• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So I got an anonymous letter yesterday...

What is funny about the situation?
It is not funny at all Allison, the humor was not intended towards what was happening in the post. In retrospect, I should not have bumped it. I did NOT intend to bring up something hurtful and that is what I have potentially done.

I posted on the "zombie thread" thread and then saw this post at the bottom of my screen and thought that was funny that all of these old threads are popping up.

I think I have figured it out why I am seeing "cheating" threads. I have visited survivinginfidelity.com multiple times. I have 3 very good friends with husbands that have gone off the deep end and I am looking for help on how to help them. What to say and what not to say... So, now the DIS is reading my cookies and put up things it thinks I want to read.

I was very interested in this thread b/c it sounded like the OP was going to be able to expose whoever wrote the note.

It seems to have worked out. As of a few months ago (Nov) she was still posting and was asking about pre-boarding with her husband who is retired military.
I wish them the best. There is a lot of personal stuff in this thread that is best left to history.
I understand the thread bump wasn't intentionally unkind, but is there a chance this thread could be closed?

I do think these old threads really prove the adage that once you put something out on the Internet, it's there forever. I personally really like the dis and the kind community that genuinely seems to try and help people struggling with a problem, but I personally really think twice about what I say and put out there. These posts are displayed in the bottom (I've seen this one and 2 others on older divorces for weeks) and they pop up when you google the dis boards and certain topics (even ones that seem really unrelated).

I don't think people are trying to be cruel in opening these. Once you put it out there on an Internet message board it's kind of fair game for interested and curious readers.

At the bottom of the page there are suggested threads. I think PP was saying this thread showed due to her looking up similar subjects on the net. She clicked it, thus opening and bumping the thread.

At the bottom of the page there are suggested threads. I think PP was saying this thread showed due to her looking up similar subjects on the net. She clicked it, thus opening and bumping the thread.
Clicking on a thread doesn't bump it. You have to click and post on a thread in order to bump it up.
It's no different for the "suggested" threads than it is for any other thread here.

Last edited:

It doesn't get bumped until you COMMENT on it. She could have just read it and realized it was old and left it alone. Then it would stay "dead".

OOOO A Zombie thread.
4 out of 10 zombies surveyed said eat his brains out.
3 out of 10 zombies said eat the guy that sent the letter's brains out
2 out of 10 zombies said eat both of their brains out.
1 zombie said he'd like to eat our brains out, so we hightailed it out of there and ended the survey.

I saw this thread about a month ago at the bottom of the screen and read thought it. I realized it was a zombie thread so didn't post in it.

Sad situation.

Clicking on a thread doesn't bump it. You have to click and post on a thread in order to bump it up.
It's no different for the "suggested" threads than it is for any other thread here.

It doesn't get bumped until you COMMENT on it. She could have just read it and realized it was old and left it alone. Then it would stay "dead".

I know I for one did not realize that the posts that are showing up on the bottom of the screen to select are old "zombie threads". I think many of us DISers are selecting them and reading and possibly even posting on them without ever realizing how old they are. I wonder if the DIS managers could figure out a way to modify the screen on the bottom to just limit itself to posts started within the few months. That way, the posts would be more current.

Again, zombie posts like these are really TRUE life reminders that you should always be conscious of how much you are putting out there on the internet for others to see and read. Old posts never die, they live on for eternity!

LOL

Zombie alert! This is over 10 years old but maybe BabyTigger99 will give us an update....hehehe.

What on earth is wrong with you? Laughing about a possible infidelity, or about someone who was out to hurt the OP and her husband? How about this...you delete the lol and hehehe, and I'll delete my post.

What on earth is wrong with you? Laughing about a possible infidelity, or about someone who was out to hurt the OP and her husband? How about this...you delete the lol and hehehe, and I'll delete my post.

I took it as the "zombie thread resurrecturer" was laughing at the age of the post that popped up, not on the information posted.
No need to get your panties in a twist.

That's not how I read it.

The thread is a decade past. Things have long since been resolved, one way or another. The amusement was aimed at the age of the post and the ridiculousness of it popping up at the bottom of the page, not the situation that inspired it in the first place.

As HannaBelle said at the top of this VERY same page: "...the humor was not intended towards what was happening in the post. In retrospect, I should not have bumped it. I did NOT intend to bring up something hurtful and that is what I have potentially done."

Is that not good enough for you? Or did you just want to bump the thread to the top of the page again? (It's a fascinating read, all five pages, so I don't really mind if that was indeed your true motive for posting in it.)

That's not how I read it.
The thread is a decade past. Things have long since been resolved, one way or another. The amusement was aimed at the age of the post and the ridiculousness of it popping up at the bottom of the page, not the situation that inspired it in the first place.
As HannaBelle said at the top of this VERY same page: "...the humor was not intended towards what was happening in the post. In retrospect, I should not have bumped it. I did NOT intend to bring up something hurtful and that is what I have potentially done."
Is that not good enough for you? Or did you just want to bump the thread to the top of the page again? (It's a fascinating read, all five pages, so I don't really mind if that was indeed your true motive for posting in it.)

Wow.

As for the one who bumped, whether the laughter was aimed at the date or the circumstances, it was in incredibly poor taste. And don't worry, I won't be bumping this thread again, no matter what insults you decide to throw my way.

Wow.

As for the one who bumped, whether the laughter was aimed at the date or the circumstances, it was in incredibly poor taste. And don't worry, I won't be bumping this thread again, no matter what insults you decide to throw my way.

That was not an insult. It was a question, based on the fact that you either missed the previous poster's apology or chose to ignore it and attack her anyway. You're free to respond, "Why, no! That was not my intention at all." And I would go, "Okay!"

You may have felt personally insulted that I would ask such an impertinent question, but I don't know you or your motives. So, I ask!

I also think your husband is protesting too much. If there is nothing to be worried about why don't you both just shrug it off as a hoax and ignore it?
I hate to say it but I agree. In my view if he had nothing to hide then he wouldn't be reacting so strongly. OP, I would at least be on guard a little and play my cards close to my chest.

It is a good thing to trust him, but also a good thing to verify :) And not in a way that lands you in the unemployment line or in jail.

There is a reason you got that letter. It may be nothing, but it may be someone trying to do you a solid by letting you know anonymously what your DH is up to.

Oops - just saw this was an ancient thread. This is one of those threads that really isn't likely relevant 11 years later!

LOL

Zombie alert! This is over 10 years old but maybe BabyTigger99 will give us an update....hehehe.
actually when I saw this Bump UP I searched the OP,,,Hanna - YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME BEFORE BUMPING
she posted last Fall & her DH has many issues related to his Military service-very sad
(hugs) to her

I know I for one did not realize that the posts that are showing up on the bottom of the screen to select are old "zombie threads". I think many of us DISers are selecting them and reading and possibly even posting on them without ever realizing how old they are. I wonder if the DIS managers could figure out a way to modify the screen on the bottom to just limit itself to posts started within the few months. That way, the posts would be more current.

Again, zombie posts like these are really TRUE life reminders that you should always be conscious of how much you are putting out there on the internet for others to see and read. Old posts never die, they live on for eternity!

Or you could install and adblocker...and never see them again.
These are generated by googleads

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter