Sick kid upon boarding and no trip insurance..will disney give you park/hotel passes?

Happy100

DIS Veteran
Ok just in case my son gets sick and we don't find out till we are denied boarding....will disney do anything to try to compensate(park and hotel passes)...and no i do not plan on getting trip insurance...yet at least???:confused3

I wouldn't think so, why would they? :confused3

It's up to you to take out trip insurance to cover you and your family. I would never travel with out being insured!

Also, why would your son get sick? Has he got a pre-existing medical condition? Or are you talking about general sickness, which if your son got then I'm sure Disney wouldn't deny you boarding.

Probably not. They certainly are not obligated too. Do you expect him to get sick?

BTW, I :love: travel insurance. Even baggage or airline delays make trips yucky sometimes and TI can compensate for those things.

Huh. I didn't know they could deny boarding if you're sick. Like flu sick? Seriously? Does this happen often?

We do have trip insurance. But I really have no clue how it works. If one person in our family cannot sail, does the trip insurance kick in for all of us? I mean, they can't deny boarding for my daughter and expect DH & I to sail without her....right?

Huh. I didn't know they could deny boarding if you're sick. Like flu sick? Seriously? Does this happen often?

We do have trip insurance. But I really have no clue how it works. If one person in our family cannot sail, does the trip insurance kick in for all of us? I mean, they can't deny boarding for my daughter and expect DH & I to sail without her....right?

They sure can. If you even appear sick they can deny you boarding. Most likely, your trip insurance would then cover the entire party. But you should double check with your provider.

Ok just in case my son gets sick and we don't find out till we are denied boarding....will disney do anything to try to compensate(park and hotel passes)...and no i do not plan on getting trip insurance...yet at least???:confused3

A) Don't count on Disney doing anything to comp for denied boarding - there's nothing in your cruise contract that obliges them to do anything;

B) Trip insurance will cost you ~$350 for three people; not being able to board could cost you ~$5,000;

C) Get the insurance

D) Relax and enjoy your cruise

A) Don't count on Disney doing anything to comp for denied boarding - there's nothing in your cruise contract that obliges them to do anything;

B) Trip insurance will cost you ~$350 for three people; not being able to board could cost you ~$5,000;

C) Get the insurance

Wow your trip insurance costs a lot! Is that the norm for you guys in the states? For me and my GF is costs us about £50 ($75) for couples annual trip insurance!

Wow your trip insurance costs a lot! Is that the norm for you guys in the states? For me and my GF is costs us about £50 ($75) for couples annual trip insurance!

I only paid $60 for 4 of us for a 7 night cruise. I'm not sure why anyone would pay that much money. Go to squaremouth.com or insuremytrip.com to compare plans and prices.

I think it's possible they might deny boarding to someone who is obviously very ill with what might be a contagious disease. If the kid has a cold, there won't be a problem boarding, but if they're exhibiting full blown flu symptoms that might be different. Why anyone would try to take a really sick person onto a cruise ship in the first place is beyond me.

And it's up to you to insure your trip against that sort of thing - trip insurance ought to cover illness in your party that prevents your boarding. I don't think Disney is obligated to compensate you if you go uninsured and still decide to show up with a party member who is obviously too sick to board the ship (and if they did I'm not sure why they might give out park passes...)

C) Get the insurance

You can get travel ins cheaper with better coverage from outside vendors.

This site gives you side by side comparison for different plans based on what you put in the page.

I think it's possible they might deny boarding to someone who is obviously very ill with what might be a contagious disease. If the kid has a cold, there won't be a problem boarding, but if they're exhibiting full blown flu symptoms that might be different. Why anyone would take a really sick person onto a cruise ship in the first place is beyond me.

And it's up to you to insure your trip against that sort of thing - trip insurance ought to cover illness that prevents your boarding. I don't think Disney is obligated to compensate you if you decide to show up with a party member who is obviously too sick to board the ship (and if they did I'm not sure why they might give out park passes...)

Disney in the past has denied boarding based in what they perceive (key word)to be a serious communicable illness.There are some children that will exhibit full blown flu like syptoms, but they dont have the flu.There are some children, that have a tendency to get sick if they are over excited for one reason or another, and within a few hours it passes.I remeber seeing a thread about both within the last year, but Ill have to dig for them for the exact details.

My daughter for example, has a tendency to run a fever for 24 hours, then shes fine again.Shell be lethargic, and feel sick to her stomache for less then a day, but she not contagious in anyway shape or form.Her doctors know that.We know that.If that ever happened the day we leave I honestly dont know how DCL will react.

Here's the wording from the "Terms and Conditions" on DCL's website:

Refusal of Passage
Disney Cruise Line may refuse to transport or may disembark at any port any Guest who may be suffering from a contagious or infectious disease, ill health or whose presence in the opinion of the Master may be detrimental to the comfort or safety of other Guests or the crew, or who, in the Master's opinion, might be excluded from landing at destination by Immigration or other governmental authorities. In such cases the Guest shall not be entitled to any refund of fare or compensation whatsoever.

Sayhello

Thanks for the info.....

My thread is in reference to General sickness not preexisting. I asked this because we are traveling right after school gets under way and everyone knows children pick up everything. I of course wouldn't take my sick child on the ship knowingly. :scared1:

I have looked into trip insureance and on insuremytrip.com and i come back with a 150 quote for all of us. However I am not sure what to include in my total cost of the trip...do you include airline tickets, hotel booked night before cruise, car rental??? etc. Presently my quote is only for the cruise itself.:confused3

We will not be getting trip insurance. Basically Disney told us not to, because our cruise has no value (it was a DVC incentive). The only thing the trip insurance would cover would be medical evac. So I'm also a little worried about my kids getting sick. I read a thread about a child throwing up 3 days before her cruise (not for 3 days, just once 3 days before boarding) and was denied boarding. Both my kids are pretty healthy, so I'm probably worrying for nothing. My 5 year old has only gotten the stomach bug 2x in her life, oddly both on the same exact day my husband left to go on a business trip to TX. (months apart). So I think we'll be okay, but I still worry.

Thanks for the info.....

My thread is in reference to General sickness not preexisting. I asked this because we are traveling right after school gets under way and everyone knows children pick up everything. I of course wouldn't take my sick child on the ship knowingly. :scared1:

I have looked into trip insureance and on insuremytrip.com and i come back with a 150 quote for all of us. However I am not sure what to include in my total cost of the trip...do you include airline tickets, hotel booked night before cruise, car rental??? etc. Presently my quote is only for the cruise itself.:confused3

I'd get an "all inclusive" quote as well. If your flights are delayed or cancelled for any reason, you'd be on the hook for anything downstream that's not cancellable w/o penalty.

BTW, The insurance cost I quoted was DCL's trip insurance for three people on a seven-night eastern. You can do a lot better shopping around.

We will not be getting trip insurance. Basically Disney told us not to, because our cruise has no value (it was a DVC incentive). The only thing the trip insurance would cover would be medical evac. So I'm also a little worried about my kids getting sick. I read a thread about a child throwing up 3 days before her cruise (not for 3 days, just once 3 days before boarding) and was denied boarding. Both my kids are pretty healthy, so I'm probably worrying for nothing. My 5 year old has only gotten the stomach bug 2x in her life, oddly both on the same exact day my husband left to go on a business trip to TX. (months apart). So I think we'll be okay, but I still worry.

Unless Disney is going to guarantee to refund all of your DVC points, the cruise has what is called a "fair-market" value, and that should be recoupable to the fair market value of the same class of cabin booked on the same itinerary (you have to be made "whole" on the transaction). I'd check with my insurance carrier before taking DCL's word on anything related to insurance.

I think it is many parents (including myself) worst nightmare for a child to come down sick just before or during vacation. Unfortunately, it happens and Disney is not likely to compensate. I'm not 100% sure that travel inshurance completely covers it either (they tend to find loop holes). I'm a germ a phobe my nature, and I get really strict with the hand washing and avoiding sick people a week or two before vacation; I can only imagine how paranoid I'll be the week or two before we cruise since it seems that would suck even more to be sick on a cruise than a regular vacation. Hope you and your family stay well and enjoy the trip and I hope the same for my family and myself. Stay well!

I'd get an "all inclusive" quote as well. If your flights are delayed or cancelled for any reason, you'd be on the hook for anything downstream that's not cancellable w/o penalty.

BTW, The insurance cost I quoted was DCL's trip insurance for three people on a seven-night eastern. You can do a lot better shopping around.

My $150 quote is for 3 people and for seven days also. I was surprised it was this cheap. But as another poster stated will insurance cover a virus sickness or flu??? :confused3

You include everything that is non-refundable. Car Rentals aren't paid for in advance, so you don't need to cover that. Most hotel rooms can be canceled up until a few hours before you check in, so unless you got a rate that required you to pay in advance, you wouldn't cover that. Airline tickets should be covered (unless it's Southwest, who allow you to cancel your tickets and get a credit for the full amount). If you don't care about the *cost* of the tickets, still make sure the dates you are covering include your flying days, so that you'd be covered if you get delayed or something.

How would they know your child threw up 3 days before boarding unless you told them? If your child is healthy when you board, why would you say "But oh, she threw up 3 days ago..." Do they ask that kind of question when you board? (I don't have kids).

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter