Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

On our last trip we rented a double City Mini from Magic Strollers for DD'S it worked out great next year when we go we will again rent a double, due to my older DD7 having low muscle tone on her legs she tires quickly and her legs start to hurt, normally we don't have her in a stroller but we don't walk that much either but for Disney we will if she wants to sit its there and if not I have another side on the stroller to store stuff, you know your child do what you feel is best and have a great time :goodvibes

Originally Posted by Nayan
Agreed. I told my son when he was younger and begging to go to Disney that he would be walking and if he needed a break he needed to speak up otherwise we'd keep on going. We took plenty of breaks, he walked and there was no whining. Trust me, if I see your 8 year old snowflake in a stroller not only will I laugh and snicker but so will my son.

Origianlly Posted by Nayan
Exactly my point. A healthy 8 year old is very capable of walking around the parks fine. Using a stroller for a disabled child I have no issue with but using one for a healthy one who "might" whine and complain? Really?

This just hurts my heart. My daughter will be almost 6 when we take to WDW for the first time in a few months. We'll take the stroller and if she needs it, we'll use it. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her that she has a neuromuscular disorder and some sensory issues. She's not a complainer at all and she has learned that she just can't keep up and that's who she is, so it wouldn't bother her to have to use a stroller when she got tired. It would upset her if someone said something hateful or laughed at her when she didn't understand why...and really there is no understanding why someone would do that to a child.

I guess what bothers me the most about the above statements is that you say you have no problem for a disabled/special needs child to use a stroller...yet the first statement you and your son would laugh and snicker at seeing a bigger child in a stroller.
So it really doesn't matter who you laugh at...a normal child or a special needs child? Because if you can't tell by looking at a child that their brain doesn't allow their muscles to work normally...then how do you decide who to laugh at and who not.

This just hurts my heart. My daughter will be almost 6 when we take to WDW for the first time in a few months. We'll take the stroller and if she needs it, we'll use it. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her that she has a neuromuscular disorder and some sensory issues. She's not a complainer at all and she has learned that she just can't keep up and that's who she is, so it wouldn't bother her to have to use a stroller when she got tired. It would upset her if someone said something hateful or laughed at her when she didn't understand why...and really there is no understanding why someone would do that to a child.

I guess what bothers me the most about the above statements is that you say you have no problem for a disabled/special needs child to use a stroller...yet the first statement you and your son would laugh and snicker at seeing a bigger child in a stroller.
So it really doesn't matter who you laugh at...a normal child or a special needs child? Because if you can't tell by looking at a child that their brain doesn't allow their muscles to work normally...then how do you decide who to laugh at and who not.

Aww, your post breaks my heart. Don't worry about what others say/think, just do what is right for your child. Honestly, I don't think you will encounter any of this behavior at WDW, but on the slim chance that you do, that's their problem. Really, either they're ignorant, lack insight and compassion or are so focused on what others are doing, they can't be enjoying their own family.

You can't tell by looking at our son what his medical problems are, how many surgeries he had or how many times he's been hospitalized, either. I'm glad about that... less people judging and commenting. His problems won't be helped by riding in a stroller or wheelchair, so that's not an issue for us.

Have a magical trip! pixiedust:

Only on the DISboards will you see posts about healthy 8 year olds in strollers, 6-7 year olds in diapers so they don't have to take potty breaks, parents themselves in Depends, etc. It is a vacation, not a marathon and yes I have laughed at older kids in strollers. Why? Because they didn't fit and they looked so miserable. We're talking big kids (my size and I'm a shorty) in tiny strollers being pushed by commando parents. It's hilarious! Now on the flip side, if your kid has issues, I am sure that you would make sure they are comfortable for the long haul. However, there is no reason why a healthy 8 year old needs a stroller. None.

Only on the DISboards will you see posts about healthy 8 year olds in strollers, 6-7 year olds in diapers so they don't have to take potty breaks, parents themselves in Depends, etc. It is a vacation, not a marathon and yes I have laughed at older kids in strollers. Why? Because they didn't fit and they looked so miserable. We're talking big kids (my size and I'm a shorty) in tiny strollers being pushed by commando parents. It's hilarious! Now on the flip side, if your kid has issues, I am sure that you would make sure they are comfortable for the long haul. However, there is no reason why a healthy 8 year old needs a stroller. None.

I think it is pretty sad that anyone would laugh at a child in a stroller. You have no way of knowing if that child had a disability or not.

Where would my line in the sand be? I don't know, because I'm sure I ended up crossing it. One trip with to WDW we had a double stroller in Epcot for my younger niece, who I think as 5 at the time. Her older sister hopped in for a while. What would have been obvious to most passers by was that they were the same size. What would not have been obvious was that her older sister was 10 at the time. And had been to the Dr just before the trip.

So yeah, laughing in a malicious way at any child in a stroller is sinking pretty low for an adult, imho. You don't know what is going on in that family, and quite frankly, it is none of your business. Only on the Disboards would anyone think it was.

I don't even notice strollers unless one hits me in the ankle.
Had to comment on the diapered 6-7 year olds and parents in Depends just to avoid potty breaks-yuck! What happens when the kids or adults soil their diapers? Do they just leave the urine and/or mess? That might give them a rash which would make the trip miserable not to mention it's just gross.

Before anyone pounces, I 100% understand diapering/Depends for those who need it. Likely, they'd prefer not having to wear them. They probably don't do it just to avoid the potty.

maxiesmom said:
I think it is pretty sad that anyone would laugh at a child in a stroller. You have no way of knowing if that child had a disability or not.

Where would my line in the sand be? I don't know, because I'm sure I ended up crossing it. One trip with to WDW we had a double stroller in Epcot for my younger niece, who I think as 5 at the time. Her older sister hopped in for a while. What would have been obvious to most passers by was that they were the same size. What would not have been obvious was that her older sister was 10 at the time. And had been to the Dr just before the trip.

So yeah, laughing in a malicious way at any child in a stroller is sinking pretty low for an adult, imho. You don't know what is going on in that family, and quite frankly, it is none of your business. Only on the Disboards would anyone think it was.

Nicely said. Why spend a vacation snarling at what others do? We aren't talking about something that affects others like screaming toddlers.

What an example you are setting for your children. An adult laughing at a child is shameful. As others have said, there is no way you know what the circumstances are regarding that child. And just so you know, special needs strollers are very expensive and they are pricey to rent and from my understanding, the offsite company that rents them doesn't have a huge amount. Besides, maybe the child just needs a ride now and then. I think most agree at a healthy 8 year old doesn't need a stroller. But who are you to laugh and make fun of a child. And honestly, why would you care? Would you like some other adult to laugh and make fun of your child because they think something he or she is doing is silly?

And your post breaks my heart :( It truly bothers me that people come here looking for support, answers to questions and the general camaraderie that SHOULD be at a place like the DIS...and instead new people find threads like THIS. It is appalling to me that adults, with children of their own, can be so mean to each other.

And people say there are no judgmental posts in this thread. What a nice example to set for children.
My very healthy and active 10 yr old daughter plopped her behind in the stroller we rented for her 4 yo twin siblings on day 7 of our trip for a brief break...we were hot, and tired and I frankly did not care that she wanted to sit for a bit...neither did her dad who was pushing. I can also guarantee that had someone dared to laugh at my kid, momma and poppa bear would have made an appearance. There is NEVER any reason to laugh AT a child. EVER.

. Would you like some other adult to laugh and make fun of your child because they think something he or she is doing is silly?

If my child is doing something silly or way outside the norm I would expect someone to laugh.

There is a big difference in laughing because something looks funny and laughing at the person.
When you do something outside the norm you have to expect someone to notice. Like the people with blue hair or a ton of tattoos, it is out of the norm and people are going to look and react.

If my child is doing something silly or way outside the norm I would expect someone to laugh.

There is a big difference in laughing because something looks funny and laughing at the person.
When you do something outside the norm you have to expect someone to notice. Like the people with blue hair or a ton of tattoos, it is out of the norm and people are going to look and react.

So by your logic an 8 year old with a severe neuromuscular disability sitting in a stroller deserves to be laughed at? As an adult you set an example to your children and making fun of others is a poor example to set. It's ok for others to be different and as long as they aren't harming anybody else, who cares. That person with blue hair and tattoos is still a person and teaching your kids to make fun of them because they look "outside the norm" is just wrong on so many levels.

So by your logic an 8 year old with a severe neuromuscular disability sitting in a stroller deserves to be laughed at? As an adult you set an example to your children and making fun of others is a poor example to set. It's ok for others to be different and as long as they aren't harming anybody else, who cares. That person with blue hair and tattoos is still a person and teaching your kids to make fun of them because they look "outside the norm" is just wrong on so many levels.

Just a question, wouldn't an 8 yr old child with a severe neuromuscular disability already have something for assistance rather than a small child's stroller? Like a child's wheelchair or adaptive stroller that fit them and not one where their knees were right under their chin? And wouldn't most of those be single strollers instead of doubles?

Just asking.

then rent the strollers so all are happy. we had to do this for my cousins child who was 7 and it worked fine she even took short naps in it while we sit and took a rest in the shade with our dole whips

Just a question, wouldn't an 8 yr old child with a severe neuromuscular disability already have something for assistance rather than a small child's stroller? Like a child's wheelchair or adaptive stroller that fit them and not one where their knees were right under their chin? And wouldn't most of those be single strollers instead of doubles?

Just asking.

Maybe, maybe no. And I use this example based on a set of 7 year old twin boys who are at the same therapy clinic that my boys attend. They manage ok day by day (they use a rolling walker type thing at school) but when they went to WDW this July I helped their Mom find stroller rentals for them. They wouldn't have made it other wise and they are very large boys (bigger than an average 7 year old). She rented a regular citi mini for each of them and reported it was ok for them. I really hope nobody laughed at these boys. They're really good kids and no, you can't tell by looking at them that they have an issue.

The only line I have drawn around me starts right where my rights begin... don't cross it.

As for someone choosing to allow an older child to ride in a stroller while on vacation... it doesn't cross that line, it doesn't infringe on my rights.

Your kid - your family - your vacation - your $$$ = your decision. None of my business.

It's not likely that I'll even notice, but if I do, I won't give a second thought as to your child being disabled, lazy, spoiled, tired, scared or clowning around. I'm not worried about your family dynamics or long terms effects. I don't expect you to raise your daughter like Laura Ingalls, and I truly have no idea if the current candidates rode in a stroller past infancy. So if at age 35, your child decides to run for president, I'll judge his competency based on his adult actions and decisions.

I won't insist there is only one right way of doing things, or that what's right for me and mine, is what's right for you and yours.

I meant your personal line in the sand. When do you, as a parent, decide that your child is old enough to walk. As I said before, I don't care what other people do. Other people can push whomever they want in a stroller.

My question was when do each of you decide when your child is too old for a stroller? If it isn't an age criteria is it a size criteria or a parental ability thing.

When is your kid too big for a stroller?

I will say it again because you don't seem to be getting it. I never said make fun of anyone! you keep saying that. I said laugh, not laugh at. And I never said make fun of. But I'm sorry if something is humorous I'm going to laugh and seeing anyone crammed into something way to small for them is humorous.
And people who do something to them selves way outside societal norms are doing it to draw attention and they will get a reaction.

And if you have a special needs child then do them a favor and get them the appropriate equipment they need, don't cram them into a baby stroller that makes them look like a contortionist and will draw attention to them. If they need to be pushed thru the park then once they are over a certain age the age appropriate thing is to get a wheelchair or a stroller that is made for older, bigger youths. Many elderly women are very small in stature and weigh very little, should we be pushing them in strollers? no that wouldn't be age appropriate and would be demeaning and to me children reach a certain age that that should be thought of for them also.

Aren't most of those things a combination of all offer above as well as the child's personality. No matter which line one is discussing. There are so many we parents deal with.

My oldest probably sat occasionally in the big double when we had it for the two younger. Otoh my middle had to be put into a wc when he busted his ankle at 5, because he never would have been willing to look like a baby. And i disnt mind humoring him. My youngest never had the benefit of a stroller hanging about to lounge in when taking the long walk around the ws. So he might have hopped in or not given the chance.

Obviously hannathy hasn't had the pleasure of buying wc's and strollers for children in need of assistance. They are wickedly expensive and if not absolutely necessary for everyday use I can imagine using a basic large stroller. Many people only need assistance when endurance is necessary. Spend $100 for the week or spend $1000.

I also can't imagine laughing at the expense of others because they don't fit the societal norms you feel are most important. Most of us balk against one or two routinely. Who the heck wants to be normal 24/7.

You can rent. Just like they rent for elderly people who need assistance, they don't cram them into baby strollers.

I will say it again because you don't seem to be getting it. I never said make fun of anyone! you keep saying that. I said laugh, not laugh at. And I never said make fun of. But I'm sorry if something is humorous I'm going to laugh and seeing anyone crammed into something way to small for them is humorous.
And people who do something to them selves way outside societal norms are doing it to draw attention and they will get a reaction.

And if you have a special needs child then do them a favor and get them the appropriate equipment they need, don't cram them into a baby stroller that makes them look like a contortionist and will draw attention to them. If they need to be pushed thru the park then once they are over a certain age the age appropriate thing is to get a wheelchair or a stroller that is made for older, bigger youths. Many elderly women are very small in stature and weigh very little, should we be pushing them in strollers? no that wouldn't be age appropriate and would be demeaning and to me children reach a certain age that that should be thought of for them also.

You can mince words all you want, but laughing at the "humorous" sight of a child "crammed into a stroller", is laughing AT the child. You might not point and make fun, but you are laughing at them, and if they see you reacting that way they will feel bad about themselves. You can try to justify it all you want, but your stripes are showing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!