Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

You can mince words all you want, but laughing at the "humorous" sight of a child "crammed into a stroller", is laughing AT the child. You might not point and make fun, but you are laughing at them, and if they see you reacting that way they will feel bad about themselves. You can try to justify it all you want, but your stripes are showing.

And you can try and pretend all you want but if you walk thru a crowd with a child very obviously crammed into a baby stroller people are going to laugh. And if you don't think they are then explain the success of all the shows that are on TV showing things like this for a laugh, and a lot of comedy is based on exaggeration. Like the clown driving the itty bitty car. Ertle (sp) wearing the extremely short pants.

So if you don't want people laughing don't give them anything to laugh at, get the proper equipment so the child doesn't stand out. Don't put the child in the embarrassing position of trying to fit where they don't.

Another thing the majority of people asking these questions don't have special needs children, it is only on the Dis that every conversation has to get back to special needs or hidden disabilities.

You can mince words all you want, but laughing at the "humorous" sight of a child "crammed into a stroller", is laughing AT the child. You might not point and make fun, but you are laughing at them, and if they see you reacting that way they will feel bad about themselves. You can try to justify it all you want, but your stripes are showing.

:thumbsup This!

I agree it would be better for some children to get a special needs stroller. But as I said previously, there are not a lot of them for rent and they are double in price. I can understand why someone might decide to rent a regular stroller if they just push their child for short intervals, say from fantasy land to tomorrow land.

But folks can phrase it however they want. Laughing at or just "laughing" because a child is in a stroller is just mean regardless if they are special needs or because their parents are being silly because they think their normal functioning 8 year old can't walk all day.

I meant your personal line in the sand. When do you, as a parent, decide that your child is old enough to walk.

My question was when do each of you decide when your child is too old for a stroller?

If it isn't an age criteria is it a size criteria or a parental ability thing.

When is your kid too big for a stroller?

Okay, as a parent, and concerning my 5 children, decisions were made based on the individual child and the circumstances of the situation at the time.

In general, all of my children stopped riding in a stroller around 3 years of age.

This was based on the child's desire to walk. I did NOT have a set age or size limit for riding in a stroller. (All of my children were tiny for their age.)

On a trip to WDW when our youngest was 4, we did not bring a stroller because he hadn't used one at home in a very long time. Our first day in the parks was at MK. As soon as we started down Main St., he began clinging to his father and wanted to be held. He wasn't tired, or being a brat, or being lazy, he was scared. I don't know if he was just overwhelmed by the size of the crowd or a combination of the crowd and the sensory stimulation, but he was scared. DH carried him for awhile, I offer, as did the older kids, and we all tried to reassure him, but all he did was cling to Daddy. We decided to rent a stroller, and it was the best decision for him at the time. He felt safe tucked into the stroller. (He rode in the stroller with his hood pulled over his eyes everyday and we have our photopass pictures to prove it. :rotfl:)

The following year, he didn't have any issues so no need for a stroller.

I think most parents hope their child/ren will hit all the milestones within normal range and exhibit age appropriate behavior. However, in the large scheme of things, some things really don't have any bearing on the future outcome of anything meaningful. What age, weight and height a child was when they stopped riding in a stroller is one of them.

Another thing the majority of people asking these questions don't have special needs children, it is only on the Dis that every conversation has to get back to special needs or hidden disabilities.

That's because some poster always comes along and takes a stance on wheelchairs, ECV scooters, strollers, etc., and then in an attempt to sound reasonable, compassionate or politically correct, adds... With the exception of special needs, those with disabilities, someone who really needs it, etc.

So, those that know, are trying to educate those that don't...

One simply can not tell, just by looking at someone, the status of their health, what medical conditions their dealing with, or if they have a disability.

Since no one can tell just by looking, statements made about the people that don't really need wheelchairs, ECV, etc.,, just sound judgemental and ignorant.

I realize and agree with you that the OP in this thread didn't indicate that her daughter had a medical need, but along comes a parent or family member of someone that does have a medical need, is hurt by some of what has be written here, and has one of their fears confirmed... my child/loved one will be looked down on, teased or made fun of because they are different.

Now this poster, in an attempt to not have more pain, unnecessary pain inflicted on their child, tries to explain about hidden disabilities, which usually brings on the response...

"I'm not referring to those with disabilities, I have no problem with someone who has special needs, I'm talking about those that don't have any disabilities!" :confused3:(

Sooo after reading about 6 pages I have since given up lol. I am sure that the OP has as well ;)
On our trip in August we brought a stroller for my 6.5 (44 inch, 41 lb.) brother. We used the First Years Jet stroller which can go to 50 lbs but also has a higher back.
For those who judge, haste. You dont know the situation. For example my brother has some special needs (although not visable) and cannot handle the crowds. His stamina has absolutely nothing to do with his need for a stroller(he too is very active swimming and dancing competitively 6 hours a week)- but this was his safe space while on our trip. Thankfully we did not get any comments (I think in part because he looks younger than he is, could easily pass for 4) while he was in the stroller - I personally think the vast majority of people on their own family vacations could care less. The only comment and a couple of stares was when we were using the GAC card for him but really WHO CARES! I dont know them, they dont know me so.... :snooty: For us personally the stroller worked for us and if you think this would make your kiddos have a better time GO FOR IT. I think that having a single stroller and trading off would work fine and I am sure both of your kids will want to be on rides most of the time :) I know this is a discussion board and people have the right to their own opinions... that is the point of discussions but I have seen too many times it get snarky and sometimes mean. I would encourage the bullies on the board (not to say I have seen any in this thread) to take a second and think before they speak. You dont know the OP, their circumstance or anything about them so who are you to judge. Phew... there lol.

I think most of the posters here have already agreed that children with special needs (as your brother) would be fine with a stroller for special needs kids..

what most are questioning is the use of strollers (which were invented for preschoolers)being used by elementary aged children , (okay, kindergarteners being the "grey area"). able bodied, children with no special needs.

if every elementary aged child were in a stroller, there would be no room to walk!( yes, it's hot. yes, you're tired. we all are. take it easy. take a break. dad is probably more tired and in worse shape than the 8 year old!)

(and, again, I wouldn't laugh at the older child in the stroller, he/she might have special needs..actually I wouldn't laugh at a child at all.)

So if you don't want people laughing don't give them anything to laugh at, get the proper equipment so the child doesn't stand out. Don't put the child in the embarrassing position of trying to fit where they don't.

That goes against everything anyone with a disability has fought for. They don't have the short buses pick up the disabled kids for school anymore for a reason. People want to blend, and not stand out. You are saying we should take a step back, and mark everyone with a DISABLED sign so that others know something is wrong. Instead of teaching people to be non judgemental. I think you are doing it backwards.

It shouldn't make any difference if that child is a wheelchair or a stroller. Laughing at a child is unacceptable, and even crass behavior from an adult.

And you can try and pretend all you want but if you walk thru a crowd with a child very obviously crammed into a baby stroller people are going to laugh. And if you don't think they are then explain the success of all the shows that are on TV showing things like this for a laugh, and a lot of comedy is based on exaggeration. Like the clown driving the itty bitty car. Ertle (sp) wearing the extremely short pants.

This exactly. If the poster had said her child was special needs and needed a stroller no one would bat an eye and this conversation wouldn't be happening. However that's not the case. She wants a stroller for an older, bigger child who is healthy and might whine. Huge difference! And again I stand by my stance that if I see a kid shoved into a too small stroller, hunched over and miserable I'm gonna chuckle. I do a lot of people-watching when I go to Disney. Best entertainment anywhere.

"I'm not referring to those with disabilities, I have no problem with someone who has special needs, I'm talking about those that don't have any disabilities!" :confused3:(

What are you confused about, we aren't talking about children with disabilities, we are talking about physically/mentally healthy 8 year olds.

As far as laughing at a kid in a stroller, I wouldn't do that, however if I see an older kid in a stroller I'm going to wonder a couple things. I will wonder if the child has some disability, or if they are just being treated like a baby. I can understand that a parent of a child with a disability doesn't want their child looked as "different" but either way an 8 year old in a stroller IS different. You don't have to advertise which of those 2 things apply to you, but then you will get looks and judgment, and unfortunately from some, laughter.

Some people have been talking about kids with disabilities because it was broached. Clarifying.

In this world you never know the whole story of other's lives.

Parents of kids with disabilities should be able to make the choices based on what is practical and affordable not by snippy people who have nothing better to do on vacation than to mock others. So sad that there is nothing better in their lives to occupy them.

Some people have been talking about kids with disabilities because it was broached. Clarifying.

In this world you never know the whole story of other's lives.

The OP stated she wanted a stroller for her dd because she is a big complainer when she gets tired. She gets whiny etc etc. She never stated her dd could not physically manage to walk around the park.
Others have come and said "my child has a disability, you'd never know by looking at them". Okay, but that isn't who we are talking about, we are talking about kids like the OP described.

Per the new rule re only addressing the op...

Op, do whatever you have to to get through the trip and then deal with the behaviors that made it necessary.

Happy now?

Conversations flow. Is there a rule here that people can only answer the op?

Excuse me? YOU decided to flow your way into a post of mine that was part of another conversation between 2 other posters.
So please don't sit there are try to change the context of something not directed to you in order for you to make your stand, and then turn belligerent because you didn't understand the conversation you were flowing into. :rolleyes2
You are free to discuss anything here, with anyone, but if you are, you should really try to make it a point to understand the person you were addressing and the context of their post in regards to the conversation they were flowing in ;)
I'm sure if you google it, you'll find some Internet Message Board 101 forums to help you :teacher:

What are you confused about, we aren't talking about children with disabilities, we are talking about physically/mentally healthy 8 year olds.

You're joking, right?

it is only on the Dis that every conversation has to get back to special needs or hidden disabilities.

Hannathy, made the above statement. In my post that you quoted, I was addressing why the subject of hidden disabilities comes up, then with you're above statement, you did exactly what I was referring to..

The OP stated she wanted a stroller for her dd because she is a big complainer when she gets tired. She gets whiny etc etc. She never stated her dd could not physically manage to walk around the park.
Others have come and said "my child has a disability, you'd never know by looking at them". Okay, but that isn't who we are talking about, we are talking about kids like the OP described.

Right, and she never asked what others thought about strollers for older kids, only which strollers would work better.

This has been addressed throughout this entire thread...

"The OP didn't ask if she should get a stroller for her older child."
"This is a public discussion board, she needs to expect to get all types of answers."

Yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

If everyone STUCK to what opinions the OP was seeking -
WHICH stroller to use for older bigger kids?
NOT -
What do you think, SHOULD I get a stroller for my older big child?

Well then... You probably wouldn't be posting in this thread, either.

If some can offer their unsolicited opinions, others will address those and explain their position. Can't have it one way.

You're joking, right?

Hannathy, made the above statement. In my post that you quoted, I was addressing why the subject of hidden disabilities comes up, then with you're above statement, you did exactly what I was referring to..

Right, and she never asked what others thought about strollers for older kids, only which strollers would work better.

This has been addressed throughout this entire thread...

"The OP didn't ask if she should get a stroller for her older child."
"This is a public discussion board, she needs to expect to get all types of answers."

Yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

If everyone STUCK to what opinions the OP was seeking -
WHICH stroller to use for older bigger kids?
NOT -
What do you think, SHOULD I get a stroller for my older big child?

Well then... You probably wouldn't be posting in this thread, either.

If some can offer their unsolicited opinions, others will address those and explain their position. Can't have it one way.

Look at the title of the thread Stroller for an 8 year old? Which one?

I see two questions there ;)

ETA this whole thing has already been addressed here. When you post on a message board you are going to get a number of opinions on what you post. If you only want a single question answered, then avoid the internet and ask your real life friends who will most likely tell you what they think you want to hear. However as long as you post on a public forum, you are going to hear all the public has to say about all you said.

Hahahahaha, so a punctuation mark allows mean and snark. Because I sure that the poster wanted to be ripped. Masochistic or troll?

Hahahahaha, so a punctuation mark allows mean and snark. Because I sure that the poster wanted to be ripped. Masochistic or troll?

Snark? If you think sharing an opinion on something that doesn't agree with the OP's as snark then there really isn't anything else I'm going to say to you. Its okay, some people don't get it and there are plenty of others here to converse with that do, I'll just find them. Have a good one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter