Space Mtn & Soarin' Over CA down for refurb 5/28!

I think you have that backwards...Soarin' is the ride that is indeed closed.

That is really good news. Hopefully someone who is in the parks AND has gone on the ride can confirm this is taking place. No wait times have been reported on Touring Plans as of yet, but they are now showing it open and CS offline.

As of today, the following Disneyland attractions are closed: Roger Rabbitt Cartoon Spin, Space Mt., Big Thunder (already scheduled thru Oct.), Davy Crocket Canoes, Moments with Lincoln,

At California Adventure Park: California Sreamin, Soarin, Goofy's Sky School,

Very little communication coming out of Disney at this point. This would not be a good time to be visiting the parks.
I'm curious where you are getting your info? A friend just posted she and her son just rode Goofy's and said at 11am, that Soarin was up.

As for DL, BTMRR was a planned closure, Canoes don't run on weekdays, and Lincoln was a planned closure.

As far as rides in ToonTown, it only opened an hour ago. So, did you pass by and see it closed?

I have been reading about this topic for days as we head down in 2 weeks. Originally I was pretty disappointed and frustrated but then I reflected on past trips and anyone that's been to Disney can attest, rides are down ALL the time regardless of what refurbs are posted. I can't tell you how many time Goofy's Sky School has been down. Splash mountain is the same..... I could go on and on. But you know what, while I was disappointed at the time, it's never wrecked our trip. Too many other things to enjoy!

I completely agree - that day to day stuff is normal - it is the fact they had to be threatened with a quarter of a million dollars in fines before they did something about employee safety - or at least is how it appears. I know they are saying this is all being done voluntarily but it's quite convenient timing.

I should have also commented above that although there are some rides affected by the OSH report, many of the other closures may likely be nothing more than a coincidence. People just notice it more given whats been happening.

Both Touring Plans and Mousewait are showing wait times for Soarin' currently.

Anything mechanical that runs 8-10 hrs a day non stop WILL break down even with the best PM program in place. Little things such as a .35 bearing can cause a breakdown/shutdown.

Hence, the refurb of BTMRR happening right now. I would bet you they are replacing/restoring ALL critical components so the attraction can run flawless with little to no downtime when it comes back up.

Yes, some of the closures can be unrelated. When we were down there last week, one of the two screens for Soarin was down due to someone losing their lunch.

Screaming was also down one of the days and people had to be evacuated so it's possible the closure now could be due to that.

This is on the front page of micechat.com

April 19, 2013: Cal/OSHA closes California Screamin’ Thursday brought good news and bad news for Disneyland's ride closure saga. First the good news; DOSH inspectors arrived at Soarin' on Thursday morning and blessed the temporary fall protection proposals for maintenance workers, and Soarin' should be reopening within days. The bad news; Space Mountain's fixes will take much longer, and April visitors shouldn't count on Space Mountain being open. More bad news, after the DOSH inspectors finished at Soarin' they paid a surprise visit to California Screamin' and demanded to look at several elevated evacuation platforms throughout the track. California Screamin' was shut down suddenly by DOSH at 1:45 P.M. on Thursday afternoon and was kept closed for the rest of Thursday per the inspectors findings. DCA's managers scrambled to rewrite evacuation and maintenance procedures for the big coaster on Thursday night, and then train those new procedures to all CM's for a hopeful reopening on Friday.

This is on the front page of micechat.com

April 19, 2013: Cal/OSHA closes California Screamin’ Thursday brought good news and bad news for Disneyland's ride closure saga. First the good news; DOSH inspectors arrived at Soarin' on Thursday morning and blessed the temporary fall protection proposals for maintenance workers, and Soarin' should be reopening within days. The bad news; Space Mountain's fixes will take much longer, and April visitors shouldn't count on Space Mountain being open. More bad news, after the DOSH inspectors finished at Soarin' they paid a surprise visit to California Screamin' and demanded to look at several elevated evacuation platforms throughout the track. California Screamin' was shut down suddenly by DOSH at 1:45 P.M. on Thursday afternoon and was kept closed for the rest of Thursday per the inspectors findings. DCA's managers scrambled to rewrite evacuation and maintenance procedures for the big coaster on Thursday night, and then train those new procedures to all CM's for a hopeful reopening on Friday.

Thanks very much for this update.

The latest from inside the parks: Mickey's Fun Wheel and Radiator Springs Racers are closed. This is in addition to California Screamin!

The good news (at least for now) is that Soarin has been reopened. This really is starting to look and feel like a haphazard approach from Disney to inspect its attractions.

Space Mt. remains closed across the street at Disneyland Park........though Roger Rabbitt has reopened (at least for now).

Ok everyone, hands up and repeat after me:

"I will never, ever again bandwagon on a comment thread about how bad WDW ride maintenance is compared to DLR ride maintenance."

This ongoing saga has really tarnished some of the shine off of my longstanding warm feelings about Disneyland, you know? :confused3

Ok everyone, hands up and repeat after me:

"I will never, ever again bandwagon on a comment thread about how bad WDW ride maintenance is compared to DLR ride maintenance."

This ongoing saga has really tarnished some of the shine off of my longstanding warm feelings about Disneyland, you know? :confused3

Ride maintenance and safety apparatus / procedures are two totally different things. These closures are not due to a lack of maintenance.

Ride maintenance and safety apparatus / procedures are two totally different things. These closures are not due to a lack of maintenance.

Not necessarily. DLR choosing not to apply the changess requested by Cal/OSHA in November to me is a lack of maintenance, just not regarding show maintenance. Either way, to me it just signals a laissez faire attitude, and they're usually not confined to one responsibility area.

Space Mt. remains closed across the street at Disneyland Park........though Roger Rabbitt has reopened (at least for now).
You've been reporting rides as down when they simply haven't opened (examples- RRTTS which doesn't open until an hour after park opening, Canoes which don't run Mon-Fri in non peak months) or when they were a planned for months closure (Lincoln...)

Not necessarily. DLR choosing not to apply the changess requested by Cal/OSHA in November to me is a lack of maintenance, just not regarding show maintenance. Either way, to me it just signals a laissez faire attitude, and they're usually not confined to one responsibility area.

Or to put it another way, Disney has not maintained their rides to the current OSHA guidelines. OSHA's guidelines are very easily accessible and companies are expected to always be within these guidelines. OSHA doesn't have an In N Out secret menu that they fine companies off of.

The latest from inside the parks: Mickey's Fun Wheel and Radiator Springs Racers are closed. This is in addition to California Screamin!

The good news (at least for now) is that Soarin has been reopened. This really is starting to look and feel like a haphazard approach from Disney to inspect its attractions.

Do you have information that the RSR and Fun Wheel closures are related to the OSHA closures? Rides go down or are taken down all the time for various reasons....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Over the past few days, I have been reading every thread regarding closures. I have refrained from comment, but I just can't hold back anymore as some facts just need to be clarified. Again, just the facts:

Inexplicably, Space Mt. and Soarin are closed again today...........after being open at the beginning of the day and experiencing rather mild (even for this time of year) wait times.
I was in the Park yesterday for several hours. Space Mountain was never open. At all. There are not even enough CMs scheduled to open the attraction, according to the CM at the "We're closed" (my paraphrase) sign. Space Mountain has not been open since the initial closure a few days ago.

Apparently Disney is bracing themselves for another round of OSHA communications. This afternoon, Disney has closed California Screamin' and Goofy's Sky School at the California Adventure Park AND Indiana Jones and the Columbia Ship as well as the Davy Crockett canoes (OSHA may have found a leak in one of them) in the Disneyland Park.

Something strange is happening today indeed. I am hoping these closures are just for a few hours as Disney may just be taking some precautions. Supposedly (alleged but unverified) Disney is meeting with OSHA next week - which will set the timeframe for the number and length of closures going forward.
It was extremely windy in the Park yesterday. I know that sometimes when it is windy various aspects of the river, including the Columbia, close. Also, I'm not at the Park today, but according to every app I have (4) Goofy's Sky School is open today so perhaps yesterday was nothing significant?

So Goofy's Sky School is back up, but now Golden Zephyr is down, Indy is back up, of course California Screamin is still down - it seems like Disney is making like a disorganized housewife trying to do a quick scrub of all her toilets as she just found out her in-laws are arriving? :duck:

They are looking pretty pathetic, sorry! :sick:
Golden Zephyr was closed due to the parade. Scheduled, daily closure. Nothing pathetic there. Normal operating procedure.

As of today, the following Disneyland attractions are closed: Roger Rabbitt Cartoon Spin, Space Mt., Big Thunder (already scheduled thru Oct.), Davy Crocket Canoes, Moments with Lincoln....

Very little communication coming out of Disney at this point. This would not be a good time to be visiting the parks.

Big Thunder - scheduled closure (as noted)

Davy Crocket Canoes - closed on weekdays in the off season; does not open until later than the rest of the Park when they are open; also could close due to strong wind

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - scheduled closure as part of the moving of Disneyana into the Gallery area in preparation for Starbucks arrival

Space Mountain - closed for safety improvements as publicly known at this point

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin does not open until later than the rest of the park. What time did you notice it was closed? Perhaps it just had not opened yet?

Four of the five above listed are not surprises at all today. Possibly all five depending upon the time regarding RRCS.

- Dreams

I'm here now rode Soarin this morning and just got off Ca Screaming. Both opening and running!

Dreams, just so you know, I was not saying it was pathetic about closing one ride, rides close on and off all day long, I get that, but it is this entire process - only taking action after hefty fines and now leaving people to speculate needlessly because they will not officially provide answers to concerned guests.

I stand by that comment - whether you agree or not.

You seem to be the defender of Disney at all cost. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter