retiring and working at wdw

I figure that when DH and I retire we will just get a part time job to keep from driving each other nuts. That is why I told him we may as well just go to Florida and work for the Mouse. WDW or even VB. My father retired at 62 and got a part time job at a golf course to stay out of my mothers hair. He is now 75, still working at that golf course and plays golf almost every day. :teeth:

I have said for over two years that I was moving to Orlando when I retire :thumbsup2 And my job of choice would be with the Mouse. I have 26 years with the State of Tennessee so it will not be that long... I have 2 sons still in high school and an elderly father to care for so they have to come first right now.
My main problem is that I have never done anything like this in my life. I still live in the same small town I was born in. When my family responsiblities are finished I really don't know what this town holds for me.. I have many family members and friends in the Orlando area and really think that is where I want to be. I often dream of moving but the cost of housing scares me. $1000 each month for rent sounds so high and I'm not sure I want to live in a trailer. In Tennessee we know them as tornado bait. I'v seen some really cute trailer parks in Florida but just not sure about them, since the weather has gotten so strange.
When I wish upon a star the wish is to live in Orlando.

Count me in! :thumbsup2

I've always said when I retire from my present job, the only place I want to work is at WDW! :)

Does anybody know if you can work part time for a designated period of time during the year. For instance, if I lived in Florida for 3 or 6 months of each year, could I work just during that time?

Terri

Yes, snowbirds are welcome at Disney since students may not be available. As long as you will be able to give at lest two days a week they will be happy to have you.

My plan is to put my house up for sale this winter or spring and then when it sell's move to or around Orlando. The only job I will have to worry about is keeping the green flowing into WDW :dance3: . DD though not retiring plan's to also move and work at an area Hospital doing the same job she does now :thumbsup2 DD and I will be taking a trip to Orlando probably in the next couple of months to check out housing and of course visit Jelly Rolls. Susan

This thread is great and full of info! We just bought a home in Celebration, FL and hope to close this month or early next month. Our plan is to buy now and retire there later. I would love to work part time at disney someday! I want to RUN a pin cart! ;) DH has several years before retirement but we can plan and dream while we wait!

sammielynn..
i know what you mean about trailers being tornado bait but we figured at least if a hurricane hits we wouldnt be out as much as if we bought a condo. i hear insurance is really high down there.
my parents in clearwater just pack up there most prized possesions are head north and figure if a hurricane comes at least they dont have that much invested into it. they live in a nice retirement park.
i wonder if you get any options as to which disney park you want to work in or if they just place you anywhere. can you request the same park as your spouse.?
we know its hot in the summer months having visited every july, but we figured that is better than 4 or 5 months of winter in ohio. it can be really depressing not seeing the sun at all for weeks at a time.
we are enjoying reading all responses.

I'm in! My husband is a skier, so I never see him in the winter anyway. As soon as I retire, I'm wintering in Florida and working, if not for the mouse, at least somewhere close!

durango kid said:
Well, Here's my story to make you all jealous! I am not old enough to retire (which is code for not enough money). But, my wife has convinced me to leave my BELOVED COLORADO. In less the 24 hrs the moving van arrives.

Folks, were moving to Celebration!

Two months ago, I applied over the internet for a sales position with a major telcom. I flew out for an interview in May and I start on the 10th of July.

My wife is so excited, me less so, but as I said I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Colorado. But that being said, this all got started when I was on a business trip to Orlando in Sept. I had always wanted to see Celebration, but we never rent a car when we stay at WDW. This time the car was on the company dime. So, I'm driving around the town of Celebration, with my mouth hanging open. My fatal mistake was in calling the wife from the cell phone. "Honey, sell the house I'm not coming home" I was joking of course, but here I am a couple months later. I guess the moral of my post is...Why wait?

:cheer2: Congrats and good luck with your new life, :cheer2:
Deb

This is also on our radar. We've talked to CM's and even done some house hunting. (Prices seem inflated right now, I'm hoping it's a bubble) We would like to be seasonal, be in Fla 10/1-4/30, back in NE the other time. DD is 11, so I figure she has to be out of high school before we do it which will be 7 years. I figure I have 7 year to lobby for national health care, since that's the big stumbling block right now. In 7 years, DH and I will be 57, but without having FT work somewhere, we wouldn't have health ins. I wouldn't mind working FT, but haven't figured out how to that seasonally.

I have also thought about "retiring" in Orlando to work for WDW.
Can you work part time with DVC as a sales person? Does anyone know?
We are new to this DIS Forum and look forward to talking with everyone. :moped:

You have to have a real estate license to actually be a sales person and get the commissions.

Cheshire Figment said:
You have to have a real estate license to actually be a sales person and get the commissions.
my dw is a real estate agent in ohio. she may be better of selling for the mouse and i could work part time at one of the parks.
just reading this thread gets us excited. as i said, i can retire anytime now and we are exploring all options.
I wonder if working at disney takes away any of the fun of actually visiting the parks or just adds to the magic?

I'm a 35 year old single mom of DS's 10 and 13. I'm on the 5 year plan = as soon as DS 13 graduates high school, DS 10 and I are packing up and moving from Salem, Oregon to Orlando!

I soooooooo desperately want to work for Disney!!!

one thing folks considering this type of retirement plan need to take into consideration and research is the financial impact it may have on any retiree health insurance. some medical insurance plans offered as part of a retirement package skyrocket in cost if you move from the state your former employer is located in. as an example-i'm retired government and while i pay what i consider to be a great rate for very comprehensive health/dental coverage here-if i move out of state i'm not longer eligible to the hmo plans offered here and have to go into a ppo at almost quadruple what i pay now for my share (not including the co-pays and deductables). you also have to factor in any increased costs for car insurance (not sure what rates are like in orlando area, but i know there's a huge difference around here from town to town depending on crime rates), same with renters or homeowners insurance. with housing you have to take into consideration what is realistic for utilities in the area, and what would be realistic based on your comfort level with the heat/humidity-it could be more than you realise. and last but not least-factor in the "cost" of working. gas, car maintainance, lunches and taxes will all take a bite out of your earnings-and if limiting yourself to 2 or 3 days a week, depending on how far from wdw you would live-you could end up losing rather than making money.

that said-i've met some realy delightful p/t 'retiree' employees while visiting wdw who realy seem to enjoy it, but the happiest ones seemed to be those that did it purely for enjoyment and were in no way reliant upon it for the pay. i recall one gentleman in particular who said he and his wife had retired down to florida several years earlier and his decision to take a p/t job was based on their discovery that "there is only so much alone time a couple can stand" :teeth:.

best wishes on achieving your "magic dreams".

Well I'm closer to my goal. DD and I made resevations for October(BWV) and we will be looking into housing in many area's of Florida :dance3: Susan

What are some other nice communities close to Orlando that are worth looking at?

Well since 'm years from retiring I've asked my recruiter to find me WORK near Disney!!!...I can atleast go on each weekend til I'm plain tuckered out lolol! princess: :cool1: :cheer2: :joker:

I live in Solivita which is a very large adult community with real (not modular) houses. I normally figure 40 minutes to any of the parks. There are also resales here.

Membership in the Golf Club is optional. The monthly fees not only include security and almost all the activities, but standard cable TV and all landscape maintenance including sides and back of house.

One thing the developer did that was very unusual - the village center, with the health club and all the activities was open when the first family moved in.

I know at least one couple from Miami who realized they were spending so much time at WDW that they bought here. They have one car they keep in Miami, one they keep here, and one they use for going back and forth.

Wow Chesire Figment that place looks great. Too bad I've got another 8 years before I can retire. 40 minutes to each park is abit long but it's really not too bad and some of those floorplans look like they'd work out well for me.

I've always dreamed of retiring near WDW and possibly getting a job working for Disney. I wouldn't need the money but the perks and the magic would be worth it. But I'd sure miss my beard. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter