Spending at Disney increasing

The big difference IMO for the onsite Disney properties is Magical Express and Disney transportation. For someone who can't/doesn't want to drive around WDW or from the airport, the decision is made for them.

And I give Disney credit for that. I think it's great that as long as you can make it to your flight in your home city, everything else transportation-wise is taken care of for you. That is a huge benefit of WDW versus other destinations.
It's easy for me to say that those services aren't worth the onsite premium, but I have my husband who is wiling to be the rental car driver :drive:If it was just me traveling, or if for some reason he couldn't do the driving, then the whole value equation changes.

So $189 at the Waldorf Astoria is comparable to $300+ a night at the Beach club?

For example just doing a quick search One Night at the Beach Club October 1st to the 2nd $434. Same day for the Dolphin... $225....

$179 for that night plus the $30 resort fee would be $209 still cheaper than beach club. Is location and buses worth $200? To me it's not

So who in their right mind would stay at BC?

I agree, and that's why WDW has kept so many choices for different budgets IMO.

WDW is offering discounts for families of 4, 4 nights, 4 park passes-so I am assuming that is a common market.

Using rough rack rate numbers it appears a deluxe stay in 2005 was about the same price as a moderate stay today 11 years later for a family of 4, 4 nights and 4 park days. Yea that's a category lower but it's far from saying that family can no longer afford to go.

I did notice the same stay but dropping from a mod in 2005 to a value in 2015 did increase about $200 for the entire trip, which is about $20 a year for the whole family.

Head to head is indeed harder to swallow. Value went up about $50 each year or is flat out $600 more now, a mod stay for 4 went up about $700 and a deluxe went up a bit over $1,000.

So a Value vacation has gone up about 1 family movie night per year in 11 years.

Time of year can save even more, or cost even more of course.

I wish that we had hard figures but we don't so all we can really do is guess. And hopefully throw in a bit of logic. ;)

I would love to know if the common WDW visitor might be shifting gradually from onsite to offsite. Disney is apparently experiencing good numbers at their resorts but are these middle income Americans? A lot of them might be foreign visitors many of whom still get good deals as far as I know. Have those numbers changed at all? Disney wouldn't care but it could be a sign of a shift.

We have changed from primarily onsite to primarily offsite. It saves us money. We also dine offsite more. This also saves us money. We don't bother much with souvenirs. This not only saves us money but keeps us from spending time looking at way too much generic, poorly made merchandise.

I don't think that we're oddballs but imagine that many regular visitors might be much like us. Those once in a lifetime visitors might see things differently though. If someone only plans to visit once then why not go all out?

Not sure what your point is?

No offense, but if everyone did what you do, they would close all resorts, all shops and most dining-I'm assuming all fine dining would close. Which of course wouldn't matter to you, I do get that. Just not sure that is the best scenario.

I think it's great there are those options for you and others and myself-just glad others fill in the areas that are being utilized/expanded etc.

Actually that's what I like about WDW-so many ways to tour yet expand areas/offerings even if some are splurges.

I have many points but the primary one is that people such as myself might not avoid going but we can cut back on what we spend a lot which can also affect the bottom line. There are those that hold up attendance as proof that all is well but who's to say that others like us haven't made changes?

I doubt that they would close anything but they might be motivated to compete a bit more. I find that most of Disney's food is mediocre and overpriced. Maybe that would change? I think that their resorts are also overpriced and I say that as someone who adores a few of them.

I'm not going to spend money just to make Disney happy plus I believe that they would make sure that they made corrections if their income dropped too far.

As for splurges, we do those. We just pick and choose what we feel is worthwhile.

My point was even if there is a "sign of a shift", why would it matter? And which way should the shift go?

I have many points as well.

WDW has kept a very wide array of pricing options. If $5 subs and $9 cheeseburger baskets aren't good enough for folks, they can go offsite or pay more onsite. How is that a bad thing or putting anyone down?

If the same vacation from 2005 costs the same 11 years later, but one category resort lower-it's still as affordable as 11 years ago, and there has been some expansion since then as well.

If repeat visitors don't want/need any more souvenirs, then souvenir stores are no longer needed, unless the "shift" brings in guests that do want the souvenirs, the dining, the fine dining, the hard ticket events, the golf, even the HP visits, the deluxe resorts everyone claims are empty so why wouldn't they want to fill them, the expansions and other improvements like the hub. I prefer those guests have money to spend and higher expectations/demands. A shift does not mean the "value" and "moderate", even offsite (or local) guest is no longer catered to, it's just a shift to the deluxe percentage of the guest population on one end of the very large scale.

It's like what is the percentages of guest population that is ideal? There is no way WDW will ever be or could ever be 90% affluent spenders. But if that group was at 10%, I have no problem increasing it to 25% for example. Likewise-I don't think trending to 90% Value sounds that great either. And it could all be "in addition" to the current base if it's expansion in DVC and even the offsite real deluxe hotels going up. To "shift" further to the value end makes no sense to me, not at all because I don't want everybody in the world to be able to afford it-just that's not realistic on a place that popular. And the "affluent" bring/demand more expectations, expansions and offerings-dumping larger amounts of money into the pool.

It's far from pointing at somebody and saying it's funny you can't afford it or choose not to afford it. Its more pointing at the new crowd in a favorable light IMO.

An affluent spender is more likely to have less park impact IMO as well. They are already spoiled and have less patience again IMO. The have the money to day visit other FL attractions as well, golf, fish, beaches, US/IOA, swim with the dolphins etc. More likely to schedule/use FP+ then head to fine dining and drinks for the evening.

Getting their money's worth is not that same as somebody that scraped together for a year or 3 or 5 and goes commando.

But there is also a subset of more middle class, even lower middle class that do want to splurge on occasion-if even on just one event. Things like a split stay of Value or even offsite with a deluxe resort, or a few nights on a DVC points rental (maybe not the bungalows, but a BLT theme park view, a BWV BW view and I suspect a WL cabin will be on some minds) or purchase, resale or new options are out there.

Some want a MNSSHP or MVMCP ticket maybe even just one time. Dessert party? Makes no sense to me but who knows. Fantasmic dinner package-yea maybe. F&W new offerings maybe, EPCOT after hours probably, AK personal safari maybe, behind the scenes tours?

These things aren't complete budget busters on their own, but are nice to have available IMO. How does it hurt anyone if they choose not to do it?

Last edited:

Seriously guys. For room and board, look at any decent hotel room in any city. Disney's price point is pretty spot on.

Trust me, I have had to pay $139 a night for a Stoney Creek room in Des Moines on more than one occasion for work (as just one example). That's nowhere near the value of a Disney room.

We had a death in the family earlier this month and I had to travel to the funeral in Shelbyville, KY. Where you ask? Exactly I say! The cheapest chain hotel room I could find was $121.00 per night before taxes and fees. Trust me when I tell you there is nothing worth $121.00 per night in Shelbyville, KY. On the contrary I have 4 nights at All Star Sports over Labor Day for under $100 a night after tax etc.

Everything Disney has done lately and continues to do right now is not geared at the middle class. $2,000 a night bungalows at the poly, cabins coming to WL, dessert parties inside of hard ticket events, the new hard ticket add ones to food and wine, etc. these things are not things that most families of four or more can spend money on. If Disney was building value resorts and adding more experiences into your regular park ticket and not hard ticket add ons this would be a different story.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but in response to this. IMO to this and other threads like this here, I think Disney isn't pricing out the middle class, but tapping a market they have not fully tapped. That being the ultra deluxe. There is only 20 bungalows and about the same, maybe a few more for WL. Those don't even add up to 1% of 1% of the people coming and staying onsite, let alone offsite. The addition to the extra experiences are like the Rouge VIP at the Cirque shows. Everyone can see the show, but only a few get the experience behind.
I see the Dis execs just trying to get that other market. They have the value and mods and will have them filled up majority of the time. But the ultra market is unique niche.
We moved up from the mods to DVC because we saw the value in that. We are very much in the lower middle class, so to go every year we adjusted. DVC actually saves us money, in the long run. We now drive instead of fly, and we always did breakfast in the room. We can now just have full breakfast before we were having oatmeal or bagels, now we have the kitchen.
The ticket price everyone complains about, I don't see an issue. Uni broke the $100 mark and not even close to the backlash that Disney gets, plus there is no such thing as free FP at UNI, try justifying paying for that.

We had a death in the family earlier this month and I had to travel to the funeral in Shelbyville, KY. Where you ask? Exactly I say! The cheapest chain hotel room I could find was $121.00 per night before taxes and fees. Trust me when I tell you there is nothing worth $121.00 per night in Shelbyville, KY. On the contrary I have 4 nights at All Star Sports over Labor Day for under $100 a night after tax etc.

First up...sorry for you loss. :(

But second, and on topic, last minute bookings are always going to cost you more, and I'm not sure they are comparable.

By way of comparison, for the first week in Oct, in Shelbyville, KY...average price per night, over all offerings, is $104/night for that week. And there are PLENTY (25+) of options at sub $100 per night, and even a few at or below $50 a night. The most expensive room is $191 a night (Mariott), which is a 4 star offering.

The values definitely compare better, depending on season and discounts available. The mods are a bit high, but still compare relatively well. The deluxes are where the imbalances start to really become noticeable.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but in response to this. IMO to this and other threads like this here, I think Disney isn't pricing out the middle class, but tapping a market they have not fully tapped. That being the ultra deluxe. There is only 20 bungalows and about the same, maybe a few more for WL. Those don't even add up to 1% of 1% of the people coming and staying onsite, let alone offsite. The addition to the extra experiences are like the Rouge VIP at the Cirque shows. Everyone can see the show, but only a few get the experience behind.
I see the Dis execs just trying to get that other market. They have the value and mods and will have them filled up majority of the time. But the ultra market is unique niche.
We moved up from the mods to DVC because we saw the value in that. We are very much in the lower middle class, so to go every year we adjusted. DVC actually saves us money, in the long run. We now drive instead of fly, and we always did breakfast in the room. We can now just have full breakfast before we were having oatmeal or bagels, now we have the kitchen.
The ticket price everyone complains about, I don't see an issue. Uni broke the $100 mark and not even close to the backlash that Disney gets, plus there is no such thing as free FP at UNI, try justifying paying for that.
27 I believe for WL. I also age with you for the most party but of course not everyone is like you. Like I said before I think is more about value than affordability.

I don't see an issue. Uni broke the $100 mark and not even close to the backlash that Disney gets, plus there is no such thing as free FP at UNI, try justifying paying for that.

Absolutely true....but if you stay on site, you get unlimited Express Pass which, if you're being honest, is a heck of a lot better perk than 3 scheduled FP+ at 60+10.

We can debate the value of FP+ vs the PAY version of Express pass...but there's not debating that the Uni version that comes with their mod/deluxe resort stay is better.

Edit: To be clear...Disney has OTHER perks that compare well, or are better (DME is the big one, for many people). But on that one, they are clearly behind. I understand WHY (Disney could never manage to keep lines manageable and do that), but it's still worth noting.

Agree 100%

Oh and 1 express ticket for one park (once on about 8 rides and NO HP headliners included) was $149 per person XMAS week.

Absolutely true....but if you stay on site, you get unlimited Express Pass which, if you're being honest, is a heck of a lot better perk than 3 scheduled FP+ at 60+10.

We can debate the value of FP+ vs the PAY version of Express pass...but there's not debating that the Uni version that comes with their mod/deluxe resort stay is better.

Edit: To be clear...Disney has OTHER perks that compare well, or are better (DME is the big one, for many people). But on that one, they are clearly behind. I understand WHY (Disney could never manage to keep lines manageable and do that), but it's still worth noting.

Theres also no debate WDW can integrate additional FP+ with resort stays if they choose. Or not offer any to certain guests like UNI does.

Agree 100%

Oh and 1 express ticket for one park (about 8 rides and HP headliners included) was $149 per person XMAS week.

And most of the rest of the year, it's about 1/3 to 1/2 that price.

Out of curiosity...any idea what Disney's room rates vs Unis were, same time of year?

Theres also no debate WDW can integrate additional FP+ with resort stays if they choose. Or not offer any to certain guests like UNI does.

Well, we can play "what if" in lots of different ways that will paint either side into fictitiously unflattering positions.

But, the fact is: We have what we have.

Disney doesn't do that. Hasn't shown any signs of doing it. And isn't rumored to be doing it any time soon.

If they do, we can re-evaluate at that point.

I just looked at rooms for Value resorts in October this year. $92 a nite. Mods are $139 and up.

Animation hits the high end of Value. Probably due to demand. It's all about demand. If it's there, the price goes up.

First up...sorry for you loss. :(

But second, and on topic, last minute bookings are always going to cost you more, and I'm not sure they are comparable.

By way of comparison, for the first week in Oct, in Shelbyville, KY...average price per night, over all offerings, is $104/night for that week. And there are PLENTY (25+) of options at sub $100 per night, and even a few at or below $50 a night. The most expensive room is $191 a night (Mariott), which is a 4 star offering.

The values definitely compare better, depending on season and discounts available. The mods are a bit high, but still compare relatively well. The deluxes are where the imbalances start to really become noticeable.

After living there for the first 17+ years of my life I knew what hotels to ignore for safety's sake but I am sure timing had some impact :).

ETA FWIW, there isn't a Mariott in Shelbyville. I'm sure widening the search to include Louisville and Lexington would have yielded far more results.

I just looked at rooms for Value resorts in October this year. $92 a nite. Mods are $139 and up.

Animation hits the high end of Value. Probably due to demand. It's all about demand. If it's there, the price goes up.

In the surrounding Orlando area, you can find 2 star hotels for around $30 a night, with most sub $75 a night, for that first week in October.

3 star hotels start around $40 a night, and most are under $130 a night.

Average room rate across all categories is $127 a night.

As I've said, before, the values and mods definitely compare better.

And most of the rest of the year, it's about 1/3 to 1/2 that price.

Out of curiosity...any idea what Disney's room rates vs Unis were, same time of year?

Have stayed at US many times, it's not the price for us-it's the environment. Coming back for 3 FP+ and evening shows after a day at US also is one reason we will no longer stay there. Plus DVC portions of the stays make it unfair to price really.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter