Strollers on disney buses?

I really think that some of the stroller hate in the last few years is directly related to the significant increase in renting a stroller at the parks.

We needed a double last year and at $31 dollars a day we just brought our own (well, rented one from an outside company). Disney doesn't want to be in the stroller rental business and there are just more strollers on the busses and walkways.

If 5% of people using strollers are jerks (random number), then since there are more people using strollers, there are more jerks.

From both sides of the fence, we should all continue to be as curtious as possible. You never know when your (or other people's) children are watching!:wizard:

I've seen a few of those on the buses, and they seem to work well. The baby doesn't need to be woken up, and the carrier can be held on your lap.

What if there are no seats? Is there an easy way to hold the carrier while you're standing, and still hold on to a handrail on the bus? Of course, if you're the easy-going type, you can usually wait for a bus with available seats.

Oh, and congratulations!

Thanks! I'm leaning towards bringing it for just that reason. I hate to lug the big stroller if I don't have to. My family is pretty easy going and we'll either wait for a less crowded bus or make the best of it.

We returned on the 15th after a 10-night stay & I must say I saw a lot of guests in need of stroller & bus help. In addition to what PP's have stated...the biggest was not being folded & unpacked when the bus was at stop...

One mom even sat there on the phone as the bus was arriving, she never looked up to see what bus was there until the bus was ready to pull away at which point she realized it was the bus they needed so she then took the baby in the car seat type portion out of the stroller, put the seat (w/him) on the ground, yelled the dad to get the stroller ready & then she went running to the bus, told the driver that he needed to wait because it takes a long time to get their stuff together...all the while the dad fumbled unpacking the stroller, had to pick up the bags AND the baby (yep! that's right the mom left EVERYTHING including the baby) w/the dad to fumble with.

Another thing I noticed was once arrived at the park/resort, how many just stood in the doorway of the bus (front or back doors) & decided that was the PERFECT place to start packing up the stroller....guess they forgot about the 40 other people who drove to the park/resort with them who also needed to get off the bus.

There were LOTS more good stroller experiences during our stay, but these others stick out more of course. :)

We returned on the 15th after a 10-night stay & I must say I saw a lot of guests in need of stroller & bus help. In addition to what PP's have stated...the biggest was not being folded & unpacked when the bus was at stop...

One mom even sat there on the phone as the bus was arriving, she never looked up to see what bus was there until the bus was ready to pull away at which point she realized it was the bus they needed so she then took the baby in the car seat type portion out of the stroller, put the seat (w/him) on the ground, yelled the dad to get the stroller ready & then she went running to the bus, told the driver that he needed to wait because it takes a long time to get their stuff together...all the while the dad fumbled unpacking the stroller, had to pick up the bags AND the baby (yep! that's right the mom left EVERYTHING including the baby) w/the dad to fumble with.

That reminds me of people, and also my husband, that will order at a fast food joint or check out at Target and not even bother to get out their wallet until given the total. How a bout being READY? It's not like you didn't know you were going to have to pay! Drives me nuts about my DH. Some people simply cannot think ahead.

Speaking of stroller storage, many strollers will fit under the seat. Most people don't realize this, see an empty seat and sit down, holding the stroller in front of them, and plugging up the aisle. I know it isn't intentional, so I can't fault them for that. But if it will fit under the seat, it will be one less thing to have to hold. Hummer style strollers of course will not fit, but many other styles will.

Another thing I noticed was once arrived at the park/resort, how many just stood in the doorway of the bus (front or back doors) & decided that was the PERFECT place to start packing up the stroller....guess they forgot about the 40 other people who drove to the park/resort with them who also needed to get off the bus.

There were LOTS more good stroller experiences during our stay, but these others stick out more of course. :)
I can not tell you how many times I have seen both those scenarios!! And it is those families that give the other stroller families a bad rep...and I'm sorry about that.

That reminds me of people, and also my husband, that will order at a fast food joint or check out at Target and not even bother to get out their wallet until given the total. How a bout being READY? It's not like you didn't know you were going to have to pay! Drives me nuts about my DH. Some people simply cannot think ahead.
Or the people that stand there, in line, at a counter service type restaurant, for 5 mins and only start thinking about what they want to eat when they actually get to the counter!!! The menu is right there, way up high so everyone can see it....why in God's name do you have to wait until your family gets to the counter to start thinking about it.

How is this even an argument? Don't bring your $500 stroller. No one, including Disney, is responsible for the choices a guest makes or their behavior except for the guest themselves. Evidently personal responsibility just isn't 'the thing' right now....:sad2:

Actually our $500 dollar stroller is the only one we found that both my dh and I can push conformably. We spent hours trying different strollers to find one that works but I digress.

The proposal to have a ski type rack will only increase time at drop off and pick up. The bus driver would have to get off to supervise, the whole my stroller is at the bottom and I have to remove three othe rate stroller to get it, that's my citimini no it's mine. Wait someone took the wrong stroller etc etc.
At least the current system, though not perfect, is fast at unloading and doesn't hold up the bus.
My guess is a lot if the people who have issues with strollers on the bus don't travel by public transportation much. The buses and trains during rush hour in NYC is way worse than any Disney bus at any time and you don't have to close your stroller in the subway.

Not to stir up a honest nest or anything, but I'm headed to the world with my 13 month old in October. I'm sure at points he will fall asleep in the stroller. My thoughts would be to wait till I see the bus pulling up to get the little one out of the stroller and then fold it. I have a baby Jogger City Mini so it's easy to do. I see everyone saying fold it as soon as you get to the waiting area, but I really don't want to have to hold my 25 lb son for how ever long it takes for the bus to arrive. Is this a situation where it's okay to wait a bit longer before folding the stroller? I wont wait till I'm at the front of the line, but wait for the bus to show up.

Not to stir up a honest nest or anything, but I'm headed to the world with my 13 month old in October. I'm sure at points he will fall asleep in the stroller. My thoughts would be to wait till I see the bus pulling up to get the little one out of the stroller and then fold it. I have a baby Jogger City Mini so it's easy to do. I see everyone saying fold it as soon as you get to the waiting area, but I really don't want to have to hold my 25 lb son for how ever long it takes for the bus to arrive. Is this a situation where it's okay to wait a bit longer before folding the stroller? I wont wait till I'm at the front of the line, but wait for the bus to show up.

As long as you don't block other people from being able to board while you mess around with your stroller, then you are fine. If you hold up the line, then you are not fine. If you find yourself in a situation where you would hold up the line, then move aside.

I have a question. Is there a sign in the bus areas with the guidelines for strollers on buses?

I can see where the other poster is coming from too. If you have a very heavy kid, multiple kids or a "runner," I can totally see why for their family's safety they would want them secured in the stroller until you see the bus arriving.

As long as you don't block other people from being able to board while you mess around with your stroller, then you are fine. If you hold up the line, then you are not fine. If you find yourself in a situation where you would hold up the line, then move aside.

Exactly! Have everything but the baby out of the stroller as soon as you see a bus approaching pick up the baby and the other person folds the stroller. all the bags and stuff should already be organized and it literally shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. In other words by the time the bus comes to a full stop and the door is open you should be moving forward.

This we usually have everything except dd out of the stroller. When we see the bus we grab her fold the stroller and go. Total time 15 seconds.

I have a question. Is there a sign in the bus areas with the guidelines for strollers on buses?

I can see where the other poster is coming from too. If you have a very heavy kid, multiple kids or a "runner," I can totally see why for their family's safety they would want them secured in the stroller until you see the bus arriving.

Not that I can recall seeing. I don't think it is necessary to unload everything as soon as you get to the bus stop. But, even if you leave your child in the stroller because you are afraid they will run off, take everything else out. That way once the bus shows up all you have to do is grab your kid and fold up the stroller.

Agreed. I also have a City Mini (double-gasp! Hummer size!?!) and the fold is SO quick, just pull a handle on the seat and it's done, no fumbling necessary.
I am all about courtesy, always. It must go both ways though.

No signage. But, it's just common sense. As soon as you get into the bus line, take your stroller contents out. Then, when the bus arrives, take your child out, fold up the stroller and get on the bus.
It's rude to leave the stroller 'as is' until you get to the bus door, then stop, remove stuff, take the baby out, then leave dad there to figure out how to fold up the darn thing!!!
Yes, I have seen father's struggling while figuring out how to fold up the stroller....better to practice at home, rather in the bus line!!! :thumbsup2

I have to ask.....those of you who feel that they want to wait until the bus is right there, in front of them, to remove the baby...what do you do on attractions?? You have to take the baby out, carry him/her inside the attraction...etc. The child is out of the stroller for quite awhile for this purpose...why not at the bus stop?? Just curious.

It just one good reason to limit the stuff you pack in your stroller. More stuff to hold onto while you are trying to handle the baby, any other kids and the stroller.

I have to ask.....those of you who feel that they want to wait until the bus is right there, in front of them, to remove the baby...what do you do on attractions?? You have to take the baby out, carry him/her inside the attraction...etc. The child is out of the stroller for quite awhile for this purpose...why not at the bus stop?? Just curious.

If you fold the stroller as soon as you get in the bus line, you end up carrying the stroller and the baby. My stroller folds up small but it's still heavy to carry. In an attraction the stroller waits outside so you only need to schlep the baby.

