Ten Day Dining Review With Pictures 12/1 Casey's Update!

Day 4: Be Our Guest Lunch and Via Nappoli Dinner

During our trip we were very lucky to see the Magic Kingdom opening at 8am for everyone. This, in effect was another extra magic hour because the park was very empty in the morning.

We had late morning/early afternoon fastpasses for The Mine Train, Splash and Big Thunder Mountain. We were able to go into fantasy land and completely clear it out before our Mine Train fastpass expired at 10:40. When I say "clear it out" I mean we did everything in the Fantasyland area and my wife and daughter rode the Barnstormer 6 times without getting off until a line formed. This was an incredible time-saver and the 8 am start helped. We caught the Mine Train at the end of our window, then headed straight for Be Our Guest.

This was definitely something we wanted to try, but didn't want to do the sit-down for dinner. I also know the lines here were ridiculous, so at some point around making my fastpasses, I was able to get us a 10:50 reservation here. We could have pre-ordered, but instead waited until that day. You just go to a kiosk, place your order for everyone and go get a seat. They find you with your Magic Band or they give you a rose if you don't have any. The food came out very quickly while we were getting our drinks. One person had to stay at the table so they knew how to find you.

I had the braised pork with the strawberry cream cheese cupcake. I had made up my mind on this months before arriving and got it with no modifications. There are mashed potatoes under there too. This was a great meal for a couple of reasons. First, it was just plain good. The meat was tender and the whole thing was something I would order at a restaurant at home. Second, this restaurant gives different choices than the standard burgers, nuggets and pizza. It is a great choice, like Earl of Sandwich, to switch things up during a long trip.

View attachment 112208

My wife got the Croque Monsieur with the chocolate cream puff. Like my meal, she was very impressed and liked it very much.

View attachment 112212

My daughter had the carved turkey sandwich modified to leave off the dijon mayonnaise. This was very easy to do at the kiosk and can probably be done in advance also. Her dessert was the Master's Cupcake so we could try "the grey stuff." She loves green beans so she traded me some fries and part of her sandwich for most of my beans. She was getting worn out some due to lack of sleep and a little dehydration, so her appetite wasn't up to par for a few meals here and there, but I also sampled the sandwich and it was excellent.

View attachment 112215

Overall, we all gave Be Our Guest a very enthusiastic thumbs up. As long as a reservation can be made in advance, I can see us going here every time we visit. The restaurant itself is beautiful and we were able to walk around and visit all the rooms. This included almost walking into the kitchen because it looked like an exit! Make sure to start trying to get a reservation as soon as you book your other restaurants 180 days out. If you can't, just try off and on. I honestly didn't even think about it until I was making my fastpass reservations and still had a ton of choices. Selecting meals in advance will save you ten minutes and some hassle also, maybe more depending on who is at the kiosk before you.

I cannot think of any reason not to go here, other than the fact that they don't have the basic fast food choices and a very picky eater wouldn't want anything on the menu. Like I said before, it was very easy to modify the meals so a basic turkey sandwich is always available. I'm sure the same can happen with the carved roast beef sandwich also.

It is worth noting that the desserts were great too. It just took us a few minutes to realize how to eat the cupcakes!

More later
Is the cupcake your daughter ordered "the grey stuff"? I have seen several references to that but having never been there was wondering what that is....want to make sure we try it when we go and if that is it then I know what to order. Thanks!!!

T
Is the cupcake your daughter ordered "the grey stuff"? I have seen several references to that but having never been there was wondering what that is....want to make sure we try it when we go and if that is it then I know what to order. Thanks!!!

" The Grey Stuff" is the icing on the Master's Cupcake. It is just basic icing colored grey. I'd say it was "delicious!"

Loving your reviews!!!!! I'm really looking forward to our BOG lunch (managed to get it the first day of our trip) but now I'm a little worried about the 1900 PF dinner...we have that as our last dinner in Disney. Wondering if I should rethink it...we have only done breakfast there which was okay but I don't want our last dinner to be a downer...Hmmmm...

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!! :-)

Day 1 Continued (Chef Mickey's)

We took a nap and tried to allow some extra time to get to the Contemporary from French Quarter because we cut it very close the last trip. We immediately caught the Magic Kingdom bus and transferred to a waiting monorail. Our reservation was for 6:55 and we were at the restaurant before 6:30. We got our picture and were called via our pager right on time for the reservation.

This was our 4th time eating at Chef Mickey's and had been seated in the room straight in twice and the room to the far right at you enter the restaurant before. This time we were on the outer edge of the smaller room to the left. I actually liked this better because we were more out of the way.

The selection at the buffet here was better than the two other character dinner buffets we did (1900 Park Fare and The Crystal Palace). As the pictures below will show, there was a good selection.

Our daughter ate from the children's area first. Adults can also. This is corn dog nuggets, Mickey mac and cheese and broccoli.

View attachment 111614

My wife has been doing a great job losing weight since the holidays so she was trying to pace herself, especially at the buffets. Here she had various items from the salad section. I do remember there being more basic salad choices in the past. The lettuce and dressing choices were limited this time. They did have a variety of other cold items though, but a nice basic salad would have been nice with more dressing choices than ranch and Italian.

View attachment 111615
WOW! You are so awesome. Thank you for being so specific. Even though I'm reading this many years since you wrote it...these places are still here, and I'm getting some excellent food ideas. THANKS!! :)

One would never guess that I had lost over ten pounds myself since the beginning of June by looking at my first plate. The mashed potatoes here are always awesome. They also had ribs this time as well as polish sausages, prime rib and there is a piece of eggplant parm under there also. All of this was very good.

View attachment 111616

The next set are some pictures of various plates that can give an idea of what was offered the day we were there. Here is a better shot of the eggplant parm as well as a pierogi and salmon.

View attachment 111617

This was a meat dish that they had out as it appears here. I'm not sure if it is potatoes or polenta that the meat is sitting on. This actually looked a little better than it tasted.

View attachment 111618

Another plate

View attachment 111619

Here is another with more from the children's area including chicken nuggets and more corn dog nuggets. We couldn't lay off the potatoes!

View attachment 111620

As anyone who eats at Chef Mickey's knows, the desserts here are among the best on property. Here is a sample of what was available. The only issue I had was that I swear there were more ice cream topping choices in the past. That was limited this time, but there was all the ice cream, cakes and cookies anyone could ask for!

View attachment 111621

More ice cream topped with Reeses Pieces

View attachment 111622

Now, the little chocolate mousse Mickey cookies might be the best single food item of any Disney World trip. I could eat 100 of them... if I didn't just attack the buffet for an hour. I didn't see them at first and was a little sad, but my wife found them. This is all top notch.

View attachment 111623

Overall, our experience here was good. The food, service and overall "hassle" and crowding at the buffet may have been our best yet. The food selection was very good, and would have been great had there been the salad dressing choices. They had very good bleu cheese in the past.

There were truly only two negatives. The first was that the characters were very rushed here. They met everyone and posed for as many pictures as needed, but did very little else. Many times they will dance or make a signature move, but it was mostly business here this time. Having an 11 year old with us instead of a younger child may have had an impact, but Mickey and pals were kind of flying by the other tables too. We were still there over an hour, and the characters made it around twice, so I would have liked to see more interaction, especially with the younger kids. The characters there were Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto and Goofy all in restaurant gear. This is a good place to see all five and get pictures and autographs in one place.

The other negative as the price. The bill for us (technically 3 adults) was over $155 after tax but before any tips. The food was good and the popular characters are there but there is NO WAY I would ever pay that much for a meal out of pocket. Being on the meal plan, it was a tremendous value and we will do it again, but only with the meal plan. These big ticket restaurants are how to make out on the dining plan. Also, beware that if you have a group of 6 or more you will have to pay a gratuity of potentially over $50 automatically. I won't get into any debate on tipping and whether that huge amount is even remotely appropriate, but it is an expense to consider. Most families can eat a nice meal out at home for the cost of just the tip at these buffets. You do have more flexibility to leave what you want or can for the smaller groups.

Overall, if on the dining plan and have character meals on the agenda, Chef Mickey's is a great choice. Every trip we add and remove some restaurants from the "next time" list, but we will definitely be back. Keep in mind; however, how much this will cost you out of pocket and even the tip is a factor if on any kind of budget, and most of us are!

After, we took the monorail back to the Magic Kingdom and went in because I had fastpasses for the electrical parade and fireworks. I would strongly recommend doing this on your arrival day if you can. Waiting in the heat for a spot to see these two "can't miss" experiences is one of my least favorite things to do. The fastpasses allowed us to walk up to both at showtime and get great spots. It also gets these out of the way in the event there is bad weather later in the trip and they get cancelled.

We were tired for sure but rode the TTA and Buzz Lightyear while the crowd headed for the transportation, then caught our bus around 11 with no wait at all. We all showered and got to sleep because we were getting up for an 8 am Hollywood Studios opening the next day. More on that later!

I don't t
Loving your reviews!!!!! I'm really looking forward to our BOG lunch (managed to get it the first day of our trip) but now I'm a little worried about the 1900 PF dinner...we have that as our last dinner in Disney. Wondering if I should rethink it...we have only done breakfast there which was okay but I don't want our last dinner to be a downer...Hmmmm...

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!! :-)

I don't think it will be a downer, it just lost a little since our last trip. I do think the lack of the step sisters was a big factor. It could have just been a one night thing. It's not as if anyone can do those roles if someone was sick or something.

Maybe keep tabs on it and see what others are saying. See what you would replace it with too. Maybe there isn't better option. I always like to make the first and last meals ones that set the mood, then let you leave happy. If the step sisters are there it will definitely be fun for you. Food always tastes better when you are having fun.

Looks like you had some great quick service meals. We ate at Sassagoula for the first time last trip and were pleasantly surprised by both the quality of the food and their cooking of it to order. While that mac and cheese doesn't look great, your burger certainly does.

Glad you all enjoyed BoG. Your meal especially looks delicious.

Looks like you had some great quick service meals. We ate at Sassagoula for the first time last trip and were pleasantly surprised by both the quality of the food and their cooking of it to order. While that mac and cheese doesn't look great, your burger certainly does.

Glad you all enjoyed BoG. Your meal especially looks delicious.

I usually end up eating at least three burgers a trip. This time I had one, but it was about as good a burger as I could ask.

Thanks for the dining reviews and photos. Always like reading things like this, very helpful for planning.

Day 4 continued (Via Napoli)

We had a very productive rest of the morning at the Magic Kingdom and headed back to the hotel for a short rest, then we had to be at Epcot for our "Behind the Seeds" tour in the land. Over the past three or four years, members of my family and myself have taken an interest in gardening. Because we don't live in the "country" or have acreage, we have been experimenting with trying to grow more in less space by using Earth boxes and growing lettuce in rain gutters.

We always liked the Living With The Land boat ride and took the chance to take the tour. It was only a little over $50 for the three of us and gave me all kinds of ideas for things to try next year. If anyone likes gardening, it is worth the hour or so.

After, we headed over to the World Showcase for our 7:00 Via Nappoli dinner. We had never tried this restaurant before and my wife had read and listened to podcasts giving it very good reviews. We usually try and add a few new dining experiences each trip, so we figured this would be a good one to try.

We made our reservation time a bit early and were seated very quickly. We sat in the large open-feeling room to the right. I am not Italian and I have never been to Italy, but this felt like we were there. It was a more authentic Olive Garden in terms of atmosphere. We had one waiter who took our drinks and one who handled the food order. Both were very thorough in showing us what was and wasn't covered by the dining plan. It took some serious concentration and a few follow-up questions because it is VERY loud in there and both waiters had a very strong accent. We just wanted to make sure we were on the same page and understood.

We were allowed a personal pizza each, along with a dessert on the meal plan. The regular set of drinks were also available. We paid extra for an appetizer my wife had read about and we had to try and a strawberry aqua fresca she had read about.

The appetizer she wanted to try was the arancini, which is basically fried risotto and cheese balls on top of sauce. This was very good, but was $11. I thought $11 may have been a little pricey for three balls. In terms of quality there was no issue at all. In fact the aqua fresca was good also. It would have been a bonus if that would have counted as her drink, since she did substitute it, technically.

via nappoli 1 2015.jpg

My wife then went with the four cheese white pizza. This pizza didn't have red sauce but was more like the white pizzas here at home. It was awesome.

via nappoli 2 2015.jpg

I was planning on a pepperoni pizza since January when we booked our reservation, but switched at the last minute to the sausage. We don't have the wood fired oven taste here at home very much, but I loved my pizza... and ate it all!

via nappoli 3 2015.jpg

Our daughter went with her usual mushroom choice because she isn't a big fan of anything spicy. She, like us, gave two enthusiastic thumbs up!

via nappoli 4 2015.jpg

The two girls tapped out and saved a piece or two for breakfast one morning because they wanted to save room for dessert. These were almost as good as the pizzas.

Our daughter had the "ugly but good" cherry and vanilla gelato sundae... very good and a little blurry!

via nappoli 5 2015.jpg

I'm pretty sure I ate a bite or two of my tiramisu before I remembered to take a picture. I get this so rarely at home! It was perfect!

via nappoli 6 2015.jpg

My wife had heard about the ricotta cheese fritters and gave them a try. These also were "crazy good." We each tried them.

via nappoli 7 2015.jpg

I am the type of person who tend to come from the "change is bad" school of thought. Trying new things is not my forte, but I sure am glad we tried Via Napoli. After doing three straight character buffets where human nature causes anyone to overeat and "get their money's worth" it was nice to have a meal with reasonable portions. A bigger eater, like myself, was able to eat all four pieces of pizza and my dessert, feeling full and satisfied without being bloated. The girls took some pizza back to the resort and some of the cheese fritters also.

The cost here was much more reasonable also. We were a bit over $100 and that is with the appetizer and drink added in. If the goal is eat at the most expensive places to get the most out of the meal plan, this might not do it. Compared to the cost of other places, and factoring quality, this was a good value.

If there was negative, the restaurant is extremely loud. All the character meals are noisy, but this was even louder. Only T-Rex can hang with Via Napoli in that area. You won't have a quiet family conversation if that is something you like to do. To us, it was just a fun atmosphere, but I can see some people not liking it.

If you happen to be an illuminations fan, a 7:00 dinner here is perfect because there was about 35-40 minutes to showtime when we left. People were starting to get spots, but plenty were still available. The whole time we planned to make this another early night so we headed right out of the World Showcase and stopped to scope out the merchandise a Mouse Gears on the way out. When we heard the booms we headed for the gates and beat the crowds back to the hotel.

It is very important to have a few early nights in every trip to keep from burning out. I believe that to get the most bang for the buck, being at the turnstiles when a park opens is the only way to go. That, plus having three fastpasses ready to go saves hours and hours of time waiting in line, but the price is that even the best conditioned people will be dragging at the end of the day. A few early nights and a few naps all help! It isn't time wasted, it is time invested. Waiting in a two hour line at 11 am that was 5 minutes at 8 am is time wasted and it just isn't much fun!

We were recharged and heading back to do Epcot and the Magic Kingdom in reverse the next day with Akershus princess breakfast and an evening meal with Mr. Eclipse at Cosmic ray's for dinner.

Last edited:
Day 1 Continued (Chef Mickey's)
After, we took the monorail back to the Magic Kingdom and went in because I had fastpasses for the electrical parade and fireworks. I would strongly recommend doing this on your arrival day if you can. Waiting in the heat for a spot to see these two "can't miss" experiences is one of my least favorite things to do. The fastpasses allowed us to walk up to both at showtime and get great spots. It also gets these out of the way in the event there is bad weather later in the trip and they get cancelled.

Steelersfan, When you arrive just in time for the parade and fireworks, where do ya'll normally try to watch them from? Where would you recommend as a good spot?
:thanks: in advance

I have to say Hello from another Pittsburgher. I love your comment about the price of food and PNC and Heinz field. My DH and I always say Disney is about the same price as going out to eat in The Burgh. So, I am not sure if that makes Disney cheaper or Pittsburgh Expensive?!?!?!?!

Great Food Reviews, I am glad I found your review.

Great reviews so far. We are going to BOG, Chef Mickeys and Via Napoli on our trip and with your reviews it looks like they were good choices

Thank you so much for posting such excellent reviews. We are going in October - the one place I really wanted to try for lunch was BOG, but by the time we set our plans it was well beyond the 180 day window to book and couldn't find anything. I'm so encouraged to hear that you were able to book lunch there when you booked fastpass. Now that I know which days we will be at MK, I'll just keep checking and hope I can find some availability. There's only two of us, so maybe we'll get lucky!

Steelersfan, When you arrive just in time for the parade and fireworks, where do ya'll normally try to watch them from? Where would you recommend as a good spot?
:thanks: in advance
We pulled it off because we had fastpasses for both. If you don't have a fastpass you can usually get a spot for the parade in the frontier land area much easier than main street. Main street fills up very fast.

If I could only get one fastpass, get the fireworks. Watch the parade in frontierland then hustle to the fastpass viewing area.

We used to watch the fireworks from the end of mainstreet where the parade fastpass area is now. The new preshow they do before the fireworks is so good you want to be close to the castle.

Going forward, I'm going to get the double fastpasses on arrival day or on a water park day if I can. That's the way to go, or just invest the time and get a spot near the castle for the parade early and just stay put for the fireworks shortly after.

There really isn't anywhere to see both well at the last minute without fastpasses I can think of, sadly.

I have to say Hello from another Pittsburgher. I love your comment about the price of food and PNC and Heinz field. My DH and I always say Disney is about the same price as going out to eat in The Burgh. So, I am not sure if that makes Disney cheaper or Pittsburgh Expensive?!?!?!?!

Great Food Reviews, I am glad I found your review.

I usually set up shop in the parking lot for hours before the Buccos and Steelers games, but I'd feel weird taking my grill and cooler on the bus to a theme park. Plus I probably couldn't get them on the plane as a carry-on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter