Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

:thumbsup2 I think certain ones are continuing the debate just to get in the last word. But OP is long gone...

Or they are just participating in a conversation...

threads often continue long after the OP is gone. it's a discussion board.

posters disagreeing on this thread may agree on other threads. just like my beloved sister and I agree on many things, we also disagree on many others. and we still love each other.

we discuss things, debate back and forth.. that's the nature of a discussion board.

and it's actually NOT true that no one changes anyone's minds. I have learned things on this board, new points of view.

on this thread? I guess the one thing I learned was how strollers can help children with autism/aspergers.

I still contend that these are special needs. and elementary aged children without special needs should not use strollers. not only because it is not good for them (myopinion, and none of my business), but also because it is not only and annoyance, but a burden on everyone else in the park, on the bus, on the monorail, etc.

people need to be understanding and courteous of the little ones, and the necessary strollers. it's when tons of people whose kids Don't need them, and it gets difficult to navigate the parks, that it becomes everyone's problem.

Right. Sometimes the stroller pusher causes the accident, sometimes the person walking does.

ok, I'll give you that. (even tho that's not how you worded it)

but in our case, it wasn't an "accident" . an accident is Oops. sorry about that.

running while pushing a strollerL: if you run into someone , it is not an "accident". it is a "cause and effect", ie, it was bound to happen.

many, MANY times, the stroller pusher is not "running" but walking along at a very brisk pace, and not watching where hshe is going. and I wasn't as aware of this until my hubby's eyesight diminshed, and I started "seeing for 2".

it made me aware of how many stroller pushers just "expect" you to look around and notice that they are changing lanes, so to speak. the stroller "pusher" makes a change, but the stroller is in front of them. and is lower, and hence, makes the "change" first.

ok, I just realize how incrediably boring this sounds.. but navigating around stroller pushers can be very hard. and I know strollers are necessary.

many of us accept this fact. but we are not happy about all the unnecessary strollers. because then we allowed to have an opinion.

I have a 4,6 and 8 year old. I am renting a single city mini and figure my 4 and 6 yr old will trade off. My 8 yr old will just sit if she needs a break. If it is really bad then I may rent one from the park but I echo that the doubles are pain to get on an off the buses and I am thrilled that this is te first year we don't need one!

Disney rents strollers that accommodate up to the size of an average 10 year old
We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me? :confused:

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!
I was told by Disney that they rent them

Disney rents strollers that accommodate up to the size of an average 10 year old
I was told by Disney that they rent them

We rented a Citi Mini GT this past summer for my daughter and niece. At the time they were 8yr (51” and 65lbs) and 6yr (very tiny). The citi mini gt had plenty of room. Both kids said they were comfy and loved being able to lay the seat all the way down to sleep (they never take naps at home but did at Disney) or just get in the shade (being from south Louisiana we know the value of good shade). Before anyone starts the why stroller for older kids debate... it was a calculated decision. Both kids have been to Disney 4 times. Both kids are in competitive sports and in great shape and could have walked. But we wanted them to enjoy the trip. We had 4 adults who took turns pushing and even with the weight in the stroller it was easy to push. Plus we had plenty of room to bring snacks and put our bags.

Is your 8yo disabled? I'm not being snarky, I'm curious because I have son with a neuromuscular disorder and I still don't know what I'm gong to do about him. He's 40 lbs and 6 yo. He doesn't complain, he just collapses when his body gives out. I have a feeling my child would be horrified if I pushed him around in a stroller but carrying him isn't an option. :/

There are high weight limit strollers for rent. I don't see anything wrong with a 6 yo being pushed around in a stroller personally. My child has developmental delays and I worry this time at Disney my child will have difficulty making it through the parks without the use of a stroller, yet a wheelchair is not needed either.

Last edited:
I cant compare the strollers, sorry, maybe call kingdom strollers and ask them. We are renting a stroller from baby wheels and they have been awesome about questions, etc. I also know kingdom strollers has a FB page and I see lots of people posting questions there.

Another thought, I think double strollers are a huge pain to travel on/off buses with. Have you considered maybe doing a single stroller and having your girls switch off? Then if you really feel you need another, you can rent another single or get one in the park? This is what we are doing for our two youngest... I hate double strollers trying to get around, much rather push two singles if I have to have two... hoping we can get by with one!

Good luck! Do what works best for you!

Kingdom has the Liberty.

Another mom who wouldn't get a double stroller. I would let them share one, if necessary.

Here's a few things that have worked for us:

Before travelling, take the kids on family walks to build their stamina. We refer to this as "Disney conditioning".

Let the kids know ahead of time that whining and complaining indicates a tired child who needs a nap. I would give the complainer one warning--then, if the complaining continued, take them back the hotel for a nap/rst break. Only one parent needs to take the child back. If the child is genuinely tired, this will help her immensely; if she's just complaining for the sake of it, she quickly realizes that she's missing out.

Consider taking a daily scheduled break if yoru children can't handle the rigors of WDW.

For a late night, we frequently put one kid up on DH's shoulders, while the other rode in the stroller back to the car/bus stop.
We are taking my almost 4 yr old next month. And while at home she never rides in her stroller anymore, I am certain we will need one for the Disney trip. Just planning on a single Umbrella stroller. But I like your ideas on "Disney conditioning" and needing a nap. Also, breaks are a must. But I sometimes wonder if she will even sit in this stroller or am I going to get stuck pushing it around all week just to be a stuff holder? I wish we could get by without even having it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!