ETA, I fold the stroller as soon as the bus comes though. I don't wait until I'm at the front of the line. Don't want people to think I'm one of "those" moms ;)

This may or may not be true. If the medical stroller is approved for travel and has tiedowns, you may be able to wheel it onto the bus.

To the PP you may want to post on the Disabilities board. If you know the stroller you are getting, you should be able to get some real life experience from the people on the disabilities board.

not sure if anyone else said this, but I was going to as well.. Some children cannot be removed that easy that is why they are in them too.. I do think they are rolled on, I could be wrong though.. the DisAbilities Board would have this answer....very wise to have poster check there...

I too actually have sat next to someone who had their stroller up.:confused3 They were trying to hold it up off the floor, sort of on their lap, so that the stroller was higher than the seats. When the bus tuned it did slide onto me.. yes, there was the sorry.. but it would have been better if she sat on the end seat instead of the window and held her stroller there maybe.. I do have to say, she took it off the seat to give the seat to me. It was taking the seat up when I boarded the bus. :confused3 Like she didn't know the line was that long behind her.. It just takes a little common sense if you are going to use the bus with the stroller that is all. Just as those with the strollers are entitled to the seats, so are those without them... children or no children...

A person may appear to be healthy but you do not know what may be wrong with them, so do not assume they should be giving up their seat so your stroller can sit... does your stroller have a theme park ticket or a key card :lmao: you may be a party of 4, you don't need to take up 5 seats....:thumbsup2

not sure if anyone else said this, but I was going to as well.. Some children cannot be removed that easy that is why they are in them too.. I do think they are rolled on, I could be wrong though.. the DisAbilities Board would have this answer....very wise to have poster check there...
A stroller being used as a wheelchair can be rolled onto the bus, using the lift or ramp at the back if needed. But, the child should be removed from the stroller and it should be folded once on the bus if it is not a stroller designed for transport.
This is for safety of the child and to prevent damage to the stroller.
If someone has questions about whether their stroller is safe for transport, we can help them figure out.
You may have a point, but that's Disney's policy. I don't whether it's mandated by ADA, or just intended to minimize guest conflict.
There is nothing in the ADA that would require a stroller being used as a wheelchair to be strapped down like a wheelchair.
The ADA never requires an accommodation if it is not safe to do so (for example, if someone has a Service Dog and it is misbehaving and not under control of the handler, a business has the right to require the dog to be removed for the safety of others).
Guests using regular or even special needs strollers as wheelchairs might be happy to roll them onto the bus and not remove the child.
But, I do know of at least 2 people whose strollers were bent just by the act of tying them down because they were not designed for transport. One family noticed the special needs stroller was not pushing quite right on one of the last days of their trip.
They and the other family found out the frame of the stroller had been bent when they needed to fold it up to get home.
They were not happy that their expensive stroller was wrecked beyond repair and were angry that none of the bus drivers had mentioned it could get damaged by tying it down.
So, I am very surprised that Disney would have a policy that puts liability for damage and possible injury on themselves and their drivers.
Actually any stroller may be designated as a wheelchair, but that does NOT mean it gets tied down. Only approved special needs strollers are allowed to be tied down (WC-19 approved, or something like that).

Other than those specific special needs strollers, strollers as wheelchairs can be loaded by the back door, just like wheelchairs, but after that the child must be removed from the stroller for safety reasons. Strollers are not strong enough to be tied down and stay upright and stable in the event of a crash.
Just because they can doesn’t mean they should.

ANSI/RESNA-SOWHAT-WC19 is a set of design standards for wheelchairs and special needs strollers that can safely be used in buses, cars and vans.
ANSI stands for Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America.

Wheelchairs may have special loops built into or bolted onto the frame to make it easier to tie them down for transport. Most wheelchairs also have sturdy welded frame parts that can be safely used to attach tiedowns, even if they were not designed with loops. Most people who own their wheelchairs know exactly which parts are sturdy parts of the frame and which should not be used for the straps.

Strollers are made to be lightweight and to fold easily. Great when you are trying to fold and unfold them to put them into a car trunk, but not safe for sitting on a bus in. Most strollers have frames with many ‘joints’ because that is how they fold up. Many fold in one or 2 steps and fold forward then close side to side. Again, easy when putting into a car trunk, but not safe for sitting on a bus in. In an accident, they would pull apart or collapse.
Some special needs strollers have been designed to ANSI/RESNA WC 19 standards to be safe for transport. They have stronger frame components and have specific places where tiedown straps can be safely attached. They also have better seatbelts and have been crash tested.
This stroller looks like a pretty typical stroller, but is approved for transport.
am_2176_28809428

The red loops near the bottom on the frame are the safe tiedown spots. Not all transport ready strollers will have loops, but many do and all transport ready ones have designated safe tie down spots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter