Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me? :confused:

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!
According to the Kingdom Strollers website, the strollers won't work for a child that size:
City Elite Double

The City Elite Double™ will be sure to turn some heads. The City Elite ™ triumphs in its design and ease of use. The City Elite Double™ has a weight capacity of 100lbs and is good for children up to 50" tall.

Mini GT Double

NEW for 2012! The City Mini GT™ series is the perfect hybrid of the Mini and Elite. Best suited for children 46" or less (100lb weight limit), the City Mini GT™ combines the compact form of the Mini with the comfort feature

BOB Revolution Duallie

The BOB Revolution Duallie™ features all the greatness of the single at twice the fun. Its light weight frame makes it easy for mom or dad to steer through any crowded park. The BOB Revolution Duallie™ has a weight capacity of 100lb and is good for children up to 47".

If you check the website for those strollers, I'm pretty sure they say each side can hold no more thn 50 pounds. I think if you want a stroller for your older child, you would be better off renting in the park for her. I have seen 8 and 9 yr olds in them - especially one child in a double if it was a larger child.
They have made strollers bigger than they were when my kids were little - youngest DD had to get a wheelchair when she was 3 because she couldn't walk and, even though she was small for her age, the strollers just were not made for older than toddlers. They are bigger now than they were, but a 52 inch tall child is just not going to fit in a stroller made for a child much shorter.

I just wanted to add I would never laugh at a child, or even say anything to the parent. I can't tell by just looking if the child has special needs, and really needs a stroller.

I agree. We are going in November and I have the same concerns about my DGD. She just turned 6 and has a 4 m/o little sister. She is very active and in wonderful shape but I'm concerned about dragging a 48 pound child 5-8 miles each day over a seven day period. We are staying at BLT but we will be on the go from 7 until probably around 10 each night. I don't want her to ride all day in a stroller but be able to rest when she needs to. We took a stroller when she was four and very proud we had it!!!! I saw too many kids crying because they were tired and parents so intent on their schedule they obviously forgot what their child was physically capable of doing. My plan is to use the stroller for the baby and when older DGD gets tired baby can be put into the Ergo so sister can rest if needed. Everyone's kids are different but I think this will work for our family.

15 hours a day for seven days? Seriously??? I can't do 15 hours a day and I've been many times. With BLT so close to everything, why not just head back to your resort after a few hours in the morning, eat lunch in the resort or in your villa, take a nap, a little time in the pool or in Community Hall and then head back to the parks.

15 hours a day for seven days? Seriously??? I can't do 15 hours a day and I've been many times. With BLT so close to everything, why not just head back to your resort after a few hours in the morning, eat lunch in the resort or in your villa, take a nap, a little time in the pool or in Community Hall and then head back to the parks.

I thought I was the only one who thought that sounded nuts! Whatever happened to the concept of stopping to smell the roses, or enjoying a theme park vacation at a child's pace? 7am-10pm and I would be the one needing the stroller!

I really didn't see anyone being insulting. This is a discussion board and people will discuss. You may not like their opinions, but that doesn't mean anyone is criticizing or insulting you.

Before I start I will say, I don't care what you (general you) do in regards to your own children as long as it isn't abusive. That doesn't mean I agree with your choices, but I really don't care. I don't care if you push your kid into their college dorm in a stroller. It's you, your kid, and your problem. It has no effect on me.

...but here is my opinion.

Past pre-school children who have no sort of disability, illness, or injury do not need a stroller. A healthy child should have more energy and stamina than an adult. Most people, regardless of age, get tired and have sore feet after walking WDW. Again, it is an amusement park, not the Bataan death march. This was not meant to be the trail of tears. It was meant to be fun. It is not non stop walking. You walk a bit, stand a bit, sit a bit. If you are pushing anyone in your party to the point of collapse, then you need to either slow it down, take a break, or call it a day. So many people come on the DIS talking about spending "family time" at WDW, but then don't take the entire family into consideration.

Taking a break does not need you need to pack it in and go back to the hotel. I realize that this is not feasible for everyone. Taking a break can mean seeing a show, sitting on a bench, or riding the people mover.

I also don't agree with the idea of giving into a child because they are whiny. If your kid whined at home because they didn't want to do their homework, are they allowed to skip it? I think kids need to learn that you always have to pay the piper. WDW involves walking. It's a trade off. You get to have a great vacation, but you are going to be tired. Heck, I'm tired at the end of the day.

Something a PP posted earlier stuck with me. The PP said that she had a child with a disability and that she needed an adaptive stroller. She asked why if someone had a healthy child why would they want to push that child in a stroller. I can just imagine all the parents of disabled kids out there would be thrilled if they had kids that could walk the park, and here we are bending over backwards to indulge lazy children, when there are parents and children out there who would probably give anything to have children who could walk.

As a PP said, probably the reason the OP can't find a commercially available stroller to suit her child's height/weight is because general strollers weren't meant to accommodate children that large. I think the general thought is that children that age walk. I find it amusing that the OP is concerned that the child would feel like they were in a "baby stroller."

I really didn't see anyone being insulting. This is a discussion board and people will discuss. You may not like their opinions, but that doesn't mean anyone is criticizing or insulting you.

Before I start I will say, I don't care what you (general you) do in regards to your own children as long as it isn't abusive. That doesn't mean I agree with your choices, but I really don't care. I don't care if you push your kid into their college dorm in a stroller. It's you, your kid, and your problem. It has no effect on me.

Past pre-school children who have no sort of disability, illness, or injury do not need a stroller. A healthy child should have more energy and stamina than an adult. Most people, regardless of age, get tired and have sore feet after walking WDW. Again, it is an amusement park, not the Bataan death march. This was not meant to be the trail of tears. It was meant to be fun. It is not non stop walking. You walk a bit, stand a bit, sit a bit. If you are pushing anyone in your party to the point of collapse, then you need to either slow it down, take a break, or call it a day. So many people come on the DIS talking about spending "family time" at WDW, but then don't take the entire family into consideration.

Taking a break does not need you need to pack it in and go back to the hotel. I realize that this is not feasible for everyone. Taking a break can mean seeing a show, sitting on a bench, or riding the people mover.

I also don't agree with the idea of giving into a child because they are whiny. If your kid whined at home because they didn't want to do their homework, are they allowed to skip it? I think kids need to learn that you always have to pay the piper. WDW involves walking. It's a trade off. You get to have a great vacation, but you are going to be tired. Heck, I'm tired at the end of the day.

Something a PP posted earlier stuck with me. The PP said that she had a child with a disability and that she needed an adaptive stroller. She asked why if someone had a healthy child why would they want to push that child in a stroller. I can just imagine all the parents of disabled kids out there would be thrilled if they had kids that could walk the park, and here we are bending over backwards to indulge lazy children, when there are parents and children out there who would probably give anything to have children who could walk.

As a PP said, probably the reason the OP can't find a commercially available stroller to suit her child's height/weight is because general strollers weren't meant to accommodate children that large. I think the general thought is that children that age walk. I find it amusing that the OP is concerned that the child would feel like they were in a "baby stroller."

:thumbsup2

I was at Disney once and saw on obese woman in and ECV breastfeeding a 10 year old in a stroller while holding a turkey leg in one hand and texting on the other after she cut in line to "catch up" to her family. Did I cover all the hot topics?:woohoo:

Only if you saw it while you were pool hopping, and were so distraught by it that you couldn't tip well on your next dinner.

And drinking from your refillable mug from 3 trips ago while you used the ladies room and your 14 yr old son stood in there looking thru all the doors.

And the 14 year old is on a leash, wearing 27 different "I'm celebrating" buttons.

HOLY COW....that's the loudest I've laughed in quite some time!!!:lmao:

I think this is very well said - my boys are austic & they walked never even thought about a stroller I do admit they are older so that may be why, I did have someone suggest to get a wheelchair for one of them so people wouldn't crowd him but I wasn't going to push him.

I do agree with having the family as a whole start walking together to get ready for the trips, our town has a very nice walking trail that we take the boys on at least twice a month it is 3 miles long so it is a great way to get in shape for Disney & spend time together

another thought I had - how will the child feel about having her picture made in the stroller?? I"m afraid that her "friends at home" will laugh at her - I know no one in the park will think about it after a quick look but those memeries can be hard on a child - to have a great time then don't want to share because of something like this (I had a friend laugh at something my mom made me wear - it made me feel very sad & I still remember it today)

Sooo after reading about 6 pages I have since given up lol. I am sure that the OP has as well ;)
On our trip in August we brought a stroller for my 6.5 (44 inch, 41 lb.) brother. We used the First Years Jet stroller which can go to 50 lbs but also has a higher back.
For those who judge, haste. You dont know the situation. For example my brother has some special needs (although not visable) and cannot handle the crowds. His stamina has absolutely nothing to do with his need for a stroller(he too is very active swimming and dancing competitively 6 hours a week)- but this was his safe space while on our trip. Thankfully we did not get any comments (I think in part because he looks younger than he is, could easily pass for 4) while he was in the stroller - I personally think the vast majority of people on their own family vacations could care less. The only comment and a couple of stares was when we were using the GAC card for him but really WHO CARES! I dont know them, they dont know me so.... :snooty: For us personally the stroller worked for us and if you think this would make your kiddos have a better time GO FOR IT. I think that having a single stroller and trading off would work fine and I am sure both of your kids will want to be on rides most of the time :) I know this is a discussion board and people have the right to their own opinions... that is the point of discussions but I have seen too many times it get snarky and sometimes mean. I would encourage the bullies on the board (not to say I have seen any in this thread) to take a second and think before they speak. You dont know the OP, their circumstance or anything about them so who are you to judge. Phew... there lol.

I was at Disney once and saw on obese woman in and ECV breastfeeding a 10 year old in a stroller while holding a turkey leg in one hand and texting on the other after she cut in line to "catch up" to her family. Did I cover all the hot topics?:woohoo:

Why are turkey legs a HT? I'm pretty sure DH will want a turkey leg when we get there.

And the 14 year old on a leash is a picky eater!

Then at the end of the day they all got into the bus line and the ECV lady and her family got to get on the bus first in front of everybody else who'd been waiting and the 14 year old son who looked perfectly able bodied, but may have had a hidden disability, just sat there and did not give up his seat to the pregnant lady with twelve kids because she should have waited for the next bus.

I am so sorry people are judging you for such a simple question. My DD, who will be 8 when we go, loves to share stroller time with her DB, who will be 5. We are also considering renting a double for the 10 days we are there. Only you know your children and you be the judge. We went for 3 days last time and I was tired of the stroller fighting by the end of day 1! I think going to Babies r us and testing the different ones is a fabulous idea. Also, I'm knew to this Forum and I cannot believe how judgmental people can be. Lets remember its the "Happiest Place on Earth people!

Out of curiosity, where is everyone's line in the sand on stroller use for healthy kids? (not kids who are sick, injured, or have a disability)

I will say my line in the sand is 4 years old. After 4 I think that children are capable of walking. I see a lot of people on here who think that 8 isn't too old, which, personally I find ridiculous. So where is the cut off? 9? 10? Older? Is there a cut off? ...and why is that your cut off?

Is it an age, or when the child no longer physically fits in the stroller?

Or is it when the parent is physically unable to push the stroller?

Out of curiosity, where is everyone's line in the sand on stroller use for healthy kids? (not kids who are sick, injured, or have a disability)

I will say my line in the sand is 4 years old. After 4 I think that children are capable of walking. I see a lot of people on here who think that 8 isn't too old, which, personally I find ridiculous. So where is the cut off? 9? 10? Older? Is there a cut off? ...and why is that your cut off?

For me it was 5yo (kindergarten). The summer before Kindergarten (At 5yo) I still brought the stroller (albeit I thought he was a too old for it...but brought it "in case").... he used it once for about 2 minutes...and looked around and hopped out and told me he didn't want it anymore (I think he was embarrased...not sure?). He MADE us leave it in the room after that... refused to get in it.:thumbsup2

If he's tired now (at 7)... we rest. Not much more to it.

I agree with you we never used one past 4. and the yr my DD was 4 we really didn't need it, I don't think she was in it most of the time.

So I would say kids 5 and up don't need one.

For my kids, 4 will be the cut off point. My littles will be almost 3 and just turned 4 when we go to Disney. We're renting a double stroller but I'm not really sure how much the kids will be in it. I expect they will be in it about 50% of the time, but once we get there, they might decide that walking and checking things out is more to their liking.

The only line I have drawn around me starts right where my rights begin... don't cross it.

As for someone choosing to allow an older child to ride in a stroller while on vacation... it doesn't cross that line, it doesn't infringe on my rights.

Your kid - your family - your vacation - your $$$ = your decision. None of my business.

It's not likely that I'll even notice, but if I do, I won't give a second thought as to your child being disabled, lazy, spoiled, tired, scared or clowning around. I'm not worried about your family dynamics or long terms effects. I don't expect you to raise your daughter like Laura Ingalls, and I truly have no idea if the current candidates rode in a stroller past infancy. So if at age 35, your child decides to run for president, I'll judge his competency based on his adult actions and decisions.

I won't insist there is only one right way of doing things, or that what's right for me and mine, is what's right for you and yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!