• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Take the DIS WISH challenge here

Hi, I'm new here and really excited to take the W.I.S.H. challenge. I'm having so much fun reading thru all of the posts and great info here on this board. Here's to a HEALTHY and HAPPY 2012. :-)

I'm a brand new member at Dis; I don't even have enough posts to earn a ticker yet, but I really like this idea. What a better group for support than people who love Disney World like I do! I think my first goal, to be realistic, would be to lose 20 lbs. My other goal is to keep walking everyday (weather permitting) until I can walk a full mile at a time. Right now I'm doing about a 1/2 to 3/4s of a mile. I love to walk, but I've really lazed off a lot. I think this group will really help me because once I have a ticker to watch it'll give me encouragement to watch the ticker advance. Thank you to who ever came up with this great idea and runs the forum. :yay: <--- That's what I need...more exercise! Mickey-e

Wow, it took me a while to find this as I couldn't remember the thread that I had put it under. :confused: I'm happy to say that even tho this is my 1st post since my original one on 3/21/12, I've been faithfully working at my goals. I've been walking steadily and have done a mile 4 or 5 times now (but I can't do it everyday). I've also been eating more fruits and veggies and less junk and I've lost 4 pounds. It's not much, but I feel really good about it. :woohoo: Now, I've been here long enough to get a ticker for my twenty pounds if I can figure out how to use it! LOL. This site is really giving me encouragement and helping me to keep my goals in mind. Thanks.

I have tried so many diets and failed. I am now on Weight Watchers and determined to stick with it. The difference this time is my attitude. I actually get excited about eating healthy foods and exercising, which sounds crazy if you knew me before! I am working out at least 5 days a week. Before work, I do 30-45 minutes on the Gazelle and then some type of exercise video (Pilates, dance, etc.). Next week, I plan to start walking regularly to work up to a 5K. Glad to be here!

I have tried so many diets and failed. I am now on Weight Watchers and determined to stick with it. The difference this time is my attitude. I actually get excited about eating healthy foods and exercising, which sounds crazy if you knew me before! I am working out at least 5 days a week. Before work, I do 30-45 minutes on the Gazelle and then some type of exercise video (Pilates, dance, etc.). Next week, I plan to start walking regularly to work up to a 5K. Glad to be here!

I've tried lots of diets, too, Keah. As a former nurse I know that Weight Watchers is the best as it is balanced nutrition, so you've made a good choice. :thumbsup2 I'm also doing exercise, but I'm starting small; I don't want to fall into the trap I fell into before. I did so much that I couldn't keep up with it long term. I lost a great deal, but when I eventually couldn't keep up with it, the pounds started to slowly creep back up. Now I'm working on walking a mile a day. It's not much, but I'm seeing results and I'm really happy about it. Good Luck! ::yes::

i might be repeating something because there are so many pages to this thread

i use LoseIt (app) to lose and maintain weight. i'm currently taking off a few pounds to get ready for the DL Half Marathon. I like the simplicity of just counting calories.

I am in...

I have gained 70 pounds over the last 8 years and I have got to lose some of this and become more healthy.

I have cut all the prepared foods out of my diet, replaced white foods with brown, like, pasta, rice and grains.

And my DH just bought the Insanity DVDs and we are starting them as soon as they come in.

Thanks again and look forward to many changes...

Hi :wave2:
my name is Nell and i am overweight

There i said it it stings but it is true
So i am in

i have apx 30 pounds to lose.
my plan is to take it slow
this weight didn't just suddenly appear and it most certainly won't disappear over night:rotfl2:
So far i have cut sugary snacks out,quit eating after 6pm
started walking(up to a mile now) doing situps and crunches
on thundery days i ride the hated stationary bike
Thanks for listening
i will be back periodically with updates
Nell
ps i gained weight after i quit smoking(10 months now)
but my thought was get over one vice then work on the other

Hi :wave2:
my name is Nell and i am overweight

There i said it it stings but it is true
So i am in

i have apx 30 pounds to lose.
my plan is to take it slow
this weight didn't just suddenly appear and it most certainly won't disappear over night:rotfl2:
So far i have cut sugary snacks out,quit eating after 6pm
started walking(up to a mile now) doing situps and crunches
on thundery days i ride the hated stationary bike
Thanks for listening
i will be back periodically with updates
Nell
ps i gained weight after i quit smoking(10 months now)
but my thought was get over one vice then work on the other

Congratulations on quitting smoking, that is a big hurdle and I know you can get this one too.

Lurked long enough....:wave2:
Ok, facing down a milestone birthday and it is not too far off. Tired of the down 10 up 12 yearly dance. I did drop some weight over the past 6 months (15-18 lbs down on any given day and sticking...) but hit a major- MAJOR- plateau. Opted to step up and exercise and hit the elliptical (that was used as a secondary clothes hanger/dryer :sad2:) then hit the road very recently using a modified (as I am a super - novice) Galloway program because I have a bad knee and a history of it knocking me out of any fitness goal.
I am moving forward getting an answer on my knee (medically) and eating far less red meat & carbs than I even did "dieting" since January.
I really don't want to fail (again). :tink:

Sounds like a great group!

I'm Jen and a fellow WW member. I was celebrating a nearly 30 lb lost this time last year as my family returned to the US after living abroad. Unfortunately readjusting to life in the US was harder than I thought and 9 lbs have crept back on in a year. :sad2:

I've had a pretty bad ankle injury which had me in a boot for 12 weeks and therapy for nearly 20, and now with the boot gone, therapy done, and that first cruise under my belt it's time to refocus on making goal! :cheer2:

Lurked long enough....:wave2:
Ok, facing down a milestone birthday and it is not too far off. Tired of the down 10 up 12 yearly dance. I did drop some weight over the past 6 months (15-18 lbs down on any given day and sticking...) but hit a major- MAJOR- plateau. Opted to step up and exercise and hit the elliptical (that was used as a secondary clothes hanger/dryer :sad2:) then hit the road very recently using a modified (as I am a super - novice) Galloway program because I have a bad knee and a history of it knocking me out of any fitness goal.
I am moving forward getting an answer on my knee (medically) and eating far less red meat & carbs than I even did "dieting" since January.
I really don't want to fail (again). :tink:

Where did you find the modified Galloway program? I'm trying to get into running as it helped me lose in the beginning, but then life happens and ankles sprain and I'm starting all over again. I'm interested in starting to do 5Ks so I can participate in the 5K @ Castaway Cay on my next cruise in 2013, with hopes of having the courage and ability to do the 1/2 and marathons @ WDW and DL in the future.

So I have not run since high school, so 22 years ago. I have no idea how an overweight woman can just start running again, do you have any where to start?

What is the Galloway program?

Where did you find the modified Galloway program?

Oh, I just mean that I took his 5k program and modified it to meet me where I am

I shuffle rather than jog "properly" especially in the beginning and up hills (if not walking).
I elliptical rather than walk on the off days OR I walk the dog 1.0-1.5 miles.
On Tues and Thurs I do walk/jog longer than 15 minutes - usually 30 but mainly because -
I only run 30-60 seconds at a time so my intervals are far, far shorter than most.

I am a super-beginner. Slower than me is going backward. :)
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

So I have not run since high school, so 22 years ago. I have no idea how an overweight woman can just start running again, do you have any where to start?

What is the Galloway program?
He trains people to race in run/walk intervals for a lesser chance of injury and to finish in better shape (or at all) than if you ran the entire race.
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

I never ran at all. I still don't really - I shuffle/jog :snail: . I am overweight too. I may never run even a 5k (although I plan to eventually...) but this method keeps me from "overdoing"it while keeping me on a schedule and accountable.

Thanks for the post! I found him online this morning and downloaded the Tinkerbell training program to my calendar. I've started (again) the C25K today and am hoping to be ready to go by September for his training format. I will probably tweak as I am not going for the marathons yet, but it will be great practice for some local 5Ks and the Castaway Cay 5K.

He trains people to race in run/walk intervals for a lesser chance of injury and to finish in better shape (or at all) than if you ran the entire race.
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

I never ran at all. I still don't really - I shuffle/jog :snail: . I am overweight too. I may never run even a 5k (although I plan to eventually...) but this method keeps me from "overdoing"it while keeping me on a schedule and accountable.

Thanks...

I want to try something and see if I can do a 5k this year....

I had foot surgery in Jan and my goal was to run a 5k by the 1 year mark.

I have lurked here long enough - I would like to take part in the challenge! My name is Danica, I am 37, and tired of the losing/gaining game! I started My Fitness Pal in May, then Power 90 in June, and so far am down 25 pounds. Four years ago, I did WW, and lost 75 pounds, but I had gained it all back by May of this year. :( When I saw pics from our last trip to WDW in 2010, I was so depressed about how I looked. When we decided on our dates for next years trip, I knew I needed to change my lifestyle and get back to a healthy weight. Not just for the trip, but forever. I have vowed that this will be the last time I do this, as I know it is not healthy to gain/lose so many times. Anyway, looking for support and encouragement, as DH started the journey with me, but has stopped the workouts. Good luck to everyone!
Danica

I have lurked here long enough - I would like to take part in the challenge! My name is Danica, I am 37, and tired of the losing/gaining game! I started My Fitness Pal in May, then Power 90 in June, and so far am down 25 pounds. Four years ago, I did WW, and lost 75 pounds, but I had gained it all back by May of this year. :( When I saw pics from our last trip to WDW in 2010, I was so depressed about how I looked. When we decided on our dates for next years trip, I knew I needed to change my lifestyle and get back to a healthy weight. Not just for the trip, but forever. I have vowed that this will be the last time I do this, as I know it is not healthy to gain/lose so many times. Anyway, looking for support and encouragement, as DH started the journey with me, but has stopped the workouts. Good luck to everyone!
Danica

:wave: Danica....

We started the Insanity workout and have been going 2 weeks now, and I have not lost an ounce! Hopefully I can see a change soon, but glad to hear you are working out and eating right.

My DH and I started eating better a few weeks ago. I intend to lose at least 40 pounds, plus I want to run a 5K in early 2013.

Okay, here is the deal. I did WW while my husband was deployed almost 2 years ago and was very successful with it. I made it down to 140 lbs (and may I say i loooked good :) ) However, ever since he came home, I've been putting the weight back on. He's not the only problem, we have moved, so that hasn't helped, and I haven't found a meeting I'm in love with, so that makes it hard. I know I have no one to blame but myself, but I'm having a hard time getting back on track. I'm at 165 lbs right now and I'm worried that if I don't do SOMETHING it won't be long until i'm back at my original 185 lbs. I'm hoping that by joining this thread, I have someone to talk to about my struggles and successes, plus i'm on the DIS all the time anyhow :) I want to make this work.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter