• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude individuals on rides....

And I love when you politely ask someone to stop doing something like taking flash pictures on a dark ride, and they act all shocked, like it honestly had NEVER occurred to them that other people existed in the universe and that their behavior might affect others! I remember very nicely telling the woman ahead of me on it's a small world that whenever her flash went off it temporarily blinded me, and she had that reaction, plus eyerolling and laughter, like she didn't believe such a thing could be possible and I was probably just making it up or something. She DID stop flashing, though, which is more than most people do when asked.

We were at MK on New Year's Day. It was so crowded and they had the ropes up for a parade. All we were trying to do was make our way to the back of the park - not watch the parade or cut anyone. This family must have thought we were trying to take their spot. Now, understandable that they'd wanna defend their turf, but we said "excuse me" and "just cutting through." The family started pushing against us to the point that the rope was tight against us. I unlatched the rope and was yelled at by the CM. I started to walk away frustrated until I realized how it looked.

I turned around and apologized to the CM and explained what happened. They smiled (probably thinking "yeah right, you jerk!") and accepted my apology.

We've been cut on line for buses, we've been pushed, etc. Can't let it ruin or get to you. It got to me and I immediately stopped, took a breath and regrouped.

We actually made up a funny nickname for rude people. We're Islanders fans, so we played on Clutterbuck's name with "cutterbucks"

I don't know if people are getting ruder, or if I am just getting more crotchety and less tolerant as I age. I've gotten to the point where I WILL say something to flash photography jerks. I've also mastered the art of being immovable at my parade spot.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with the teenagers who think it's hilarious to shriek at the top of their lungs in mock terror on rides.... This has even happened on People Mover! It's not against the rules but it sure is annoying.

Once on POTC we sat behind a couple of ladies that talked about another family member's health issues the entire ride. They had to talk loudly to hear one another, so we were treated to the conversation as well. For the life of me I can't imagine why they even got on the ride because they couldn't have been paying enough attention to actually see any of it. It was more like they were taking a bus ride somewhere than on a treasured Disney attraction. It was just bizarre, lol. We just laughed about it and got back in line, no reason to let them ruin our time.

I also take issue with people who think that they have the right to shove their children in front of me at the parade. I get there early and wait, I'm not moving over or back. Guess to the guests who is not getting my spot, I'm probably the rude one...

This is why I don't take my DM to WDW anymore. She once stopped a band concert by taking loudly about her bra size. That is loud! I love her, but some people haven't got a clue. When we took her to Jellyrolls she jumped around and yelled so much that the singers thought she was drunk and made constant fun of her. She had no idea they were making fun of her. She kept looking around for the culprit. Makes for funny stories now! :teeth:

Usually I'm having so much fun that if someone is being rude I either ignore it or don't notice. But I did have one experience that I can't forget! We were on Three Caballeros and the man sitting in front on us kept reaching out and touching the scenery and rapping his knuckles on the faux stone walls of the attraction. My almost 3yo daughter kept asking why he was touching and I had to keep telling her that he was being naughty and that she had to keep her hands inside the boat. It was the strangest thing. He must've been able to hear me telling my daughter this, but he kept tapping away!

I did have one very nice experience, I was on small world and there were 2 girls behind me (just the 4 of us in the boat), not being loud, not doing anything I noticed. After the ride they came up and apologized to me, they said they were filming the whole ride because they were on a school trip and one's sister got sick and couldn't come so she wanted her to be able to experience it. She was so apologetic that she may have hurt my experience, I told her how very sweet that was but that I didn't even notice. She was happy, said she just wanted to be sure!

Those were of the most well mannered girls I have ever met at WDW. Or maybe anywhere. Probably only 12 or 13 too. So there are great guests!

This is another reason why I am so leery of a trip to the world under FP+ ... in the old days I could blow off the bad behavior because I knew that I could look forward to more rides during our 4-day trip ... now I'm afraid that my one FP+ ride will be ruined and we'll be unable to schedule additional rides. We don't have the luxury of 7-10 day trips.

Reactions: eva

Rude people? Every year, but have you ever been robbed? Happened to us twice in the same trip! Once while we were at EPCOT someone stole all of our water bottles that have the fans on them. We left them on a stroller never thinking for a second someone would steal them. Luckily they were replaced for free after we mentioned it to staff. Then a few days later while doing laundry at the hotel I had placed laundry detergent and dry sheets behind me as I sat in front of the washer, and someone took them. Unreal! That was a first. Also saw my first physical fight inside the MK during a parade right at the end by the exits and towards the end of the parade itself. A guy ran over a little kid trying to get a picture of the parade as it was ending, and the kids mom went right after him. Neither spoke English, and neither could understand one another. Sheriff's were inside and on them within seconds. Craziest thing I ever saw.

I can't believe the number of people who are watching their lives go by through their iPad screens! On our last trip, we were waiting for FOTLK to start and were remarking that we had a perfect view from our seats. The minute the music started, this lady is front of us pops her iPad up, higher than her own head and starts taping. It never seemed to occur to her that she might be blocking the view of people behind her. Her kids were sitting in front of her, I think by design so she could get them in the frame. She kept pestering them to turn around and look at the camera. The kids kept blowing her off because they wanted to watch the show. The more they ignored her, the louder she got. So basically, this wonderful show was happening right in front of this woman's eyes and she watched it through her iPad. Plus, her video is going to stink because it picked up her pestering her kids to turn around the whole time and get in the shot. I don't get it! You want to see the show again or show it to someone back home? Try Youtube!

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with the teenagers who think it's hilarious to shriek at the top of their lungs in mock terror on rides.... This has even happened on People Mover! It's not against the rules but it sure is annoying.

Hmmm... maybe if you call out to them "Are you okay?! Do we need to stop the ride?! Are you in pain?" might do it?? It will atleast confuse them! lol

DH, DD6 and I were taking a break in Gaston's Tavern and this little boy about 8 years old kept running up to the door and slamming his foot against it ... over and over and over and over again. It went on for about 5 minutes while his parents and grandparents ignored him and kept chatting. My husband quietly and politely mentioned to the father that they might want to have him stop before he hurt himself. The mother grabbed the boy then a moment later the father started yelling at my husband saying that it was rude to embarrass him (the father) in front of his parents (the grandparents) and my husband should have stopped the boy himself. He was foreign and my husband said that it is considered impolite here to reprimand other people's children. The guy kept yelling at my husband until we got up and left. We laughed it off and had a great rest of the day.

Last edited:
Now my flash photo story comes on the Little Mermaid. We had a guy in the shell behind us who thought flash would be great, like 4 pictures in the first 15 seconds of the ride... well, the ride stopped and he did it again... let's just say I've got a decent flash on my camera... Since the ride was stopped, the camera went right up over the top of the shell and I hit him in the eyes... Didn't see another flash the rest of the ride after that.
I think the design of the Little Mermaid ride makes flash photography especially annoying. We were in front of a girl that took a flash picture of everything. The clamshells are constantly turning so that you face the other clamshells all of the time. She blinded us at every turn.

We stopped going to the parades because of all the pushing and shoving. You can wait 45 minutes in order to get a good spot but as soon as the parade starts, sure enough someone who is more important than you will shove their way into your space. It's not worth the hassle.

This is another reason why I am so leery of a trip to the world under FP+ ... in the old days I could blow off the bad behavior because I knew that I could look forward to more rides during our 4-day trip ... now I'm afraid that my one FP+ ride will be ruined and we'll be unable to schedule additional rides. We don't have the luxury of 7-10 day trips.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you. You have 3 FP+ rides everyday besides whatever you can get after you have used them up. If they are spaced right that is at least 6 attractions (3 FP and 3 standby) just working around those 3 and many others that will be able to be ridden without additional FP's.

If I read your post wrong, I apologize, but, with just a little thought and minor math one can ride as many as they once did. Also if somebody does something that causes your ride to be ruined, ask a CM if you can ride again or go to guest services and explain the problem. They aren't tyrants there and if you approach them properly they are usually very willing to help you. Go in screaming and the chances are you will leave the same way.

only every single time i ride TOT....
i've been on countless times since 1994 and know the script by heart but that doens't mean i don't want to hear it.
Have you ever been physically grabbed and held during the drops?

Both I and my DS have.

Apparently, some people will grab a perfect stranger for support in a terrifying situation.

It was our first Disney trip, so we didn't realize that if you get motion sickness, Star Tours isn't the best ride. So me, my dad, and sister are all closing our eyes, trying not to puke...
So Disney puts warning signs at each ride entrance to advise guests about potential issues they might have with the ride.

startourswarningsign02.jpg

Photo credit to Philip's Disney Photos

This one time, I have no idea why, but the boats on It's a Small World were extremely backed up. Like, super SUPER backed up. We were in one of the rooms, completely stopped in an endless line of boats. A few boats ahead of us were a bunch of those crazy cheerleaders. Unsupervised, they got out of the boats and were literally dancing on the stages with the puppets. I swear on my life that they were DANCING on the stage, taking pictures and everything.

Was it rude and unnecessary? Oh, absolutely. But it's one of my family's favorite Disney memories. Those girls were insane, out of their mind. But my gosh, it was hilarious! I try not to let rude people bother me. In circumstances like these, they can actually be quite funny.

Have you ever been physically grabbed and held during the drops?

Both I and my DS have.

Apparently, some people will grab a perfect stranger for support in a terrifying situation.
I have never grabbed a stranger but one of our funniest ride pictures is of me hiding behind my 10 year old daughter on a big drop ride. So much for being the over protective mom who would do anything to protect her children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter