Sick kid upon boarding and no trip insurance..will disney give you park/hotel passes?

As for trip insurance the only thing I really want it for is this exact scenario - that one of my family members gets sick and we can't board the cruise. It's something we have very little control over. I can self insure for everything else and am covered elsewhere for medical evac.

But looking at nearly every plan out there the max amount covered for trip cancellation is $1600? That seems to be the standard and is of course way less than the cost of our cruise for 5 ppl and 2 staterooms.

Am I missing something? Is the $1600 per person, perhaps? Still not enough though . . .

As for trip insurance the only thing I really want it for is this exact scenario - that one of my family members gets sick and we can't board the cruise. It's something we have very little control over. I can self insure for everything else and am covered elsewhere for medical evac.

But looking at nearly every plan out there the max amount covered for trip cancellation is $1600? That seems to be the standard and is of course way less than the cost of our cruise for 5 ppl and 2 staterooms.

Am I missing something? Is the $1600 per person, perhaps? Still not enough though . . .

You should call and talk to the insurers you're looking at. When we buy the insurance you simply add on the unchangeable nonrefundable aspects of your trip as you go. When it reaches a threshold then you pay more premium. I've never seen a policy that has a flat limit.

What are you putting in for the total trip cost? Are you putting in 8000.00? It should divide that equally among 5 people, which is 1600.00 pp. If you adjust the total trip cost up, the amount pp will go up too.

What are you putting in for the total trip cost? Are you putting in 8000.00? It should divide that equally among 5 people, which is 1600.00 pp. If you adjust the total trip cost up, the amount pp will go up too.
Ahhhhh . . . can't believe I didn't see this before! Yes my total was $8000.

You can get travel ins cheaper with better coverage from outside vendors.

This site gives you side by side comparison for different plans based on what you put in the page.
Travel insurance cost is determined by the cost of the trip AND ages of travelers. My dd 14 and myself 50ish are paying $54 for TI for a 4nt cruise. However, my 80ish parents are paying $224.

Travel insurance cost is determined by the cost of the trip AND ages of travelers. My dd 14 and myself 50ish are paying $54 for TI for a 4nt cruise. However, my 80ish parents are paying $224.

That's true, but from doing side by side comparisons with what DCL was offering vs some of the outside vendors, some of the outside vendors were cheaper for the same trip, ( I was looking for insurance for my family for a trip) with better coverage. There were some that were considerably more expensive than what DCL was offering.

Ok I must apologise as I post a reply and I only read the first page of comments so it is entirely possible someone has already picked that up.

If you pay with a credit card chances are you and your full party will already be covered for repatriation costs and illness. You may also in certain cases be covered for partial reimbursement of the trip depending on your bank and card level.

It is something most people do not know but you probably are already covered without knowing it. The best is to read the small print of your credit card and/or call your bank.

I am always amazed by the number of people who are over insured but I do have insurance experience so I know the tricks.

Unless Disney is going to guarantee to refund all of your DVC points, the cruise has what is called a "fair-market" value, and that should be recoupable to the fair market value of the same class of cabin booked on the same itinerary (you have to be made "whole" on the transaction). I'd check with my insurance carrier before taking DCL's word on anything related to insurance.

DVC does provide information on how to purchase insurance for a cruise booked with points. It would provide some value back but generally not a "fair-market" value. Essentially it reimburses the value of the annual dues for the number of points used, so currently around $5-$6 dollars per point, and you would have to minus the cost of the insurance from whatever you were reimbursed to come up with a true value. We have done a lot of cruises on points, the lowest value per point for a cruise that I have ever experienced was around $7 per point. I guess something is better than nothing, but the DVC trip insurance generally does not reimburse anything near a "Fair-Market" value, especially considering that those same points might have a value of upwards of $20 per point if used at a DVC resort or a minimum of around $12-$15 per point if the owner were to rent them out.

However, I think this is a incentive (free) cruise for purchasing an interest in DVC, and as such there would be no cost to the person cruising. They could potentially purchase travel insurance that would cover the other parts of their travel costs, flights etc. but if the cruise costs them nothing, there is nothing for insurance to reimburse to make them "whole" for the cruise itself.

Ok I must apologise as I post a reply and I only read the first page of comments so it is entirely possible someone has already picked that up.

If you pay with a credit card chances are you and your full party will already be covered for repatriation costs and illness. You may also in certain cases be covered for partial reimbursement of the trip depending on your bank and card level.

It is something most people do not know but you probably are already covered without knowing it. The best is to read the small print of your credit card and/or call your bank.

I am always amazed by the number of people who are over insured but I do have insurance experience so I know the tricks.
Can you provide more information about credit cards which include insurance coverage for "repatriation" as well as any that include coverage for evacuation? I believe Amex Platinum and Centurion have this coverage, as well as the Citi AAdvantage Executive. I have used the cancellation coverage provided by Chase Sapphire Preferred, but it would not have covered repatriation or evacuation.

I have also yet to find a credit card that includes a waiver of the pre-existing coverage exclusion. Another issue we have run into was the lack of coverage when traveling with a non-family member whose grandmother passed away. In your experience, is this commonly excluded? Thanks for your help. -- Suzanne

Thanks for your question ; you clearly are quite well informed already.
As you mentioned, all these cards mentioned cover cancellation, but for details about repatriation and medical cost in foreign countries you need to check the fine prints for each card. You can find comparatives online but sometimes it might get quite technical with exclusions. The best thing is to contact your bank or the insurance company covering through your card.

There are of course exclusions and you are generally covered for personal unforeseen events like a flight being cancelled, or sickness but unfortunately not for a relative passing away unless they are part of the trip.

If you require additional coverage for specific situation like the one you discribed, I would recommend checking with the same insurance covering for your card as they might offer just what you need and do not have you pay for unnecessary coverage.

The other spit ion is to negotiate a package with your current insurer and see if they can offer you a good deal.

Another tip is to evaluate the cost of local medical expenses which is generally the main thing you need a cover for when travelling. Sometimes it is very low and emergency situation will generally be covered by your card. If you require additional medical treatment check the normal cost of Heathcare in thxcountry you visit and potential coverage by your current medical insurance.

Remember : insurance work by layers and if you are already covered by your credit card, an additional insurance will only cover the remaining amount, so do not pay for something you don't need.

Thanks for your question ; you clearly are quite well informed already.
As you mentioned, all these cards mentioned cover cancellation, but for details about repatriation and medical cost in foreign countries you need to check the fine prints for each card. You can find comparatives online but sometimes it might get quite technical with exclusions. The best thing is to contact your bank or the insurance company covering through your card.

There are of course exclusions and you are generally covered for personal unforeseen events like a flight being cancelled, or sickness but unfortunately not for a relative passing away unless they are part of the trip.

If you require additional coverage for specific situation like the one you discribed, I would recommend checking with the same insurance covering for your card as they might offer just what you need and do not have you pay for unnecessary coverage.

The other spit ion is to negotiate a package with your current insurer and see if they can offer you a good deal.

Another tip is to evaluate the cost of local medical expenses which is generally the main thing you need a cover for when travelling. Sometimes it is very low and emergency situation will generally be covered by your card. If you require additional medical treatment check the normal cost of Heathcare in thxcountry you visit and potential coverage by your current medical insurance.

Remember : insurance work by layers and if you are already covered by your credit card, an additional insurance will only cover the remaining amount, so do not pay for something you don't need.
While I agree that it is a good idea to check to see if you have travel insurance coverage through your credit card, coverages such as evacuation or repatriation are typically only available with cards that have annual fees in excess of $400 per year. As a result, for many travelers, a standard travel insurance policy may be both less expensive and have better coverage, such as with a waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion. -- Suzanne

Even with the highest level of credit cards that may include travel insurance perks, I believe they are only in effect if you pay the entire amount of the cruise fare, deposit through final payment, with that one card. I only mention this because it is not uncommon for people to use multiple payment methods - a credit card (sometimes more than one), check/bank card, reward points, Disney gift cards, etc. This generally negates the "free" travel perks which might have otherwise been included.

My son got sick with pneumonia ON our cruise. We thought his allergies were just kicking in from all the flowers and trees blooming in the ports. He finally started running a fever on the last night. Luckily we were off the ship by the time he started showing signs of being really sick.

I know this is mostly an old thread, but wanted to add a data point.

We were scheduled to sail on the 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Dream 3/7, we flew into Orlando late on 3/5 and planned a Magic Kingdom day Sunday before the cruise.

Our 7 year old struggled to fall asleep and was very restless that night, he woke up and had diarrhea around 2:00am and again at 3:00am, he then threw up (sensitive gag reflex) in the midst of this. We cancelled our morning FastPasses and I went to get some Imodium for him, he felt better that afternoon and begged up to go to the Magic Kingdom, he had eaten and was doing well, so we went. He rode Space and Splash Mountains and BTMRR, ate dinner without issue. My wife was panicked because of the form you have to fill out, got to port and even though I wanted to lie and say he hadn't had issues, I filled the form out properly listing his issues. They called over a supervisor who asked what happened, then they called the Nurse on board, handed me the phone and she asked what he had happening, I assumed we would either be denied at that point or restricted to in cabin. The nurse on the phone said we were fine and we went ahead and had a great cruise with no issues.

I know this is mostly an old thread, but wanted to add a data point.

We were scheduled to sail on the 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Dream 3/7, we flew into Orlando late on 3/5 and planned a Magic Kingdom day Sunday before the cruise.

Our 7 year old struggled to fall asleep and was very restless that night, he woke up and had diarrhea around 2:00am and again at 3:00am, he then threw up (sensitive gag reflex) in the midst of this. We cancelled our morning FastPasses and I went to get some Imodium for him, he felt better that afternoon and begged up to go to the Magic Kingdom, he had eaten and was doing well, so we went. He rode Space and Splash Mountains and BTMRR, ate dinner without issue. My wife was panicked because of the form you have to fill out, got to port and even though I wanted to lie and say he hadn't had issues, I filled the form out properly listing his issues. They called over a supervisor who asked what happened, then they called the Nurse on board, handed me the phone and she asked what he had happening, I assumed we would either be denied at that point or restricted to in cabin. The nurse on the phone said we were fine and we went ahead and had a great cruise with no issues.
Thanks for your post. This is helpful and comforting to know! Did they take your son's temperature or anything? Or just accepted the fact that he had been fine for the past 24 hours or so?

Thanks for your post. This is helpful and comforting to know! Did they take your son's temperature or anything? Or just accepted the fact that he had been fine for the past 24 hours or so?

Never took his temperature, just spoke on the phone, explained what happened and we were good to go.

I just deposited one check from the insurance company for over $1000 to cover half our flights due to a cancellation of an upcoming trip we can't go on because my dh lost his job. We should be getting another $1000 too. I sure am glad we took out insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter