• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Revival of the angry thread!

We have a small ranch house (2br, 2ba) on 7 acres with a detached garage/shop and we pay about $5,000/yr, which is actually cheap for NJ. (I think it's so low because the house is really small.) Our sales tax is 7%.

We used to have a pig named Homer...it was supposed to be a mini-pot bellied....but that sucker got upto like 80lbs!!!! HE was really cute and sweet when he was little(he was only little for about 10 minutes), but once he hit puberty...he HATED my guts....he loved all the girls and my wife...even the dog...but he hated me with a passion...I think he knew I was the leader....and he wanted to kill me and take over. I was literally afraid to go in my backyard without a shovel. He would grumble in this low tone at me...kinda like a snarl...but with definate rhythm, more like a death chant. I honestly think Satan was channeling through him and he was threatening me.

We finally gave him away to some kids who wanted him...they lived in a 3rd floor apartment with a tiny balcony......I hope that sucker jumped!

7a616329.jpg

One of my friends' daughter has a pig as a pet. It's litter box trained. I wish I could train my dogs to do that! :lmao: I don't recall the pig having a problem with the daughter's DH, though. I think he's a pretty friendly pig. He's even best friends with the dog, Stanley, who is a dachshund.

Our taxes on our home in Polk County Fla are right at $3K/year-after $25K homestead exemption. Now mind you...our lot is tiny. In 2004, our property taxes were $978.00. In 2005-6 when real estate went outta site, the county propery appraiser up-ed the value of all homes in the county (by 25-30%). Now that the values are reduced, have they lowered the taxes? NOOOOO WAY!

My dear MIL had to choose between paying her property taxes or paying for home-owners insurance. Because her home is mortgage free, she dropped the insurance coverage. We've advised her if anything happens - she can sell the lot & move in with us. Actually, I wish she'd do that now cause I LOVE my MIL! My DH hopes it doesn't happen cause his mom & I are an evil pair & can find many ways to get into trouble!:thumbsup2

Our taxes on our home in Polk County Fla are right at $3K/year-after $25K homestead exemption. Now mind you...our lot is tiny. In 2004, our property taxes were $978.00. In 2005-6 when real estate went outta site, the county propery appraiser up-ed the value of all homes in the county (by 25-30%). Now that the values are reduced, have they lowered the taxes? NOOOOO WAY!

Sounds to me like the Democrats at work. :rotfl2:

That is too funny! Rog the reason the pig didn't like you was you were always smearing him up with brown sugar and putting little pineapple rings on his back and he was getting nervous!

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!! Ya'll are sick!!!!! And THAT was priceless, Karla!!!!

<sniff....sniff.....sniff>​

Do I smell sausage gravy and biscuits ????​

"This little piggy cried 'Wee Wee Wee' all the way to the butcher shop!"​

7a616329.jpg

The sad truth is that even if you own your home outright, you still have to pay the taxes or you could lose it due to a tax lien. It's heartbreaking to see the elderly who thought they had saved enough and had some sort of pension that can't pay their taxes. Some of these people may end up with a tax lien against their property and, if not eventually paid, can be foresclosed on by the lienholder. Can you imagine losing your life-long home because you couldn't afford to pay the taxes?

Our neighbors do have their home paid for. I mean they are comfortable if they rent out the basement apartment and their pension..but if they couldn't do that they'd be forced to relocate. We are looking at our situation down the road just a bit..and frankly I don't know how we will be able to retire here.

We left NJ in 03--our property taxes were over 10K. We came down here with my parents. They live a mile away in the same subdivision, so if they need me (they are 72 and 82) I am close by. The winters up north were also a major factor....I love winter down here in Fla. It's just gorgeous. The kids love being able to play outside year round, and Pete loves to play golf in January!!:goodvibes

Our taxes are $7,000...and we have Gruman and industry around us to take up some of the tax base...or they'd be higher. It's actually one of the reasons we've stayed where we are..the rest of the island is so much more, that our taxes are very reasonable in comparison. The winters are horrible here..as you know. Frankly there isn't enough snow to make it look nice..just enough to slip and slide and turn yucky grey in a day or so. Also...the older I get the longer my driveway seems to be getting...what is that? :confused: Why is it that kids aren't around when it needs to be plowed or shoveled? How do they manage that?:confused:
My parents are both in poor health. My dad is paralyzed on his right side, and uses a motorized wheel chair, and my mom has rhumetoid(sorry spelling) arthritis along with heart problems. They are 67 and 68. Moving us all would be an option..of course there is that little matter of an INCOME. :headache:

You are lucky to have made the choice when you did. The younger the better I think. My son who is NYPD has already made arrangements to take a Fl. state test, looking for a lateral transfer. We have one neighbor's son who was also NYPD and I think he now works for Broward County Sheriff Dept. The kid (well, a kid to me... he's 28) was shot while on the job there in a domestic dispute..and STILL won't come back to NY...he loves it there.

Our neighbors do have their home paid for. I mean they are comfortable if they rent out the basement apartment and their pension..but if they couldn't do that they'd be forced to relocate. We are looking at our situation down the road just a bit..and frankly I don't know how we will be able to retire here.

Our taxes are $7,000...and we have Gruman and industry around us to take up some of the tax base...or they'd be higher. It's actually one of the reasons we've stayed where we are..the rest of the island is so much more, that our taxes are very reasonable in comparison. The winters are horrible here..as you know. Frankly there isn't enough snow to make it look nice..just enough to slip and slide and turn yucky grey in a day or so. Also...the older I get the longer my driveway seems to be getting...what is that? :confused: Why is it that kids aren't around when it needs to be plowed or shoveled? How do they manage that?:confused:
My parents are both in poor health. My dad is paralyzed on his right side, and uses a motorized wheel chair, and my mom has rhumetoid(sorry spelling) arthritis along with heart problems. They are 67 and 68. Moving us all would be an option..of course there is that little matter of an INCOME. :headache:

You are lucky to have made the choice when you did. The younger the better I think. My son who is NYPD has already made arrangements to take a Fl. state test, looking for a lateral transfer. We have one neighbor's son who was also NYPD and I think he now works for Broward County Sheriff Dept. The kid (well, a kid to me... he's 28) was shot while on the job there in a domestic dispute..and STILL won't come back to NY...he loves it there.

Funny you should say that. You hear about shootings , alot of them are domestic. I guess because down here everyone has a gun. Not as much random violence. We live north of Tampa, and it's very nice.

Rheumatoid. Just helping you out, Phyllis.

Thanks.. ;) as many times as I've taken her to the Dr. you would think that I would know the correct spelling.

Funny you should say that. You hear about shootings , alot of them are domestic. I guess because down here everyone has a gun. Not as much random violence. We live north of Tampa, and it's very nice.

I have no idea where Broward County even is. .I just thought it was ironic that he was on the job here in NY and winds up getting shot in Florida on a domestic..and STILL won't come back to NY. He'd rather take his chances there. We all laughed about it..but tells you something about NY as of late.
I did have an Aunt and Uncle who lived near Tarpon Springs, and we flew into Tampa when we visited them. (they've since past away) We've visited Clearwater..and I have another Aunt who lives north in Jacksonville. They moved there some 25 years ago..and have never had any desire to move back. Also a cousin in Melbourne, however, I've yet to visit them.

My main concern would be my parents and my sister. I'm pretty much the only relative the kiddies have. Me being "Auntie" and all. We have brothers, but things haven't been good in the family for quite a while. They find the situation regarding my parents health ..oh..what was the phrase my brother used?...oh yes..."overwhelmingly depressing". Really..ya think? Who would have thought? Dopes. :rolleyes:
They choose to insulate their children from it, by not visiting or blaming my parents for their own health issues. I say..what difference does it make..they're our parents. You're kids don't break from seeing illness or hardship. You'd be surprised how compassionate and resilient they can be because of it. Kids, even young ones roll with it..they take their cue from their parents. Oh well...that's a WHOLE other post. Sorry about that.:guilty:

I have no idea where Broward County even is.
Broward County = Ft. Lauderdale and surrounding cities.
We have brothers, but things haven't been good in the family for quite a while. They find the situation regarding my parents health ..oh..what was the phrase my brother used?...oh yes..."overwhelmingly depressing". Really..ya think? Who would have thought? Dopes. :rolleyes:

I have another brother (besides Al) that, when I told him our mom was dying of lung cancer & only had about 6 weeks left to live, responded by saying: "Mom's a tough old bird. She'll pull through it." Talk about denial!!! Well, she did die 6 weeks later - almost to the day. Then, he didn't want to come down for her memorial service!:eek: I had some very choice words to say to him and needless to say, he did come down. He's the same brother who went into denial when our father was dying. Al, on the other hand, did what he could from 1500 miles away to help out - even if it was calling every day (before cell phones) and paying exorbitant long distance charges. Because I was the only child living in the area - I had the honors of being the caretaker. It was tough, but I made it. If Al could have helped in that respect, he would have done it in (pardon the expression) a New York minute.

My mom had this saying: "A son is a son til he takes a wife. A daughter's a daughter all of her life." This doesn't apply to Al, but certainly does to our other brother.

I have no idea where Broward County even is.
Broward County is the county north of Miami-Dade in the Southeast of Florida. From the furthest south it is Monroe (Keys), Miami-Dade (Miami, Coral Gables, hialeah, etc), Broward (Ft Lauderdale, etc) and West Palm Beach counties

I was just going to say near Miami, but well put. welcome to the crazy camping board.

Broward County is the county north of Miami-Dade in the Southeast of Florida. From the furthest south it is Monroe (Keys), Miami-Dade (Miami, Coral Gables, hialeah, etc), Broward (Ft Lauderdale, etc) and West Palm Beach counties

Lisbet Gabrielle,
I haven't been around on the camping board too long myself,,but if I am not mistaken , I have not seen you here before ? If you are new here, then Welcome ! If I am mistaken, then Wecome back !

Broward County is where half of the Cops episodes are filmed from! :happytv:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter