the audience who had no idea what was going on for the whole show. At least they behaved.

And we had a special ad-lib tonight, due to the big news of the day...our “special, one-night only” show was the “special, one-night only, Supreme Court-approved” performance. :rainbow:

So I’m glad I got to see him. Definitely going back to see Taye Diggs when he takes over next.

Well I am 50 Shades of Green with envy!! Saw NPH (LOVED HIM!!) and since we happened to be in NYC right during the switch over to Andrew my daughter went again to see them both. I had tx to If/Then that night so didn't go but she loved them both!! I am such a fan of every actor that has played Hedwig it just kills me to live a continent away from the Belasco Theatre!!!

Just bought my daughter tickets to Hedwig this Wednesday for her good report card because she loves Darren Criss, she has loved him since "A very potter musical" She saw the show with Neil Patrick Harris too. I am trying to go in early so we can catch a showing of The Wolfpack at Lincoln Center before it.

Well I am 50 Shades of Green with envy!! Saw NPH (LOVED HIM!!) and since we happened to be in NYC right during the switch over to Andrew my daughter went again to see them both. I had tx to If/Then that night so didn't go but she loved them both!! I am such a fan of every actor that has played Hedwig it just kills me to live a continent away from the Belasco Theatre!!!

Counting the 5 times I saw the original show off-Broadway, last night was my 10th time seeing Hedwig! I first saw it in 1998, so that took awhile. Definitely going back for show #11 to see Taye Diggs.

The best part of seeing all of the Hedwigs was seeing how different they all play it. And finally getting to see John Cameron Mitchell play Hedwig on Broadway! That made me so happy. I’d seen him twice downtown. He was my first Hedwig. The second time I saw him was just before they started shooting the movie, he came back to the show for a few weeks to get ready. That show was INSANE. He followed a guy into the bathroom at one point, it was crazy and hilarious.

It’s been fun. The jokes have been shifting and changing throughout the run. The joke about the Belasco ghost is gone now. JCM hurt his knee early in his run, and it was written into the show (Hedwig was kneecapped outside the 6th avenue Dress Barn by an assailant in a Michael C. Hall mask) and some of the jokes they put in are still there. When Darren licked the stage, it “tastes like John Cameron Mitchell” now. The line about “We’re talking to John Mayer’s people. But then again, aren’t we all?” was changed to Nick Jonas when I saw it last night (in the original show, it was Phil Collins).

NPH is still my favorite of the Broadway Hedwigs that aren’t JCM so far. He blew me away with that performance. Andrew was the snarkiest. Michael C. Hall seemed like the most emotionally broken of them. Darren had the anger down pretty well, but he was so young that he didn’t seem nearly as ‘weathered’ as the previous Hedwigs, but I think if he comes back to the role somewhere down the road, he’s going to blow people away with his Hedwig. He’s definitely got it.

Counting the 5 times I saw the original show off-Broadway, last night was my 10th time seeing Hedwig! I first saw it in 1998, so that took awhile. Definitely going back for show #11 to see Taye Diggs.

The best part of seeing all of the Hedwigs was seeing how different they all play it. And finally getting to see John Cameron Mitchell play Hedwig on Broadway! That made me so happy. I’d seen him twice downtown. He was my first Hedwig. The second time I saw him was just before they started shooting the movie, he came back to the show for a few weeks to get ready. That show was INSANE. He followed a guy into the bathroom at one point, it was crazy and hilarious.

It’s been fun. The jokes have been shifting and changing throughout the run. The joke about the Belasco ghost is gone now. JCM hurt his knee early in his run, and it was written into the show (Hedwig was kneecapped outside the 6th avenue Dress Barn by an assailant in a Michael C. Hall mask) and some of the jokes they put in are still there. When Darren licked the stage, it “tastes like John Cameron Mitchell” now. The line about “We’re talking to John Mayer’s people. But then again, aren’t we all?” was changed to Nick Jonas when I saw it last night (in the original show, it was Phil Collins).

NPH is still my favorite of the Broadway Hedwigs that aren’t JCM so far. He blew me away with that performance. Andrew was the snarkiest. Michael C. Hall seemed like the most emotionally broken of them. Darren had the anger down pretty well, but he was so young that he didn’t seem nearly as ‘weathered’ as the previous Hedwigs, but I think if he comes back to the role somewhere down the road, he’s going to blow people away with his Hedwig. He’s definitely got it.
Thanks for the breakdown of actors!!! I hope I make it back before the show closes (whenever that may be...?)

We saw Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time last Wednesday, at the matinee, so we saw Alex Sharp as "Christopher." (Taylor Trensch does the Wed. evening and Sunday shows.) I was not a huge fan of the first act, although DD21 loved it all the way through. However, the 2nd act was phenomenal- and I loved the little "after show" part after the curtain calls finished and the audience had started to file out. I can see how this show won all those awards! I originally wanted to get rush tickets, but they were obstructed view and the guy at the ticket office made them seem really bad. I almost bought them anyhow, but ended up buying mezzanine seats instead, and am glad I did. Given the box-like nature of the set, and the amount of visual on the floor of the stage, we would have missed a lot of the show if we'd been sitting in the rush seats- they were front row and off to the side, and the stage blocked all of what was happening on the floor of the set. It's hard to describe, if you haven't seen the show, but I am really glad I spent the extra money for the better seats.

Last night we saw Jeremy Jordan's show at 54 Below. He was great, as usual! I've lost count the amount of times we've seen him at this point! Definitely our favorite actor! I get a kick out of him knowing DD21 whenever he sees her.

We are seeing Amazing Grace with Josh Young next week. Hope to see Something Rotten before DD heads to WDW for her internship!

I have been to 3 Broadway shows in my life and they were all fantastic. I saw Wicked, Mary Poppins, and most recently Aladdin.

Last night we saw Jeremy Jordan's show at 54 Below. He was great, as usual! I've lost count the amount of times we've seen him at this point! Definitely our favorite actor! I get a kick out of him knowing DD21 whenever he sees her.

We are seeing Amazing Grace with Josh Young next week. Hope to see Something Rotten before DD heads to WDW for her internship!

OOhh!!! Please report back on Amazing Grace. This and Hamilton caught my eye!

Hedwig and the angry inch was great tonight. Waited two hours after it by stage door and my daughter was thrilled to get her playbill signed by darren criss!

OOhh!!! Please report back on Amazing Grace. This and Hamilton caught my eye!

Yes - Hamilton is on DD's list before she leaves for WDW internship!

Jeremy Jordan was amazing, as usual. He picked DD (by name - always thrills her!) to answer a trivia question and we chatted with him after the show. Great guy.

We were on Central Europe ABD last week and our guide was going to see Mary Poppins in Vienna on his day off. We left that day but would have gone along with him! He was excited to see it in German! :-)

We saw The Book of Mormon today. Excellent show!! Adult language and theme's, so don't take the little ones! ;) We had front row seats. Kind of weird, our playbills don't have the list of songs.... First time I've ever seen that....

Has anyone seen Fun House? My DD and her best friend really want to go see it but I really want to go see Finding Neverland (especially since they were both in their high school production of Peter Pan last November - my DD as Tiger Lilly & her friend as Wendy).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter