The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I was wondering the same thing about Corey as well, why did they choose such a young guy for Gaston when he's supposed to be so much older than Gigi? Then I saw some interviews with the creative team, and it turns out they made a lot of choices to make "Gigi" appeal to today's crowd. They thought having a younger man play Gaston and having the aunt and grandma sing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" as opposed to Gaston's uncle made things "less creepy" (their words). So I guess he was perfect for what the director was going for in this production, but yeah, it was very different from the movie and other past productions.

Tell us how Amazing Grace is! It's in the same theater as Newsies was and I was shocked when I saw how quickly the marquee had gone up... and I have to wait until June 21st to see Ever After!!! I'm sitting on pins and needles, I want to see it so badly!!!

Even if the creative team was appealing to a modern crowd, it still doesn't make sense that Gaston would be entering an "arrangement" with Aunt Alicia & the grandmother and be almost the same age as Gigi. It just didn't make sense. Corey wad just too young for the part.

Looking forward to seeing Josh Young again. Had a nice conversation with him at 54 Below about Amazing Grace coming to Broadway.

Disappointed that the people who did the workshop aren't in Ever After, but I do love James Snyder!

Disappointed that the people who did the workshop aren't in Ever After, but I do love James Snyder!

I absolutely LOVE James Snyder! When we saw If/Then last year my awesome mother bought me the dog tags he wore in the very performance we saw. He signed them for me personally and took a photo with me (which I look ridiculous in because I'm fangirling so hard!). I now have a very cool setup with them and my autographed Playbill.

167qix2.jpg

I would be one VERY happy girl if Ever After was playing with James next September (when I'll hopefully be heading back to New York).

(Random side note: I just looked up an article about Ever After and one of the cast members has the same first and middle name as me! I got really excited for a second, thinking I'd been cast in a professional musical I hadn't auditioned for, in a city halfway around the world! :laughing:)

Even if the creative team was appealing to a modern crowd, it still doesn't make sense that Gaston would be entering an "arrangement" with Aunt Alicia & the grandmother and be almost the same age as Gigi. It just didn't make sense. Corey wad just too young for the part.

Looking forward to seeing Josh Young again. Had a nice conversation with him at 54 Below about Amazing Grace coming to Broadway.

You bring up a fair point. That didn't really make sense. I'm no Gigi expert, so I was just kind of excited to see Corey and Vanessa together on stage. :confused3 I don't see this production lasting much longer than whenever Vanessa leaves, anyhow, it got almost no Tony nods so I'm willing to overlook the flaws in it for now just to appreciate it for the music, set, costumes, and talent :thumbsup2

He's so sweet. I'm eager to see how Amazing Grace turns out!

Not only is James Snyder in Ever After, but Andrew Keenan-Bolger and Charles Shaughnessy are as well!!!! I'm so excited!!!!

You bring up a fair point. That didn't really make sense. I'm no Gigi expert, so I was just kind of excited to see Corey and Vanessa together on stage. :confused3 I don't see this production lasting much longer than whenever Vanessa leaves, anyhow, it got almost no Tony nods so I'm willing to overlook the flaws in it for now just to appreciate it for the music, set, costumes, and talent :thumbsup2

He's so sweet. I'm eager to see how Amazing Grace turns out!

Not only is James Snyder in Ever After, but Andrew Keenan-Bolger and Charles Shaughnessy are as well!!!! I'm so excited!!!!

I was hoping Ashley Spencer would have been cast. We were talking about it after one of Jeremy's concerts at 54 Below. I'm hoping I like the show since DD & I love the movie! :-)

I don't have anything to compare them to, except from the originals Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth from the CD. Jackie and Chandra were really good I thought.

I got to see Idina and Kristen in Wicked back in 2004. I'm hoping to see Kristen again in On the Twentieth Century. I hear they extended the run into July, so maybe I'll get a chance to go.

Most recent shows I saw on Broadway were Pippin and Kinky Boots last summer.

I got to see Idina and Kristen in Wicked back in 2004. I'm hoping to see Kristen again in On the Twentieth Century. I hear they extended the run into July, so maybe I'll get a chance to go.

Wow, that must have been amazing seeing Idina and Kristen in Wicked. I bug my parents so much when I was 14 in 2007 to see Rent, but they said it was not appropriate for my age. Little did they know I was about to become a little teen rebel in my high school years.

Now that I retired this week I will be going in NYC and trying to win the ticket lotteries for the shows I want to see, we are going to try for Book of Mormon this month! After I get back from our 2 month road rip this summer I will be able to just take the train into the city and put name in for lottery, if don't win no big deal, go back and try the next day LOL.

Try to get to see her in On the Twentieth Century - we laughed the whole show. She is amazing! I'm hoping to get tickets to see her concert in September in a few towns over!

Wow, that must have been amazing seeing Idina and Kristen in Wicked. I bug my parents so much when I was 14 in 2007 to see Rent, but they said it was not appropriate for my age. Little did they know I was about to become a little teen rebel in my high school years.

You could feel the "star power" radiating from Idina and Kristen while watching the show. It was actually on Christmas night 2004. A wonderful present for ourselves.

Try to get to see her in On the Twentieth Century - we laughed the whole show. She is amazing! I'm hoping to get tickets to see her concert in September in a few towns over!

Thanks for the review. I've seen a few clips of 20th Century. Definitely looks like a winner. (Not that it will necessarily win the Tony Award).

I saw Idina and Kristin in Wicked too. It's actually the only time I've seen the show. I won the lottery and got to sit the front row. They were great. I'd seen Idina in Rent 3 times, and I saw Kristin in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, so I was already a fan of both, but they were terrific together.

I'm seeing The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time next week.

You could feel the "star power" radiating from Idina and Kristen while watching the show. It was actually on Christmas night 2004. A wonderful present for ourselves.

Thanks for the review. I've seen a few clips of 20th Century. Definitely looks like a winner. (Not that it will necessarily win the Tony Award).
Idina and Kristen are amazing and were perfect for the roles of Elphaba and Glinda.

I saw Ever After TOTALLY by surprise last night and had a blast!!!

Basically, I had(/still have) tickets for the closing night of Ever After. But then last night, my friend announced that he wanted to see it, so we went to Millburn and were able to get $23 student rush tickets. Fabulous seats, too. Left Orch, row L. We could see everything very clearly.

Before the show, we caught Andrew Keenan-Bolger milling about. I didn't want to disturb him but I told him to break a leg and he was super happy. I've wanted to meet him for years now, I was starstruck :hyper:

The show itself was pretty great. It wasn't as good as Hunchback IMO, but the songs flowed into each other very well and I adored the costumes. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It runs a little longer than it needs to run, and some scenes were unnecessary- I feel like it's going to have to be work-shopped on a little bit if it wants to go to Broadway.

I loved all of the performances. Charles Shaughnessy was my favorite part of the whole show- he's very entertaining! AKB was stellar as I expected him to be. Annie Funke played one of the stepsisters and she was ADORABLE, one of my favorite characters in the show. James Snyder was also amazing as the prince! But the best was Christine Ebersole- even her bow was incredibly diva-licious, much like her character :rotfl:

CGyKQXTWgAEqrd8.jpg

... And of course, my friend and I had some stage door fun! It wasn't crowded at all, there were about 5 other girls my age there and several groups of young kids.

First out came AKB! I was very excited to properly meet him. He's genuinely one of the sweetest boys on Broadway, bless his heart.

CGyKBH7W0AEA_h0.jpg

And then of course, Charles Shaughnessy came out. The Nanny has always been one of my favorite shows so I was elated, as you can see.

CGyKEgWWQAApKxm.jpg

Sometimes I mistake myself for Fran Drescher.

We had to get going, but we had time for one more person- luckily, that one more person was James Snyder! He was also very sweet. He looked like he was rushing so we didn't bother him too much, but I did snag a pic.

CGyKQZEWgAAZc3-.jpg

All in all, it was a fantastic night at the Paper Mill Playhouse!!! I can't wait to see Ever After again!!!

CGyKQXvW0AAoGk2.jpg

We saw Ever After today - loved it!! James Snyder recognized us afterwards and stopped to chat for a few minutes. He was fantastic! We thought it was very well done. I do wish Ashley Spencer had gotten the role of Marguarite, though. Christine Ebersole's voice is beautiful. She really impressed me! "mr Sheffield" lol was so pleasant - he had a great time greeting fans at the stage door!

I hope it moves to Broadway - the score is very witty. I just didn't love the set - looked like leftovers from Hunchback!! Lol

We saw Ever After today - loved it!! James Snyder recognized us afterwards and stopped to chat for a few minutes. He was fantastic! We thought it was very well done. I do wish Ashley Spencer had gotten the role of Marguarite, though. Christine Ebersole's voice is beautiful. She really impressed me! "mr Sheffield" lol was so pleasant - he had a great time greeting fans at the stage door!

I hope it moves to Broadway - the score is very witty. I just didn't love the set - looked like leftovers from Hunchback!! Lol

Glad you enjoyed it!

I think the set was leftovers from hunchback. I was talking about it with the girls at stage door with me. It was just stripped down, painted and turned on it's side :rotfl:

Glad you enjoyed it!

I think the set was leftovers from hunchback. I was talking about it with the girls at stage door with me. It was just stripped down, painted and turned on it's side :rotfl:

Oh, definitely it was recycled! We were thinking maybe they are keeping it to use for a Hunchback Broadway run. (Wishful thinking!!)

Anyone watch the Tony Awards last night? I’m SO happy Fun Home won! Such an amazing musical.

Overall I thought the Tony's were good... Didn't love the ET joke. I want to see Fun Home even more now keep hearing such good things!

Anyone watch the Tony Awards last night? I’m SO happy Fun Home won! Such an amazing musical.

I am very, very, very pleased over Fun Home's success last night. And FINALLY, Kelli!!!

Overall I thought the Tony's were good... Didn't love the ET joke. I want to see Fun Home even more now keep hearing such good things!

I saw it last week, and it was so incredible. It’s heartbreaking, but it’s funny and sweet too, and the music is great. And I’m so glad they performed “Ring of Keys” on the show. Sydney just knocked it out of the park with that performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter