Sick kid upon boarding and no trip insurance..will disney give you park/hotel passes?

I just deposited one check from the insurance company for over $1000 to cover half our flights due to a cancellation of an upcoming trip we can't go on because my dh lost his job. We should be getting another $1000 too. I sure am glad we took out insurance.

Good thoughts for you and your family. We went through DH getting laid off almost 2 years ago. We're luckier than most- DH had/has additional income, so that helps a lot. And we're pinching pennies big time. But we're hanging in there- and I know you can do it too.

I haven't cruised since 2000. The disclaimer would be an issue, since my middle kid is a puker. She throws up pretty much every time we're in a car for over an hour. Buses are even harder on her. Planes sometimes set her off too. She's not sick per say, just gets motion sick in vehicles.

I haven't cruised since 2000. The disclaimer would be an issue, since my middle kid is a puker. She throws up pretty much every time we're in a car for over an hour. Buses are even harder on her. Planes sometimes set her off too. She's not sick per say, just gets motion sick in vehicles.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to let you know what actually happens. If you say yes that your child has been throwing up in the last 72 hours (or whatever time it is can't remember) then you will meet with the ship's doctor. You can let them know that your child has motion sickness and they will examine her to determine if they find her fit to sail or not. Also if she gets motion sickness often then talk with her pediatrician about any medicine she may want so that she doesn't get nauseous as she may also get sea sick as well.

Why would anybody even tell them if your kid vomitted before a cruise. There are lots of reasons to vomit besides a virus. As a parent you should be able to determine wether your child is sick or not.

Why would anybody even tell them if your kid vomitted before a cruise. There are lots of reasons to vomit besides a virus. As a parent you should be able to determine wether your child is sick or not.

Because there is a document you have to sign and you attest that the information you provide is true and honest. I'm not sure if it is legally binding or anything but if they can trace an outbreak to you I would imagine they could foot you for the cleaning bill if you answered no but then admitted that your kid has been throwing up before the trip.

Attached is a picture of the questionnaire post ebola break out. I'm not sure if they are still using this one or not. Cruise Health Questionnaire Ebola(1).jpg

Because there is a document you have to sign and you attest that the information you provide is true and honest. I'm not sure if it is legally binding or anything but if they can trace an outbreak to you I would imagine they could foot you for the cleaning bill if you answered no but then admitted that your kid has been throwing up before the trip.

Attached is a picture of the questionnaire post ebola break out. I'm not sure if they are still using this one or not. View attachment 166873
Yeah ive been on a few cruises. Ive seen the questionare. If my kid vomits from motion or from eating to much junk food. Im not going to mention it pre cruise during cruise or post cruise.

Yeah ive been on a few cruises. Ive seen the questionare. If my kid vomits from motion or from eating to much junk food. Im not going to mention it pre cruise during cruise or post cruise.

:thumbsup2

Ok just in case my son gets sick and we don't find out till we are denied boarding....will disney do anything to try to compensate(park and hotel passes)...and no i do not plan on getting trip insurance...yet at least???:confused3
Are u kidding me?????

Some people feel it's important to be honest when your medical evaluation of your family might put others at risk if it is inaccurate. Most people think that doctors are better able to evaluate someone for illness than a family member without medical training. -- Suzanne

Some people feel it's important to be honest when your medical evaluation of your family might put others at risk if it is inaccurate. Most people think that doctors are better able to evaluate someone for illness than a family member without medical training. -- Suzanne
Its not rocket science. Most parents I would hope are capable of determining whether they need to take their kid to a Dr. It really doesnt take medical training to make that judgement call. My kid vomitted on our last cruise. He made the mistake of telling one of the counselors. They wouldnt let him in the edge until he got a note from medical. The kid was not sick. He ate something like 15 ice creams. Anyway I took him to medical they never even laid eyes on him they just handed me a note. They dont care they just have to CYA.

Well, if you don't have the easy explanation like chronic car sickness or the 15 ice creams, and your kid's throwing up, do you really know what's going on right there on the spot? Can you really rule out anything communicable?

I wonder how many less-than-accurate questionnaires are truly of the clear-cut "car sickness/too many snacks" variety vs. "he's sick and I'm not sure why, but it's probably nothing, and even if it's not 'nothing', I'm still not going to say anything right now because they might not let us on the ship."

Well, if you don't have the easy explanation like chronic car sickness or the 15 ice creams, and your kid's throwing up, do you really know what's going on right there on the spot? Can you really rule out anything communicable?

I wonder how many less-than-accurate questionnaires are truly of the clear-cut "car sickness/too many snacks" variety vs. "he's sick and I'm not sure why, but it's probably nothing, and even if it's not 'nothing', I'm still not going to say anything right now because they might not let us on the ship."
Fever, chills, lethargy. There are certain symptoms that accompany a virus vs an upset tummy. If your kid vomits and then is running around, bouncing off the walls it's most likely nothing. When my kids are truly sick they are down for the count.

it's most likely nothing

I think that's it right there - "most likely". DCL wants to be the one to make that call, or at least say they tried, vs. the parent who has an obvious bias to downplay the vomiting.

There are families who will say (or not say) whatever is necessary to get on that ship, other passengers' health be damned. For the brave and conscientious souls who actually speak up and admit that their kid had, whatever, diarrhea the morning of embarkation, I wonder how many are actually denied boarding.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter