Strollers on disney buses?

This thread is a sore topic for me. After 10 days at Disney, quite honestly, I'm sick of the Kiddie Cadillacs on the buses. I don't care if they're folded, your Side-By-Side Manhattan Sized Stroller still takes up a ton of room. I was hit by several strollers on my trip while seated on the bus, and at one point a parent put their stroller in front of me, and then walked to the back of the bus, expecting ME to hold their stroller. When it fell on the ground, the parents yelled at me to pick it up. :headache:

All I ask is that if you're going to bring a stroller, please be courteous and mindful of the people around you.

HOLY crap:scared1: I would have told them to hold their own dang stroller

Wow, what's with all the stroller hate? I get that there are some people out there who give strollers a bad name but that can be said about anything. Why don't we just ban all children from the buses? Would that be more convenient and courteous? Taking a cab is impossible for us. We'd have to bring car seats with us to the parks, and no I'm not risking my children's lives by forgoing them for your convenience. It's WDW after all, children and strollers kind of go along with the territory. We are always courteous of others on the bus as I'm sure most others are. It really does seem like some people just want something to be mad about.

Like! Like! Like!

Threads like these made me nervous about using the buses on our trip. We've always used them before with no problems (just DH and me). This time I'm going for the double whammy....big stroller and I'll be pregnant. :eek: I've decided that I'm not going to let all the angry people get me down. We are going to use the buses and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad about it.

Like! Like! Like!

Threads like these made me nervous about using the buses on our trip. We've always used them before with no problems (just DH and me). This time I'm going for the double whammy....big stroller and I'll be pregnant. :eek: I've decided that I'm not going to let all the angry people get me down. We are going to use the buses and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad about it.

I can assure you that if you act responsibly, no one will be angry with you. This thread is pointing out the problems that have come about due to peoples lack of knowledge or courtesy or, shall I say it, common sense. If there is one thing that comes to the surface at WDW it is the ever advancing feeling of entitlement that people display frighteningly too often.

I've got a child so you must bend to my needs, they need a stroller and I don't want to spend the extra money to rent one at the park, so you must put up with it hitting your arms or falling over on you and you will love it because my child is precious. I paid a lot for this vacation and I will do what I want and I have it by good authority that all the rest of you got in free.

It's not that you have a stroller it is how you handle it that is the problem. If you put yourself in the same position as the rest of the people and think about what would honestly upset you if the shoe were on the other foot, and act accordingly...you will know what to do. No need to fear it.

No, any stroller can be designated as being used in place of a wheelchair. It will be treated just like a wheelchair: loaded at the back door and strapped down in the wheelchair space. If it's occupied, the child will also need to wear the seatbelt, unless they are already strapped into the stroller.

To make things easier for the bus drivers, obtain a red tag at any Guest Relations location; I don't know whether the resort concierges have them too.

Although any stroller can be used, it is inadvisable to use a lightweight folding stroller, as it can be bent when the wheelchair straps are tightened down.

This is totally wrong. Strollers are not ment to be used tied down unless designed for it. An accident can cause it to collapse and cause injury to the passenger in it and around it.

In the parks yes any stroller can be used as a wheel chair, but not on transportation.

Denise in MI

Like! Like! Like!

No worries! I haven't ever had a problem with our stroller. We use a double umbrella, and we have always been able to get it on or off, have never asked anyone else to watch it, and have encountered very nice people on the buses.

You will have a great time, and should definitely not feel the need to rent a car or hire a taxi! You pay for the transporation and you should use it. Disney is a place for ALL ages. Babies and preschoolers included. ;)

Our stroller does not fold super-flat. It's a single but it's an older stroller and not nearly as easy as most. But it's never been a problem. We have DH in charge of folding and holding the stroller and I'm in charge of the kids on the bus. With one person in charge of just the stroller, we've had no problems with respecting other passenger's space.

We took our Graco double last year and will be taking it again this year. The only pain in the butt was emptying our stuff out of the storage to fold up, but other than that we had no problem. It folded up nice enough that it wasn't in anyone's way!
HTH

Part of the money you spend on your on property resort includes transportation to and from the parks. Why should people feel the need to spend extra on taxi fare? It's not parents' fault for bringing a stroller on a bus and having a hard time putting it anywhere, that is Disney's fault. They should have better options for storing a stroller and having it strapped down somehow(like the scooters). How hard would it be to have a rack underneath for strollers(or the like)?

Anyways, that being said, what is to stop a 200 pound man from barreling down the walkway of the bus on a sudden stop? If rogue strollers were such a threat, I would imagine they would try and take the proper steps to prevent injuries.

Wow, what's with all the stroller hate? I get that there are some people out there who give strollers a bad name but that can be said about anything. Why don't we just ban all children from the buses? Would that be more convenient and courteous? Taking a cab is impossible for us. We'd have to bring car seats with us to the parks, and no I'm not risking my children's lives by forgoing them for your convenience. It's WDW after all, children and strollers kind of go along with the territory. We are always courteous of others on the bus as I'm sure most others are. It really does seem like some people just want something to be mad about.

I agree. It is threads like this that make me almost afraid to use the bus. I might make a newbie mistake! There definitely are some jerks out there that use strollers for their kids, and then there are people who made an honest mistake. And sure, an umbrella stroller is the smallest, but it is not going to meet every family's needs.

Like! Like! Like!

A few thoughts......why no stroller storage?? Buses just can't do that. Way too close to the ground as it is..not enough room for a bunch of strollers.
It is a parent's decision to bring a stroller. If you make that choice, then please be aware of your surroundings. No one here is 'hating' on strollers. But many of us have had nasty run ins with folded up strollers on buses. I have seen parents decide that it is easier to load their unfolded stroller from the back of the bus....but, that isn't allowed, so the driver just closed the door when the last guests exit. If someone tries to shove a stroller in that doorway, they are asking for trouble. I have seen the doors slam shut on a stroller with a child still in it!!!! The poor driver. But, I have also seen parents lined up nicely, stroller all folded up, and the bus driver tells the dad to load through the rear door since the stroller is larger than most.
No one here is out to get families with strollers. Most stroller families are very nice and they are considerate of others. But, your choice to bring a stroller for your child (children) does not mean that you get to do what you want to do, at the expense of other guests.
Get in the bus line, take your child out of the stroller and unload it, fold it up and then approach the bus doors. Get on the bus, take a seat, find a larger area in which to stand with the folded up stroller if there is no room close to the rest of the family. Do not stand in the aisle just to be close to your wife and child. You all get off at the same point. You can hop off first, unfold the stroller and have it all ready for your child by the time your wife exits the bus.

Common sense and good manners are all it takes...and the vast majority of people fall into that catagory. It's hard to make a 'newbie mistake' when we're talking about common sense and basic good manners here.

Well the way some people sound on this forum, it seems like no one but the childless, able-bodied people should be allowed on the bus or in the parks. Some even go so far as to ask for them to be banned! If it's so offensive, you take a taxi. The stroller hate is just getting old. Take a step back and put yourself in the parents' shoes, as most of them are doing the same thing to try and not step on your toes. :hippie:

And I'm sure if Disney really wanted to, they could implement some sort of stroller storage area on those buses(maybe the rear?).

No hate meant, sorry if this sounded mean. I just want people to understand that it's not easy on the other end either, but we try.

Wow! Thank you for all of the information everyone. I was not trying to stir up controversy by any means. I was simply trying to gather information so when we leave the MK after MNSSHP we will have an idea of the best way to get to our vehicle. Since the monorails are NOT running (which we always have taken in the past with a stroller), it kind of limits our options to the buses or the ferry. Apparently, the ferry is a nightmare (from what others have said). So, I was investigating the bus option. Again, thank you for all of the input---well received. In the end, it's Disney----we'll still have a magical time!

A few thoughts......why no stroller storage?? Buses just can't do that. Way too close to the ground as it is..not enough room for a bunch of strollers.
It is a parent's decision to bring a stroller. If you make that choice, then please be aware of your surroundings. No one here is 'hating' on strollers. But many of us have had nasty run ins with folded up strollers on buses. I have seen parents decide that it is easier to load their unfolded stroller from the back of the bus....but, that isn't allowed, so the driver just closed the door when the last guests exit. If someone tries to shove a stroller in that doorway, they are asking for trouble. I have seen the doors slam shut on a stroller with a child still in it!!!! The poor driver. But, I have also seen parents lined up nicely, stroller all folded up, and the bus driver tells the dad to load through the rear door since the stroller is larger than most.
No one here is out to get families with strollers. Most stroller families are very nice and they are considerate of others. But, your choice to bring a stroller for your child (children) does not mean that you get to do what you want to do, at the expense of other guests.
Get in the bus line, take your child out of the stroller and unload it, fold it up and then approach the bus doors. Get on the bus, take a seat, find a larger area in which to stand with the folded up stroller if there is no room close to the rest of the family. Do not stand in the aisle just to be close to your wife and child. You all get off at the same point. You can hop off first, unfold the stroller and have it all ready for your child by the time your wife exits the bus.

Common sense and good manners are all it takes...and the vast majority of people fall into that catagory. It's hard to make a 'newbie mistake' when we're talking about common sense and basic good manners here.

:thumbsup2 Very Good Post!

This is all people are asking. We, well most are parents and have been to Disney with kids. It just seems that years ago we made accommodations for other people and now parents expect other people to make accommodations for them.

Be courteous, be efficient and remember you aren't any more special than everyone else at Disney.

And this applies to the monorail also, No I won't get off and wait for the next one so you don't have to fold your huge double stroller, as was asked of me on the last trip.

Well the way some people sound on this forum, it seems like no one but the childless, able-bodied people should be allowed on the bus or in the parks. Some even go so far as to ask for them to be banned! If it's so offensive, you take a taxi. The stroller hate is just getting old. Take a step back and put yourself in the parents' shoes, as most of them are doing the same thing to try and not step on your toes. :hippie:

And I'm sure if Disney really wanted to, they could implement some sort of stroller storage area on those buses(maybe the rear?).

No hate meant, sorry if this sounded mean. I just want people to understand that it's not easy on the other end either, but we try.
Uh....I am in those shoes. I wasn't lucky enough to be able to afford to take my first two children to WDW until they were in their 30's, and my now 18 y/o has been lucky enough to be going since she was 5..and no stroller.
There is no need for stroller storage. You want to see whining??? Wait until you see the whining about....'Well, I got to the bus stop with my 4 kids and there were no stroller spots left. With what I am paying for this trip, I should get a stroller spot, or two, since i have two strollers!!'...or the 'Why in heaven's name do we have to wait to load up all those strollers???' Yep, it would be worse than now.

I am only asking for common sense. But it would seem that lately as soon as someone gives birth, everyone else needs to take a number so that that particular family can be properly provided for. You choose to bring a stroller and use the buses. Just be aware of your surroundings and try not to negatively impact other guests!!!

I have absolutely no 'stroller hate' going on....or, even worse, 'children' hate. Nothing could be further from the truth. But I will not tolerate rudeness and entitlement anywhere, nope, not even at WDW. I completely understand an accident happening and your stroller bangs up against me. But if it happened because dad decided he didn't want to hold onto it??? Yeah, not so happy about that.

This happens every single time the whole stroller issue comes along. Those without kids in strollers try to point out the correct way to ride the buses with a stroller, then those who use strollers come along and tell the others that they are mean and hateful.

Uh....I am in those shoes. I wasn't lucky enough to be able to afford to take my first two children to WDW until they were in their 30's, and my now 18 y/o has been lucky enough to be going since she was 5..and no stroller.
There is no need for stroller storage. You want to see whining??? Wait until you see the whining about....'Well, I got to the bus stop with my 4 kids and there were no stroller spots left. With what I am paying for this trip, I should get a stroller spot, or two, since i have two strollers!!'...or the 'Why in heaven's name do we have to wait to load up all those strollers???' Yep, it would be worse than now.

I am only asking for common sense. But it would seem that lately as soon as someone gives birth, everyone else needs to take a number so that that particular family can be properly provided for. You choose to bring a stroller and use the buses. Just be aware of your surroundings and try not to negatively impact other guests!!!

I have absolutely no 'stroller hate' going on....or, even worse, 'children' hate. Nothing could be further from the truth. But I will not tolerate rudeness and entitlement anywhere, nope, not even at WDW. I completely understand an accident happening and your stroller bangs up against me. But if it happened because dad decided he didn't want to hold onto it??? Yeah, not so happy about that.

This happens every single time the whole stroller issue comes along. Those without kids in strollers try to point out the correct way to ride the buses with a stroller, then those who use strollers come along and tell the others that they are mean and hateful.

I think the reason us stroller toting heathens get so defensive is because it seems that we are always the ones equated with the rudeness and intolerance when in actuality it should go both ways. I took many childless trips to WDW before I had kids and I always tried to be tolerant of those around me. Nothing has changed since I had children. We do everything we can to keep our children and our stroller from negatively impacting other quests and most other parents do the same. A little sympathy and understanding would be appreciated as travelling with little ones isn't always easy. :goodvibes

You're not going to get sympathy and understanding if you put your megastroller across three seats on the bus, stand it up without bracing or holding it so that it falls on someone after the first curve, expect someone not in your party to keep your stroller off the bus floor, or you get mad and start yelling because the bus driver asked you to get out of line, take the kid out of the stroller and fold it. You're just not. These are not things parents HAVE to do. But these are all things I've seen parents do on the buses (except leave it up to another person to hold your stroller, someone on the thread said that happened to them)

You're not going to get sympathy and understanding if you put your megastroller across three seats on the bus, stand it up without bracing or holding it so that it falls on someone after the first curve, expect someone not in your party to keep your stroller off the bus floor, or you get mad and start yelling because the bus driver asked you to get out of line, take the kid out of the stroller and fold it. You're just not. These are not things parents HAVE to do. But these are all things I've seen parents do on the buses (except leave it up to another person to hold your stroller, someone on the thread said that happened to them)

Agggh! This thread is driving me insane! :rotfl: Did you miss the part where I wrote I do everything I can to not affect other guests negatively? That includes the common sense of making sure my stroller is folded and taken care of by my DH, not taking up 3 seats, and why on earth would I yell at the bus driver? I'm not an idiot. Yes there are idiots out there who may act this way but my experience has taught me that they are few and far between. The point of my post was that we shouldn't all be painted with the same brush. Reserve your ridicule for those rare instances when parents do act like idiots.

And nobody's suggesting that you are in the wrong and don't deserve sympathy and understanding just because you have a stroller. I don't see them complaining about strollers being present. The complaints are about stroller users who behave without common sense or courtesy. They're not talking about you and those guests really are not few and far between in my experience. There are also posts that say maybe other posters want Disney to just ban kids. No matter how big a guest's stroller is, if they handle it correctly nobody reasonable will care that they have it (unless it is absolutely too big to even get on the bus).

Here's the issue...as I see it anyway. Some here are stroller users and most likely, very polite, well mannered ones. But, there are others here, not stroller users, who have been very negatively impacted by less well mannered stroller users.
The issue is....those of us who are non-stroller users are NOT talking about the well mannered, polite stroller users. We thank you all for using common sense when getting on a bus with your stroller.
So then, those using strollers feel (I'm assuming anyway) that we non-stroller users are 'hating' on all stroller users, so you all get in a tizzy because you feel that we are attacking you.
But...we aren't. We're attacking the idiots who show no common sense or use no manners whatsoever when taking a stroller to a bus.

We have all seen the mom pushing the stroller after Wishes has finished. It's dark, it's hugely crowded but she doens't much care. She wants out of the area in front of the Castle where she just 'had' to watch Wishes from. She doesn't care who she rams with that darned thing...dare I say weapon?? I actually heard one woman yelling.....lady with a baby, coming through...lets move it people, I need to get through here. Um, and nobody else wanted to get through either??? Just silly.

Truly, there are wonderful parents who are aware of their surroundings who don't negatively impact other guests when using their stroller. They fold it up nicely before the bus arrives, they stand by the rear door where there is more room for them and the stroller. Really...we all see this behaviour every day at WDW.
But, there are those who do NOT adhere to this mentality. It's all about them, and everyone else can just 'get behind them'...so to speak.

I understand that this topic can get out of hand and part of the reason is that folks are not reading and/or comprehending what is being said. For example..the part about children not being allowed on the bus. That particular phrase was said by someone who had children and strollers. It was sarcasm and defensive lash out. It wasn't said by anyone that didn't have kids. Besides, that is just a silly assumption anyway.

You are right about one thing...Disney could implement some sort of stroller storage on those buses, but you must remember that any designated stroller storage would come from people passenger space. I doubt that would go over real well. Remember for every action there is a reaction. Nothing can take up space that doesn't exist. It has to come from somewhere.

The solution, of course, is to just be considerate and use common sense when dealing with stroller handling on buses. Leave the sense of entitlement at home and remember that none of those people asked you to have children, they are your responsibility and not that of strangers. You must be the one to flex, not them. I think that doing that will bring out a sense of cooperation from others as well.

The thing that drives me crazy is that no one can ask a stroller question without being given a lecture on stroller etiquette. For every person who uses the stroller as a battering ram, doesn't fold it up before the bus comes, and takes up valuable bus space with the stroller, I bet there is also someone who stops in the middle of a crowded walkway (and may get run into), walks into the middle of walkway before looking to see if someone is coming (again getting run into), places packages or backpacks on empty seats, or who takes up space by not moving to the back of the bus when standing. It doesn't take a stroller to be an idiot in the parks.

You are right about one thing...Disney could implement some sort of stroller storage on those buses, but you must remember that any designated stroller storage would come from people passenger space. I doubt that would go over real well. Remember for every action there is a reaction. Nothing can take up space that doesn't exist. It has to come from somewhere.

Unless they could rig up something like they have on buses at ski resorts where there are specially designed racks on the outside of the back of the bus...you could argue the weather issue, but I don't see that it would be significantly different than leaving your stroller in stroller parking in the rain.
Depending on how it was designed you might actually be able to accommodate both more strollers and more passengers on the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter